Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

This is what I got.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moxieman
Jul 30, 2013

I'd rather die than go to heaven.
Return it and buy better headphones and a mic.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

moxieman posted:

yeah hold on let me just tie my self to a cord so i can't roam my house listening to music.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

moxieman posted:

Negatron. Sometimes when I watch a movie I don't even pause it because I'll go to the can with these cans. Where is your god now?

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

OhsH posted:

yeah hold on let me just tie my self to a cord so i can't roam my house listening to music.

These things were invented for that, it's like really big headphones that sit on a desk so they're not even attached to your head! You can hear them from across the house too! And instead of an earpiece, they just have a big box to hold the speaker cone so it's even easier!

Besides, most decent music was designed for listening on a conventional standalone speaker system, the soundstage is all wrong when listening with headphones.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Speakers are definitely the way to go if you can get away with it. It even increases immersion for other people I race with because they get to hear my engine in the background whenever I talk! :v:

A good pair of traditional headphones will absolutely sound better than a gaming headset and anything that has more than one driver per ear is probably bullshit.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Butt kickers and headphones do it for me.

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
Advertised 7.1 headsets bother me because there are only two speakers in there.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

GhostDog posted:

This weekend you can get all current R3E content for €50.

And on the subject of R3E, while content and AI are really good, I'm disappointed with a lack of improvement regarding the boaty driving feeling, did anyone give the 2015 DTM a try and does it improve things?

Does anyone know which cars actually have a handbrake in that game? It seems to be a less popular game than the other sims so its been hard to find anyone talking about it recently.

There was a patchnote saying that you can use them outside of hillclimbs ...and yeah I don't always care about laptimes obviously. It'd be a fun way to take advantage of that boaty feeling.

Thief fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Nov 26, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

CaseFace McGee posted:

These things were invented for that, it's like really big headphones that sit on a desk so they're not even attached to your head! You can hear them from across the house too! And instead of an earpiece, they just have a big box to hold the speaker cone so it's even easier!

Besides, most decent music was designed for listening on a conventional standalone speaker system, the soundstage is all wrong when listening with headphones.

yeha bro let me roam the house while blaring music so mom can catch me.

solid fuckin idea bro.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
First they said FOV was not important, and I did not speak up.
Then they said physics are subjective, and I did not speak up.
Then they belittled my soundstage, but I didn't even notice because my cheap headphones had made me deaf.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Thief posted:

Does anyone know which cars actually have a handbrake in that game? It seems to be a less popular game than the other sims so its been hard to find anyone talking about it recently.

There was a patchnote saying that you can use them outside of hillclimbs ...and yeah I don't always care about laptimes obviously. It'd be a fun way to take advantage of that boaty feeling.

I actually find it much harder to drift in R3E than in other games, because I'm not getting the information I need through the wheel. Although to be fair I'm terrible at drifting anyway.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Black Friday sale on the Logitech G29 and G920. Earlier on someone reccomended the G27, but should I go for one of the discounted ones when I have the chance?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Black Friday sale on the Logitech G29 and G920. Earlier on someone reccomended the G27, but should I go for one of the discounted ones when I have the chance?

It's the same wheel basicly. So sure?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Only get the G29 if its cheaper than the G27.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

Converted from Norwegian bucks, the G29+stick is $346, the wheel alone is $311. The cheapest G27 I can find is $346. I'm prepared to close that tab if it's a bad idea, but I guess that even if the internals are pretty much the same as the G27, there are some improvements to speak of? Build quality, buttons and such?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Every review I've seen has said that the wheels are essentially identical. One definite thing the g27 has over the 29 is that it comes with an H shifter vs just a wheel and pedals

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Buy a Thrustmaster wheel for the same price.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Fayez Butts posted:

Every review I've seen has said that the wheels are essentially identical. One definite thing the g27 has over the 29 is that it comes with an H shifter vs just a wheel and pedals

Also the G27 shifter has a D-pad and buttons on it, which the G29 doesn't. I've heard people say the brake on the G29 pedals is a little firmer though.

Norns posted:

Buy a Thrustmaster wheel for the same price.

This too, if you can find a T150 + T3PA pedals for the same price get that instead because every review I've read says the FFB is way better.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Eh, gently caress it. I will not fall victim to the lure of Black Friday. Also, a Thrustmaster set will go well with my HOTAS Warthog.

Still gonna wait for sale though, it's quite painful. I really want a wheel, man, I really want a wheel.

Edit: Also, using the Warthog joystick as the handbrake would be loving awesome. Oh man.

bUm
Jan 11, 2011

Black Griffon posted:

Still gonna wait for sale though, it's quite painful. I really want a wheel, man, I really want a wheel.

Edit: Also, using the Warthog joystick as the handbrake would be loving awesome. Oh man.
The T-150 is a month old; I figured I'd wait around just in case it went on sale during the holidays, but I'm doubtful it will (hasn't yet). Other Thrustmaster stuff might though if you were curious at something beyond entry level.

Sounds like it might break the joystick unless you were gentle with it (what's the fun in that?).

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Considering some of the panicked climbs and dives I've done dog fighting, I expect that the stick will handle some panicked handbrake turns after botching hundreds of jumps in Finland.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

So there is a stealth sale on Raceroom stuff if you don't want the everything for €50 deal, all the tracks are now 30% off. Individual only though, not the packs. I think a lot of Raceroom's handling problems come down to the FFB having near Project Cars levels of option bloat. Yeah sure changing lateral and vertical force and all that is cool but I've never seen anyone complain that they can't do it in something like iRacing or AC. It just makes setting up FFB a chore when there are more than 3 different settings to tweak to try and get it where you want it.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand FFB is subjective so more options seems sensible, but then again it's part of the characteristics of a car and it seems to be the car developer's responsibility to get it right.

I personally tend to enjoy the FFB in games with few options (rF2, SCE, iRacing) more, although that might be in part a result of my brain just accepting it for what it is whereas in the face of many sliders it can't stop tinkering.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

I'm in two minds about it. On the one hand FFB is subjective so more options seems sensible, but then again it's part of the characteristics of a car and it seems to be the car developer's responsibility to get it right.

I personally tend to enjoy the FFB in games with few options (rF2, SCE, iRacing) more, although that might be in part a result of my brain just accepting it for what it is whereas in the face of many sliders it can't stop tinkering.

That's generally the way I am too, the rFactor FFB slider and effects presets are easily my favourite. You're still getting all the information just in different forms. More games need to have FFB clipping displays though like iRacing does, makes tuning the FFB in game way easier.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Does anyone here have rF2 modding chops and knows how to change the windshield texture on a car? I'm talking specifically about the Celica on the Steam workshop, I love the car but I really really hate the annoying heater wires or whatever that is.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Yay, grabbed that get all of R3E's content for 50 euro. Will have to find a way to make the game play nice with my G27, last time I tried the 2014 ADAC experience the FFB felt like rear end and the wheel was oscillating like crazy but I put it down to me being a lazy SOB because there's no way it can be that bad, hell from what I could tell Bruno Spengler used a g27 in one of the promo vids for the new DTM experience.

So I guess what I'm saying is yay yanks for having black friday become a thing for stingy sim racers and does anyone have a decent g27 setup to recommend for R3E?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Illuminated Rodent posted:

Yay, grabbed that get all of R3E's content for 50 euro. Will have to find a way to make the game play nice with my G27, last time I tried the 2014 ADAC experience the FFB felt like rear end and the wheel was oscillating like crazy but I put it down to me being a lazy SOB because there's no way it can be that bad, hell from what I could tell Bruno Spengler used a g27 in one of the promo vids for the new DTM experience.

So I guess what I'm saying is yay yanks for having black friday become a thing for stingy sim racers and does anyone have a decent g27 setup to recommend for R3E?

Those are the settings I use.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Cheers, looks like they're slightly lower then what I ran going by memory, will have to try it out.

Edit: Alright, gave them a whirl and it's a world of difference to last time I tried the game. Also wow you guys weren't kidding about the sounds, took out one of the new Merc DTMs for a spin and the only other car to ever sound so "We've stripped EVERYTHING out to make it go faster" I've tried was the SCG003 in Assetto Corsa, but that only had the jank and none of the engine roar.

Illuminated Rodent fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Nov 27, 2015

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
R3e has the best sounds bar none.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Unknown lifelong ambition to win Spa in a Volvo complete, some days are better than others to be a sim racer.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
How many people here have rF2, and what are the chances of getting some multiplayer together? I'd really love a historic Spa session, and the AI can't deal with that track without a least 3 major pileups in the first two laps.

osker
Dec 18, 2002

Wedge Regret

GhostDog posted:

How many people here have rF2, and what are the chances of getting some multiplayer together? I'd really love a historic Spa session, and the AI can't deal with that track without a least 3 major pileups in the first two laps.

I've got it.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?

GhostDog posted:

I don't have online :( and I need to reinstall anyway, I tried it yesterday and something is broken. Screen tweaked out while I tried to change control mapping, and I couldn't change my car.

Illuminated Rodent
Oct 28, 2010
Skipped on online for rF2 aswell, sorry. Does highlight just how stupid their MP paywall is though.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
bought rf2 a long time ago but didn't get unlimited MP so yeah not happening.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Oh wait, you can't even do normal p2p multiplayer? I thought the online subscription was only for services/servers they provided, I don't actually have a subscription myself. I'm starting to see why rF2 is treading water, so many dumb decisions.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Important PSA for people looking to get into sim racing:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

GhostDog posted:

Important PSA for people looking to get into sim racing:

Welp, here we go. I grabbed that Codemaster Humble Bundle with Dirt 3 and Grid Autosport and it's been a fun time with a gamepad, so I may as well get a good wheel. Also for the upcoming Elite: Dangerous space buggies. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

GhostDog posted:

Oh wait, you can't even do normal p2p multiplayer? I thought the online subscription was only for services/servers they provided, I don't actually have a subscription myself. I'm starting to see why rF2 is treading water, so many dumb decisions.

Yeah, you cant even launch the multiplayer menu unless you have a subscription. Its a part of why even most leagues have ignored it. Only endurance and the Formula Sim Racing leagues I think use it for the weather and dynamic track stuff.

• Locked thread