Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Dead Reckoning posted:

Has anyone seen the full Kunduz report posted yet? I assume it will be redacted in portions, but someone must have FOIA'd it by now.

Unfortunate words words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words mistakewords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words [spoiler] words words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words legally justified words words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words Noncomissioned Officer reduced in rank due to words words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words Commanding Officer promoted words words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words wordswords words words Please RSVP to Promotion Party NLT words words wordswords words words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

Has anyone seen the full Kunduz report posted yet? I assume it will be redacted in portions, but someone must have FOIA'd it by now.

So setting aside mlmp08's excellent summary (which will probably be 100% accurate, just maybe substitute "PIC" and "removed from flight orders" for "NCO" and "reduced in rank"), all I'll say is that I'll be pissed when the gunship crew inevitably gets hung out to dry while the incompetent rear end in a top hat(s) in the TOC are inevitably given free passes.

Plenty of blame to go around here but reading between the lines of the press conference it sounds like they're trying to hang all the blame on the gunship crew which is bullshit.

e: also the fact that apparently a critical component in the C2 failure chain was that the gunship lost the ability to transmit/receive on mIRC and the ability to push ROVER really says everything that needs to be said about our ability to operate in anything close to a denied environment.

iyaayas01 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 26, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

iyaayas01 posted:

Plenty of blame to go around here but reading between the lines of the press conference it sounds like they're trying to hang all the blame on the gunship crew which is bullshit.

I dunno, it sounded like there will be plenty of deep dicking to go around:

quote:

Another chance to catch the mistake was missed when the aircrew transmitted to their operational headquarters at Bagram Airfield that they were about to engage the building. “They provided the coordinates for the [Doctors Without Borders] trauma center as their target,” the general said. “The headquarters was aware of the coordinates for the ... trauma center and had access to the no-strike list, but did not realize that the grid coordinates for the target matched a location on the no-strike list or that the aircrew was preparing to fire on the hospital.”

The strike began at 2:08 a.m., according to the report. At 2:20 a.m., a special operations forces officer at Bagram received a call from Doctors Without Borders saying their facility in Kunduz was under attack. “It took the headquarters and the U.S. special operations commander until 2:37 a.m. to realize the fatal mistake,” Campbell said. “At that time, the AC-130 had already ceased firing. The strike lasted for approximately 29 minutes.”

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Dead Reckoning posted:

I dunno, it sounded like there will be plenty of deep dicking to go around:

Yeah I read a more detailed account that you posted in another thread after I posted that, they might actually spread it around a little more equitably

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

NightGyr posted:

I'd imagine if you have some anti-IR jamming capability, pointing it at enemy fighters would be an off-label usage to gently caress with people you're not supposed to be shooting at.
The minute you do that they're going to turn around and try and paste you. There's no difference to them between jamming their countermeasures and actually trying to lock on.

Buttcoin purse
Apr 24, 2014

iyaayas01 posted:

the gunship lost the ability to transmit/receive on mIRC

Did an @op /kick them from #war? :v:

Seriously I can't Google this, what is this?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The U.S. Military failed to develop a safe and convenient communication system that could be used broadly, so now they do a lot of IRC over secure networks.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd
Yup, they literally just ported mIRC over onto SIPRNET (US military's classified network) and now it's used to communicate in real-time securely. Unsurprisingly it also entails lots of dick and poop jokes, shameless awkward flirting as soon as a user is outed as a woman, and then occasionally in the middle of that someone will pass a nine-line for a plane to drop a bomb on some guy.

There's also ways to have connectivity to/from a flying airplane, so it's entirely common for aircrew to be communicating with guys on the ground/C2 centers/other planes/etc via mIRC while flying. Godholio has some stories about this IIRC.

KingPave
Jul 18, 2007
eeee!~
Holy poo poo, mIRC on a plane has just blown my mind.

Do they DCC send things across when they need to do file updates? Can they get a custom hostname on the server? I have to know!

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

do you guys have bots

standard.deviant
May 17, 2012

Globally Indigent

Forums Terrorist posted:

do you guys have bots
We used to, but then an evil IT guy handed the entire contents of NSAnet to Russia so we aren't allowed to have fun anymore.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

truly snowden's greatest crime

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

B4Ctom1 posted:

I am curious to see what happens when a TOW hits an S-400.

Shouldn't think we'll have to wait long... :getin:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

standard.deviant posted:

We used to, but then an evil IT guy handed the entire contents of NSAnet to Russia so we aren't allowed to have fun anymore.

I miss the CENTCOM quiz-bots.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

iyaayas01 posted:

Yup, they literally just ported mIRC over onto SIPRNET (US military's classified network) and now it's used to communicate in real-time securely. Unsurprisingly it also entails lots of dick and poop jokes, shameless awkward flirting as soon as a user is outed as a woman, and then occasionally in the middle of that someone will pass a nine-line for a plane to drop a bomb on some guy.

This is basically the best thing about the military I've ever read.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

iyaayas01 posted:

There's also ways to have connectivity to/from a flying airplane, so it's entirely common for aircrew to be communicating with guys on the ground/C2 centers/other planes/etc via mIRC while flying. Godholio has some stories about this IIRC.

In most planes it's an incredibly janky kludge with a standalone laptop hooked into a SATCOM modem. It drops connection all the time and is a huge pain in the rear end to set up and maintain, but we do it because all the ground C2 agencies use it for everything and it's the only way to play.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Until Snowden ruined things please tell me every channel had a buttbot.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Wingnut Ninja posted:

In most planes it's an incredibly janky kludge with a standalone laptop hooked into a SATCOM modem. It drops connection all the time and is a huge pain in the rear end to set up and maintain, but we do it because all the ground C2 agencies use it for everything and it's the only way to play.

Absolutely true.

AWACS' first chat setup included about a 10" dildo-shaped antenna (the dongtenna) that was stuck out through the sextant port behind the flight deck. From there, about 30" of cable connected it to the various devices used from encryption/processing which were mounted on the second bank of radar scopes, then sent to a laptop on the front bank (where the controllers sit). For a while there was another laptop on the second bank (for crew leadership) and another on the rear bank (for the surveillance techs). Then Boeing threw a fit over these laptops overloading the aircraft's electrical system, and two of the laptops went away (but one came back later).

Our mIRC familiarization training explicitly said not to slap users with a fish.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Army mIRC and major joint chat rooms have typically been highly policed to the point of getting damned phone calls if you capitalize things wrong.

I leave the shelter for thirty seconds and come back to a phone call blowing me up because the trout slap is not an authorized function. Thanks, PFC asshat.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Godholio posted:

Absolutely true.

AWACS' first chat setup included about a 10" dildo-shaped antenna (the dongtenna) that was stuck out through the sextant port behind the flight deck. From there, about 30" of cable connected it to the various devices used from encryption/processing which were mounted on the second bank of radar scopes, then sent to a laptop on the front bank (where the controllers sit). For a while there was another laptop on the second bank (for crew leadership) and another on the rear bank (for the surveillance techs). Then Boeing threw a fit over these laptops overloading the aircraft's electrical system, and two of the laptops went away (but one came back later).

Our mIRC familiarization training explicitly said not to slap users with a fish.

I didn't say there was a GOOD way to have connectivity from a plane, just that there was a way :v:

And yeah, truth in advertising like everything the military touches a lot of the fun has been sucked out of mIRC broadly speaking. Although I've still seen some shenanigans in some of the RPA specific chat rooms because there's not a lot of outside users and everyone in the community hates their lives so might as well have a little fun.

But I'm fully expecting that to be the next victim of the Great Welsh 1-1 Cultural Revolution of 2015 (not to be confused with the Great Welsh Professionalism Purge of 2012)

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

iyaayas01 posted:

I didn't say there was a GOOD way to have connectivity from a plane, just that there was a way :v:

It actually got a lot better. After a couple of years they removed the unused IBS antenna and replaced it with a dedicated antenna for this sort of thing. Connectivity is significantly better than it used to be, too.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Godholio posted:

:cryingcurtislemay:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

mlmp08 posted:

Army mIRC and major joint chat rooms have typically been highly policed to the point of getting damned phone calls if you capitalize things wrong.

I leave the shelter for thirty seconds and come back to a phone call blowing me up because the trout slap is not an authorized function. Thanks, PFC asshat.

Oh, Military. You make such simple things so hard.

Also: to every Canadian who is worried about the national shipbuilding strategy, I have an emoticon for you:

:megadeath:

No seriously its

:nallears:

quote:

Shipbuilding strategy needs work to get ballooning costs under control, ministers told

The government's massive $39-billion national shipbuilding procurement strategy (NSPS) is in need of repair, with costs for some projects soaring by as much as 181 per cent and others on the cusp of being cancelled, according to briefing materials prepared for some Liberal ministers.

CBC News has learned Defence Minister Harjit Sajjan and Public Services Minister Judy Foote were warned the government needed to institute a four-point "action plan" to get the program back on track.

They were told budgets set under the procurement strategy process were out of line and "did not adequately account for risks and uncertainty."

As a result, the government would have to "review costing for all NSPS projects and seek funding decisions where budgets are aligned with cost estimates."

That suggests the $39-billion program could be set to grow even larger, or that parts of it could be cancelled.

[...]

There was also a warning that another planned coast guard ship, the offshore oceanographic science vessel (OOSV), would need to have its funding envelope increased, as would the multi-billion-dollar replacement program for Canada's frigates.

The frigate program is for up to 15 so-called Canadian surface combatants (CSC) and has a rough budget of $26.2 billion. Those ships are to be built at the Irving Shipyards Inc. facility in Halifax.

No design has been selected for those vessels and the government has not decided on their intended capabilities. The warning of cost increases so early in development suggests there is some problem other than design.

The OOSV is a one-off design to replace the now 53-year old CCGS Hudson. The venerable science vessel's replacement was once expected to have been in service by 2014.

It's not clear why its cost is expected to rise but the briefing warns the government will soon need to make a decision on whether to proceed with the more expensive program.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/shipbuilding-procurement-action-plan-1.3336604

PS> Austerity made the UK scrap its fleet of ASW aircraft?!

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Consider the source obviously, but there is some interesting stuff here:
http://anonhq.com/40550-2/

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

What nimrods. :rolleyes:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

lol yup. The 2010 cuts included the UK getting rid of its entire fleet of Nimrods, because as an island nation why would you want any sort of maritime patrol/ASW aircraft?

This included them sending newly refurbished MRA4s direct to the scrappers.

They just announced they're buying a handful of P-8s....so if previous MoD procurement of US systems is to be used as a yardstick these will probably be ready to enter service sometime in 2030 but they'll only do so with limited daylight only capability and won't be capable of flying higher than 1,000 feet.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Austerity in the UK is both completely unneeded and hilariously damaging to just about everything.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

iyaayas01 posted:

lol yup. The 2010 cuts included the UK getting rid of its entire fleet of Nimrods, because as an island nation why would you want any sort of maritime patrol/ASW aircraft?

That was the same Defence Review that hosed up the RN's carrier plans by retiring the Harrier immediately instead of leaving it in service until the JSF force came online (note this was before it was obvious just how hosed the 35B program was) to provide continuity of fixed-wing air operations.

A few months later Libya happened, and all they could fly from H.M.S. Ocean was a few Army Apaches.

Propagandalf
Dec 6, 2008

itchy itchy itchy itchy
lol Corbyn

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Yeah, he's kinda dumb.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

B4Ctom1 posted:

Consider the source obviously, but there is some interesting stuff here:
http://anonhq.com/40550-2/
Here's the non-Anon source. (RT, I know, not much better.)

I'm deeply suspicious of that 2,244 number, because airspace in the Agean is all kinds of hosed up. I'm wondering how many of those "incursions" were in the 4 nm belt of national airspace beyond their territorial waters that the Greeks claim, but that the Turks don't recognize.

Warbadger
Jun 17, 2006

Dead Reckoning posted:

Here's the non-Anon source. (RT, I know, not much better.)

I'm deeply suspicious of that 2,244 number, because airspace in the Agean is all kinds of hosed up. I'm wondering how many of those "incursions" were in the 4 nm belt of national airspace beyond their territorial waters that the Greeks claim, but that the Turks don't recognize.

Putin's Russia and Erdogan's Turkey deserve each other.

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

the rule of thumb with politicians is good domestic/foreign policy, pick one

would you rather the brits actually had a non-token military from ditching austerity or for them to bomb syria with a lonely worn-out eurofighter

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Yes. Ever since 2011, the Royal Navy has called the French Navy to send an Atlantique 2 over Lossiemouth to open the way every time one of the British subs departs from or arrives to Faslane. It's hilarious.

This is from the same wellspring of good decisions that saw, well, pretty much everything related to the CVF carriers.

Forums Terrorist posted:

the rule of thumb with politicians is good domestic/foreign policy, pick one

would you rather the brits actually had a non-token military from ditching austerity or for them to bomb syria with a lonely worn-out tornado

Fixed.

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005

iyaayas01 posted:

And yeah, truth in advertising like everything the military touches a lot of the fun has been sucked out of mIRC broadly speaking. Although I've still seen some shenanigans in some of the RPA specific chat rooms because there's not a lot of outside users and everyone in the community hates their lives so might as well have a little fun.

But I'm fully expecting that to be the next victim of the Great Welsh 1-1 Cultural Revolution of 2015 (not to be confused with the Great Welsh Professionalism Purge of 2012)

one time back in my big air force days we had a sperglord 14N 2LT who made a whole script simulating some kind of countdown and nuclear strike nonsense that spammed up the Wing Ops chatroom for like 5 minutes straight.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Cat Mattress posted:

Yes. Ever since 2011, the Royal Navy has called the French Navy to send an Atlantique 2 over Lossiemouth to open the way every time one of the British subs departs from or arrives to Faslane. It's hilarious.

Holy poo poo.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Holy poo poo.

I hope the French charge a fuckton per hour for that plane. lol

uncleTomOfFinland
May 25, 2008

iyaayas01 posted:

Kind of odd they'd go for the non-opensource client made by a guy of palestinian-syrian origin. :tinfoil:

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

uncleTomOfFinland posted:

Kind of odd they'd go for the non-opensource client made by a guy of palestinian-syrian origin. :tinfoil:

Nah I'm sure it was purchased from a minority veteran owned company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

iyaayas01 posted:

This included them sending newly refurbished MRA4s direct to the scrappers.

I'm just - really can't maek words about how stupid this is

honestly, I thought we'd plumbed the depths of modern procurement idiocy in this thread.