Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

These images aren't loading for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
So you want to do some modding? First things first you need to google WIP tes5edit OR go to this link http://afkmods.iguanadons.net/index.php?/topic/3750-wipz-tes5edit/ and grab the download "xEdit" in that first post, as of writing this it is "xEdit 211115a" but thats subject to change as it updates.

Unzip that download and rename "tes5edit" to "FO4Edit" as shown below.

Load it up and you should see something like this, your main files with any mods you currently have installed (ignore the bottom one, that didnt pan out)

Select whichever you want to include, probably none unless you want to be sure you dont conflict and press ok, you should get this.

Find what you want to edit, for example under weapons we find Assault Rifle then we want to change it, so we right click and choose "Copy as override into" to create a new plugin.

Ignore this warning, you are a modder, you obviously know what you are doing.

Tick the bottom box for a new plugin.

Give it a name.

Will tell you that the main file will be a master, thats fine, click ok.

Heres the important view, original values on the left (cannot be edited) and your mod/mods on the right there.

Right click to edit and add your completely balanced change.

You should end up with this, ctrl + s saves or you will be prompted upon leaving, go test it out!

Obviously this is just a quick overview, i'm sure iron rose could tell you a lot more but there are a ton of variables that can be changed all over the place. The biggest issue is FINDING them, you can search formID or editorID at the top, form id is a string of letters and numbers, editor id is usually plaintext and should give you a good idea of what it is. Have fun and try not to ruin everything.

Edit: reposted for new page.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
my hero :swoon:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

This is really helpful! Unfortunately everything I'd want to change appears to be stored entirely in confusing unlabeled hexadecimal :(

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I notice that when I copy over certain entries, like say "000A2777 <fVATSChancePerceptionMultiplier>" into the new esp, Version Control Info 1 and Version Control Info 2 get zeroed out. Should that be happening?

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I notice that when I copy over certain entries, like say "000A2777 <fVATSChancePerceptionMultiplier>" into the new esp, Version Control Info 1 and Version Control Info 2 get zeroed out. Should that be happening?

I honestly couldnt tell you, I BELIEVE version control info is for merging stuff in the creation kit, but I could be wrong. May want to see if iron rose can shed some light on it or do a test run yourself.

Alabaster White posted:

This is really helpful! Unfortunately everything I'd want to change appears to be stored entirely in confusing unlabeled hexadecimal :(

Depending what it is you might find someone has made some forays into it, some people have taken a brute force approach to just seeing what the hell stuff does.

Kea fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Nov 26, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

I've been trying to change my dude into a ghoul, player.setrace ghoulrace works but for some reason it gives you a bloody neck like you got decapitated. Anyone know how to fix that?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Doctor Schnabel posted:

I pm'ed the guy and he said he used snip, so it appears to be filthy, yes.

Time for another restart....

Instead of using this logic, isn't there a way to open one of these mods made in xSnip in Fo4Edit and see if its broken?

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Zodium posted:

This is so minor, but I'm actually kind of excited someone made it. Durable Vertibirds.

I want a mod that makes Vertibird wrecks have loot - every one I've shot down ( :smuggo: ) or have seen shot down never has any sort of lootable stuff like weapons, circuits, junk, etc.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Alabaster White posted:

Depending on what you want to alter, you can look at the raw hex for recognizable values and see if changing them affects anything. For instance, back when we weren't sure what specific variables controlled weapon damage, I made early weapon damage mods by looking at the raw hex of .esps with weapon records and finding values that corresponded to recognizable integers in game. So if I wanted to edit the 10mm pistol which has a default damage of 18, I'd look in hex for "12" (which is 18 in base 16), see what I could find, make changes, then see if they showed up in game. Or if I wanted to edit the damage the missile launcher did (15 from the actual missile itself hitting your enemy) I'd look in hex for 0F (which is in hex, translates to 15 in base 10), see what I could find, make changes and see if they were reflected in game.

LumberingTroll posted:

Instead of using this logic, isn't there a way to open one of these mods made in xSnip in Fo4Edit and see if its broken?

Yes, you can look at what a given mod edits in FO4edit, but to be sure you'd have to do a byte by byte comparison (a binary comparison shouldn't be necessary) with the given mod in xSnip and a mod with equivalent changes in xEdit, at which point you may as well use the mod made in xEdit.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Experimenting with a modification of Weapons Overhaul (retrieved 1.5 days ago) that changes calibers accordingly and attempts to change rate of fire on several weapons.

10mm Pistol: "fire delay value" changed from 0.2143 to 0.1667
Assault Rifle: "fire delay value" changed from 0.25 to 0.1333
Combat Rifle: .45 to 5.56, capacity reverted to 20, "fire delay value" changed from 0.30 to 0.25
Combat Shotgun: "fire delay value" changed from 0.50 to 0.3333
Double Barrel: "fire delay value" changed from 0.275 to 0.50
Submachine Gun: "fire delay value" changed from 0.15 to 0.2222, damage increased to 25
Deliverer Pistol: 10mm to .38, damage reverted to 25.
Pipe Gun: "fire delay value" changed from 0.18 to 0.125
Pipe Bolt-Action: .308 to 5.56mm, damage changed to 50, "fire delay value" of 0.15 set to 0.0
---Attempted to change .50 Caliber rechambering to .308
Pipe Revolver: "fire delay value" changed from 0.15 to 0.00
.44 Revolver: "fire delay value" changed from 0.15 to 0.00

Gonna try to play a game starting from the vault, and if things glitch out, gonna try starting over again with intro on 100x speed because :suicide:

I also changed the ammo leveled items with certain weapons to the modified ammo types.

If it turns out to work as intended and doesn't gently caress up the item definitions I'll post it here.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Okay, found that automatic weapon speed, bolt action speed, and single action revolver speed is as usual a completely different value than the "fire delay" thing :smith:

At least semi-auto fire rates are changeable.

I think we could make some headway if we could pin down what other floating point values are lurking around the weapon stats.

Anime Schoolgirl fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Nov 26, 2015

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I never knew mods in NV or FO 3 to require me to edit the INI file. Is this a new requirement in FO 4, or is it simply a requirement when you modify the HUD, like with DarnUI?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

New requirement since Skyrim due to workshop integration, actually

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Has anyone tried this overhaul?: Arbitration

Seems pretty sweet. I love his video demonstrations, he shows the same gunfight twice side-by-side, one with the mod active and one vanilla.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Has anyone tried this overhaul?: Arbitration

Seems pretty sweet. I love his video demonstrations, he shows the same gunfight twice side-by-side, one with the mod active and one vanilla.

Havent tried it but basically he just turned their aggression all the way up so they will always fight. This is fine in this case because he doesn't claim otherwise but I remember a modder from skyrim who claimed to have modified the AI for combat loads and then someone checked and he had just done what this guy had done.

edit: after looking at the videos apparently all his change does is make the npcs stand out in the open like idiots and spray bullets constantly. It may be harder but it's not realistic to how someone would act in a gunfight (err on the side of defense if they have good cover etc)

Kea fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Nov 26, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
To be clear, the left side of the video is the modded version. I'm assuming you got them mixed up because that's not what I'm seeing. And yeah, it does seem to set the A.I. to always fight, but what's the problem with that? It means they won't wait for you to attack to initiate the encounter.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Nov 26, 2015

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

To be clear, the left side of the video is the modded version. I'm assuming you got them mixed up because that's not what I'm seeing. And yeah, it does seem to set the A.I. to always fight, but what's the problem with that? It means they won't wait for you to attack to initiate the encounter.

I know the left side is, check the videos, npcs attack constantly and don't try to move to cover. Don't get me wrong it will make things harder but it does it by removing their defensive behaviour.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Yesssssssssss

(FO 1 & 2 music)

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2990/

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Boo, it just replaces music not add them to the current ones.
We have to wait for the big music overhaul mods where we can add our own tracks to the game like in FO3

Kea
Oct 5, 2007
Fun fact, there is a tutorial message in the files to explain loads of how workshops work including explaining that high defense makes them happier and that they also like shops. I have never seen this message in game.

edit: In other news I have spent an hour or two seeing If I could change the area of a settlements buildable area, no such luck however, found more than a few references to things but nothing I can change does any good.

Kea fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Nov 26, 2015

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Kea posted:

Fun fact, there is a tutorial message in the files to explain loads of how workshops work including explaining that high defense makes them happier and that they also like shops. I have never seen this message in game.

Fun fact this is all in game, under the help menu.

Kea posted:

Havent tried it but basically he just turned their aggression all the way up so they will always fight. This is fine in this case because he doesn't claim otherwise but I remember a modder from skyrim who claimed to have modified the AI for combat loads and then someone checked and he had just done what this guy had done.

edit: after looking at the videos apparently all his change does is make the npcs stand out in the open like idiots and spray bullets constantly. It may be harder but it's not realistic to how someone would act in a gunfight (err on the side of defense if they have good cover etc)

Thats only what his Combat mod does, which is one of like 6 mod parts. the whole thing "Arbitration" together is actually pretty decent so far, I've been using it.

Kea
Oct 5, 2007

LumberingTroll posted:

Fun fact this is all in game, under the help menu.

Thats only what his Combat mod does, which is one of like 6 mod parts. the whole thing "Arbitration" together is actually pretty decent so far, I've been using it.

Well drat that teaches me for not checking for a help menu. As for "arbitration" I'm just saying what it does, i'm not saying its bad just that I personally dont like the changes the guy made, thats all.

Well drat just looked back at it and it looks like he has made them flank more and such so it's probably a lot better than when I looked at it.

Kea fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Nov 26, 2015

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
drat I just found out about Snip aids. Been using SSEx pretty much from the start. Is just removing the mod and hoping for the best a good idea?

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Berious posted:

drat I just found out about Snip aids. Been using SSEx pretty much from the start. Is just removing the mod and hoping for the best a good idea?

only other option is to just start over without it, however its not guaranteed that it breaks anything, its just a possibility.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

LumberingTroll posted:

only other option is to just start over without it, however its not guaranteed that it breaks anything, its just a possibility.

Thanks, think I'll just risk it. Hopefully there will be some anime tit mods or DLC to start over with by the time I get in trouble.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I want a mod that turns pacified raiders and Gunners into settlers.

I... I want to fulton them, basically.

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
Has anyone built up the settlement on Sentinel Island? At least I think that's what it's called. It has by far the largest build area (the entire island +) and if you pump your charisma is can fit a ton of people.

It is also a goddamn magnet for synth attacks.

Icedude
Mar 30, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

God yes, let me do this instead of relying on waiting days and days with a beacon active.

Also, I wonder if power armor components can take up multiple equip slots the same way normal armors can. If so, a Zone Trooper style power armor with no helmet slot due to the faceplate would be cool. Maybe make it have maxxed out Rad Resistance but weaker defenses, like a power armor version of the hazmat suit.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

Okay, found that automatic weapon speed, bolt action speed, and single action revolver speed is as usual a completely different value than the "fire delay" thing :smith:

At least semi-auto fire rates are changeable.

I think we could make some headway if we could pin down what other floating point values are lurking around the weapon stats.

I tried to make a minigun with a higher rof days ago and couldn't find the offset for rof on auto weapons :ohdear:

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?
Holy poo poo how is there only one space marine power armor reskin so far? I don't wanna be a space wolf

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

FutonForensic posted:

You know how you never realised you wanted something because you didn't even know it existed, and then it immediately becomes the most important thing in the world?

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN

Solemn Sloth posted:

You know how you never realised you wanted something because you didn't even know it existed, and then it immediately becomes the most important thing in the world?

I do now.

Strong is the best Settlement Guard.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Has anyone found a way to pinpoint where the game is set to spawn attackers for each settlement?

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

How good is this about music placement? I doubt any of those tracks will feel out of place or anything, but some might work better in some areas than others.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

FadedReality posted:

Holy poo poo how is there only one space marine power armor reskin so far? I don't wanna be a space wolf

I'm waiting for a proper chainsword mod, not the wimpy vanilla one. It looks like a toothpick in power armour.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Rasmussen posted:

I'm waiting for a proper chainsword mod, not the wimpy vanilla one. It looks like a toothpick in power armour.

Only the super sledge really does the trick in power armor, and it's begging for a shield mod. Especially with Pain Train. :(

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Requesting a mod, someone replace all instances of "War, war never changes," with this "War, it's fantastic!"

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Hammerstein posted:

I tried to make a minigun with a higher rof days ago and couldn't find the offset for rof on auto weapons :ohdear:
I suspect they're in the reciever mods because that would be a completely bethesda thing to do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
Here's a buildable planters mod that was built in FO4edit.

• Locked thread