Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Drifter posted:

Is this book standalone or part of a necessary series?

Read it. It's considered a classic for a reason. I'm with Freebooter as it being Clarke's best. I'd take it step further and rank it in my top 5 of best science fiction novels full stop.

There's a bittersweet wistfulness to the novel that's both uplifting and disturbing at the same time.

FAKE EDIT FOR NEW PAGE: The book is Childhood's End

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

flosofl posted:

Read it. It's considered a classic for a reason. I'm with Freebooter as it being Clarke's best. I'd take it step further and rank it in my top 5 of best science fiction novels full stop.

There's a bittersweet wistfulness to the novel that's both uplifting and disturbing at the same time.

I could make arguments for other Clarke books being the "best", but 'bittersweet wistfulness' is the perfect 2 word review.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Kesper North posted:

The premiere of The Expanse is now available to watch legally on most streaming services. Here is a youtube link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvZeQD1Vf2s

This and the others mentioned get the old 'Not available.....'

Anyone got a valid link for the uk?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

flosofl posted:

I still prefer The Songs of Distant Earth.

Which people should also read.

Doctor Soup
Nov 4, 2009

I have nothing but confidence in you, and very little of that.
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Serpent's Reach in particular looks to be the kind of thing I'm looking for. Good to know that hiveminds aren't always limited to either horror or SPACEWAR.

While I'm at it, are there any current authors to look out for who write humorous or light-hearted space adventure sci-fi? I liked The Android's Dream by John Scalzi well enough but I'm not as big of a fan of his other stuff, and most of the recent books I've found from browsing recommendation lists tend toward being either super gritty or sweepingly dramatic.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Clark Nova posted:

The Tines in Vernor Venge's A Fire Upon the Deep maybe? Not really a species-wide hive mind, though. I don't want to spell it out completely because figuring out what the hell is going on in the first few chapters is part of the fun.

The Conjoiners in Alistair Reynold's Revelation Space series and related works aren't aliens but are pretty well fleshed out and about as sympathetic as any other faction.

I feel like I'm forgetting something really obvious...

The hornet collective in Neal Asher's Polity universe, perhaps?

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009

"I'm sick and tired of reading these posts!"

Doctor Soup posted:

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. Serpent's Reach in particular looks to be the kind of thing I'm looking for. Good to know that hiveminds aren't always limited to either horror or SPACEWAR.

While I'm at it, are there any current authors to look out for who write humorous or light-hearted space adventure sci-fi? I liked The Android's Dream by John Scalzi well enough but I'm not as big of a fan of his other stuff, and most of the recent books I've found from browsing recommendation lists tend toward being either super gritty or sweepingly dramatic.
I haven't personally read it but I heard that A Long Way To A Small Angry Planet is along the lines of what you're talking about. Do come back with impressions if you get it!

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
I really liked ...Small Angry Planet. Here's my review if you want to check it out: https://outtherebooks.wordpress.com/2015/06/30/review-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet-by-becky-chambers/

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Deptfordx posted:

This and the others mentioned get the old 'Not available.....'

Anyone got a valid link for the uk?

It has not been legally released in any country other than the US and Canada. Queenhavers must proxy up or hit bittorrent.

edit: Yes, I know Canadians are technically queenhavers, but they're also technically North American :911:

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Pleasantly surprised by that Expanse episode. Definitely not the usual low budget Syfy garbage.

Though I think I pictured Amos being a bigger dude, almost like a Heavy from tf2.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Nov 26, 2015

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Kesper North posted:

It has not been legally released in any country other than the US and Canada. Queenhavers must proxy up or hit bittorrent.

edit: Yes, I know Canadians are technically queenhavers, but they're also technically North American :911:

I'm in Canada and I get the same error :shrug:

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

ToxicFrog posted:

I'm in Canada and I get the same error :shrug:

Canadians can stream from Space.ca: http://www.space.ca/show/the-expanse/

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Pleasantly surprised by that Expanse episode. Definitely not the usual low budget Syfy garbage.

It's been my impression that SyFy has been trying to move back to the state that they were at ~10 years ago when they invested time and talent into their shows.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Internet Wizard posted:

It's been my impression that SyFy has been trying to move back to the state that they were at ~10 years ago when they invested time and talent into their shows.

Seriously, this. They're also doing adaptations of Childhood's End, Hyperion and Brave New World.
(edit: I forget which of these has already been mentioned ITT)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Can anyone recommend some humorous sci fi or fantasy books?

Stuff I mean is like the Johannes Cabal series, or Caverns and Creatures, or Dungeonkeepers. Things with humor, albeit not ENTIRELY humor (ok, ya got me C&C is basically that, but it's still good).

I've got the Dis series, and I've read the Mercury series, but I'm just trying to find some new stuff that isn't "try hard" humor or something that just doesn't fall flat.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
Have you read Pratchett?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Consider the thread's new and awesome title.

edit: Oh, one book of the kind I really enjoyed lately was To Say Nothing Of The Dog by Connie Willis. It's time travel meets comedy of manners; rather (intentionally) old-fashioned but funny and engaging.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 10:06 on Nov 26, 2015

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Have you read Douglas Adams?

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Have you read Robert Rankin?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The answer to all of those is "Yup". Loved Discworld for the most part, didn't really dig Adams, I will look into the BoB and the other one you mentioned, and I didn't dig Rankin that much. I did like some of Tom Holt's stuff though.

I did find out there's a new Caverns and Creatures book out though, as well as a new short story, so YAY!!!! :neckbeard:

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Stuff I mean is like the Johannes Cabal series, or Caverns and Creatures, or Dungeonkeepers. Things with humor, albeit not ENTIRELY humor (ok, ya got me C&C is basically that, but it's still good).

I've got the Dis series, and I've read the Mercury series, but I'm just trying to find some new stuff that isn't "try hard" humor or something that just doesn't fall flat.

L. Sprauge de Camp.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Can anyone recommend some humorous sci fi
How Much for Just the Planet?

johnsonrod
Oct 25, 2004

I finished 3 books in the last few weeks and wanted to give my thoughts on them.

First was "A Fire upon the Deep" by Vernor Vinge. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it considering I'm not usually a huge fan of super far future sci fi. I tend to also prefer books that don't break the FTL barrier but this book gave an interesting reason to explain it. I loved the whole concept of the Tines too, although near the end of the book I thought the parts featuring them dragged a little bit. The Flenser movement seemed a bit too over the top evil and I found myself impatiently waiting for Jefri and everyone else to clue in. Overall though a great book and I'm glad I finally took the time to read it after so many reccomendations in the thread.

Second was "A Deepness in the Sky", also by Vinge. In the opening of the book I had a feeling I was going to hate it. I knew from reading the thread it was going to be a semi prequel but as soon as I read the name "Pham Nuwen", I wanted to quit it right there. I thought Nuwen's character in the previous book was the least interesting of the lot. I really wasn't sure how they were going focus a book on him and keep my attention. Holy poo poo was I ever wrong. The pacing was almost perfect when looking back after finishing it. Certain parts seemed to drag a bit at the time but in the context of the whole story arc they make complete sense. I ended up liking this one even more than "A Fire upon the Deep". One of my favourites of the year so far.

Then I decided to take a break before starting on the last book of the trilogy and read "Passage at Arms" by Glen Cook. People had described it as "Das Boot in spaaace" and that's a pretty accurate description. However, that didn't take away from it at all. I absolutely loved it and read in in one sitting. It was tense right from the start and didn't let up until the end.

So, after reading 3 pretty awesome books, I'm left with the decision of what to read next. I'm either going to go back and read the last Zones of Thought book "Children of the Sky" or start the actual Starfishers trilogy (the same universe as Passage at Arms) with "Shadowline". Anyone have thoughts on that? What do people think of "Children of the Sky" vs the previous 2 books? Same question with "Shadowline" vs "Passage at Arms"?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Do not read Children of the Sky.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

johnsonrod posted:

I loved the whole concept of the Tines too, although near the end of the book I thought the parts featuring them dragged a little bit.

Just to reiterate:

chrisoya posted:

Such a loving disappointment.

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

chrisoya posted:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

The answer to all of those is "Yup". Loved Discworld for the most part, didn't really dig Adams, I will look into the BoB and the other one you mentioned, and I didn't dig Rankin that much. I did like some of Tom Holt's stuff though.

I did find out there's a new Caverns and Creatures book out though, as well as a new short story, so YAY!!!! :neckbeard:

It might be stretching it to call it SF — it's contemporary early 80s in setting, and knowing Dave the truth content is somewhere between 40%-90% — but give The Leaky Establishment a shot.

Basically, Guy steals filing cabinet from work. Guy finds pit of plutonium in filing cabinet and tries to return it. Hilarity ensues.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Children of the Sky is a somewhat boring gap-filler to move the pieces into place so Vinge can tell the story of how the Blight spreads to the Slow Zone by enslaving the Tines hive-mind.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Spellsinger may be worth a shot.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Spellsinger may be worth a shot.

Sorta scraping the bottom of the barrel there but yeah, still readable. Also of course the Asprin Myrh books. But, really, Bridge of Birds.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

chrisoya posted:

I like the Tines, and the whole setting, less after reading CotS. And there was stuff in there.

Go for Shadowline. It's a wonderfully bizarre mix of Norse myth, the Free Companies of early Renaissance Italian warfare, and a pretty neat far future setting. The second two books follow Mouse, who sort of has the framing story for the whole thing, through his career in Naval Intelligence.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Evil Fluffy posted:

Some day I'll go back and give Malazan another chance. Someday. Probably...
It took me two or three tries, I think it went like this:
Read book 1. :psyduck:
A year or more later, read book 1 and then book 2. :psypop:
A while later, read book 1, then book 2, then book 3, and everything in book 1 and 2 begins to come together and I suddenly understand the grammar in certain races' naming conventions and other poo poo.. :black101:

I don't think I've gotten past like book 9 or 10, Dust of Dreams? I got halfway through and got heartbroke and had to stop, that was a few years back though...

chrisoya posted:

Solomon Kane is basically what happens when Howard tries to write a racist character, yes. Conan stories just have his baseline level of racism, Kane is notably worse.

Still gonna say he's less racist than Lovecraft though.

quote:

"Kane stood, an unconscious statue of triumph - the ancient empires fall, the dark-skinned peoples fade and even the demons of antiquity gasp their last, but over all stands the Aryan barbarian, white-skinned, cold-eyed, dominant, the supreme fighting man of the earth, whether he be clad in wolf-hide and horned helmet, or boots and doublet - whether he bear in his hand battle-ax or rapier - whether he be called Dorian, Saxon or Englishman - whether his name is Jason, Hengist or Solomon Kane."

And of course there's the whole bit in Wings of the Night where Kane sees a bunch of peaceful black people and takes matters into his own hands to stop them from sacrificing people to the nearby harpies, which then come and destroy the village and everyone in it. Kane's got some feels about this until he realizes they hey, they were just black people anyways and wouldn't have amounted to anything so whatevs v:shobon:v

quote:

No, Kane decided, these things were not men. They were the materialization of some ghastly jest of Nature–some travesty of the world’s infancy when Creation was an experiment. Perhaps they were the offspring of a forbidden and obscene mating of man and beast; more likely they were a freakish offshoot on the branch of evolution–for Kane had long ago dimly sensed a truth in the heretical theories of the ancient philosophers, that Man is but a higher beast. And if Nature made many strange beasts in the past ages, why should she not have experimented with monstrous forms of mankind? Surely Man as Kane knew him was not the first of his breed to walk the earth, nor yet to be the last.
Lovecraft is racist in the way that someone who's genuinely mentally ill and paranoid, picks up. Howard's so far past that.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Nov 27, 2015

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

Check the Laundry Files novels, by Charles Stross.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
So I just finished The Traitor Baru Cormorant and holy poo poo, that must have been written from a terribly dark place. Battuta, have you ever told the story of how you came to write that book?

Very well written: I had sort of guessed where I thought it would go, but wasn't really sure until I closed the book just now. The sequel hooks sound interesting as well so here's to the next one!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sorta scraping the bottom of the barrel there but yeah, still readable.

I read the first six books in the Spellsinger series. It's basically the same story over and over again.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sorta scraping the bottom of the barrel there but yeah, still readable.

I guess. I think I finished the first two and felt it was already tedious. When the third one came out, I flipped through it and then put it back on the shelf. It's up there with the Callahan's books; it's not a bad idea but in practice it quickly become wearying to read.

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!
I've finally finished Judas Unchained, by Peter Hamilton, and I recommend it to any Space Opera aficionado. It has to be read after Pandora's Star. These two books form a two part novel, and must be read in sequence.

The series is similar to a classic "big things" science fiction, with a good writing a quite good character building. And it has a satisfactory ending (in the sense it actually "ends" all the history arcs begun thru both books). Another good thing about the ending: it is not a rushed one. I mean, you won't find a story developing thru a thousand page just to be finished in a ten-page chapter. The build up is slow sometimes, becomes fast paced when it has to be, and the ending takes its time to develop properly.

Thinks I have not liked: the society gossip, Melrose Place-ish stuff. I understand it is necessary to properly develop at least two of the characters, but I simply don't like it.

Specific things I've liked: some imaginery. I'll spoil the list, but it can be read without killing the story (I'll list things that happen, not why nor when happen):

• Scottish clansmen performing a cavalry charge against a convoi of armoured cars. Just the horses are genetically enhanced beasts similar to unicorns.
  • An interstellar society without starships. But they travel between the stars. By train.
  • Two californian hippies building (and owning) an empire.
  • Space battles
  • Ground battles
  • A big, big thing near a star
  • Aliens which are actually alien

It doesn't have monsters. I'd say Neal Asher has the monopoly of science fiction monsters among the british writers...

I'll go next with the Void series, which happens a thousand years after the events in these two books.

thetechnoloser
Feb 11, 2003

Say hello to post-apocalyptic fun!
Grimey Drawer

Amberskin posted:

It doesn't have monsters. I'd say Neal Asher has the monopoly of science fiction monsters among the british writers...

I'll go next with the Void series, which happens a thousand years after the events in these two books.

I'd argue that Prime is definitely a (many-headed!!) monster, and one of the most alien and well thought out ones in British, or even Modern SF.

I'm excited for the next in the Fallers chronicle, set even further after the events in the Void series. Void series is pretty good, but pretty radically different thematically and structure-wise than the Commonwealth Series.

Commonwealth Series is definitely my favorite P.Ham.

thetechnoloser fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Amberskin
Dec 22, 2013

We come in peace! Legit!

thetechnoloser posted:

I'd argue that Prime is definitely a (many-headed!!) monster, and one of the most alien and well thought out ones in British, or even Modern SF.

Agreed. I was thinking about the kind of monsters that has big tooth and claws and eats people for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012
US/UK covers of the next Laundry Files book, minimal info.

http://io9.com/charles-stross-revea...dium=socialflow

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 27, 2015