Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Can you start the game by eating your wife

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

If you're a gentleman you do.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Those kinds of mods don't exist yet but I'm sure they will soon.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

No, she's an object not an actual corpse. You can't pick her up and carry her body around either. Or shoot her into a bloody mass.

One thing fallout 4 did really good this time around is the ghouls. In one town I met a shop keeper and we had a nice conversation about the pre-war world and she decided either my character was a great liar or telling the truth but she liked talking about her old life enough to become buddies and told me about some more pre-war ghouls.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

:( I didn't know about the son yet. Spoiler your post please.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

CJacobs posted:

Those kinds of mods don't exist yet but I'm sure they will soon.

I'm sure some creepy guy is hard at work making a mod where you can use her naked corpse as a weapon.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I'm sure some creepy guy is hard at work making a mod where you can use her naked corpse as a weapon.

I can confirm this

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH

princecoo posted:

I'm playing the character as lawful good my first time through, but figured finally meeting Kellog would be enough to even make my decent kind hearted guy get his wrath on. So I chose "Sarcasm" as my final "Let's get this done" reply and was delighted to hear (paraphrased)

"You know, when I die in 100 years, I hope I go to hell so I can kill you all over again you murdering motherfucker!"
I was annoyed that he kept being cryptic, like "you don't know what you're dealing with" instead of giving a clear explanation. I was disappointed that I couldn't threaten to torture information out of him or something.

Well, one great thing about Fallout 4 is that during a conversation, you can look away/step away and regain control of your character without actually exiting the conversation (if you look back at the person you can resume). So when he asked "alright are you ready to do this (fight each other)?", instead of answering, I stepped back and lined up a critical head shot.

(I also did the same thing during a Mexican stand-off with some gangsters. Yep gently caress you I'm not playing by your rules)

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Bloodborne. It got some new DLC this week that added some amazing new weapons. First, the Whirligig Saw. It's a club you put a circular saw on and then hack werewolves and cosmic horrors to death with. It is my new favourite video game weapon right now.

Second, the Moonlight Blade, or something like that. Turns up in a lot of Fromsoft games. Usually it's huge and glows bright blue/green. It looks kind of dull in this one. Until you power it up and it does the usual glowing and shooting of anime lasers. It's been great in every game I've had it in, and Bloodborne is no exception. I'm glad it finally arrived.

Third, there's an enemy in the base game you fight as a boss. It tears off its own arms to fight you with. You can get one of these arms to use as a weapon now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The best new weapon is the rocket hammer

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fallout 4 has four go-to talk options, with the 'top' choice being a question, the right being 'bad dude', bottom 'good dude', and left being neutral/sarcastic.

When you hit an arrow to skip dialog, you'll mumble something along the same lines. "What? Huh...?" for question, "Yes, go on" for 'good dude'

And the bad dude skips are hilarious and seem to be tuned to many specific characters. "If I have to talk to one more ghoul :argh:" "Nice hat, idiot" "Shut uuuuppp"

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Evilreaver posted:

"Shut uuuuppp"

Oh man, I always wished the games had that feature.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McDragon posted:

Bloodborne. It got some new DLC this week that added some amazing new weapons. First, the Whirligig Saw. It's a club you put a circular saw on and then hack werewolves and cosmic horrors to death with. It is my new favourite video game weapon right now.

Second, the Moonlight Blade, or something like that. Turns up in a lot of Fromsoft games. Usually it's huge and glows bright blue/green. It looks kind of dull in this one. Until you power it up and it does the usual glowing and shooting of anime lasers. It's been great in every game I've had it in, and Bloodborne is no exception. I'm glad it finally arrived.

Third, there's an enemy in the base game you fight as a boss. It tears off its own arms to fight you with. You can get one of these arms to use as a weapon now.

As someone who spent 4 or 5 days trying to beat Defiled Amygdala it was really great to be Amygdala to death with her own arms.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4 has four go-to talk options, with the 'top' choice being a question, the right being 'bad dude', bottom 'good dude', and left being neutral/sarcastic.

When you hit an arrow to skip dialog, you'll mumble something along the same lines. "What? Huh...?" for question, "Yes, go on" for 'good dude'

And the bad dude skips are hilarious and seem to be tuned to many specific characters. "If I have to talk to one more ghoul :argh:" "Nice hat, idiot" "Shut uuuuppp"

And again, drinking alcohol gives drunken skip lines!

And instead of saying a person's name or some other greeting when initiating dialog, you slur out a friendly "yoooOOOuuuUUUU... " :3:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So that's how you skip? You press the direction button?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Aphrodite posted:

So that's how you skip? You press the direction button?

Yep, just hammer away and see how annoyed your character can get.
Gaming media can get gently caress with their 2/5 stars. FO4 is a treasure.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inzombiac posted:

yes, it's had such bad reviews.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The best slurred skip line I found so far is 'concurrr'.

'Yup... Uh huh... Yep.... concurrr'

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Inzombiac posted:

Wait, someone gave Fallout 4 a two out of five? I thought it'd get at least three stars just for not being Bad Rats or Big Rigs or some other game with the initials BR that's really terrible.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, someone gave Fallout 4 a two out of five? I thought it'd get at least three stars just for not being Bad Rats or Big Rigs or some other game with the initials BR that's really terrible.

There isn't a single review on metacritic for any platform under 3/5.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Deport The Irish posted:

Your quotes for initiatng conversations also change from "Hey [name]" or "hello" to "eyyyyyyy" and "[hic] sup?"

My favorite is the loud drunken "YOU!"

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

flatluigi posted:

I thought The Guardian gave it two but it looks like my memory is faulty.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

flatluigi posted:

Professional reviews are basically worthless. Odds are that the vast majority of them were bought off, either with money or threats of not giving them review copies and poo poo in the future.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Slime posted:

Professional reviews are basically worthless. Odds are that the vast majority of them were bought off, either with money or threats of not giving them review copies and poo poo in the future.

Your tinfoil hat is on a bit tight there dude

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

flatluigi posted:

No seriously, that's a thing that happens.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

flatluigi posted:

Obviously it's far more trustworthy to listen to some unwashed rear end in a top hat yelling into a mic on YouTube who openly takes payment to feature games on their show.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Slime posted:

When, oh when will we have ethics in games journalism?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Slime posted:

I enjoy that someone went "gently caress professional reviewers, their bad reviews don't matter" and was met with "gently caress professional reviews, if they give a good review it's because they were paid off." It's nice to have the entire spectrum in one thread.

To get back on topic:

The latest Bloodborne expansion features some recycled material from the main game. It's heavily remixed but recognizable. At one point you go into a house which is identical to a location from the main game. In the main game a guy is waiting in a wheelchair to shoot you but it's easy to sneak up on him and hit him.

in the DLC version he's already dead and his body is rigged to explode if you try to sneak attack him.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 00:32 on Nov 27, 2015

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

ChaosArgate posted:

No seriously, that's a thing that happens.

Back when EGM was an actual print magazine, Ubisoft basically boycott them after they panned the first Assassin's Creed.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Internet Wizard posted:

Back when EGM was an actual print magazine, Ubisoft basically boycott them after they panned the first Assassin's Creed.

Not getting free poo poo from a publisher and getting paid to give good reviews are literally the same thing.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Everything you need to know about the quality of a game, you can learn from how soon before release the review embargo lifts.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Geniasis posted:

Everything you need to know about the quality of a game, you can learn from how soon before release the review embargo lifts.

No you can't. Lots of games that have turned out to be excellent have review embargos that drop near launch. Almost everything WB publishes has a launch embargo window despite most of them being well received.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Geniasis posted:

All but 2 games released in the last year are of the exact same quality?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Internet Wizard posted:

Gamespot had similar problems when they weren't so hot on Kane & Lynch in reviews, while being plastered in advertisements for Kane & Lynch.

I mentioned it a while back in the actual Fallout 4 thread (so naturally it's lost by now), but if you're at Bethesda and put any sort of value in Metacritic, its situation there is nothing but bad news. With an 85 in critical reviews and a 5.3 to users, it means any of these things are true:

1. Metacritic's just not a useful metric at all.
2. Critics aren't speaking for the users at all, judging by the massive disparity.
3. Even if that is an organized ratings bomb on the user review side, you don't get this much thunder called down on you for no reason. At the very least, choices they made pissed off some very loud people.
4. Bethesda's most ambitious game ever (by their declaration) hasn't paid off at all in terms of actual approval; sales may tell a different story, but there's no indication how much of that was because of the 'advancements' made.
5. Bethesda RPGs may have just lost their novelty appeal, meaning we're just seeing them as what they are, which depending who you ask is either 'a solid if flawed RPG' or 'a buggy mess'.
And 6. With a critical rating four points lower than the next-lowest Bethesda RPG (Morrowind), and six points lower than Fallout 3, it's clear that SOMETHING went wrong, if not necessarily what.

I don't think Bethesda bribes reviewers directly or indirectly (it's a lot harder to boycott a publication when you don't release nearly as prolifically as Ubisoft), although I wouldn't be necessarily surprised if they did. As always with Bethesda, I think the big thing is that they make a type of game nobody else does, but even that's not keeping them going forever. Whether that's because they pushed things too far, deviated too much from their strengths, or even just that we've got so many Bethesda RPGs that the novelty's worn off, I can't say.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Aphrodite posted:

All but 2 games released in the last year are of the exact same quality?

I'm just saying, if the embargo lifts a week before release that tells you a lot about the publishers confidence, same as if it doesn't lift until release.

I also meant it as more of a snarky comment than a statement of fact but I guess I didn't know my audience very well since that didn't land.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Geniasis posted:

I'm just saying, if the embargo lifts a week before release that tells you a lot about the publishers confidence, same as if it doesn't lift until release.

I also meant it as more of a snarky comment than a statement of fact but I guess I didn't know my audience very well since that didn't land.
A more telling sign would be if a publisher deviated from its typical embargo practices and imposed something more restrictive for a single title.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
The real problem with Fallout 4 is that it is a fantastic game, but a pretty poor Fallout. Falloutophiles get mad at everything and complain angrily about a lot of things, and in FO4s case they're (finally) more right than not.

I like how when you ask the Brotherhood of Steel if they have another airship somewhere, they say "Welp there were rumors that they had one on the west coast maybe??? But in any case they ruined it" which is a direct nod/slam at FO Tactics, wherein the Brotherhood outpost was set up when their blimp crashed in the middle of flyover country (also only cool people [ie, nobody] liked FO:T)

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 05:04 on Nov 27, 2015

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Cleretic posted:

I don't think Bethesda bribes reviewers directly or indirectly (it's a lot harder to boycott a publication when you don't release nearly as prolifically as Ubisoft), although I wouldn't be necessarily surprised if they did. As always with Bethesda, I think the big thing is that they make a type of game nobody else does, but even that's not keeping them going forever. Whether that's because they pushed things too far, deviated too much from their strengths, or even just that we've got so many Bethesda RPGs that the novelty's worn off, I can't say.

We live in a post Witcher 3 society, clearly.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Cleretic posted:

Whether that's because they pushed things too far, deviated too much from their strengths, or even just that we've got so many Bethesda RPGs that the novelty's worn off, I can't say.

Maybe I'm shooting in the dark here, but I think that point was when they decided to put so much emphasis on their spectacular narrative over anything else. I don't know why they thought their writing was a strong suit, because not even their fans think their writing is good.

Anyway, Kirby superstar. It's a small thing but one of the games within the game is a set of timed stages called MetaKnight's Revenge (Has anyone not played this game before?) and you run through, fight bosses and do all the usual Kirby stuff. The climax has the villain throw you a sword so you can have a proper duel with him. Except if you gently caress around for a while and ignore it he gets pissed off and you can fight him with whatever power you want. I kind of felt dumb for never figuring this out when I was a kid playing on the SNES.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Nuebot posted:

Maybe I'm shooting in the dark here, but I think that point was when they decided to put so much emphasis on their spectacular narrative over anything else. I don't know why they thought their writing was a strong suit, because not even their fans think their writing is good.

As a little thing in relation to that, the saving grace of the whole central plot of Fallout 4 is that of all the names they could have gone with, your son's name is Shaun. I don't think I'd have nearly as much fun talking poo poo about that main quest if they didn't pick the one name that's most hilarious to give a video game parent's son.

I like to imagine that was the request of one guy on the writing team that could see what the quest was going to turn out like, but wasn't nearly high up enough to stop it, and so went 'okay, there's only one way we can salvage this'.