Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
It's really a commercial for the new Dragon's Lair movie Don Bluth is a part of. And the real Don Bluth appears in this video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Tracula posted:

I haven't seen the two most recent films but didn't they avoid showing JJJ completely? I saw the usual rumor mill on the Internet saying that the proper Marvel reboot would have him so please my god make it so.

I think they had Parker send JJJ emails, but no actor.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's really a commercial for the new Dragon's Lair movie Don Bluth is a part of. And the real Don Bluth appears in this video.

Whoa.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Mraagvpeine posted:

I didn't even know Don Bluth was still alive.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

I didn't even know Don Bluth was still alive.

Guess you didnt hear about the kickstarter.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qpd8YvUGhs

Jontron made a video on Food games (part 1). that's some good make up at the end

Mischalaniouse
Nov 7, 2009

*ribbit*

Tired Moritz posted:

Jontron made a video on Food games (part 1). that's some good make up at the end

Yeah, I was surprised how much effort was put into that short gag! Maybe it will show up again, since it did say to be continued.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Tired Moritz posted:

Can someone please make a gif of the captain crunch money shot at 5:13?

Infamous Sphere
Nov 8, 2010
Blargh oh my god yes, I have read fanfiction, in a way it's a guilty pleasure/so bad it's good thing. I can't read trashy romance though. Fanfiction..oh god..some of the anatomical limitations are..well..let's just say these women don't very much und

Mischalaniouse posted:

Yeah, I was surprised how much effort was put into that short gag! Maybe it will show up again, since it did say to be continued.

A shitload of production values into all of those jokes - pretty incredible, really. I don't know that much about Jontron and his budget/production staff so I'm not sure exactly how all of that was realised.
loved him eating the brick, and the captain crunch money shot

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Hey, Todd has a new Cinemadonna out! I can't wait to see why this film was so ba-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcVSXCSaoLU

:yikes:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Oh hey, Linkara put up his movie.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

BigRed0427 posted:

Oh hey, Linkara put up his movie.
4 parts so far and not a single mention of lamps or chicken tenders. :colbert:

Nash's reaction to Joe's force lightning is the best. :)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

This reminds me, what has Mars Gril been up to? it seemed like she just disappeared.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Man you can see Lewis trying his best to make a really good film while straining under the weight of his own continuity-based choices (not recasting his doppelgangers, following up on the TBF plot threads, etc.)

Lupa and the rest of the guest crew are putting in pretty solid performances and the script isn't half bad (when it isn't going heavier than the dialogue/cast can handle) but a lot of the characters who AREN'T Linkara TALK like Linkara/Lewis does, and it's especially notable with 90s Kid and Finevoice because, being Lewis, they don't have their own actors to adjust that.

I gotta say, though, that the scene of Linkara having the (so far fruitless) idea to try to revive Alan - the grin on his face - seemed genuine, from a character perspective, while also evoking the very Doctor Who-y EVERYBODY LIVES moments that I suspect inspired the plotpoint... which makes the failure, at least so far, all the more fascinating.

I will say this: Linkara's actually pretty dang accomplished/talented when it comes to facial expression/acting that balances believably with intentionality. No dull surprise or mismatched emotions. But some of his vocal performances undermine it, especially when the verbosity of his dialogue is at odds with his emotional state. Which is not infrequent.

Basically the script needed some punching-up by an editor, primarily for dialogue verisimilitude and cutting down on reiterated lines/words, Lewis needed to recast Finevoice and 90's Kid especially, and man oh man does it need more adventurous camerawork/blocking because boring shots go on for way too freakin' long.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I really want a Gigli review now.

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

Violet_Sky posted:

Hey, Todd has a new Cinemadonna out! I can't wait to see why this film was so ba-

Oh... oh no... oh no no no...

I heard Swept Away was a bad movie, but I'm surprised its real awfulness flew under the radar for that long.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

DoctorWhat posted:

Man you can see Lewis trying his best to make a really good film while straining under the weight of his own continuity-based choices (not recasting his doppelgangers, following up on the TBF plot threads, etc.)

Lupa and the rest of the guest crew are putting in pretty solid performances and the script isn't half bad (when it isn't going heavier than the dialogue/cast can handle) but a lot of the characters who AREN'T Linkara TALK like Linkara/Lewis does, and it's especially notable with 90s Kid and Finevoice because, being Lewis, they don't have their own actors to adjust that.

I gotta say, though, that the scene of Linkara having the (so far fruitless) idea to try to revive Alan - the grin on his face - seemed genuine, from a character perspective, while also evoking the very Doctor Who-y EVERYBODY LIVES moments that I suspect inspired the plotpoint... which makes the failure, at least so far, all the more fascinating.

I will say this: Linkara's actually pretty dang accomplished/talented when it comes to facial expression/acting that balances believably with intentionality. No dull surprise or mismatched emotions. But some of his vocal performances undermine it, especially when the verbosity of his dialogue is at odds with his emotional state. Which is not infrequent.

Basically the script needed some punching-up by an editor, primarily for dialogue verisimilitude and cutting down on reiterated lines/words, Lewis needed to recast Finevoice and 90's Kid especially, and man oh man does it need more adventurous camerawork/blocking because boring shots go on for way too freakin' long.

It's a bad movie, but in a charming way. I can dig it.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Violet_Sky posted:

What the gently caress :stare:

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

Violet_Sky posted:

Seems like Todd could have had Brad Jones guest star on that review to explain some of the "finer" points of 70s Italian cinema that Guy Ritchie and Madonna decided to bring to a mainstream audience.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.

BigRed0427 posted:

This reminds me, what has Mars Gril been up to? it seemed like she just disappeared.

She streams video games, does cartoon reviews by request, and has a chat show/podcast with her husband. It’s all here.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Can someone please make a gif of the captain crunch money shot at 5:13?

Violet_Sky posted:

Thats uh...certainly... a movie...

What the gently caress

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-YQBWQhbJI

New Sage video is out, this one is about Blood the Last Vampire. Gotta say that I agree with him on that it really does feel like Production IG showing off what they can do as opposed to being a fully fledged product.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

New Sage video is out, this one is about Blood the Last Vampire. Gotta say that I agree with him on that it really does feel like Production IG showing off what they can do as opposed to being a fully fledged product.

Yeah, the whole movie is 45 minutes of everything-but-kitchen-sink but is well worth a watch for the effort put in. Incidentally, no, the series aren't any better. At least not Blood+, haven't seen Blood C.

Looking forward to his next episode though :allears:. It's Bubblegum Crisis.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the whole movie is 45 minutes of everything-but-kitchen-sink but is well worth a watch for the effort put in. Incidentally, no, the series aren't any better. At least not Blood+, haven't seen Blood C.

Truth be told, the original Bubblegum Crisis is the only one of the franchise that I haven't seen anything of. I remember when Tokyo 2040 was actually broadcast in Australia on SBS when the only anime on TV was stuff like Dragon Ball Z/Pokemon on in the morning or on Cartoon Network which I didn't have.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Testekill posted:

Truth be told, the original Bubblegum Crisis is the only one of the franchise that I haven't seen anything of. I remember when Tokyo 2040 was actually broadcast in Australia on SBS when the only anime on TV was stuff like Dragon Ball Z/Pokemon on in the morning or on Cartoon Network which I didn't have.

Look at this poor unfortunate who didn't get to watch it every Friday night on Cartoon Network beside Cowboy Bebop and Tenchi Muyo :smuggo:.

I actually quite like 2040.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It's Bubblegum Crisis.

:allears: indeed, oh boy, oh boy.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I actually liked Blood+ :shobon:

But then, I watched it in high school, on Adult Swim.

Never really liked Blood the Last Vampire, though--I agree with Sage's assessment.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's a bad movie, but in a charming way. I can dig it.

This is why I really can never rip on the dude a lot. Unlike NC and a lot of other guys, he honestly seems to really really love the medium he's talking about and legit enjoys doing his show and the dumb little skits. His biggest failure is his unwillingness to expand and move past the poo poo he's saddled himself with. He's WAY more interesting to watch and listen to when he discusses things like Identity Crisis, Amazons Attack, Dark Knight Strikes Back etc. Things that COULD have worked but failed, that's the interesting stuff he needs to stick with.

Does anyone really want another review of a lovely tie in book, Kool-Aid man comic, or some other insane thing that had no chance of being anything other than awful? Linkara's just not funny enough to elevate that stuff, not trying to bag on the guy, he's not woefully unfunny like Blockbuster Buster or latter era Spoony, he's just not funny enough to make something like some stupid comic about Mr. T anything other than a chore. He seems to be buddies with SFDebris, he really should be taking cues from him and look at poo poo like Final Crisis, Zero Hour or even controversial stuff like Civil War and explore the problems the comic has.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Agreed. Linkara is not as funny as he thinks he is but he is knowedgeable and willing and able to do research. All of his best stuff is him ripping a shifty story apart or pointing out how not to present sequential art or exploring characters. His worst stuff is him trying to add funnies to a mediocre subject.

Movies finished BTW. It was fun but it's no Suburban Knights. :D

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Ben Minnotte of the Oddity Archive drops in to Cheapskate Live! to watch a compilation of toy commercials from the early 90s. Can you spot the future celebrity in the video before we do?

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

KayTee posted:

Agreed. Linkara is not as funny as he thinks he is but he is knowedgeable and willing and able to do research. All of his best stuff is him ripping a shifty story apart or pointing out how not to present sequential art or exploring characters. His worst stuff is him trying to add funnies to a mediocre subject.

A super good example of this is his Identity Crisis list which might be his best work so far. He makes clear, very good points about the comic, he respects people's opinions on the subject that differ his and he's occasionally pretty funny in it as well since he doesn't seem to be forcing jokes in at every turn. Now look at Kool-Aid Man "oh man this sure is dumb and wacky guys, woo wee this sure is dumb wowzers, a drink glass saving people sure is stupid huh right guys? ~repeat for 15 minutes~"

I feel like on some level he's in a NC situation where a big part of his fanbase watches mainly for that stuff so he's forced to keep doing that.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
I'm loving the AT4W Movie, and I'm proud to have sponsored it. It's better than its prequel, and I'm impressed by the drama in it. Also impressed with the demonstration that it's possible to have an Indiegogo, use raised funds responsibly, and bring the production to its conclusion within a very reasonable amount of time. I don't even remember if I'm on the DVD tier or not; I just backed it as soon as I saw it.

I think that as an internet personality and as an actor Linkara has a lot of strength in charisma. Maybe I'm a puss but it makes the movie appropriately tense :ohdear: and credible, for everyone in it.

quote:

Does anyone really want another review of a lovely tie in book, Kool-Aid man comic, or some other insane thing that had no chance of being anything other than awful?

I doooo :toot: I wouldn't hear about anything like that without him, and I certainly wouldn't buy a Tandy Whiz kids comic on my own. (well, those ones I actually did read at school and almost forgot them)

Ema Nymton fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Nov 29, 2015

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

We got a new Half in The Bag: Creed and Victor Frankenstine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9GseSRcUU

At some point in the review this happens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbfIIV2KuMM Uhh...why? How? :stare:

My poor, poor ears.

Edit: Oh god. It's stuck in my head! Get it out! GET IT OUT!!!! :byodood:

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Nov 29, 2015

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I remember during one of Linkara's anniversary movies, SFDebris randomly shows up and gets scared that all these screaming internet reviewers are shouting at him.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

BigRed0427 posted:

We got a new Half in The Bag: Creed and Victor Frankenstine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQ9GseSRcUU

I really like how Mike explains how little he wanted to see the film, yet how much he liked it.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcQUb-4yn74

Bob may be right, but his message of "Your toys don't love you" rings kinda hollow when he spends 2 minutes gushing over his collection and his arrested development.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Guys, guys. Have you guys been listening to the Secret Convergence of Infinite Podcasts? I listened to the first episode and it's pretty awesome. :allears:

Rebochan
Feb 2, 2006

Take my evolution

I just marathoned all the RLMs I missed and my mind is still blown that Mystics in Bali showed up in the Halloween Best of the Worst. I never thought I'd come face to face with that movie again, but I guess either Brad or RLM would have found it eventually (and just doing a quick google, it looks like right at the same time I first saw it, James Rolfe featured it in Cinemassacre).

A few years back I attended a tiny B-Movie festival in Plano, Texas and the organizer had a reputation for producing the most bizarre, obscure films intended to try and break us. Mystics in Bali was that year's feature. A few of the curious onlookers actually left during the baby eating scene. I made it through the whole picture, and there were a lot of gross out moments to be sure, but there was something to be said for how unique the endeavor was. The entire film is based on the similarly crazy awesome mythology of the Leyak and Rangda from Indonesia, and knowing that now it's kind of impressive how they worked it all in. Though the end of the movie kind of breaks down into a cheap CGI fight sequence and that stock laughter for the witch is really grating.

There is so much more crazy in that movie that didn't make it into the episode, though they got the obvious highlights. It's amazing that a movie so strange and obscure got a restoration, but at least now it can continue to be inflicted on the unsuspecting.

It absolutely deserved Best of the Worst.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Yvonmukluk posted:

Guys, guys. Have you guys been listening to the Secret Convergence of Infinite Podcasts? I listened to the first episode and it's pretty awesome. :allears:

I love Kate Leth but I can't really get into her podcast. Listening to her and her friends just talk isn't very interesting I think. SHe had Scott Snyder on one time and all they talked about was when he worked at Disney World. Kinda neat but not something I really care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

BigRed0427 posted:

I love Kate Leth but I can't really get into her podcast. Listening to her and her friends just talk isn't very interesting I think. SHe had Scott Snyder on one time and all they talked about was when he worked at Disney World. Kinda neat but not something I really care about.

This is how I feel about Chris Sims and War Rocket Ajax. There are occasional times a friend goes "no, you need to hear this one", but by and large he's better on every other show. Including ones that share the same co-host!

• Locked thread