Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Dunno if it's been mentioned yet or not, but the beta patch that's supposed to fix the stuttering around the financial district A. doesn't and B. breaks the cheat engine remove building limits mod, so yeah. Nice little accidental gently caress you from bethesda there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

From an earlier post about I think grey ditch being able to build on the highway above it. I was thinking about any other settlement and the finch farm can totally do it.

For some reason this settlement gets hosed by either an rear end load of gunners or super mutants a lot. So I've decided to upend the whole settlement to the highway above except for farming.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

King Doom posted:

Dunno if it's been mentioned yet or not, but the beta patch that's supposed to fix the stuttering around the financial district A. doesn't and B. breaks the cheat engine remove building limits mod, so yeah. Nice little accidental gently caress you from bethesda there.

Get the little BAT file that does the same. Click on workbench, type "bat settlement" and it's done. No weird cheat engine poo poo needed.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

TontoCorazon posted:

From an earlier post about I think grey ditch being able to build on the highway above it. I was thinking about any other settlement and the finch farm can totally do it.

For some reason this settlement gets hosed by either an rear end load of gunners or super mutants a lot. So I've decided to upend the whole settlement to the highway above except for farming.

Gunners seem to try and control highways in general, it seems. Kinda makes sense "strategically", but meh.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Ironslave posted:

The dialogue makes nothing clear. It has him trying to resist and the tape ends. It's a bit open-ended as to whether it succeeded or whether aliens caused the nukes to launch; it's not explicit. Hence the loving 'implied.' What it is is loving stupid.

No, it's quite clear to anyone who objectively looks at the thing. First off, you never hear the human speaking in the "OMG TEH ALIENS CAUSED DUH WAR" tape (so the tape in question is simply alien babble for a few seconds), and even if you did, the other tapes in that series make it clear that they kill or convert all the humans. Never mind that the same hit noises you hear are the ones that are used on you and kill you. So the dude denied the aliens the knowledge they wanted, and they killed him.

Sorry, but there's nothing in any Fallout game that asserts aliens caused the Great War. Maybe China did it. Maybe the US did it. Maybe a computer did it. But not aliens.

MisterBibs fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Nov 26, 2015

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Internet Kraken posted:

Its better than the lady that literally never stops bitching about how awful everything is no matter what you do at Sanctuary.

gently caress her. I had to move my crafting benches because she was jammed in a doorway next to them and wouldn't stop loving jabbering while I lovingly prepared some tools of death.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So is there anyway to tell what your current relationship level with a companion is/how close it is to being maxed out?

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So is there anyway to tell what your current relationship level with a companion is/how close it is to being maxed out?

I believe you can just talk to them and then pick a "relationship" option, but in terms of getting raw numbers I have no idea.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Hemoglobin posted:

I'm crashing around the CIT area trying to do the quest Boston After Dark. I've used console commands to pass through a couple of the quests

At least you have that option. That whole area crashes for me and it is keeping me from finishing Boston After Dark and Silver Shroud. That wouldn't be so bad but I'm pretty sure that not being able to enter that area is going to keep me from one of the next few main story quests.

I can enter Bunker Hill, but once I reach the church? with the little playground just west of the BADTFL (or whatever) office, the game instantly crashes.

After getting Boston After Dark and going to Bunker Hill for the first time, I was actually able to enter the church's playground / side yard / parking lot area and kill a deathclaw and about half of the raiders that are part of the mission. For a minute I thought that maybe it was the deathclaw that had been wigging out and crashing the game since I hadn't seen it there before and thought that maybe it had been stuck in / on something, but then the game crashed anyway.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Elderbean posted:

From what I understand Fallout 3 is a nightmare on modern computers without some serious modding.

The only mod you need is the one that gets rid of GWFL - works perfectly fine on newer versions of Windows after that (I recently played through it again)

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Just finished the game at around 70 hours, and echoing that, good lord, was that ever anti-climactic and worthless as an ending, finishing with the most hamfisted line so that they could shove in "war... war never changes." Even the last few missions weren't that intense, and I'm pissed I didn't get to fight Liberty Prime, because apparently if I don't do every goddamn thing for the Brotherhood, they are incapable of finishing the work.

One thing that did work for me, though, was deciding, at the very end, what to do with the synth child Shaun. I had decided to go with the Railroad, because I decided that if synths were capable of human emotions and free will, like Danse, that even if they weren't human, they were sentient enough to not to make any difference. And I actually had to stop and run through all of that in my head, and decide that if I really believed all that, then this was basically an orphaned child who would be best off with what was basically his genetic father, and hell, my protagonist started all this off looking to find and nurture a child almost identical to the one in front of me. It felt like an interesting closure to the main quest of finding your "son".

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't even quite understand what a synth is. Apparently no medical test can figure them out but when they die there's very obvious synth parts, so either "medical tests" means a wasteland "doctor" poking the synth with sticks or something doesn't make sense.

They seem fully biological and are made from human DNA, how do they differ in any way from humans? For me it takes away from the whole question of "can robots be treated as humans" or "do robots have souls". If they were fully mechanical and just had really good synth skin over top I'd get it, but these are like Cylon Skinjobs or what ever. They're like 99.9repeating% human, how's it even a question if they're "real people" or not. Question if something like Nick is a human, question if a Mr. Handy left to roam for centuries and develop its own interests and personality can be treated as a human or human-like intelligence. But a clone with a couple slightly different internal parts??

I also don't have a good handle on how "brainwashed" synths are. Are synth spies just loyal synths that are more or less exactly like a human spy or are they some how controlled by the institute? Are they programmed like a computer to be a sort of sleeper agent or have some sort of loyalty program built in, or are they no more "programmed" than a brainwashed or indoctrinated human?

Basically in what way are gen 3 synths not human or pose a threat beyond any other group of humans? From what I gather they're just slightly engineered humans with the exact same free will and emotions, then used as slaves because apparently that's better than actual robots you can program to not want to run away or betray you.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
How much money do the stores make? I'm rich as hell from selling water but lugging it to the market is kind of a pain.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

BillmasterCozb posted:

So, I helped a cuck be the muscle to stop this guy from banging his wife. Bangin guy convinces us to go crash some wannabe gangster's drug trade. We kill the drug trade jerks, ghoul lady tells us everything about the drug factory, bangin guy kills her. "Well i'll get out of your life forever now :v: big boss is gonna want me dead, so I'll fake my death here". I convinced the cuck to give me 70% of the share, instead he just gives me all the drugs for 500 caps.

I got 60 per unit of every drug imaginable, holy gently caress that's like 3-4k worth of drugs. "You are overencumbered!" gently caress. Went back to diamond city, father of the wannabe gangster gets MAD at me for killing his worthless son, but I convinced him that the big boss killed the son and framed me, then convinced the dad to pay me 600 caps to kill big boss. Finally killed big boss without getting the whole town mad at me, and I get paid while the dad wallows in his own rich filth

what an adventure, and holy poo poo charisma is broken for how good it is

My version was the douchebag bartender got gunned down in the firefight so the cuckolded guy took the money and let me have run of the drug lab. Forget the drat drugs, I was more interested in how many hot plates it had.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vainman posted:

How much money do the stores make? I'm rich as hell from selling water but lugging it to the market is kind of a pain.

The point of stores isn't to passively make money, it's to act as a quick place with a lot of caps to sell your poo poo to so you don't have to lug it. So instead of lugging your poo poo to a stupid shop with 200 caps, you'll have 4 vendors with 400+ caps each right next to your crafting benches and containers ready to take all your garbage off your hands.
Also how are people getting rich from water? I've got the huge water machine running at the castle but I don't see any water in the inventory. Is there something you need to do to actually get purified water items?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Selling everything I had to buy General Chao's revenge at the start of the game was a good decision in hindsight.

vainman
Nov 2, 2012

I find your lack of faith... disturbing
Extra purified water is stored in the workbench but you only get it if you produce more water than settlers. I built Seven or eight of the biggest water purifiers in Sanctuary and get about 240 a trip.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

And when he says "extra" he means surplus water that the settlers don't need.

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

The point of stores isn't to passively make money, it's to act as a quick place with a lot of caps to sell your poo poo to so you don't have to lug it. So instead of lugging your poo poo to a stupid shop with 200 caps, you'll have 4 vendors with 400+ caps each right next to your crafting benches and containers ready to take all your garbage off your hands.
Also how are people getting rich from water? I've got the huge water machine running at the castle but I don't see any water in the inventory. Is there something you need to do to actually get purified water items?

Build water purifiers along the coast behind the Castle and you'll hit 1500+ water production. It's basically the only way to break the economy I've found, small kudos to Bethesda there. (I guess.)

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, I really wish I could like the Railroad. Their vague mission statement sounded pretty good, but then I go search 'em out finally and Desdemona is just uuuugh, then a grand total of 1 mission in Deacon drops "Yeah but really most of the Railroad just care about the Gen3 synths". Like what, if they had written it more like "Gen1 are basically full-robot skeletons, we wish there was more to it but those can't be helped" then I would understand, but really, the Gen2 assumedly get nothing either because they don't have the fancy skin? You guys can eat it, me and Nick are outta here.

Police Automaton
Mar 17, 2009
"You are standing in a thread. Someone has made an insightful post."
LOOK AT insightful post
"It's a pretty good post."
HATE post
"I don't understand"
SHIT ON post
"You shit on the post. Why."

You're putting way more thought into it than Bethesda ever did. :v:

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
I'm lost. Do I have to do the railroad quests to find the institute?

Last thing I did was the first quest with deacon after getting the courser chip analyzed.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

I'm lost. Do I have to do the railroad quests to find the institute?

Nope, you just have to progress the main quest, find Kellogg, go into the Glowing Sea, after that you'll be about 1 step away from inside.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Iceshade posted:

Man, was everyone on drugs in Sanctuary Hills (don't answer that, some terminal said they kinda all were)? Were the protagonist and his wife/husband too? Everything was honky dory in the prologue, happy happy, spin the mobile he loves that, Mr. Handy providing coffee oh what a wonderful sunny day :3:

But as far as I know, there were massive food and fuel shortages through the USA, riots everywhere with lethal weapons used to keep em sort of under control. Then there are the terminals throughout the wasteland, with accidents here, pesky journalists being murdered or getting caught in rocket blasts and worked away, reports of people dying in horrific accidents in every factory building terminal you find.

Hubbie and wife didn't exactly look like a superwealthy family either. Housewife (yes with a law degree she doesn't use) and a retired veteran.

Also apart from the fact that the pre-war fallout universe was absolutely retarded by using fusion/fission generators in absolutely everything, doesn't that mean that the demand for petrol/etc was much lower at that point? You'd think that would kinda stabilise the situation.

The answer to all of this is probably :bethesda: but it's fun to think about.

I was under the impression that Sanctuary Hills was a town made specifically for veterans and their families. I assumed that as a result they would try to make it seem nice and ideal.

As for oil, it's still used in so much stuff. You can't make plastics with nuclear fusion.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Phenotype posted:

Just finished the game at around 70 hours, and echoing that, good lord, was that ever anti-climactic and worthless as an ending, finishing with the most hamfisted line so that they could shove in "war... war never changes." Even the last few missions weren't that intense, and I'm pissed I didn't get to fight Liberty Prime, because apparently if I don't do every goddamn thing for the Brotherhood, they are incapable of finishing the work.

One thing that did work for me, though, was deciding, at the very end, what to do with the synth child Shaun. I had decided to go with the Railroad, because I decided that if synths were capable of human emotions and free will, like Danse, that even if they weren't human, they were sentient enough to not to make any difference. And I actually had to stop and run through all of that in my head, and decide that if I really believed all that, then this was basically an orphaned child who would be best off with what was basically his genetic father, and hell, my protagonist started all this off looking to find and nurture a child almost identical to the one in front of me. It felt like an interesting closure to the main quest of finding your "son".

I really liked that moment, I wasn't expecting it at all. It's a nice consolation prize for my first guy who didn't have the guts to face his son before betraying/nuking him. :smith:

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Funky Valentine posted:

My version was the douchebag bartender got gunned down in the firefight so the cuckolded guy took the money and let me have run of the drug lab. Forget the drat drugs, I was more interested in how many hot plates it had.

That quest is bugged for me I think. I didn't split the take yet but planned to after going to the next marker at the drug lab. But whenever I go to the factory the marker just vanishes.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
So I used some console magicry to revive a randomly-dead man whose house was besieged by Mirelurks, who supposedly had a quest for me.

Now, I wish I hadn't.

showmeyourfuckingfaceyoucrabgoddammit

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
The game should have been set just 5 years or so after the bombs fell. So many things about the game world would make more sense.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Oh really? Why?

Emy
Apr 21, 2009
I recently hit level 44, so I've been trying to collect a few hacked robots at one of my settlements. As people may have noticed, hacked robots have a slight malfunction in that they'll gladly murder all your settlers, brotherhood patrols, and basically anyone else that isn't you or your companion. So when I hack something, I open up the console and "bat hacksafe" to run this set of commands, which is in HackSafe.txt in my main game folder:

code:
; - HackSafe.txt adds the target to the two factions that your workshop sentry guns are in, and makes them ignore friendly hits (because I'm concerned about aggro when the settlers all cluster around some invader) -
; - Adding target to faction 1c21c (PlayerFaction) -
addfac 1c21c 0
; - Adding target to faction 337f3 (WorkshopNPCFaction) -
addfac 337f3 0
; - Setting target to ignore friendly hits -
setignorefriendlyhits 1
; - Stopping combat for target, in case it's already aggro'd on something -
stopcombat
sifh 1 and stopcombat may be unnecessary, but I'd rather be careful.

I'd prefer to roll this sort of functionality into the action of hacking itself, rather than having to do it manually, but I don't know if that's possible without the FO4 GECK. At least using the console to tweak the IFF of a robot you've just hacked is possibly the most lore-appropriate console use in the game.

(You can also do setplayerteammate 1, which will make it not aggro on stuff, let you command it at a distance, and gives you access to a "trade" dialogue. Also makes it fast travel with you, sometimes inconsistently. Removes the "hack" option when you get near it, though.)

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do settlers need one unit of food and one unit of water to be considered satisfied? I have no idea of the ratio I should aim for.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

frajaq posted:

Oh really? Why?
A lot of little things would make sense with a shorter time frame.

- Everybody is living in shacks and nobody has gotten around to rebuilding the world (at least pick up a broom, you lazy fucks)
- The ghoul kid in the fridge should have gone insane after 200 years
- Same thing for that gangster ghoul who's been sealed up in his basement since before the War.
- The Vault-Tec rep, now a ghoul, still thinks of himself as a Vault-Tec sales rep despite not working for Vault-Tec for 200 years
- Weathering, rust, and rot should have destroyed almost everything left of the old world after 200 years. Instead the cars are just somewhat rusty, many houses are still standing and not taken over by vegetation, people are wearing pre-War clothes that are only a little dirty and torn, pre-War foodstuffs are still edible, etc.

In short, the world of Fallout 4 resembles a city that has just been freshly bombed.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Are all Assaultrons women, or just KLEO?

Baron Bifford posted:

The game should have been set just 5 years or so after the bombs fell. So many things about the game world would make more sense.

There would probably still be far too much background radiation.

I really like Good Neighbor. It has a lot of named NPCs in it, and a lot more than Diamond City. I get the feeling it's supposed to be like a prohibition era Chicago with the Neighborhood Watch guards all toting tommy guns, the Third Rail is a speakeasy, and its mayor is like a crime boss.

I also called Nick "The Clockwork Dick" and he promptly corrected me with "It's Synthetic Detective, jackass. :mad: "

Protons fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I just got a Minuteman radiant quest in Sanctuary, but the settler was around Beantown and moving. I thought that was odd, so I followed him and he went to Oberland. I think, maybe he's a synth or some other minor quest is going on? Let's check his gear, maybe he's got a synth component on him.

:stare:

Emy posted:

I recently hit level 44, so I've been trying to collect a few hacked robots at one of my settlements. As people may have noticed, hacked robots have a slight malfunction in that they'll gladly murder all your settlers, brotherhood patrols, and basically anyone else that isn't you or your companion. So when I hack something, I open up the console and "bat hacksafe" to run this set of commands, which is in HackSafe.txt in my main game folder:

code:
; - HackSafe.txt adds the target to the two factions that your workshop sentry guns are in, and makes them ignore friendly hits (because I'm concerned about aggro when the settlers all cluster around some invader) -
; - Adding target to faction 1c21c (PlayerFaction) -
addfac 1c21c 0
; - Adding target to faction 337f3 (WorkshopNPCFaction) -
addfac 337f3 0
; - Setting target to ignore friendly hits -
setignorefriendlyhits 1
; - Stopping combat for target, in case it's already aggro'd on something -
stopcombat
sifh 1 and stopcombat may be unnecessary, but I'd rather be careful.

I'd prefer to roll this sort of functionality into the action of hacking itself, rather than having to do it manually, but I don't know if that's possible without the FO4 GECK. At least using the console to tweak the IFF of a robot you've just hacked is possibly the most lore-appropriate console use in the game.

(You can also do setplayerteammate 1, which will make it not aggro on stuff, let you command it at a distance, and gives you access to a "trade" dialogue. Also makes it fast travel with you, sometimes inconsistently. Removes the "hack" option when you get near it, though.)

You are a saint. Is there also a way to stop shutdowned robots from moving around all the drat time?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm pretty sure KLEO is the only one that acknowledges that it's woman-shaped (or at least, it thinks it is a real actual woman), but there's also PAM I guess.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Protons posted:

Are all Assaultrons women, or just KLEO?
They've all got feminine body shapes. I was kinda surprised that KLEO made such a big deal out of it because I was like aren't you all fembots.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Baron Bifford posted:

Forget that, ghouls still need to eat and need water. He should have died within 3 days of the bombs falling.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Baron Bifford posted:

A lot of little things would make sense with a shorter time frame.

- Everybody is living in shacks and nobody has gotten around to rebuilding the world (at least pick up a broom, you lazy fucks)
- Same thing for that gangster ghoul who's been sealed up in his basement since before the War.
- The Vault-Tec rep, now a ghoul, still thinks of himself as a Vault-Tec sales rep despite not working for Vault-Tec for 200 years
- Weathering, rust, and rot should have destroyed almost everything left of the old world after 200 years. Instead the cars are just somewhat rusty, many houses are still standing and not taken over by vegetation, people are wearing pre-War clothes that are only a little dirty and torn, pre-War foodstuffs are still edible, etc.

In short, the world of Fallout 4 resembles a city that has just been freshly bombed.

Fallout is not a realistic setting so the post apocalypse does not work the way it would in real life. Hope this helps.

Like really, I don't enjoy the fact that every settlement looks like poo poo but that's the kind of atmosphere Bethesda and Obsidian have decided they want for the setting even 200 years later. Presumably because they consider it iconic to post apocalyptic lifestyle and also because it gives more impact to the areas that are actually clean and tidy.

Caring about cars not being totally rusted and being able to eat old ham in a can seems silly when you are fighting off giant mutant crabs.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 27, 2015

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Internet Kraken posted:

Fallout is not a realistic setting so the post apocalypse does not work the way it would in real life. Hope this helps.
You've put my mind at ease.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Internet Kraken posted:

There's an important difference between "It would work this way in real life" and "it makes sense". The game doesn't have to work the way real life would and nobody expects it to, but a serious lack of internal consistency as well as being nonsensical in very story-relevant areas makes the setting rear end.

It isn't literally supposed to take place in our real life, but it does take place in "the real world" so to speak. It doesn't matter if you drop a cup and it just bounces instead of shattering because it's a video game, but it does matter that the setting at large doesn't make sense. The game goes to great lengths to show you societies living and dying to time and each others' hands and having it be consistent there and inconsistent in ways that are relevant to that just sucks. Considering the setting is the framework for the whole game, being logical is pretty relevant. Lol at your pithy "hope this helps" though.

• Locked thread