Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

shrimp fried rice 4-EVA
Feb 2, 2012

Holding my breath and I'm playing for keeps.
Picked this up a couple of weeks ago. Couldn't be happier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Slavvy posted:

That would imply that torquing everything obsessively is pointless because it'll all come loose anyway. Cause if you're assembling the bike and torquing to spec you're theoretically putting it together exactly as the factory would (albeit without the robots). And why do big ends and head bolts etc not come apart in the first few miles too? It just doesn't make any sense.

This is a strange thing to draw a line in the sand for. It's just a silly precaution. Do you perhaps have a couple of screws loose yourself? Maybe you need to tighten them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

It's an excuse for lovely QC. Many manufacturers list re-torquing as a maintenance item after break in, but it's more of a lawyer appeased thing. I've never owned a bike that needed re-torquing of anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

KARMA! posted:

This is a strange thing to draw a line in the sand for. It's just a silly precaution. Do you perhaps have a couple of screws loose yourself? Maybe you need to tighten them.

I'm just trying to determine if it's an actual thing or if it's just crap build quality. Seems that if bolts are going to come loose from operating the vehicle, they're going to come loose all the time (like fairing fasteners and poo poo on big singles etc). If they don't come loose after you tighten them properly, then they should just be tightened properly to begin with. Machines aren't topsoil, they don't settle.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It's an excuse for lovely QC. Many manufacturers list re-torquing as a maintenance item after break in, but it's more of a lawyer appeased thing. I've never owned a bike that needed re-torquing of anything.

Yeah.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

They can indeed "settle", for want of a better word. Not a connecting rod or some other part that was machined at very fine tolerance, but engine mounts, sub frames etc could have been slightly out of alignment during mounting. During the first hundred miles, the frame flexes naturally, the pieces align properly and the bolt tension can ease. Not enough to make it finger loose, but enough to be under torque spec which suddenly means it might be able to work itself loose over X thousand miles. Probably rare today even when "hand built", due to automated torque wrenches and computer controlled production lines, but probably not unheard of either. Worse things come up as warranty issues across all brands of cars and bikes all the time.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah that's why a lot of bikes have steering head adjustments in the first 600 miles. My XR and the 1290 both had that, and both needed to be adjusted.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Z3n posted:

Yeah that's why a lot of bikes have steering head adjustments in the first 600 miles. My XR and the 1290 both had that, and both needed to be adjusted.

I've never seen such a suggestion in the service manuals for a Yamaha or Honda, the two most reliable bike brands. By that same token, I've never had issues with bolts coming loose on either of those brands, even on vibey thumper dirt bikes.

Maybe it's no coincidence that BMW and KTM rank at or near the bottom of the list for reliability. Perhaps they're not as well designed and assembled as you'd think?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yamaha isn't any more reliable, they're just willing to sacrifice some small percentage of their bikes for a longer maintenance interval. IE, every R6 that burned valves because it didn't make it to the 26k valve interval.

Most riders don't know loose steering bearings from tight so it's a non issue as far as the riders are concerned.

This is all business decisions, not an intrinsic reliability or assembly thing. KTM and BMW are willing to accept higher maintenance costs to maintain the riding experience of their bikes. Other brands value being "cheap to own" and set or omit on maintenance items to reduce ownership costs. Having to adjust steering head bearings a bit after install is completely normal, as there's a pile of components that will settle around them after initial assembly and hitting 600 miles of potholes and stuff. The other option is to set them too tight and hope they loosen up to spec. Sometimes it works, sometimes they wear prematurely from being over-tight.

Perceiving reliability as based around maintenance intervals is like assuming cars that have "lifetime fluid" and no drain plugs on the transmission are better built - they're not, the goalposts were moved in a way that ignores the reality.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never seen such a suggestion in the service manuals for a Yamaha or Honda, the two most reliable bike brands.

Maybe because you haven't looked. 2013 CB500F owners' manual says to check "nuts bolts and fasteners" every 600 miles.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

HotCanadianChick posted:

I've never seen such a suggestion in the service manuals for a Yamaha or Honda, the two most reliable bike brands. By that same token, I've never had issues with bolts coming loose on either of those brands, even on vibey thumper dirt bikes.

Maybe it's no coincidence that BMW and KTM rank at or near the bottom of the list for reliability. Perhaps they're not as well designed and assembled as you'd think?

I downloaded the FZ-09 manual some time ago as I was toying with the idea of an FJ (figured they were the same), checked it now. It too has a steering head bearing check listed on the initial 600 mile service.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Steering heads are a completely different story, taper bearings naturally get looser as they wear and require periodic tightening. I was referring more to other random bolts that hold the bike together like, for example, triple clamp bolts, axle nuts, engine mount bolts etc. All these shouldn't come loose by themselves on a brand new bike and if they're loose after 1,000km then they were either never tightened properly to start with or have a poor design that lends itself to constant loosening. I don't believe that simply riding the bike for a few hundred k's can make random bolts come loose which then never come loose again after re-tightening; pretty sure the manufacturers factor in 'riding the bike' when selecting fasteners, designing brackets and so on. And if they don't, that to me is a crap bike.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Slavvy posted:

Steering heads are a completely different story, taper bearings naturally get looser as they wear and require periodic tightening.

After 600 miles? Or is that you a crap bike?

Slavvy posted:

I was referring more to other random bolts that hold the bike together like, for example, triple clamp bolts, axle nuts, engine mount bolts etc. All these shouldn't come loose by themselves on a brand new bike and if they're loose after 1,000km then they were either never tightened properly to start with or have a poor design that lends itself to constant loosening.

No. Wrong. I explained this above.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I feel like your regular bike mechanic is going to raise an eyebrow, if you show up with a 600 mile bike and ask him to check whether or not all bolts are factory spec.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Nitrox posted:

I feel like your regular bike mechanic is going to raise an eyebrow, if you show up with a 600 mile bike and ask him to check whether or not all bolts are factory spec.

As he rightly should. Both he and I would suggest taking the brand new bike for its initial service to the dealer who honors the warranty and let them decide what to check.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I think we're all glossing over the more important point, that along with the loose fasteners, the bike won't go into neutral.

Or is that part of "preserving the riding experience"

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I think we're all glossing over the more important point, that along with the loose fasteners, the bike won't go into neutral.

The piss-poor build quality is part of the charm, you see.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

It goes into neutral but 90% of the time it doesnt say it is in neutral. It just flashes the word "gear" on the screen, but it is definitely in clutch-out neutral.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
But have you wheelied it yet?

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Lilbeefer posted:

It goes into neutral but 90% of the time it doesnt say it is in neutral. It just flashes the word "gear" on the screen, but it is definitely in clutch-out neutral.

It's a new safety feature. The bike is reminding you to wear protection. Much like seat belt lights in cars.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
By the way if you're using Imgur to host your pics, you can change the original URL to auto-resize the picture to 1024 pix wide.

eg. if my original pic is 3264 x 2448 px straight out of the phone: http://i.imgur.com/Up9VA6x.jpg
I can add "h" to the filename to resize it to 1024 x 768 px: http://i.imgur.com/Up9VA6xh.jpg

Or if you wanna be super fancy, show the resized pic and link it to the full size one:
code:
[url=http://i.imgur.com/Up9VA6x.jpg][img]http://i.imgur.com/Up9VA6xh.jpg[/img][/url]

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can also do it with s/m/l for small medium and large respectively.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
IMO reliability is a perceived thing. I've had the most reliable marques break just as much as the most unreliable marques. Its all in how you watch for things.

and speaking of reliability. Heres my suzuki doing british things. Totally my fault for ignoring the rattly rear end tank for so long too.

The little yellow rear end in a top hat machine continues to be a little yellow rear end in a top hat.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

cursedshitbox posted:

IMO reliability is a perceived thing. I've had the most reliable marques break just as much as the most unreliable marques. Its all in how you watch for things.

That's more a CSB thing; some people are just walking avatars of entropy that cause everything they touch to fall apart no matter how carefully they try to take care of things. :downs:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Touché

Hence the username. :D

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

cursedshitbox posted:

The little yellow rear end in a top hat machine continues to be a little yellow rear end in a top hat.

Truly, a cursed shitbox.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I was gonna say, my Drz did rattle the license plate holder until it cracked, but the tank? Wow

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
That scares me. Maybe I should replace my missing tank donut.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
the mounts and such are all fine. that tank has maybe 8 thousand miles on it. Saturday first shift at the factory :smuggo:

My old tank has 25 thou and it doesnt have any problems. wtf.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Ola posted:

I downloaded the FZ-09 manual some time ago as I was toying with the idea of an FJ (figured they were the same), checked it now. It too has a steering head bearing check listed on the initial 600 mile service.

clutchpuck posted:

Maybe because you haven't looked. 2013 CB500F owners' manual says to check "nuts bolts and fasteners" every 600 miles.

Yeah yeah yeah but HCC hasn't seen it in there

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Just bought a brand new Honda, and yep, 600 mile service includes all that as well. Next week, weather permitting :)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Just bought a brand new Honda, and yep, 600 mile service includes all that as well. Next week, weather permitting :)

Report on what's loose.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Nitrox posted:

Which one did you get?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

A MIRACLE posted:

Which one did you get?

CB1100, will post pictures later. Rode it home the long way though the city, dodging Black Friday traffic. 30 miles took like 2 hours.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
Passed my test yesterday. Upgraded from YBR125 to CBR600F.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

objectively bad posted:

Just in time to enjoy the winter weather! congrats.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

objectively bad posted:

Welcome to the world of faster-than-a-car.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
It looks so much smaller without its clothes on.

Either that or the 125 is fat as gently caress. (psyche, it's both)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Nitrox posted:

CB1100, will post pictures later. Rode it home the long way though the city, dodging Black Friday traffic. 30 miles took like 2 hours.
This bike is everything I thought it would be and more. Could easily see myself keeping it forever. Especially since I paid as much as what they're asking for a Boneville.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The all black looks really nice, congrats!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Nitrox posted:

This bike is everything I thought it would be and more. Could easily see myself keeping it forever. Especially since I paid as much as what they're asking for a Boneville.

I'll gladly admit I don't 'get' the appeal of these but that looks really nice. The rear fender is extremely questionable though, it's like they just took the usual tail end garbage bikes have, chromed it and called it a day.