Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Samsung killed my family

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I've been using a Note 5 for a month now, work is changing to Knox and I'm sick and tired of carrying 2 phones around so if I can use just one I will. Overall I'm actually pretty happy with it, Touchwiz is clearly better than it used to be, despite having some ridiculous issues like poo poo memory management/multitasking, and the notification tray. The battery and camera, the most important parts of a phone to me, are incredible on this phone. And rumour currently is that 6.0 is coming in December, worst case hopefully January. So while I miss some parts of a Nexus, the stock interface and quicker updates, the Note 5 isn't nearly as bad as I expected and I can definitely use it as an everyday phone.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005
OK does Samsung Pay non-sense go in here?

I picked up a Samsung Edge+ yesterday given the stupid, stupid good deal at Best Buy, $250 gift card that you can use to pay the taxes on the device, then the Samsung holiday bundle so free wireless charger, free portable fast charger, free level headphones, then activate Samsung Pay and get a $100 Samsung gift card, oh hey, that's what the Gear VR costs or a $50 Best Buy gift card, possibly both, the wording isn't clear, it allowed me to submit both offers.

So basically 2 hours of yelling at AT&T to allow me to unbundle my Uverse service to upgrade at Best Buy netted me a $100 account credit, an instant $250 Best Buy gift card and $400 worth of accessories.

Anyways, I tried to use the magnetic payment option at a store yesterday and the card reader spit back card declined but not just a declined message, it was something like card not accepted use alternate payment method, there was more to it, it looked like it was specifically declining the magnetic payment. Is that a thing merchants can do? For the record it was Walmart which has made their opposition to mobile payment clear, I could see how virtual card numbers could come in a special number series like pre-paid cards/debit cards that would allow them to be declined. Samsung Pay worked fine at Walgreens and Whole Foods using NFC.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
Isnt Wal-Mart incredibly against NFC payments and onboard with CurrentC? Given that it does both MST and NFC, Samsung Pay theoretically should work on the former but there seem to be a few others online saying specifically at Walmart it doesn't work but it works elsewhere.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.

Shadowgate posted:

I can tell you the S6 is probably the worst android phone I've ever owned. Samsung has managed to take what should be a very fast hardware platform and turn it into a stuttering laggy mess. Total pile of poo poo that I dumped as soon as the 6P was released. It's like a night and day difference between the two in terms of performance.

So I went to a store and tried to open 2 chrome tabs, google maps and gmail and the phone was already kicking something out of RAM. Tried the same with the 5X and it didn't. Not gonna buy it. I wish I could see and touch an X Pure/Style without having to buy it :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Three Olives posted:

Anyways, I tried to use the magnetic payment option at a store yesterday and the card reader spit back card declined but not just a declined message, it was something like card not accepted use alternate payment method, there was more to it, it looked like it was specifically declining the magnetic payment. Is that a thing merchants can do? For the record it was Walmart which has made their opposition to mobile payment clear, I could see how virtual card numbers could come in a special number series like pre-paid cards/debit cards that would allow them to be declined. Samsung Pay worked fine at Walgreens and Whole Foods using NFC.

Is the card you tired to use chipped?

If it has a chip, you have to use it either via NFC or in the chip reader. POS terminals will reject a magnetic swipe of a chipped card now if they accept the chip because it is less secure and they'll be under harsher penalties from the card issuers if the system is breached.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'm not familiar with Walmart but most POS will tell you to run it in the EMV, they won't just say declined and reject the payment method.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Exactly. Regardless of people's feelings about Touchwiz, it's often what they picture first when they hear "android", they definitely don't think of a Nexus phone. Google's gotta do something fast about it.
Why do they? Last time I checked they have the most popular smartphone OS in the world. What terrible thing will happen if they don't do something about this fast, and why hasn't it already happened during the last five years?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I just swapped phones because my friend wanted to try out my Style/Pure so I'm using his S6. The only gripe I have is the overly bubbly theme and sounds (like the last 4 Galaxys!). It runs pretty fluid and switching between stuff isn't much of a problem either. Not sure why people are having issues with RAM but chrome reloads the same pages when I switch back to it that it has on every device I've used.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tunga posted:

Why do they? Last time I checked they have the most popular smartphone OS in the world. What terrible thing will happen if they don't do something about this fast, and why hasn't it already happened during the last five years?

Because Touchwiz has some major optimization, performance, and memory issues, and Google should care about how their most popular fork comes across to the public?

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

bull3964 posted:

Is the card you tired to use chipped?

If it has a chip, you have to use it either via NFC or in the chip reader. POS terminals will reject a magnetic swipe of a chipped card now if they accept the chip because it is less secure and they'll be under harsher penalties from the card issuers if the system is breached.

It's chipped but at least my Walmart will make you swipe chipped debit cards, if you try and use the chip it tells you to swipe it. It's the opposite with credit cards even from the same bank. My Bank of America credit card must be inserted, my Bank of America debit card must be swiped. The card I entered was my debit card which I always swiped and in fact swiped after the Samsung card was declined.

Regardless any card you add to Apple Pay/Samsung Pay/Android Pay gets added as a virtual card number that is completely different from your actual card number and shows up as unchipped. It actually asked me for my pin before declining the card so it went at least partially through.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My old man needs a cell phone under $200 to use on Verizon post paid service. Used or new is fine. What is a good bet?

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Reverse Centaur posted:

He knew my love for stock and is phone savvy but also a bit of an idiot who never does what I say he should do.

You think that's bad, mine is getting a OnePlus X despite my warnings. I've failed as a brother. He's even coming from a Nexus 4 so he should know better.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!

LastInLine posted:

It looks like a bad cable is saying the phone is intermittently connected to power. Look around lines 1000-1100 and you'll see the charge state change from charging to not and the display turn on accordingly.

I don't think it's the cable as it happens with any cable/charger.

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Well you probably shouldn't rule out a Snapchat based module crashing your camera service.

That's a good point, I'll disable the module and see what happens.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
The T-Mobile Galaxy S6 had an update a week ago that brought many performance improvements to touchwiz. It runs faster, VoLTE doesn't kill the battery, and keeps programs in ram longer. If you have T-Mobile, you may want to try upgrading.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Ashex posted:

I don't think it's the cable as it happens with any cable/charger.

Then its probably a hosed usb port

The phone definitely thinks it's not charging for some reason

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I don't think this is just me, and I don't think it's a problem with my phone per se, I'm just missing something coming from using an iPhone for years, but: How do I get my phone to always, ALWAYS play an alert sound when I get a text message? Too many times now my phone has been sitting on my desk right in front of me, a text comes in, and I don't get an alert noise. I have one set, and I have the volume at a reasonable level, so what's going on? It seems like sounds are only played when the phone is unlocked with the screen on.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

BJPaskoff posted:

I don't think this is just me, and I don't think it's a problem with my phone per se, I'm just missing something coming from using an iPhone for years, but: How do I get my phone to always, ALWAYS play an alert sound when I get a text message? Too many times now my phone has been sitting on my desk right in front of me, a text comes in, and I don't get an alert noise. I have one set, and I have the volume at a reasonable level, so what's going on? It seems like sounds are only played when the phone is unlocked with the screen on.

What phone and firmware? Sounds like a bug with the phone's SMS software. Use an SMS app that allows you to make it repeat notification sounds until you read the message or mark it read. I use EvolveSMS for this. This should help you not miss messages, and may also be more reliable at notifying you in the first place.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Try using a different SMS app - Hangouts or the other Google one should work fine

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

CLAM DOWN posted:

I've been using a Note 5 for a month now, work is changing to Knox and I'm sick and tired of carrying 2 phones around so if I can use just one I will. Overall I'm actually pretty happy with it, Touchwiz is clearly better than it used to be, despite having some ridiculous issues like poo poo memory management/multitasking, and the notification tray. The battery and camera, the most important parts of a phone to me, are incredible on this phone. And rumour currently is that 6.0 is coming in December, worst case hopefully January. So while I miss some parts of a Nexus, the stock interface and quicker updates, the Note 5 isn't nearly as bad as I expected and I can definitely use it as an everyday phone.

Going from the Note 3 to Nexus 5 is the reason I have a 6P now. Best of both camera/battery and stock.

But yeah everything is usable these days. Even my Sonim XP7 work phone is a pretty decent phone, as long as you don't try to talk on it because no one can loving hear you, or try to put it in a pocket.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

BeastOfExmoor posted:

What phone and firmware? Sounds like a bug with the phone's SMS software. Use an SMS app that allows you to make it repeat notification sounds until you read the message or mark it read. I use EvolveSMS for this. This should help you not miss messages, and may also be more reliable at notifying you in the first place.

Nexus 6P, the default Messenger app. I switched to Hangouts, but I don't like the interface as much. Just installed Textra and will play around with it tomorrow.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

:siren: B&H Photo has the Nexus 5X for $299 for the 16GB and $349 for the 32GB. :siren:

B&H is a legit retailer. Like, I'd rate them up there with Newegg and Amazon.

BJPaskoff posted:

Nexus 6P, the default Messenger app. I switched to Hangouts, but I don't like the interface as much. Just installed Textra and will play around with it tomorrow.

Strange, that's a bug that I'd expect from, say, some 3rd tier Samsung budget phone, but not a 6P.

Vaginaface
Aug 26, 2013

HEY REI HEY REI,
do vaginaface!
Are there any comparable 6P deals, now or forthcoming?

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Saw something about Amazon doing a deal for a $199 Nexus 6 as well.

I currently have a Nexus 5, so hmm... thinking I'll pull the trigger if a 6P deal shows up.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

Vaginaface posted:

Are there any comparable 6P deals, now or forthcoming?

No idea, but they don't usually announce this stuff in advance.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Wow. Ships to Australia too. For about $300 cheaper. Not sure how the NA varient differs from the Australian version though.

Edit: Oh.... "Ships to Australia except for lithium batteries". I supposed "Lithium Polymer" counts as "lithium batteries"? gently caress our laws.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

xcore posted:

Wow. Ships to Australia too. For about $300 cheaper. Not sure how the NA varient differs from the Australian version though.

Edit: Oh.... "Ships to Australia except for lithium batteries". I supposed "Lithium Polymer" counts as "lithium batteries"? gently caress our laws.

LTE bands are usually different between NA and "rest of the world" variants. Definitely suggest you check what LTE bands are used by Australian carriers.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

air- posted:

LTE bands are usually different between NA and "rest of the world" variants. Definitely suggest you check what LTE bands are used by Australian carriers.

Use this site to easily check:

http://www.willmyphonework.net/

Edit: drat, great deal on the 5X. Went ahead and ordered one (€200 cheaper than in Germany :captainpop: )

:siren: Edit 2: Amazon and the Google Store have the same deal. :siren:

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Nov 27, 2015

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

The Motorola Nexus 6 is $199 on Amazon right now. And I just bought one because between the current Moto X PE and Nexus 6P, I could not for the life of me choose between the two. And, wanting a big screen phone, I figured this will hold me over for 8-12 months until the next great Android comes out. Also, I'm slightly intoxicated and can't help but shop on the internet at 3am on Black Friday.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Has anyone in the thread had an X Pure and a 5X and can tell me if there's any significant difference in performance?

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

SouthLAnd posted:

The Motorola Nexus 6 is $199 on Amazon right now. And I just bought one because between the current Moto X PE and Nexus 6P, I could not for the life of me choose between the two. And, wanting a big screen phone, I figured this will hold me over for 8-12 months until the next great Android comes out. Also, I'm slightly intoxicated and can't help but shop on the internet at 3am on Black Friday.

Thanks, just bought. Hopefully this will have slightly better battery than my Nexus 5 which is now complete piss

e: trying to resist the urge to buy another 5 Nexus 6s, and flip them for a 150euro/phone profit in my native 3rd world Ireland. Seems like money for jam, but also kinda sleazy...

WeAreTheRomans fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Nov 27, 2015

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer
I bought 3 to give to various family members. Tempted to buy a 5X as well for a family member who probably doesn't want a hugephone...

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Because Touchwiz has some major optimization, performance, and memory issues, and Google should care about how their most popular fork comes across to the public?

Google doesn't care because their customers are the OEMs not the end users. What is HTC going to do, make Windows Phones?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

This is true from the perspective of the user, but it doesn't answer the question.

Google haven't "gotta do something fast about it" because they haven't done anything (much) about it for the last five years and Android is in a great place from Google's perspective. Almost all of the major phone manufacturers in the world are selling phones running (Google's) Android and it is the leader by market share pretty much everywhere accessible to Google.

Would it would be nice if Google made Touchwiz better? Sure. Is Android doomed if they don't? Not at all. Should we expect Google to care? Not really.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

SouthLAnd posted:

Well, I like my 2013 Moto X but now I have a hugephone on the way. Guess I better start letting out my pants pockets.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Motorola are doing the Moto X Style for £200 (16GB base model, can add other stuff) in the UK which is a pretty great deal. Some other stuff reduced as well but sadly not the Moto G:

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

BJPaskoff posted:

I've been having that exact problem with the same setup. Kind of annoying since it's The Google Phone with The Google Messenger. I tried Textra briefly but it looks a bit ugly compared to Messenger.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LifeSizePotato posted:

I've been having that exact problem with the same setup. Kind of annoying since it's The Google Phone with The Google Messenger. I tried Textra briefly but it looks a bit ugly compared to Messenger.

I actually really like Textra's minimalistic interface with the huge amount of options. I think I asked earlier in the thread if there was a way to have a longer vibration or even a pattern on text alerts, and Textra does that.

I'm glad to know it's not just me. I tried Googling the problem, but couldn't find any results. Just a lot of people asking unrelated things about messaging options.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Are you a masochist? Do you hate having a working phone?

Well, now you can get the OnePlus 2 and the OnePlus X without an invite!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

teagone posted:

Just bought 6 Moto E (latest version) phones for $10 each from Best Buy in 3 separate orders. They're Verizon pre-paid models but can be easily modded to work on GSM carriers. Hooray for Black Friday. I hope none of the orders get cancelled though :ohdear:

Oh hey, the phones are back online at Best Buy, just picked one up for working out now that I have an absurdly expensive S6 Edge+.