Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Guilty Spork posted:

"Now if you'll excuse us, we're going to go talk about how Black Lives Matter protesters are thugs paid by George Soros, and we wouldn't want any inconvenient interruptions as we regurgitate headlines from WND and Breitbart."

5 Facts to Silence Your Smug Millennial Nephew This Thanksgiving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

MissEchelon posted:

Christmas Island asylum seeker boat ‘disappeared’ after being towed by navy

And from yesterday's SMH (Glen Le Lievre, doesn't get posted here often unlike the other fairfax cartoonists)

:smith:

These last few weeks have really made me hate what we in the civilized world have become.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

So is the turkey supposed to be Madigan or...

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty
This is incredible.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jokes that you can't tell are jokes until the last sentence are not very funny.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

1 Millennials Don't Have Jobs
2 Nobody Wants to Marry Millennials
3 Millennials Live in Their Parents' Basements
4 Millennials Are Financially Illiterate
5 Even Millennials Don't Want to Be Millennials

All of these points seem kinda mean to say to your own nephew.

"gently caress you, kid, you're unemployed, you'll never get married, you live in your parents basement, you're gonna be broke come retirement, and you don't even want to be yourself! Pass the stuffing?"

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

TheBigAristotle posted:

"gently caress you, kid, you're unemployed, you'll never get married, you live in your parents basement, you're gonna be broke come retirement, and you don't even want to be yourself! Pass the stuffing?"

You forget the "Just kidding!".

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I felt it was very obvious that was a joke since literally every reason had a "Sure, poo poo sucks for millenials in this way..." attached to it.

Which honestly is surprising since it came from the wsj.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Saint Sputnik posted:

Thanksgiving is a time when the left and the right can come together and infantilize young people with legitimate grievances

Why are they eating out, it's not Jewish Christmas? :confused:

And the waiter is talking about Thanksgiving in the past tense, but the Ungrateful Youngster makes it sound like it's on Thanksgiving and... :psyboom:

Seriously, though, I don't remember Horsey ever bitching about whiny college kids before.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It's after Thanksgiving. The comic is just taking place during the same weekend when many college students are home.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

TheBigAristotle posted:

No my parents do this all the time when I argue political points like "You know we shouldn't fire bomb the Middle East like we did in Japan in WWII" (I was shocked that my parents argued with me on this, seeing how we are pretty liberal on most things)

At the end of the day my mom will just hit me with that zinger "Why don't you use your passion for something important like getting a job" Yeah like I haven't tried, but you know what getting a good job in geology isn't easy unless you want to get in oil and gas which I rather not since I don't want to be a sell out for assholes who want to continue ruining this planet. I do hope that Americorps Conservation stint looks good for National Park jobs though.

Doesn't help that there are no jobs in Paleontology because A) I would have to go through grad school B) I'm fighting against the Jurassic Park generation and C) There are never jobs in Paleontology :smithicide:

Also #4 can be solved if our generation was forced to go to economics/financial classes in high school.

achillesforever6 fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 26, 2015

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

TheBigAristotle posted:

I especially liked "Here's now to shut up your dumb smug millennial kids, number 5: Why don't you want to be called millennials, just because millennials are stupid and lazy?"

1-3 are literally "Why do you suck so much at magically overcoming the bad economy?" I'm reminded of how at one job the HR manager asked if anyone on my team had kids, and my team lead replied, "Oh, none of us get paid enough to afford kids."

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I guess that the founding Father shouldn't have tried to cop the Roman empire so hard then

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
To be fair, we really should be scamming rich boomers out of everything they own, since that is what they consider productive economic activity.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

TheBigAristotle posted:

Once again the Onion fails to be as bad as reality

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!

When I first heard this story I didn't hear the muslim part, so I thought he was saying he saw a bunch of New Jerseyians(?) cheering when the towers fell.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

After The War posted:

Why are they eating out, it's not Jewish Christmas? :confused:

And the waiter is talking about Thanksgiving in the past tense, but the Ungrateful Youngster makes it sound like it's on Thanksgiving and... :psyboom:

Seriously, though, I don't remember Horsey ever bitching about whiny college kids before.

I dunno how common it is, but I know a lot of families who are too busy/work too much to cook a big meal and don't necessarily want to visit relatives (or don't have relatives to visit) will go out to eat thanksgiving. A fair number of restaurants will have special thanksgiving meals. My family did this a couple times growing up.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

After The War posted:

Horsey seems antagonistic toward college and particularly "PC culture"

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

achillesforever6 posted:

No my parents do this all the time when I argue political points like "You know we shouldn't fire bomb the Middle East like we did in Japan in WWII" (I was shocked that my parents argued with me on this, seeing how we are pretty liberal on most things)

At the end of the day my mom will just hit me with that zinger "Why don't you use your passion for something important like getting a job" Yeah like I haven't tried, but you know what getting a good job in geology isn't easy unless you want to get in oil and gas which I rather not since I don't want to be a sell out for assholes who want to continue ruining this planet. I do hope that Americorps Conservation stint looks good for National Park jobs though.

Doesn't help that there are no jobs in Paleontology because A) I would have to go through grad school B) I'm fighting against the Jurassic Park generation and C) There are never jobs in Paleontology :smithicide:

Also #4 can be solved if our generation was forced to go to economics/financial classes in high school.

The Jobs argument also doesn't work ebcause we've reached the point where they aren't enough jobs for everybody. It's literally impossible for everyone to get a job.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Shakespeare is a dead white guy, an obvious cartoon.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Lol at people being owned by a satirical piece about millennials. Maybe there is a grain of truth to the stereotype.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

achillesforever6 posted:

At the end of the day my mom will just hit me with that zinger "Why don't you use your passion for something important like getting a job"

My old man loves this line. I'm employed and I like my job :smith:

Paladinus posted:

Lol at people being owned by a satirical piece about millennials. Maybe there is a grain of truth to the stereotype.

"The best satire is a bunch of statements the writer believes wholeheartedly, followed by "I'm kiiiidding!" -Adam Sandler

TheBigAristotle fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 26, 2015

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Paladinus posted:

LingcodKilla posted:

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.

These read like parodies. "If you know so much, then why are you poor? CheckMATE young man, now shut up and eat your sweet potatoes."

Inter-post edit: I suppose these are "jokes", but I'm sure some millennial's relative is taking a few notes before heading off to dinner right now.

I have a nephew just out of college and I myself am back in school to finish my Bachelors of Science in Chemistry (almost enough for a mathematics minor, but I want to graduate in the summer).

Maybe it's our hard-science bent (Nephew graduated as a computer science major, electrical engineering minor) but our college-related Thanksgiving talk is usually about programming, organic synthesis pathways and physics concepts. We almost never bring up politics, but in the rare event we do it hardly matters.
We're all very left leaning to say the least. :D

KillerJunglist fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 26, 2015

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

TheBigAristotle posted:

My old man loves this line. I'm employed and I like my job :smith:

"The best satire is a bunch of statements the writer believes wholeheartedly, followed by "I'm kiiiidding!" -Adam Sandler

It was 100% obvious from the first fact. Too bad your unemployable millennial brains couldn't pick up on that.

UrbicaMortis
Feb 16, 2012

Hmm, how shall I post today?

No one has commented on this one but it's really good. I don't know much about australian politics and I got what the cartoon was saying immediately. Pope is very good.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Pththya-lyi posted:

Your would-be evangelizer would probably point out that the Book of Revelation keeps referring to Hell as "the second death." Depending on their flavor of Christianity, they may even believe that the souls of non-believers will be destroyed after the Final Judgment instead of suffering eternally in Hell.

Also, people often use a standard Latin cross as their Bridge to Life, like so:

But I'm sure you can see the serious flaw in that drawing: "How am I supposed to get past the top beam? That's a terrible design for a bridge!" So I'm not surprised the guy in the video modified his bridge.

Seems to ignore Matthew 7:21 but I guess cherry picking bible verses is par for the course

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

LingcodKilla posted:

It is blatantly obvious by sentence two.

I am astounded that literally anyone could think that the article was meant seriously. None of the facts are actual talking points. They just point out how lovely life is for Millennial.

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 26, 2015

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 216 days!
Yeah, that article was basically "it isn't your kids' fault their life sucks, it's the same poo poo that everyone else is worried about keeping them down."

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

QuoProQuid posted:

It is blatantly obvious by sentence two.

I am astounded that literally anyone could think that the article was meant seriously. None of the facts are actual talking points. They just point out how lovely life is for Millennial.

I can believe it was written seriously because I see people talk like this all the time at work and in life in general. I dont really read the WSJ so I didnt know it was Onion level satire.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
I think Horsey is being a bit tongue in cheek there.

some FUCKING LIAR
Sep 19, 2002

Fallen Rib

Jerry Cotton posted:

The Finnish Lutheran version just has Jesus bridging the gap and you don't even need faith, which is nice.

In Zoroastrianism, the bridge is guarded by a pair of dogs, and its width is determined by your deeds in life.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

All these cartoons about how afraid parents are of their kids disagreeing with them at Thanksgiving make it seem like the 'PC' thing is mostly just a generational rift. Boomers are confused because their kids don't seem to value the same things they do, like cars or huge houses (even though most of the factors are economic), instead caring about obscure concepts like "not being a huge dick" or "not making GBS threads on everyone who isn't like them".

Eschers Basement
Sep 13, 2007

by exmarx

Bullfrog posted:

All these cartoons about how afraid parents are of their kids disagreeing with them at Thanksgiving make it seem like the 'PC' thing is mostly just a generational rift. Boomers are confused because their kids don't seem to value the same things they do, like cars or huge houses (even though most of the factors are economic), instead caring about obscure concepts like "not being a huge dick" or "not making GBS threads on everyone who isn't like them".

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LV0wTtiJygY

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Saint Sputnik posted:

Horsey seems antagonistic toward college and particularly "PC culture"

Hahahahaha

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Hodgepodge posted:

Yeah, that article was basically "it isn't your kids' fault their life sucks, it's the same poo poo that everyone else is worried about keeping them down."

Yeah, that was pretty obvious. Still the only thing that really changed from it was me going from being angry at the writer (like the "here's what happens when you don't spank a generation" LA Times guy who did that "Millenial Pledge" thing) and instead just got me really :smith: about my life.

I'm not one to talk about being born in the wrong century, but it would have been really nice to be a boomer.

Also lol at Horsey if he thinks Universities don't adore Shakespeare. It's just that sometimes they do stuff from other cultures and they are also pretty great!

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
I do think sometimes college freshmen get back and are annoying about things they have learned but not yet fully internalized/learned to put into perspective? :shrug:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Quorum posted:

I do think sometimes college freshmen get back and are annoying about things they have learned but not yet fully internalized/learned to put into perspective? :shrug:

Yea but there's a huge gap between 'oh cool you took a psych class and now are fit to tell us how you can just tell that (politician you don't like and only heard about a month ago) is leigitmately a sociopath who probably killed someone before' and 'PC THUGS PROBABLY HATE SHAKESPEARE FOR BEING A WHITE MAN AND CALL ANYONE WHO DISAGREES A RACIST'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I just hate dead people :shrug:

• Locked thread