Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
So you're going to make a renovation thread right...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

PainterofCrap posted:

So...she spent an entire weekend (though I'm skeptical that she laid underlayment over OSB along with everything else in that time period), probably $200 in materials, had to have destroyed at least one bucket, a couple squeegees, countless rags, paper towels, clothes and socks with the glue solution, and put down a vulnerable paper floor just so she could say "looks like wood, don't it? Well, it AIN'T!"

Rather than spend less time and possibly the same amount of money putting down a PERGO knockoff that would have lasted ten times longer. poo poo, the time she spent overlaying the OSB, bingo: new floor.

Wow.
The thing that I don't get about it, is that $200 is probably more than it would have taken to get some homeless despot grade hdf faux wood laminate flooring.
The room really doesn't look that big in the photos, it'd have taken maybe a couple of hours to lay a click-laminate floor.

nota
Dec 9, 2013
Yeah but then you can't brag about it online.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Lumber Liquidators can sell you some horrid laminate as low as $.29/foot, just catch that sale.

That brown paper floor will have cracks in the varnish along the plywood edge lines in under a year. But we'll never hear about it

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

Nitrox posted:

Lumber Liquidators can sell you some horrid laminate as low as $.29/foot, just catch that sale.

That brown paper floor will have cracks in the varnish along the plywood edge lines in under a year. But we'll never hear about it

It only might contain formaldehyde too.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Nitrox posted:

Did you miss the "one year later" followup post?

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Anne Whateley posted:

Did you miss the "one year later" followup post?

Totally, yeah. It's hard to navigate on my phone, can you summarize if not too much trouble?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Nitrox posted:

Totally, yeah. It's hard to navigate on my phone, can you summarize if not too much trouble?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Here's the link. Tl;dr in general it looks fine, there are a few scratches and spots of wear under the crib wheels, and a mystery patch where the poly is flaking off.

She did her guest bedroom to match, and at the same time she resealed the bedroom with a different product. She hosed up, though (didn't let it dry between coats -- she acknowledges it was all on her), so the new finish is blistering.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
If you were saving money and weight on like, a camper or tiny house, this would be a cute little solution if you're only doing a few square feet.

But then again, how much sealer are you using vs the weight of say, fake wood lino or click-lock. Hmm. It's still interesting though, maybe if you were going for a certain effect or had a paper or print you really liked. I would not do the 'torn paper bag' thing. Ooh, unless I was going for like fake flagstones, that might actually look cool.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

DrBouvenstein posted:

Painted counters in the kitchen. The existing ones look original (from the 1970's,) and we can see they were originally pink, so while baby blue is a little better, the paint is stained and chipping in several places.
A microwave above the stove that's about a foot too high. I don't know about you, but I don't care for taking hot soup out of a microwave that's almost above my head.

And your stove doesn't fit flush against the wall, that's a pet peeve of mine.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Suspect Bucket posted:

If you were saving money and weight on like, a camper or tiny house, this would be a cute little solution if you're only doing a few square feet.

But then again, how much sealer are you using vs the weight of say, fake wood lino or click-lock. Hmm.

At that point you might as well just finish the OSB. It doesn't look any worse, done right, and cuts out most of the steps.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

StormDrain posted:

Our stove is something like 8 inches from the wall because apparently whoever ran the gas line 80 years ago was a complete moron and had it come up in the middle of the floor rather than at the wall. :argh:

I should really take some pictures of the place because boy howdy there are some goofy things. Nothing catastrophic, just tedious stuff that no one has ever fixed.

The prior tenant did that gluing-rocks-to-the-wall thing, as well.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Ashcans posted:

Our stove is something like 8 inches from the wall because apparently whoever ran the gas line 80 years ago was a complete moron and had it come up in the middle of the floor rather than at the wall. :argh:

Well, a lot of stoves back then were on legs and had a good foot or so of open space underneath the stove, so there wasn't a need to put the gas at the wall...

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

A leak being fed into the toilet reservoir?

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Looks like it. At first glance I thought it was propping up the ceiling as a load-bearing toilet, which I wish it now was, so that the phrase load-bearing toilet could be used non-hypothetically.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Messadiah posted:

A leak being fed into the toilet reservoir?

That's actually kind of genius in a lovely redneck engineering way; I mean, if the reservoir water gets too high, it'll just go down the drain anyway, right?

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Wasabi the J posted:

That's actually kind of genius in a lovely redneck engineering way; I mean, if the reservoir water gets too high, it'll just go down the drain anyway, right?

If the overflow tube isn't above the hole in the side of the tank for the handle and you don't mind the sound of a running toilet, sure.

Oh, and you'll have to get creative with lifting and rotating the lid if you ever need to do any work inside the tank.

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Nov 29, 2015

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Wasabi the J posted:

Not any more genius than routing it to the sink a foot to the right.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Slugworth posted:

Yeah, but that wastes perfectly good water!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Could be grey water.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Slugworth posted:

My inbred drunk contractor argument is that if you wanna wash your hands with grey leak water, do it in your own basement shitter, not mine.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I water my plants with my leaky bathtub faucet + a pitcher, but that thing is a whole other level.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Javid posted:

I water my plants with my leaky bathtub faucet + a pitcher, but that thing is a whole other level.

One is the lazy fix to a difficult problem, the other is the lazy fix to an easy problem. :downs:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

StormDrain posted:

On top of what Ashcans said, the plug for an electric stove is at least a couple of inches deep. Electric stoves often can't sit flush because of that. And if the house was originally set up for a gas range, the outlet box for the stove may be surface mount, which brings it out a couple of more inches (minimum).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

some texas redneck posted:

On top of what Ashcans said, the plug for an electric stove is at least a couple of inches deep. Electric stoves often can't sit flush because of that. And if the house was originally set up for a gas range, the outlet box for the stove may be surface mount, which brings it out a couple of more inches (minimum).

I wish it was sett up for a gas stove. Just a crummy install job of the plug and outlet when it was originally built.

At some point we'll upgrade the stove to gas, but as said, the fence falling apart and the bathroom needing remodeling take priority over the kitchen. The only benefit of that stove is that it was built before things like "efficiency" and "safety" so it actually heats up as shitload faster than any other electric I've ever used.

What annoys me is that the house HAS gas lines! The furnace and water heater are on natural gas, have been since the place was built, near as I can tell. But I guess piping gas a few feet up into the kitchen was too much work. So now when we remodel the kitchen we'll have to pay to get a gas line into there. It's on an exterior wall, too, so that makes it even more fun to pay for a gas line up there. Luckily, the current gas line runs very near where the stove is now, so shouldn't be too hard/expensive? I hope?

Hell, they had the foresight to put a gas line on the exterior of the house so I can install a natural gas grill if I want, but didn't bother with one for the kitchen. WTF?

I also had a lot of fun this weekend just trying to install that drat USB outlet.

The outlet I was replacing was NOT on the circuit listed as "Master Bedroom" in the breaker box. The rest of the outlets and light were, but not that one. Ok, it shares a wall with another bedroom, so must be on that circuit...great, that bedroom isn't listed on the panel, only half the rooms are. So went through all the breakers to find out what does what and labeled them myself.

At first it looked like NONE of the breakers controlled that other bedroom. Found the one for the kitchen lights and outlets (stove was already labeled,) one of the living room, the office, the downstairs rooms (of course, one of the downstairs rooms has two different breakers for outlets and lights.) but it didn't look like any of them controlled that drat second bedroom + outlet. So I figured it had to shared with a breaker for a room I already flipped. Yup...the second bedroom and that one outlet are on the same cicruit as the living room outlets...despite being just about as far away from the living room as possible, and there being, from what I could tell, 2 15 AMP breakers in the box that are unused.

But even then I couldn't install that outlet because after removing the old one, I found out it isn't grounded...no ground wire in the outlet box as far as I could tell. I was willing to live with that since, as said, the only thing I planned to plug into that didn't use ground, but the outlet box is so small the only-slightly-larger-than-normal USB outlet wouldn't fit in it. :mad:

It might have been able to fit if there wasn't so much excess wire in the box, but I couldn't push them out of the box because they were secured in place with a clamp of some kind that I couldn't access. So the only way to fix all the crap wrong with this outlet would involve making a large square hole in the drywall between the studs, replace it, and put a piece of drywall back, and attempt to tape, mud, sand, and paint it to look good...and I can't be bothered to do that. Since the outlet has no ground, I decided it's best to not use it at all, really. I put wire nuts over the existing wires and put one of those blank switch plates over it.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
We are in a similar boat where we have gas run in the house, but only to the upstairs furnace and nowhere else. I've just learned to like our electric range and plan to upgrade to an induction top when money is good.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

One of the best things I did when building my house was put both gas and electric in for the stove and dryer. Also put a line outside for my grill.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I didn't know they made charcoal lines. :colbert:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

KillHour posted:

Taste the meat, not the heat. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

clean burning charcoal shouldn't taste like anything and powerful enough gas/electric/infrared/whatever grills cook just as good as charcoal

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Enourmo posted:

clean burning charcoal shouldn't taste like anything and powerful enough gas/electric/infrared/whatever grills cook just as good as charcoal

Nothing cooks quite like LOX, though. :science:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Enourmo posted:

I don't use that briquette poo poo. Lump all the way, like a real man.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

DrBouvenstein posted:

What annoys me is that the house HAS gas lines! The furnace and water heater are on natural gas, have been since the place was built, near as I can tell. But I guess piping gas a few feet up into the kitchen was too much work.
It's because people of a certain age (read: Baby Boomers) think that gas stoves haven't evolved at all in the last 40 years and are still as fiddly/dangerous to use now as when they were kids.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

KillHour posted:

Wow.

KillHour posted:

(I like how you roll)

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

KillHour posted:

dusted

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

KillHour posted:

Solid lump mesquite, like a cowballer...

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."
Dried cow patties, like a peasant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

KillHour posted:

If the SR-71 can (nearly) run jets on coal slurry, we in the first world can have hot and cold running charcoal.