Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Wonder Weapon
Dec 16, 2006

M_Gargantua posted:

Plastidip is hilariously awesome stuff. Plastidipping wrench handles is pretty useful. Wheels less so.

If you're a function over form sort of person go ahead and dip. Protects well and is easy to repair. If however you want a beautiful car stick with the stock or get a proper powder coat.
I've always loved matte paint jobs but repainting a car is just a realistic option for a variety of reasons. Looking around Google there's some great looking plastidip jobs. I've got all winter to figure out what I'd want to do.

Meanwhile, would these fit an 08 Cayman? They seem to be the right bolt pattern but I'm probably missing another important number. They're ugly as poo poo but they're just winter wheels.

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/wto/5305522967.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

martinlutherbling
Mar 27, 2010
I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 944 as a 2nd car/fair weather Spring-Fall daily. I haven't checked out any in person yet (and probably won't start seriously looking until next March at the soonest), but a bit of quick searching shows a few pretty nice looking examples in the $5k ballpark.
I know there's a few AI guys rocking 944's, can anyone speak to what ownership is like? How's the general reliability? Maintenance costs? Fun to driveiness?

blk
Dec 19, 2009

martinlutherbling posted:

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up a 944 as a 2nd car/fair weather Spring-Fall daily. I haven't checked out any in person yet (and probably won't start seriously looking until next March at the soonest), but a bit of quick searching shows a few pretty nice looking examples in the $5k ballpark.
I know there's a few AI guys rocking 944's, can anyone speak to what ownership is like? How's the general reliability? Maintenance costs? Fun to driveiness?

I've wondered the same thing. The two things I've always heard are:

A 944 will always cost you at least 10k. Whether you buy a fixer or buy one already fixed, you'll end up at that number.

-and-

You want the S2.

blk fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 27, 2015

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm considering trading my M4 for a 2015 Cayman S that a local dealer has left over. I think I can get it for 9-10k under MSRP as they're already advertising it at 7k under MSRP and it's the end of the year.

It's reasonably well equipped, sport suspension and power steering plus, and some cosmetics. 6 speed.

Anything I should look out for? I know it won't feel as fast as the M4 but all that power is pretty useless day to day and I want to try a Porsche.

Edit: apparently one can get massive discounts on prior year new Carreras. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bye bye money

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Dec 27, 2015

blk
Dec 19, 2009
A friend of mine is selling his 996 Targa. 180k on the chassis, under 100k on the engine. The engine was replaced at some point by the owner before him under warranty. We're still trying to figure out when; I'm waiting for the dealership to get back to me. The car may need a new air/oil separator soon. His mechanic says he may be due for a clutch in another year, but he just replaced it last summer - he thinks the mechanic may be going on feel so he's replacing the helper spring to see if that helps. I haven't seen the service records but have reason to believe he's taken care of it. Anything to look for or expensive maintenance items in the 100k-200k mileage range? He's thinking of selling it for 15k but suggested I may be able to get a friend discount. I have a mechanic I trust that I can take it to for a PPI.

blk fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 16, 2016

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Seinfeld is selling a couple of his cars

:awesome:

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Jealous Cow posted:

I'm considering trading my M4 for a 2015 Cayman S that a local dealer has left over. I think I can get it for 9-10k under MSRP as they're already advertising it at 7k under MSRP and it's the end of the year.

It's reasonably well equipped, sport suspension and power steering plus, and some cosmetics. 6 speed.

Anything I should look out for? I know it won't feel as fast as the M4 but all that power is pretty useless day to day and I want to try a Porsche.

Edit: apparently one can get massive discounts on prior year new Carreras. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm bye bye money

Bored with the M, or just don't like it?

Rakekniven
Jun 4, 2000
Forum Veteran

Jealous Cow posted:

If you don't need the back seat, I'd say go with the Cayman. I've autocrossed the M4, and driven a few laps in the 991 and the Cayman, and nothing come close to the joy and the [auto journalist words about immediacy, feeling and thrill of driving go here] you get with the Cayman. Who cares if it's slower, unless you're racing them the Cayman is the most fun.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Dislike button posted:

Bored with the M, or just don't like it?

I can rarely put my foot down without toasting tires. There's something rewarding about using all the available power, and you just can't with the M4 on the street.

I'm also moving someplace with lots and lots of snow and bad roads so I'm considering getting a more focused sports car and a separate daily, or an S5 with a spare winter setup.

Or the comedy option: a Range Rover and an Alfa 4C

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
I'm strongly considering buying a 2007 Cayman S, with just under 40,000 miles on it, for $28,000. My research indicates that this is in the range of good pricing PROVIDED that the car is not secretly in terrible shape with lots of things about to fail.

The dealer (not a porsche dealer) says they performed all of the 4 & 8 year scheduled maintenance except for air filter, spark plugs, and computer diagnostic check. Of the 3, only the unchecked diagnostic is a concern for me because who knows what that thing will say. The dealer will not let me pay to have the car fully and independently inspected, they will only give me an inspection contingency for legal inspection status and safety. They said, well any shop you take it to will say it needs a lot of work. Not sure about that, but that's where they are on it.

I tried to talk them down another $500 to compensate for that risk, and they let me walk out (peacefully) instead of agreeing, so I assume the pricing is now firm. Are there major issues with the 2007 Cayman S lurking from 40-80,000 miles that I should be worried about?

Carfax says 2 accidents, rear and left rear. No info as to severity. Both happened on the third of three drivers. Thanks friends!

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Leopold Stotch posted:

The dealer will not let me pay to have the car fully and independently inspected, they will only give me an inspection contingency for legal inspection status and safety. They said, well any shop you take it to will say it needs a lot of work.

Run away. Run away quickly

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

SlapActionJackson posted:

Yeah, this is a HUGE red flag.

If you're feeling sneaky, take an extended test drive and coincidently drive it to a trusted garage.

But yeah. That sounds like they want to hide something and don't want you figuring it out until after you've signed the paperwork.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Bajaha posted:

If you're feeling sneaky, take an extended test drive and coincidently drive it to a trusted garage.

Do this if you really want that exact car. Otherwise run as far away as you can, there is no good reason a $28k car should not be available for an inspection at the buyer's expense.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
I'd say the 2 accidents are more of a non-starter than (still scary) worries that another party will find issues with the car.

thechalkoutline
Jul 8, 2006

kimbo305 posted:

I'd say the 2 accidents are more of a non-starter than (still scary) worries that another party will find issues with the car.

First thing I thought when reading the story, also you can find a better deal: for ref my '08 Cayman S was 30k but only had 24k miles and 1 PO, clean history.

I would keep looking.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Word, that was fast. Thanks everyone, I'm gonna keep looking.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

SlapActionJackson posted:

Hahahahaha Jesus gently caress run away.

Leopold Stotch posted:

Word, that was fast. Thanks everyone, I'm gonna keep looking.

Holy poo poo, somebody took advice. It's a fuckin' miracle. Good on you.

Leopold Stotch
Jun 30, 2007
Consensus from an impartial group of car enthusiasts is infinitely more credible than Scott at the dealership, imo.

howling_mad
May 11, 2014

Leopold Stotch posted:

Consensus from an impartial group of car enthusiasts is infinitely more credible than Scott at the dealership, imo.

Agreed. I'm glad you took the advice. Just reading your post made me nervous.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
That and goons are notorious for coming back and reporting that they went ahead and bought it because they were really nice and the deal was great and they only charged $1k for the underbody coating and got them a loan for only 11.5% APR and they were really nice and seemed trustworthy and the car was so much fun and seemed fine the check engine like went off after a few minutes and the abs light only flashed when accelerating from a stop I'm sure it's fine.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Ha, only $1k for the undercoating and 11.5%? That's FAR from the worst I've heard of.

And it's a VAG product, CEL is implied.

On that note, the 09 911 Carrera 4s cabrio we had for the wedding flipped out for a few mins and gave warnings for indicator bulbs out and I don't remember what else. Few minutes later it was all fine and dandy. I'm assuming this was just the usual VAG gremlins, or was there actually something wrong with it?

Also aparantly it had a thirst for oil as they were filling it up before we took it out. :v:

I still want one so bad.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Bajaha posted:

Also aparantly it had a thirst for oil as they were filling it up before we took it out. :v:

I still want one so bad.

My 09 C2S drank a lot of oil. Replacement hasn't used a drop in over a year.

FAILURE
Jan 28, 2004

If I am not me, den who da hell am I?

Bajaha posted:

Ha, only $1k for the undercoating and 11.5%? That's FAR from the worst I've heard of.

And it's a VAG product, CEL is implied.

On that note, the 09 911 Carrera 4s cabrio we had for the wedding flipped out for a few mins and gave warnings for indicator bulbs out and I don't remember what else. Few minutes later it was all fine and dandy. I'm assuming this was just the usual VAG gremlins, or was there actually something wrong with it?

I still want one so bad.

I've heard from 997.1 owners that those went through a lot of oil, I didn't think the 997.2s were so thirsty. My 2011's oil level has remained steady for 9 months now.

Definitely some gremlins. I got the occasional 'Transmission Emergency Run' after I first bought it, which I eventually chalked up to a battery that was undercharged. After actually driving the car with regularity, I didn't see that pop up again until last week after a bout of cold weather -- keeping with my battery theory. Swapped the battery this week (which was its own adventure). These cars are very finicky about voltage levels, it seems.

Oh, and the CEL came on, throwing a P0456 EVAP leak which unfortunately does not seem to merely be the gas cap. Still love the car, though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Bajaha posted:

My Audi randomly turns on the windshield wipers on their own for just one swipe every couple of months, and occasionally will sit flashing all its hazard lights after I try to unlock it, which goes away if I hit the unlock button again. If I turn on the car after this happens the power steering warning light will be on for a minute or two. This and other gremlins were really concerning initially but it's been almost 3 years now and I've accepted them as just a part of VAG ownership.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

Got the last 2016 Cayman allocation at my dealer. I've wanted one of these cars since they started making them and now... now I'll have one. Well, in like 5-6 months I will. :henget:

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

various cheeses posted:

Got the last 2016 Cayman allocation at my dealer. I've wanted one of these cars since they started making them and now... now I'll have one. Well, in like 5-6 months I will. :henget:

:toot:

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fknlo, keep an eye on the price of this 996 Turbo:
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2002-porsche-911-turbo/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

kimbo305 posted:

That color scheme just begs to be left in piece in a junk yard. Put it out of its misery.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

That color scheme just begs to be left in piece in a junk yard. Put it out of its misery.

I saw a 997 GTS that was silver on the outside (ok, boring, but whatever) and blood red interior and even red accents on the steering wheel :gonk:
It was only $72k, but it'd have to be lower for me to bite on it.

various cheeses
Jan 24, 2013

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

What did it start at? It's up to $37k now which is still a pretty reasonable price, especially with some of the preventative maintenance stuff done. Unfortunately for me, I'm trying to transfer to Denver which has changed my potential car buying plans. I still really want one but can't justify spending that much money if I'm going to end up moving in the not too distant future :(

Still gonna keep an eye on it...

M_Gargantua posted:

Better than silver with the gray interior.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

fknlo posted:

What did it start at? It's up to $37k now which is still a pretty reasonable price, especially with some of the preventative maintenance stuff done. Unfortunately for me, I'm trying to transfer to Denver which has changed my potential car buying plans. I still really want one but can't justify spending that much money if I'm going to end up moving in the not too distant future :(

I wanna say 30.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Another 996 Turbo finished at 35.5k: http://bringatrailer.com/listing/2001-porsche-911-turbo/

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Salvage title.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Salvage title.

Yeah, I should have qualified. I'm not sure if water damage makes me feel more or less nervous than body damage. Probably more.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

Yeah, I should have qualified. I'm not sure if water damage makes me feel more or less nervous than body damage. Probably more.

Water damage of any kind is really bad. It looks like the dude went through and took care of a lot of things, but I still wouldn't trust it. The likelihood of that car being a complete basket case of electronics issues is very, very high.

e: poo poo, they have a couple of auctions I might have to watch. That Ur Quattro looks like it might be a decent deal...

fknlo fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 12, 2016

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

fknlo posted:

The likelihood of that car being a complete basket case of electronics issues is very, very high.

Well yeah, it's a Porsche :rimshot:

I think I'd be more comfortable with a flood loss if I saw pictures of why it became a flood loss (minor fresh water intrusion into the cabin vs fully submerged in the dead sea) and I think it still might be preferable over a major structural repair.

But a clean title would be much more desirable of course.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

M_Gargantua posted:

kimbo305 posted:

I saw a 997 GTS that was silver on the outside (ok, boring, but whatever) and blood red interior and even red accents on the steering wheel :gonk:
It was only $72k, but it'd have to be lower for me to bite on it.

I know I have problems because I see that red interior and absolutely love how weird it is. The only thing better would be blue or an even weirder green. And I love that Porsche is still kind of doing weird poo poo on the interior like that when most automakers have completely moved away with from it.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Mat_Drinks posted:

I know I have problems because I see that red interior and absolutely love how weird it is. The only thing better would be blue or an even weirder green.

It's not weird! That silver/red combo is how God (Ferry) intended Porsches to be (also mid-engined, but we'll save that for another day). See: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/img/31087/Porsche-356-1-Roadster.html

Also Yachting Blue might seem like a weird color for an interior but it works quite well in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
So it looks like Matt Farah likes the 718 S.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/news/a28799/the-2017-porsche-718-boxster-s-does-everything-right/

and then I listened the six cylinder again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MkpTyMNV8E

edit: Whoops already posted in the New Car thread.