Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Well, getting 11k exp in ranked battles with the 3x is a nice bonus for actually winning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Warspite and Nikolai are up in the premium shop. I'd have already bought the Warspite if I hadn't just backed a kickstarter.

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

^^^ goddamnit ^^^

Boats News

Warspite and Nikolai for sale

"Reddit posted:

Warspite Fully Loaded - Port slot - 7 days premium - 1000 doubloons - 30 flags of 3 types (Zulu, IBT, ESC) $39.99 USD
Warspite - Port slot - 7 days premium $35.99
Nikolai I Fully Loaded - Port slot - 7 days premium - 1000 doubloons - 20 of 3 types of flags $24.99
Nikolai I - Port slot - 3 days premium - 500 doubloons $19.99 USD
On sale for 4 days

Holiday Contest for :frogsiren: Tirpitz and Mikasa :frogsiren: (NA only?)

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/59301-decorating-the-tree-design-a-christmas-ornament-contest/

tl;dr design a christmas ornament and the top 5 get a tirpitz, EVERY entrant eligible to receive a Mikasa.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

TehKeen posted:

^^^ goddamnit ^^^

Boats News

http://forum.worldofwarships.com/index.php?/topic/59301-decorating-the-tree-design-a-christmas-ornament-contest/

tl;dr design a christmas ornament and the top 5 get a tirpitz, EVERY entrant eligible to receive a Mikasa.

You have to physically make the ornament and ship it to them though.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

wdarkk posted:

Haha thats great. I've got nothing better to do this week, I might just try my hand at it. It sounds like an interesting change of pace. RIP NA server people outside of the US, though.

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Im probably too much of a tightwad to buy either one of those ships but the Nikolai looks like it could be awesome at Tier IV. Im guessing it must be short ranged or super slow or have some other fatal flaw.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

wdarkk posted:

Take a piece of cardboard, cut it into the shape of a boat, color it, maybe add some sparkles, place it between two pieces of cardboard (so it doesnt get bent), chuck it in an envelope and you're done. 15 minutes and like $2

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Lakedaimon posted:

Im probably too much of a tightwad to buy either one of those ships but the Nikolai looks like it could be awesome at Tier IV. Im guessing it must be short ranged or super slow or have some other fatal flaw.

It does 21 knots, which is normal for low tier BBs, only beating the Wyoming by .5 knots. It doesn't reload as quickly as a Wyoming, but has the same number of guns (4x3 instead of the Wyoming's 6x2), with the same caliber and damage. The range and dispersion numbers look fairly identical. The turret traverse on the Wyoming is a bit faster than the Nikolai. The Nikolai boasts significantly more secondaries than the Wyoming, at 20 instead of 6 for an upgraded Wyoming, with similar range. However, the Wyoming has actual AA, while the Nikolai has token AA at best. The armoring seems similar, and the Nikolai has 3k more HP.

Its very similar to the Wyoming. The 4x3 turrets may be better for accuracy, if shot grouping matters at all, and may have better turret traverse angles since you're not dealing with the middle turrets like the Wyoming is. It seems interesting, I suppose. Not an overpowered boat, by any means. Nothing crazy like the Murmansk.

Edit: Also, the Mikasa is a pretty neat ship, if you're tempted to try out the ornament event. A T2 boat with 4 guns, but a ton of secondaries. Its a terrifying boat in a close range fight, if you equip it to be. It's a japanese BB, so you can dump your Nagato captain in there for some added secondary range.

Hazdoc fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Nov 26, 2015

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

I'm liking the Nikolai so far. Feels sort of like a slower Fuso (same amount of guns, slower reload) at Tier 4. I just took out half a Wyoming's health pool with one salvo and no citadels, which made me smile.

The range sucks in Tier 6 games and if other players were smart and just stayed out of range it would get dominated. Luckily most players are dumb so you can still do some work on cruisers and stuff.

Low tier matches are fun because its reasonably accurate and puts out a ton of lead, and the maps are so small that the range doesn't make such a big difference.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD
If only these x3 bonuses were forever...

And a bonus, just how much DID capping get buffed?

That much, I guess.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well, I made the mistake of playing while downloading, and my tier 4 random was 2/3 over by the time I loaded in. We still won.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Bit on both ships...so weak. Also I couldn't stand being told I 'missed out' not getting the Warspite.

But playing premiums is actually really fun in this game. Why play normal-tier ships when you can play the gently caress out of premiums, accrue insane amounts of silver, and never have to give a gently caress?

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Hazdoc posted:

If only these x3 bonuses were forever...

And a bonus, just how much DID capping get buffed?

That much, I guess.

Yeah I thought I had a pretty ordinary game in my Ibuki earlier and thought maybe it was worth 5k with the 3x bonus and a confederate signal, but I had 1 cap assist and 17x base defense and it was nearly 10k exp. The biggest downside of the new system is I want every round to be a domination and get disappointed when its not.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Bit on both ships...so weak. Also I couldn't stand being told I 'missed out' not getting the Warspite.

But playing premiums is actually really fun in this game. Why play normal-tier ships when you can play the gently caress out of premiums, accrue insane amounts of silver, and never have to give a gently caress?

What's the deal with premium ships? Other than not having to pay for them with silver and not needing to unlock them with XP, what is the reason for having them?

Debating whether it's worth getting either of the two ships at all.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

PerniciousKnid posted:

Well, I made the mistake of playing while downloading, and my tier 4 random was 2/3 over by the time I loaded in. We still won.

There are so many people per side, and the ships move so slowly, that nothing an individual player does effects the outcome of the game in 90% of battles. I quit because you just can't consistently effect the outcome of each match, even in a group of 3. So you are going to lose 50% of the time and there is nothing you can do about it. Maybe one game per day if you play a lot will you actually feel like you won the match.

Well unless you are playing a tier 10 aircraft carrier, but still you easily get hosed by the matchmaker.

Washout fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Nov 27, 2015

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Cobbsprite posted:

What's the deal with premium ships? Other than not having to pay for them with silver and not needing to unlock them with XP, what is the reason for having them?

Debating whether it's worth getting either of the two ships at all.

They're not as good as ships at their native tier, but they have a massive credit bonus, and the lower-tiered ships you can reliably play while off premium time and still are almost guaranteed a profit.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They're not as good as ships at their native tier, but they have a massive credit bonus, and the lower-tiered ships you can reliably play while off premium time and still are almost guaranteed a profit.

I am 100% guaranteed a profit in Tier-VI games and below, and I am in the black every time so far in my Tier V ship. It's not always a huge profit, but it's something. When does that stop being the case?

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Washout posted:

There are so many people per side, and the ships move so slowly, that nothing an individual player does effects the outcome of the game in 90% of battles. I quit because you just can't consistently effect the outcome of each match, even in a group of 3. So you are going to lose 50% of the time and there is nothing you can do about it. Maybe one game per day if you play a lot will you actually feel like you won the match.

Well unless you are playing a tier 10 aircraft carrier, but still you easily get hosed by the matchmaker.

This is definitely not the case. I can affect the game plenty, managed to get a 65% win rate solo after 1000 games, and even managed a 30 game win streak this month. This is even more the case for divisions, although I only recently started doing those consistently.

Forget doing a cardboard ornament. I'm breaking out the Sculpty and acrylics and going for top 5.

Non-premium and still make a profit in tier 8. You need to be doing 50%+ more damage in a ship than whatever the server average is for a particular ship and maintain a high survival rate. I think tier 9 and 10 is where it really starts getting tough.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Victor Surge posted:

This is definitely not the case. I can affect the game plenty, managed to get a 65% win rate solo after 1000 games, and even managed a 30 game win streak this month. This is even more the case for divisions, although I only recently started doing those consistently.

Forget doing a cardboard ornament. I'm breaking out the Sculpty and acrylics and going for top 5.

Non-premium and still make a profit in tier 8. You need to be doing 50%+ more damage in a ship than whatever the server average is for a particular ship and maintain a high survival rate. I think tier 9 and 10 is where it really starts getting tough.

oh boy you managed to get it up to 65%.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Seriously debating the Warspite package despite not spending any money on this game.

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Pre-Konigsberg Murmansk was best tier5 cruiser. Arguably it still is.

Lady Morgaga fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 27, 2015

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

If Thomson hadn't disabled the louts' aeroplanes with well tossed wrenches, I dare say those uncouth vandals would have made off with your victuals and garments.

Washout posted:

A true struggle....

No, it's a lie. Dunking people in a Murmansk is so easy.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Victor Surge posted:

A true struggle....

No, it's a lie. Dunking people in a Murmansk is so easy.

Some ships are better at carrying than others.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Washout posted:

Yeah, god forbid a team based game not allow you to attain your vaunted 100% winrate. You're clearly better than everyone else who plays this game, and its the games fault you can't show that. :rolleyes:
I have a 65% winrate in Ranked, and there aren't many games where I feel that I'm not contributing. You just need to involve yourself more and not play passively. Sometimes the games will be stomps, sometimes your team fails you, but your effort is what makes the edge case games come out in your favor. I have 2 uploaded videos where my efforts pulled our team out of a losing scenario and grabbed victory, it happens more often than you'd think. Just not always. Having games where your loss isn't always your fault is just a symptom of team-based games, you have to roll with the punches and identify when you've done well, and when you've done poorly.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

Hazdoc posted:

Yeah, god forbid a team based game not allow you to attain your vaunted 100% winrate. You're clearly better than everyone else who plays this game, and its the games fault you can't show that. :rolleyes:
I have a 65% winrate in Ranked, and there aren't many games where I feel that I'm not contributing. You just need to involve yourself more and not play passively. Sometimes the games will be stomps, sometimes your team fails you, but your effort is what makes the edge case games come out in your favor. I have 2 uploaded videos where my efforts pulled our team out of a losing scenario and grabbed victory, it happens more often than you'd think. Just not always. Having games where your loss isn't always your fault is just a symptom of team-based games, you have to roll with the punches and identify when you've done well, and when you've done poorly.

I think maybe washout was making fun of "managed"?

If I die early I usually own up to playing poorly in chat.

I had a ranked game in my Mogami where we headed to B in ocean and a fubuki popped up, I ate 3 torps, twitch launched a torp salvo before the third hit, died, and sunk our own Benson. It was the worst, and it happened in the first 90 seconds I think.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Victor Surge posted:

I had a ranked game in my Mogami where we headed to B in ocean and a fubuki popped up, I ate 3 torps, twitch launched a torp salvo before the third hit, died, and sunk our own Benson. It was the worst, and it happened in the first 90 seconds I think.
If you can certainly cause your team to lose, you can certainly cause your team to win.
But seriously, eating torps and then TKing? That's something special. :getin:

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I was weak, and picked up the Warspite as soon as I saw it was available. It is a hell of a lot of fun, and is durable as gently caress. It also doesn't feel very sluggish for a BB, its guns are pretty accurate, and I took an entire torpedo spread broadside and only lost half of my health.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Lady Morgaga posted:

Pre-Konigsberg Murmansk was best tier5 cruiser. Arguably it still is.

Rodina Stronk and always will be, tovarisch.

Victor Surge
Feb 2, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Rodina Stronk and always will be, tovarisch.

There's a guy on the RU server that has over 300 Murmansk games with a 90% win rate and 71,000 average damage. Most of the games are three man divisions and I can't help but imagine it's a three person Murmansk division. That still doesn't diminish 71,000 average damage though and it beats the pants off of Mejash and I for Murmansk stats based on the number of games on NA.

Edit: Actually it was 73,000 dmg and they have an 84.4% overall win rate in 1,891 games while playing nearly exclusively in 3-man divisions. Lessons here are that the RU server is hardcore and divisions of three can be really good.

Victor Surge fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Nov 27, 2015

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Why am I even considering getting the warspite, why? It costs as much as some games. I'm not even that patriotic :britain: I'm troubled and confused.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Tirranek posted:

Why am I even considering getting the warspite, why? It costs as much as some games. I'm not even that patriotic :britain: I'm troubled and confused.

For the same reason I probably am. I'm a dumb naval history nerd who enjoys playing this game but doesn't feel like grinding a bunch to get a cooler ship.

Also this seems much fairer priced than the Tirpitz was.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

For the same reason I probably am. I'm a dumb naval history nerd who enjoys playing this game but doesn't feel like grinding a bunch to get a cooler ship.

Also this seems much fairer priced than the Tirpitz was.

I'm seriously considering it just to have the ability to retrain UK captains with it.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Where would I even get it? The premium shop (on a tablet anyway) doesn't have it listed

EDIT: Ohhh, NA only?

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

Victor Surge posted:

There's a guy on the RU server that has over 300 Murmansk games with a 90% win rate and 71,000 average damage. Most of the games are three man divisions and I can't help but imagine it's a three person Murmansk division. That still doesn't diminish 71,000 average damage though and it beats the pants off of Mejash and I for Murmansk stats based on the number of games on NA.

Edit: Actually it was 73,000 dmg and they have an 84.4% overall win rate in 1,891 games while playing nearly exclusively in 3-man divisions. Lessons here are that the RU server is hardcore and divisions of three can be really good.

In order to do that you have to spend cash, you only ever play the top tier ships in any class and always play in a 3 man division. But if you are grinding and not spending gold on free xp all the time which equates to like $200 per line to tier 10 then no way in hell can you manage that winrate. So whenever you see someone with that kind of winrate it's literally pay to win.

for the record I have a 60 something winrate too, but I just can't stand playing with total shitheads and of those 40% losses they are almost all because of stupid poo poo like your carrier driving down the middle of the map and suiciding or whatever else the stupid pubbies are doing to make you lose and it's infuriating watching a bunch of shitheads make me lose 4 in 10 games, or even more when grinding some lovely ship so you can finally get to tier 8.

If they had 5 man divisions or ranked players by skill or something the matchmaker would be a lot more fun, because at least I could feel like the reason I lost was because of my own skill instead of idiot pubbies in tier 10 battleships not knowing how to shoot. Hell even if they would actually let your division spawn together instead of purposefully splitting you across the map.

Washout fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 27, 2015

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Washout posted:

Hell even if they would actually let your division spawn together instead of purposefully splitting you across the map.
I've got good news for you...

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Is there still an in-game chat channel for goons without microphones? None of the ones I'm familiar with from days of old appear populated.

Kenby
Apr 26, 2012

TehKeen posted:

^^^ goddamnit ^^^

Boats News

WG NA's resistance to taking our cash has now reached the point where we're bartering physical goods for premiums. :shepspends:

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

I did it. I broke down and got a loaded Warspite package.

I'm sorry, I'm so weak.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Yeah, I would if I could :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

Just bought the Kiev and the Nagato. I agonized for a long time whether to go with the Nagato or the Colorado. First game in the Nagato was 130k dmg and high caliber, which made me feel like I made the right choice. I probably could afford to buy the Colorado too, but im trying to keep a silver hoard on hand for the Zao.