Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

7 levels and 6 of them are negative/helpless. And the one positive is just "maintaining."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!
I like how mental illness now has "allies" as if it's an oppressed sexual orientation

Alex433999
Aug 16, 2014
Why do people want to suffer from mental illness? This is a serious question i cant believe i have to ask.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Because people think being "damaged" makes them interesting

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

The great thing is that you can combine colours to indicate how much you're being triggered at any particular instant.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

goose fleet posted:

I like how mental illness now has "allies" as if it's an oppressed sexual orientation

I know of a graduate thesis project that is arguing that the whole discourse of depression is just ~capitalism~ making people feel bad for not being "productive."

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

goose fleet posted:

Well, when you don't actually have a personality, you gotta make up for it with bullshit like this.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Breetai posted:

Being short is like balding: 90% of the time the people who complain about it are getting poo poo on because of the massive chip on their shoulder rather than the condition itself.

As someone who's been going grey since like fifteen and started going bald recently, sometimes it's hard not to get a chip on your shoulder about it when every other person you meet feels the need to go "Hey, did you know you've got a few grey hairs?" "Looks like you're losing your hair hur hur hur" every few conversations. :argh: Then again I'm more annoyed by the repetition than anything, if someone came up to me every day "That's a blue shirt you're wearing!" I'd probably start getting cranky at that, too.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nuebot posted:

As someone who's been going grey since like fifteen and started going bald recently, sometimes it's hard not to get a chip on your shoulder about it when every other person you meet feels the need to go "Hey, did you know you've got a few grey hairs?" "Looks like you're losing your hair hur hur hur" every few conversations. :argh: Then again I'm more annoyed by the repetition than anything, if someone came up to me every day "That's a blue shirt you're wearing!" I'd probably start getting cranky at that, too.

ok baldie

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Nuebot posted:

Hey, I didn't know Colin Mochrie was a goon

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I thought the whole "manlet" and "discrimination against short guys" thing was just a thing 4chan made up to make themselves feel better about mocking fat girls. Like, the tweets and stuff I've seen talking about how disgusting short guys are have pretty clearly been trolls, but they proceed to use it as evidence that they're actually the ones being looked down on.

Then again, maybe I'm just blissfully unaware of the horrible discrimination my fellow short guys face in America.

When I did the whole internet dating thing many years ago, a lot of my chats literally started with the girl asking how tall I was and saying "no thanks" after I told them I was 5'8". Though that probably says more about internet dating than it does about anything else. But if nerds aren't interacting with women outside of internet dating, then uh....

Karma Monkey
Sep 6, 2005

I MAKE BAD POSTING DECISIONS

Wanamingo posted:

Hey, I didn't know Colin Mochrie was a goon

This would not surprise me in the least.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

goose fleet posted:

Because people think being "damaged" makes them interesting

Because if you're actually sick, it's not your fault you can't make friends.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

BJPaskoff posted:

But if nerds aren't interacting with women outside of internet dating, then uh....

Would this surprise you?

I know a woman who has given up on men because she can't find anything but idiots and assholes on internet dating... She hasn't once tried to go out and meet anyone.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

darkwasthenight posted:

Some poo poo on IFLS was floating round FB the other day and I cannot be persuaded it's not a parody. Having known some physicists irl they're not a breed known for their personal skills and this is the worst idea ever.

gently caress

ing

hell

This sounds like a summary of few episodes of 3rd Rock From The Sun.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

I see many people saying "turkey day"
No.
It's Thanksgiving. Be thankful for poo poo not just the turkey

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

THE WAR ON THANKSGIVING.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
What if we soaked our bullets in turkey gravy. That'd show the Turkey Day terrorists.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Hey Lottery of Babylon you should post unannounced and unexplained in the NYC LAN thread and confuse the gently caress out of everyone

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

RFC2324 posted:

Would this surprise you?

I know a woman who has given up on men because she can't find anything but idiots and assholes on internet dating... She hasn't once tried to go out and meet anyone.

My friend used to be quite the charmer. Then he got into online dating and I think it has broken him. He now has issues with meeting girls in the actual physical world, which he never used to, and he has an even harder time in actually finding girls that he is interested in. At this point I think the whole online dating thing is more of an addiction for him than anything else.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No.

This bothers me too. I guess this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but turkey day is just kinda gross to me, probably because I'm a recently-returning vegetarian. We're at the point where even Halloween is being crushed by Christmas, and Thanksgiving or "turkey day" is just the official point of permission to the assholes who've been talking about Christmas since August to feel justified.* Putting the whole thing on a dead bird kind of kills the spirit of the holiday.

*I really don't hate Christmas, I think it's a very nice time of year and I love seeing trees and buildings all lit up. But the more and earlier people talk about it, the more over it I am.

Also, I really can't be the only one who loves to get down with a shorty, right? I'm 5'6" and 5'8" is a perfect height for me. 6'0" and I start to feel a little dwarfed. Don't want those shorties? Send 'em to me. I'm definitely not alone--I know several men who are even shorter than me dating lovely tall girls because they are handsome, kind, and fun to be around. Basically, if you're cool and don't get all hissy over a girl wearing heels or being taller than you (I've known guys who do this), it won't matter how tall you are to most people.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Lottery of Babylon posted:

No.

I'm thankful for retarded land fowl though.

Maggie Fletcher
Jul 19, 2009
Getting brunch is more important to me than other peoples lives.

Nuebot posted:

Ahhhh you just made me realize I agree with LoB on something.

I'll see myself out. :hangs head:

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Maggie Fletcher posted:

This bothers me too. I guess this belongs in the pet peeve thread, but turkey day is just kinda gross to me, probably because I'm a recently-returning vegetarian. We're at the point where even Halloween is being crushed by Christmas, and Thanksgiving or "turkey day" is just the official point of permission to the assholes who've been talking about Christmas since August to feel justified.* Putting the whole thing on a dead bird kind of kills the spirit of the holiday.

The source of all your problems :colbert:

See, I agree with a lot of those. For example, #10(Fear) is basically American politics in a nutshell.
However, we suddenly cross into #8 with eyes on walls and I would definitely worry if I saw a room filled with pictures of eyes. Unless they meant pictures WITH eyes, like some image of an angel

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

The source of all your problems :colbert:

See, I agree with a lot of those. For example, #10(Fear) is basically American politics in a nutshell.
However, we suddenly cross into #8 with eyes on walls and I would definitely worry if I saw a room filled with pictures of eyes. Unless they meant pictures WITH eyes, like some image of an angel

Well, they're all based on stuff published in psych journals, so it's not TOTAL bullshit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Postal Parcel posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean literal images of eyes, but you know how people tend to naturally see faces in things like cars? It's pretty easy to get a design or objects that looks like an eye and use it to mess with people.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Nuebot posted:

What do chickens have to do with anything?

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Nuebot posted:

It doesn't necessarily mean literal images of eyes, but you know how people tend to naturally see faces in things like cars? It's pretty easy to get a design or objects that looks like an eye and use it to mess with people.

That I can understand, but when your lede is "Show Eyes" it's kind of insane.
Also, angels is a bad example choice. I imagine a stern portrait, similar to the one in ghostbusters, would have the "eyes" and encourage that "ethical behavior" that comes with the presence of authority.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
"Each item is 300 pennies. The math is probably too hard for you but just trust me, you're getting a good deal.

Birb Katter
Sep 18, 2010

BOATS STOPPED
CARBON TAX AXED
TURNBULL AS PM
LIBERALS WILL BE RE-ELECTED IN A LANDSLIDE

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Puppy Time posted:

Well, they're all based on stuff published in psych journals, so it's not TOTAL bullshit.

Yeah, but they're presented as lifehacks that you can totally use in your day to day life. I'd say they ones that are total bullshit are marginally better since with ones like these, the people who buy into them can just go "These are proven facts, are you saying the scientists are wrong? :smug:"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

CommonShore posted:

I know of a graduate thesis project that is arguing that the whole discourse of depression is just ~capitalism~ making people feel bad for not being "productive."

This person has never actually interacted with someone with clinical depression, have they? At my low point I once went an entire weekend without eating, and during that period I only got out of bed I think twice to go to the bathroom and spent multiple hours long stretches doing nothing but staring at the wall. During episodes, you don't feel "bad", you essentially temporarily lack any capacity to feel emotions at all. Like, that is such a facile understanding of depression I don't know how they didn't just get laughed out of their graduate advisor's office.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

I hope all the comments were this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnGnj_e6gBw

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I have actually known a lot of women who, when talking about dudes with me (because as Gay Best Friend talking about boys is requisite), have been weirdly adamant about needing to date a guy taller than them. I don't get it personally, I've dated guys from 5'7" to 6'5" and just do not really give a gently caress whether he's taller than me or not, so it might be a gender thing?

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Postal Parcel posted:

That I can understand, but when your lede is "Show Eyes" it's kind of insane.
Also, angels is a bad example choice. I imagine a stern portrait, similar to the one in ghostbusters, would have the "eyes" and encourage that "ethical behavior" that comes with the presence of authority.

I recall seeing (at least the abstract of) the eye thing, and apparently it literally is "if people see eyes, even just graphic depictions of them, they act better."

The human mind is weird as poo poo sometimes.

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I have actually known a lot of women who, when talking about dudes with me (because as Gay Best Friend talking about boys is requisite), have been weirdly adamant about needing to date a guy taller than them. I don't get it personally, I've dated guys from 5'7" to 6'5" and just do not really give a gently caress whether he's taller than me or not, so it might be a gender thing?

I think the answer is "heels"
The stereotype explanation I've heard, whether true or not, is that she still wants to be feminine(i.e. not look like big bird) while wearing heels, so that requires the guy to be at least a certain amount taller than she.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

As a girl I think it's just a dumb social thing. Girls are"supposed" to be shorter because of heels or some dumb poo poo. I'm 5'7 or '8ish and my husband is 5'9. Heels do not loving matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Postal Parcel posted:

I think the answer is "heels"
The stereotype explanation I've heard, whether true or not, is that she still wants to be feminine(i.e. not look like big bird) while wearing heels, so that requires the guy to be at least a certain amount taller than she.

I worked with a lady who was an inch taller than her boyfriend, and she refused to wear heels around him since women are supposed to be shorter. A grown woman decided to stop wearing a fashion item she loved because of gender roles.