Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Even if Ma-Ma can be considered insane, what drove her mad?

Why isn't Dredd fighting the systems that turn people into 'mad' killers?

Funny how the person who's saying 'Superman isn't political' will happily express totally apolitical ideas like 'why don't people just buck up and become a janitor?'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

ImpAtom posted:

Recall that surrendering puts you into an 'iso-cube.' They are cut off from the world and forced to iive in terrifying isolation until their inevitable death (except in the rare cases they get out but you only have to listen to the sentencing requirements to know how bullshit that is.) It's the same impact as the drugs have on someone that MaMa kills only more sanitized. That is part of why Dredd killing her is done with the drug.
Well, she brought it on herself by being a murderer.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Spoken like a true Superman.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Bifford posted:

Well, she brought it on herself by being a murderer.

Dredd is a murderer.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

CelticPredator posted:

One of Dredd's themes is violence perpetuating violence. A cycle that never ends.
Well, Ma-Ma's cycle of violence ended with her death at Dredd's hands.

CelticPredator posted:

Ma-Ma was brought up in a violent world, and the only way she could survive was by being violent.
I can believe that early in her life she might have had to kill in order to survive. But I think that at some point between being a street hooker and becoming a big drug lord, her killing crossed a line from self-defense to self-serving.

CelticPredator posted:

Dredd doesn't want to help her once he has her in custody. He just chucks her out a window so she can splatter on the ground floor of her empire.
Dredd helped Mega-City One by ridding it of Ma-ma's pernicious presence.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Okay, now I see why you got the mod challenge.

Skizzzer
Sep 27, 2011
I fail to see, Baron, what your point is re: Ma-Ma. Are you disputing that social systems are shackles? That violence doesn't beget violence? That humans are born innocent? If you clarified that might be helpful. Sorry if this seems like you're being piled on but I am genuinely curious.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Baron Bifford posted:

Why should he? She's pretty much gone.

An agent of the State has a person in custody and is in control. Why shouldn't they just chuck them of the side of a building?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
She committed capital offenses and was sentenced to death, and the execution was carried out immediately as is Mega-City One custom. The Slo-Mo was a bit much, I admit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Spoiler: Mega City 1 has bad and uncool customs.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
My memory is s bit vague but I recall Baron getting real confused in the Amazing Spider-Man thread from however many years ago about why Flash Thompson didn't pull a knife on Spider-Man or whatever after getting clowned on the basketball court, since he was a bully and that's what a bully would do in response to humiliation. Holding a sympathetic perspective on the potential for rehabilitation in criminal types isn't really homeboy's strong suit

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Baron Bifford posted:

She committed capital offenses and was sentenced to death, and the execution was carried out immediately as is Mega-City One custom. The Slo-Mo was a bit much, I admit.

You are not intended to think Mega City 1 is a good or right thing.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
You know, this conversation reminds me of an old Superman comic...

Jenny Angel posted:

My memory is s bit vague but I recall Baron getting real confused in the Amazing Spider-Man thread from however many years ago about why Flash Thompson didn't pull a knife on Spider-Man or whatever after getting clowned on the basketball court, since he was a bully and that's what a bully would do in response to humiliation. Holding a sympathetic perspective on the potential for rehabilitation in criminal types isn't really homeboy's strong suit
Hahahahahaha

I'm having a ball here. I thought you guys were fed up with me, but now you're dredging up all these old threads.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Nov 26, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

A captured criminal points out that the problem is systemic.

Bifford's response: "I guess some people are okay to kill."

Wait, you're having a ball?

You literally enjoy being wrong?

Weird how I haven't given up on you instead of resigning you to your fate. I guess one of us actually understands Superman.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Baron stop

Just stop

For the love of Christ

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Goons just don't know how to let go.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Ok I'll stop.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Hbomberguy, I really appreciate what you're trying to do, but I feel like it isn't for the best, or even appreciated by those who should.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baron Bifford posted:

helluva defense mechanism.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Baron Bifford posted:

People on the Internet remember you. Success! Even if they remember you as a moron!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
To be fair, I'm surprised BB managed to restrain himself from complaining about the lack of tactical realism in these movies, so I guess that's progress?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

Baron Bifford posted:

Nice essay, but am I the only one here who references filmmaker interviews and production diaries to understand what the filmmakers really intended to say?
I think it's very important to be cognizant of any source, context, and substance behind your analysis. By which I mean, we shouldn't say "the filmmakers obviously intended this" when the filmmakers obviously didn't, and we can't simply claim that literally anything in the film can mean literally anything at all without dialectic basis. Analysis can be bad. We've all read some doozies. Subtext is not an excuse to be imprecise with your analysis...if anything, it demands more precision. By all means, be informed of the film-making process; knowledge of all kinds is a good thing. I have problems with any analysis that eschews context; that's how I ended up in this conversation in the first place.

All the same, "what someone intends isn't necessarily what they end up doing" is so basic a concept it's barely worth mentioning. A storyteller is influenced and conditioned by all sorts of outside forces, and a story is even bigger than its teller. Haven't you ever experienced a story differently than its teller did? That trick-rear end Rowling can try to as much as she wants to convince me that Snape is courageous, but it's still not gonna be true.

Moreover, examining films outside of the vacuum-like confines of a filmmaker's intent can reinforce various themes and subtexts that you've already noticed. It's no coincidence that all of the Sandler essays so far have remarked on themes of social status and behavior codes. Sandler's films are thick with social commentary, on his projected self-image of a middle-class man struggling against institutional challenges; there are many other filmmakers I could name that could hardly stand to give a poop about that, but Sandler clearly does, wittingly or not, and that's not something you'll find in any interviews or production diaries.

Not all subtext is positive, either. There are a lot of lovely subtexts in a lot of films that send problematic messages you wouldn't think to find if you took them at face value.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

I am not singling you out. I want everyone to contribute their favourite symbol from the film.

Also, thinking democracy is cool is neither apolitical nor politically neutral. Democracy is not the neutral state of society. It isn't even the neutral state of America. America is technically a republic, unless I'm missing something here.

I loving love Dredd's opening. I love how it's the standard action movie opening, some low level goons doing some stuff, and Dredd kills them. But it's Dredd that creates the situation. His very presence escalates and exacerbates the issue. Instead of him buying some beer and having to foil a robbery, they were driving while high, and then Dredd show's up. It's a simple reversal of how the scene usually plays. To cap it off, he's brought in by the chief, who, instead of yelling "you wrecked half the city, you goddamn loose cannon" she just gives him another assignment.

The 80s action heroes played by Stallone, Arnie, Bosworth and so on have become the norm. It's bloody brilliant.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

She had her chance... to surrender.

As did Dredd. Almost like there's some kind of deliberate parallel made between the characters.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Is it still plagiarism if Bifford didn't cite any of their sources?

vv That is secretly what I'm getting at, shh

Pirate Jet fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Nov 27, 2015

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

Isn't it essentially plagiarism to write only in terms of what someone else wrote or said about their own films, and make no original contributions?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Oh gently caress you.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
This is both the best and most frustrating mod challenge I've ever read

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Skizzzer posted:

That violence doesn't beget violence?
Every gangster that Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended.

Hbomberguy posted:

Why isn't Dredd fighting the systems that turn people into 'mad' killers?
Oh, you mean their sicko brains? He puts bullets through them.

Baron Bifford fucked around with this message at 10:29 on Nov 27, 2015

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Baron Bifford posted:

you literally do not understand the words you are saying, holy poo poo

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

And how many more cycles do you think get started daily in Mega City 1? And how many get started due to Dredd's direct influence?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

And how many more cycles do you think get started daily in Mega City 1? And how many get started due to Dredd's direct influence?
I don't know. The movie doesn't explore that.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

I don't know. The movie doesn't explore that.

Do you think the baby Dredd and Anderson orphaned will grow up to be a healthy and productive member of society? Or will it amount to just another cycle of violence ended?

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Grendels Dad posted:

Do you think the baby Dredd and Anderson orphaned will grow up to be a healthy and productive member of society?
Probably not. But it's not Dredd's fault that daddy tried to be a Judge-killer.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
This is amazing commitment to a gimmick.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Snowman_McK posted:

I loving love Dredd's opening. I love how it's the standard action movie opening, some low level goons doing some stuff, and Dredd kills them. But it's Dredd that creates the situation. His very presence escalates and exacerbates the issue. Instead of him buying some beer and having to foil a robbery, they were driving while high, and then Dredd show's up. It's a simple reversal of how the scene usually plays. To cap it off, he's brought in by the chief, who, instead of yelling "you wrecked half the city, you goddamn loose cannon" she just gives him another assignment.

The 80s action heroes played by Stallone, Arnie, Bosworth and so on have become the norm. It's bloody brilliant.
They drove under the influence of drugs, then they did not pull over when they saw Dredd approaching. They then plowed recklessly through traffic, killing civilians.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Baron Bifford posted:

Probably not. But it's not Dredd's fault that daddy tried to be a Judge-killer.

Daddy tried to be a Judge-killer because Mama would have flayed him and his family if he refused.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Still not Dredd's fault, then.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Baron Bifford posted:

They drove under the influence of drugs, then they did not pull over when they saw Dredd approaching. They then plowed recklessly through traffic, killing civilians.

Whoosh.

I hate to do such a low content post, but it feels more and more like you're either not trying to get it, or trying not to get it.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Looper posted:

This is both the best and most frustrating mod challenge I've ever read

• Locked thread