Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

naem posted:

I'm trying to think what this guy's goal was here

All I'm coming up with is a dopey voice saying MMM CRANBERRY and falling in like a two year old

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Phlegmish posted:

how does this make sense, the reason they don't move out is that real estate is too expensive you idiots

article encourages a group with a trillion dollars of student loan debt and the lowest wages in nearly 3 decades and the worst job prospects except for maybe people in their sixties to buy houses. 'loving millenials ruining the housing market'

millenials then buy houses they can't afford because of a trillion dollars of student loan debt and the lowest wages in nearly 3 decades and the worst job prospects except for people in their sixties. the housing market then crashes again when millenials can't pay a mortgage and student loan debt with their lovely wages. article comes out 'loving millenials ruining the housing market'

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Volunteering for massive student loan debt: It isn't their fault! They were tricked!

Underwater on the house after signing for a mortgage with crazy terms: It isn't their fault! They were tricked!

Getting a degree in a thing that is actually bad for getting a job when it turns out it makes you overqualified for the jobs that are available: It wasn't their fault! They were tricked!

It's a good thing there aren't any actual consequences for being stupid and making bad decisions, people might actually learn something.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

GORDON posted:

Volunteering for massive student loan debt: It isn't their fault! They were tricked!

Underwater on the house after signing for a mortgage with crazy terms: It isn't their fault! They were tricked!

Getting a degree in a thing that is actually bad for getting a job when it turns out it makes you overqualified for the jobs that are available: It wasn't their fault! They were tricked!

It's a good thing there aren't any actual consequences for being stupid and making bad decisions, people might actually learn something.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Hindsight is a beautiful thing, isn't it?

A lot of people who think they are intelligent are actually stupid. It's the nature of stupidity, sometimes.

naem
May 29, 2011

GORDON posted:

The older generation have NO responsibility for teaching the young generation how to be people, they're just supposed to figure it all out themselves

naem fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 26, 2015

naem
May 29, 2011

Go to college, it's good

Follow your dreams, follow your heart, like I did, I will lead to a career

Buy a house, from me, they're good, I'm an old, you can trust me

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
lol at millenials that can't figure out how to marry a sugardaddy/momma

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

Dapper Dan posted:

article encourages a group with a trillion dollars of student loan debt and the lowest wages in nearly 3 decades and the worst job prospects except for maybe people in their sixties to buy houses. 'loving millenials ruining the housing market'

millenials then buy houses they can't afford because of a trillion dollars of student loan debt and the lowest wages in nearly 3 decades and the worst job prospects except for people in their sixties. the housing market then crashes again when millenials can't pay a mortgage and student loan debt with their lovely wages. article comes out 'loving millenials ruining the housing market'

If the housing market crashes again it will be solely on the government this time. PMI is held to specific risk to capital and reserve/loss ratios while the FHA/VA is not. Since most first time home buyers are not dropping > 20% on a down payment the lender will require MI, however, the FHA still insures around 4 out of every 5 mortgage loans that require MI. The rest go to PMI.

Since first time home buyers are generally the payer of MI, and with strict capital and risk requirements now, the MI companies aren't insuring a lot of poo poo anymore. In addition, a lender is not going to apply for LPMI on a mortgage for a first time home buyer with an LTV of 97%. But can you guess who is ok insuring that loan? That's right - the FHA.

So like I said, if the housing market crashes it will be on the government for stamping "yes" to anything that is fed into the FHA.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Look at this smug loving Millennial cat.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
heh, still lives at home too

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

HEY NONG MAN posted:

heh, still lives at home too

Got his own twitter account even.

burgundyjoystick
Nov 26, 2015

Wheres the smart phone

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

GORDON posted:

the problem with the job thing is that most colleges have very very bad career services who can't differentiate between majors or provide any valuable advice besides pointless emails. or their people are constantly getting rotated out. the school i am going to has the best career services i've ever seen and are committed to getting their graduates jobs. not all places are like that and a lot of professors have been in academia so long they don't know anything else. also the gender studies department is not going to say 'yeah, the only jobs you'll be able to get are in a non-profit maybe or in academia which you need even more expensive degrees for'. but yeah, you have to do your research. otherwise you will end up getting hosed.

at the same time, you also can't expect 17 or 18 year olds to make sound financial decisions with implications of possibly a lifetime of debt. they need good guidance and lol if you think high school guidance counselors in the lovely public education system are good enough. parents need to share some of the blame, as they want their kids to go to expensive private schools to show off with no care about the debt their kids take on.

I hate yankees posted:

If the housing market crashes again it will be solely on the government this time. PMI is held to specific risk to capital and reserve/loss ratios while the FHA/VA is not. Since most first time home buyers are not dropping > 20% on a down payment the lender will require MI, however, the FHA still insures around 4 out of every 5 mortgage loans that require MI. The rest go to PMI.

Since first time home buyers are generally the payer of MI, and with strict capital and risk requirements now, the MI companies aren't insuring a lot of poo poo anymore. In addition, a lender is not going to apply for LPMI on a mortgage for a first time home buyer with an LTV of 97%. But can you guess who is ok insuring that loan? That's right - the FHA.

So like I said, if the housing market crashes it will be on the government for stamping "yes" to anything that is fed into the FHA.

ah, i didn't know that. so it isn't possible then. but still, its an idiotic article since kids out of college can't afford a house or get good jobs right away. this isn't the 1950s anymore.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...0b1f_story.html

" It would be easy to call protesting college students crybabies and brats for pitching hissy fits over hurt feelings, but this likely would lead to such torrents of tearful tribulation that the nation’s university system would have to shut down for a prolonged period of grief counseling.

Besides, it would be insensitive. "

it's cool how young black people can't do anything to instigate action from limp dick white school heads about pervasive racism on campus without being either violent thug monkeys or trophies for everyone fag pussies

real cool

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

oh come on. they need jobs first.

dear boomers: you're ruining the job market. retire.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

mr. mephistopheles posted:

it's cool how young black people can't do anything to instigate action from limp dick white school heads about pervasive racism on campus without being either violent thug monkeys or trophies for everyone fag pussies

real cool

That is such an obvious and tactless troll bait I can't believed you bothered to read it and respond to the troll who will never even see your post.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/for-nice-guys-who-dont-get-it/

Thanks feminist faerie, now I know how to avoid committing microaggressions.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I hate yankees posted:

Isn't part of the problem that banks refuse to take the hit for the housing crisis? The way I understand it is that they refuse to sell all the McMansions and flipped houses they have on their books at a loss, because that would eat into their corporate profits. BOA specifically was lobbying Congress to get the FDIC to cover their losses years ago.

Last I read about it, there could be plenty of affordable housing but banks refuse to let the 'market correction' come out of their pockets.

City of Tampa
May 6, 2007

by zen death robot

red19fire posted:

Isn't part of the problem that banks refuse to take the hit for the housing crisis? The way I understand it is that they refuse to sell all the McMansions and flipped houses they have on their books at a loss, because that would eat into their corporate profits. BOA specifically was lobbying Congress to get the FDIC to cover their losses years ago.

Last I read about it, there could be plenty of affordable housing but banks refuse to let the 'market correction' come out of their pockets.

I know that this poo poo is definitely happening around here, my mom's normal suburban subdivision is like half empty foreclosed houses that have been vacant for years and are falling apart because the banks that own them still want 2006 prices for them

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

City of Tampa posted:

I know that this poo poo is definitely happening around here, my mom's normal suburban subdivision is like half empty foreclosed houses that have been vacant for years and are falling apart because the banks that own them still want 2006 prices for them

They should be homeless shelters.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

TheMostFrench posted:

http://everydayfeminism.com/2015/08/for-nice-guys-who-dont-get-it/

Thanks feminist faerie, now I know how to avoid committing microaggressions.

Can I still open doors for old ladies who are carrying things, or am I supposed to let them do it themselves

I'm confused

naem
May 29, 2011

City of Tampa posted:

I know of several half abandoned subdivisions where only a couple of houses were built, with blank lots or empty foundations along a nice paved drive with a circle turn around, with one hillbilly family living it up in their house they kept through the recession using the whole thing as their driveway full of atv's

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

EugeneJ posted:

Can I still open doors for old ladies who are carrying things, or am I supposed to let them do it themselves

I'm confused

If you're not trying to gently caress the old ladies you're good bro

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

bacon flaps posted:

If you're not trying to gently caress the old ladies you're good bro

GILFS need love too rear end in a top hat

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

VendaGoat posted:

GILFS need love too rear end in a top hat

Yeah but they don't need microaggressions disguised as chivalrous behavior jesus didn't the feminism faerie teach you anything

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS

LegoPirateNinja posted:

oh come on. they need jobs first.

dear boomers: you're ruining the job market. retire.

Boomers thought they'd be able to retire at 65. Then the age for full benefits was raised to 67. Soon it will be 70.
By the time you're ready to retire it could be 75 or the system could be completely bankrupt.

naem
May 29, 2011

ghlbtsk posted:

Boomers thought they'd be able to retire at 65. Then the age for full benefits was raised to 67. Soon it will be 70.
By the time you're ready to retire it could be 75 or the system could be completely bankrupt.

If this happens there will be decrepit skeleton people dying in the streets and no jobs for anyone under 50

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

red19fire posted:

Yes, to a degree. The "market correction" should have been the banks being deemed "too big to fail", and split.

BOA lobbied congress though specifically because of Countrywide, in my opinion. Countrywide was a large player in the crash. They were rampant with fraud and did not require basic checks, such as a separate field review to supplement an appraisal. They did not spread business across many appraisers, so the loan officers were able to collude with them. Then, in addition to that, you had the robosigning. They artificially raised home values, said a person needed more money on a loan, gave out the loan, the market crashes, the homeowner realizes they are under water, "strategic default" becomes a thing (don't do this), and thus the market nose dives even more.

To compound this, the banks thought it was a good idea to take these high risk poo poo mortgages, bundle them as securities, and sell them to investors. They were essentially junk bonds but there was no reasonable way the investor could tell because the banks offered reps and warrants (hey this is good only X% are high risk) that were comically way off. So once the mortgages start defaulting, the value of the securities crashed.

Goldman Sachs role in this was they purchased a poo poo load of the bad securities and could not dump them fast enough. I think Goldman Sachs deserves a lot of criticism but I genuinely think they were victims to a point. I lose the sympathy for them when they began trading the securities when they knew they were bad. They should have raised the flag to the SEC and FHA at that point because I truly believe they knew what was going to happen.

Even worse, the banks knew the mortgages were poo poo and that the only way they could recover any losses besides government reimbursement (for low income mortgagors) was to get MI. So the banks packaged the mortgages into what's called a bulk deal and also sold these on reps and warrants, which like I said were comically off. The important thing to understand about a rep and warrant is that it has an inherent dollar value to it - it's your guarantee on what you are selling. Also, they offered loan products to borrowers such as SISA or NINA, which mean "stated income, stated asset" and "no income, no asset." That basically means with SISA you state the income and assets or with NINA you don't even need to provide that information. No income verification on a large capital outlay is a fantastic idea. So as these loans went into foreclosure the banks started filing MI claims.

At the time MI companies held loss reserves, but no matter how much capital and planning they set aside none of them could handle the catastrophic losses that they incurred due to the banks not being truthful. The only thing that saved a lot of MI companies was the stop loss set for the bulk deals, however, not all MI companies had that provision in the agreement so they had to continue to pay claims until they could no longer function operationally.

The nail in the coffin was when the banks then turned around and started suing the MI companies for fraud. I am not joking.

The long term effect of this bullshit, primarily from BOA, is that housing prices are still way above what they should be sold at. Other banks did play their part, but BOA was the largest player and they literally brought the country to its knees and no one seems to remember or care about that. If people were not apathetic idiots and actually cared about things like this happening then they would not bank with BOA. Bank somewhere that gives a poo poo about you like USAA or a credit union.

I work in the industry so I also have general knowledge of all of this, but I do not believe many people have pieced together the puzzle of the crash in this manner because all of these events were separate and a few don't seem related. It's extremely complicated, too, so I'm obviously oversimplifying a lot of events.

edit: I graduated college at the peak of the crash and it took me almost 2.5 years to bootstrap myself into a real job. I started out as a contractor and I learned that nothing should ever be beneath me and that I should be grateful for what opportunities I had.

I hate yankees fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Nov 26, 2015

Lufiron
Nov 24, 2005

City of Tampa posted:

just burn them down, the banks will be proper hosed when theres literally nothing there cept an empty lot

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Lufiron posted:

just burn them down, the banks will be proper hosed when theres literally nothing there cept an empty lot

And the insurance companies would like a word with you.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

So peoples heads don't spin let me try to translate this and please forums poster I hate Yankees, rate my performance.

So so total dicks overcharge people for homes, these dumbasses agree. Which raises more home prices, which more dumbasses buy, until said dumbasses become insolvent....can't make their mortgages.

Everyone declares bankruptcy.

These homes though still have a value attached to them, even if it's total hog poo poo from the bankruptcies. This value to bundled into a tightly bound buttplug and inserted into investors. These investors scream bloody murder and sell the comically oversized butt plug to other investors. This happens until someone just loving falls rear end first onto the buttplug and it comes out their mouth with "Save me Obama" attached on a pretty ribbon.

The government says ok, we'll help you dear citizen and gently starts to remove the buttplug, but it's a really large buttplug and the muscles of the person it's in just keep pulling it back up.

At this point, the people who sold this poor schlep the rear end rammer sue him because he can't take the pain. And they win.

And now we're at present time.

naem
May 29, 2011

VendaGoat posted:

So peoples heads don't spin let me try to translate this and please forums poster I hate Yankees, rate my performance.

So so total dicks overcharge people for homes, these dumbasses agree. Which raises more home prices, which more dumbasses buy, until said dumbasses become insolvent....can't make their mortgages.

These homes though still have a value attached to them, even if it's total hog poo poo from the bankruptcies. This value to bundled into a tightly bound buttplug and inserted into investors. These investors scream bloody murder and sell the comically oversized butt plug to other investors. This happens until someone just loving falls rear end first onto the buttplug and it comes out their mouth with "Save me Obama" attached on a pretty ribbon.

The government says ok, we'll help you dear citizen and gently starts to remove the buttplug, but it's a really large buttplug and the muscles of the person it's in just keep pulling it back up.

At this point, the people who sold this poor schlep the rear end rammer sue him because he can't take the pain. And they win.

Also we spent a trillion dollars (financed by China whose economy turns out to be mostly garbage) in order to murder brown people for a decade until their whole region is going murder nuts and they're stampeding to escape and occasional shooting up our cities yes

I hate yankees
Apr 29, 2008

VendaGoat posted:

5/5 :golfclap:

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k

Lufiron posted:

In Detroit they call this Devil's Night and its a yearly tradition on the night before Halloween. What I'm getting at is... Why should they have all the fun?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

all cities should strive to be more like detroit

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I hate yankees posted:

The long term effect of this bullshit, primarily from BOA, is that housing prices are still way above what they should be sold at. Other banks did play their part, but BOA was the largest player and they literally brought the country to its knees and no one seems to remember or care about that. If people were not apathetic idiots and actually cared about things like this happening then they would not bank with BOA. Bank somewhere that gives a poo poo about you like USAA or a credit union.

I work in the industry so I also have general knowledge of all of this, but I do not believe many people have pieced together the puzzle of the crash in this manner because all of these events were separate and a few don't seem related. It's extremely complicated, too, so I'm obviously oversimplifying a lot of events.

edit: I graduated college at the peak of the crash and it took me almost 2.5 years to bootstrap myself into a real job. I started out as a contractor and I learned that nothing should ever be beneath me and that I should be grateful for what opportunities I had.

I've had a very positive relationship with my credit union for 20 years :)

ex GF who's a wealthy republican tax accountant ayn rand fan hates credit unions for some reason, says they're all corrupt

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lol

The Fighter
Nov 27, 2015

by zen death robot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Fighter
Nov 27, 2015

by zen death robot

• Locked thread