Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Chaos Hippy posted:

Is this the one being written by Jurgens? Would someone who really misses pre-reboot Superman want to read this?

If you do, start with the Convergence: Superman two-shot. Prequel and same team.

e: They also did Futures End Superman issue. Nothing to do with this story, but Lee Weeks art looks great as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

I am offended by your ham, sir.
Noted.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Gaz-L posted:

I'd count Mxy ahead of everyone in that list but Luthor, really. And Toyman and Mongul are also on the list, I'd say.

Interesting.

Again, I'm a casual Supes reader, but Mxy and Toyman seemed like lower-tier guys. And I wasn't sure if Mongul was a primary villain of Superman or the Lanterns.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mxy's the villain in the most famous Superman story of all.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Gaz-L posted:

Mxy's the villain in the most famous Superman story of all.
I was gonna make a snarky comment about missing that particular Christopher Reeve movie, but then I realized we were thisclose to Dudley Moore as Mxy in III (some little bits of that script made it into the final film, i.e. traffic light fight) and got sad.

Wish they'd made more of those movies*. Love that music.

*And that they were good... but that's not an argument I really want to get into here. Apologies if you love 'em. I'm a child of Byrne and Wolfman. :drac:

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Red posted:

Interesting.

Again, I'm a casual Supes reader, but Mxy and Toyman seemed like lower-tier guys. And I wasn't sure if Mongul was a primary villain of Superman or the Lanterns.

Mongul's definitely one of Superman's guys, though he was pretty heavily involved in Johns' GL run, and duked it out with Hal in Engine City in the last couple issues of Reign of the Supermen in the 90s (the story that gave us Superman's black suit and long hair). Mxy's basically omnipotent, so I'd have a hard time characterising him as "lower-tier".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

e: They also did Futures End Superman issue. Nothing to do with this story, but Lee Weeks art looks great as hell.

He was always one of those guys who was a great artist but never really got a spotlight for his pencils.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Mongul's definitely one of Superman's guys, though he was pretty heavily involved in Johns' GL run, and duked it out with Hal in Engine City in the last couple issues of Reign of the Supermen in the 90s (the story that gave us Superman's black suit and long hair). Mxy's basically omnipotent, so I'd have a hard time characterising him as "lower-tier".

I'd say Mongul is one of those cases where the villain started out in one rouges gallery and ended up in the other.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I'd say Mongul is one of those cases where the villain started out in one rouges gallery and ended up in the other.

I dunno. His appearance in Reign of the Supermen and For The Man Who Has Everything is more than most characters in that vein have for their original opponent. Kingpin doesn't really have any 'classic' Spider-Man stories, but tons of Daredevil ones, for instance. I'm a casual GL and Superman fan, and I know him far more as the latter's enemy because of those stories.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mongul first appeared in a Superman story. He's a superman villain.

(Okay, it was a Superman and MM story but still.)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's also the bad guy in For the Man Who Has Everything which is among the top 10 Superman stories ever told. He's a Superman baddie.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Chaos Hippy posted:

Fair enough, but my major reference for Mxy is "voiced by Gilbert Gottfried". :)

(Though that show in general was really good, and that was a really good episode, too.)

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
My touchstone for Mxy, weirdly enough, is that Supergirl in the 8th grade miniseries where he implies he's the reason Krypton blew up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So I've been re-reading random chunks of my Superman trade collection, got to the New Krypton era part of the shelf and after three books I'm just irritated as hell. You have two books for Nightwing and Flamebird, two books for Mon-El, three books for World of New Krypton, two books for War on New Kryptonand a half dozen other random books that collect Jimmy or the Guardian's stories. I don't know who was in charge of this but it's a huge clusterfuck. There's little direct flow in any of the stories and only one book collects crossovers across the various titles at the time. And one issue is reprinted in three different volumes. And on top of that, they don't even collect every issue during this run so for some reason the loving Legion shows up but we don't get any clear reason why.

I'm about to dump these loving books and start tracking down single issues again.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Chaos Hippy posted:

I mean, he was involved, but not all that heavily. He was inexplicably in the Sinestro Corps along with Cyborg Superman and uh, the Anti-Monitor, but he didn't do all that much.

The Anti-Monitor wearing a uniform is still so incredibly weird to me. The guy destroyed multiple universes.

haitfais
Aug 7, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

I mean, he was involved, but not all that heavily. He was inexplicably in the Sinestro Corps along with Cyborg Superman and uh, the Anti-Monitor, but he didn't do all that much.

The Anti-Monitor wearing a uniform is still so incredibly weird to me. The guy destroyed multiple universes.

Didn't he mutiny and take over the corps for a while before Sinestro came back and literally dropped the power battery on Mongul's head? I want to say that last bit happened in Blackest Night, mostly because it's the last Green Lantern story I read.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I don't know, Johns' Green Lantern passed through my brain like a McDonald's hamburger passes through my guts.

I seem to remember he tore out Arkillo's tongue or something.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

When was the last time Mongul was in a Superman book? Green Lantern kind of stole him.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
Mongul was a pretty major player in several early arcs from Greg Pak's Batman/Superman, and he might have appeared in Doomed, if I'm remembering correctly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

He was the bad guy in the terrible sideways Brett Booth arc of BM/SM that I skipped all but half an issue of, but the first Annual on Warworld was pretty good if memory serves.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Oct 23, 2015

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Rhyno posted:

So I've been re-reading random chunks of my Superman trade collection, got to the New Krypton era part of the shelf and after three books I'm just irritated as hell. You have two books for Nightwing and Flamebird, two books for Mon-El, three books for World of New Krypton, two books for War on New Kryptonand a half dozen other random books that collect Jimmy or the Guardian's stories. I don't know who was in charge of this but it's a huge clusterfuck. There's little direct flow in any of the stories and only one book collects crossovers across the various titles at the time. And one issue is reprinted in three different volumes. And on top of that, they don't even collect every issue during this run so for some reason the loving Legion shows up but we don't get any clear reason why.

I'm about to dump these loving books and start tracking down single issues again.
This cannot be stressed enough. I don't think it's a bad story (it's not Morrison or Moore, not everything can be), there are a bunch of good sequences and I really appreciate what they were trying to do giving Supes a Bat-sized event. DC's collections department regularly ruins the very material they are reprinting. They put all the back-up stories which directly correlate to the issue in which they appeared, screwing up both Morrison's Action trades and Simonson's Orion omnibus. My favorite is the JLA Vol. 1 electro-Superman appearance. Morrison's JLA is so great and so good to recommend, and then out of nowhere Smurf Supes show up and new readers are rightfully confused. They could reprint the four pages in that year's Secret Files & Origins which explain what happened and what his powers are (you know, like they reprinted other stories from the same and other SF&O issues), or they can alienate new readers right out of the gate. Seriously, I've overheard people in shops and seen online comments about this so many times over the years. It's ridiculous. DC makes it so drat difficult to be a fan.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.
Picked up the first Lois and Clark issue on a whim and really liked it. Weeks' art is fantastic and it felt like a nice comfortable return to the classic Jurgens era.

I did have to do a bit of an eye-roll at Hank Heshaw as it just felt like Jurgens going back to the well yet again. Hopefully he can do something new and interesting but as soon as loving Waverider shows up I'm outta there.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

How is the current Supergirl run?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Swillkitsch posted:

How is the current Supergirl run?

There isn't one going now, but the N52 series was quite good from the launch until about a year in when it was wrapped up in two crossovers "H'el on Earth" and "Return of Krypton" with Superman and Superboy which were horrible comics at the time.
The period where she was a Red Lantern was fun too, especially since Charles Soule's Red Lanterns was a great loving book.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 24, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, the first year or so is a lot better than it sounded when they were hyping it, they pushed the 'Kara's so ALIEN' angle, making it sound like she was going to be some cold, distant being looking down on the puny humans, when it was pretty much the opposite. She's a teenage girl a trillion miles from home, the thing she was sent to do she doesn't need to do anymore, the baby cousin she was supposed to look out for is replaced by a grown dude that likes these aliens more than her, no-one speaks her language, she doesn't understand the culture or customs and she has these weird powers she can barely control. And she reacts exactly like you'd expect, panics and lashes out.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

And doesn't wear pants.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Doomed was recently published here, awesome, awesome story.

I'll miss classic Doomsday though.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Wow, I had no idea Supergirl got canceled. That sucks, because yeah, I read the first arc before the H'El on Earth storyline started and really enjoyed it. I think the artist was Mahmud Asrar, and his art on the title was really nice.

I'm catching up on Superman and Action and enjoying them both, but I realized the other day the reason I wasn't picking up the Jurgens book was because I didn't want to read a book that seemed to heavily focus on Clark's young son. It's me, I'm the problem with comics. Is it good?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
It's good so far, but then it is only one issue in so it's kind of hard to make some ringing endorsement yet.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

The first issue of Superman: American Alien is really good. It's a great book and the spread at the end that details Jon and Martha's lives is really well-done and touching.

I don't know if it needs spoiler tags, but has Jonathan ever been a lawyer in any previous iterations? Same for Martha being a veterinarian. I think it's great stuff, just curious.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Swillkitsch posted:

The first issue of Superman: American Alien is really good. It's a great book and the spread at the end that details Jon and Martha's lives is really well-done and touching.

I don't know if it needs spoiler tags, but has Jonathan ever been a lawyer in any previous iterations? Same for Martha being a veterinarian. I think it's great stuff, just curious.

Yeah it was pretty decent. It was great seeing some people (read: /co/) ready to absolutely despise it because it was written by meany poopoohead Max Landis.

To answer your question, I'm not sure. However, there was a time waaaay back during the Bronze Age that the Kents sold their farm and ran a general store.

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007
I'm pretty sure it's the first time Jonathan and Martha were given those jobs but they're GREAT ideas for the characters. The idea of them sort of having wound up in Smallville but hanging in there is really cool.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Yannick_B posted:

I'm pretty sure it's the first time Jonathan and Martha were given those jobs but they're GREAT ideas for the characters. The idea of them sort of having wound up in Smallville but hanging in there is really cool.

Prior to N52 the Kent family had been in Kansas for several generations. I'm actually digging the idea that Jon got kind stuck there instead.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Martha being a vet sounds like something that should've been the case forever, but I think I might be conflating any number of wholesome rural families in fiction where that's the job for the mother.

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Was she a vet on Smallville?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As far as I can tell she was just a housewife on Smallville, at least at first. I'm sure she was some kind of high-powered businesswoman engaged to Lionel Luthor or whatever by the end of it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
She was a state senator I believe. By the end, I mean. She started as a homemaker/farmer, yes.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Interview with Adams about the "Coming of the Supermen"

quote:

IGN: How would you compare what you're doing with Coming of the Supermen to what you did with Batman in Batman: Odyssey?

Adams: Well, it's kind of the same thing. I'm taking a new look, which is the old look, and saying, "No, guys. I understand everybody likes to change things and move things around. No. It was good. It just needs to be done in a more professional and better-drawn way." That's really all. That's what I did with Batman; that's what I'm doing with Superman. I'm hoping that other people will look at what I'm doing with Superman and say, "Hey, that's how we wanted to see Superman!" I mean, Jim Lee has done a lot of that already. He's done a much more powerful and better-looking Superman. I want to carry that on. I just feel that Superman should be a little bit better, a little bit juicier and a little bit more romantic. He doesn't have to be a pretty boy, he just has to be handsome and rugged and tough. And he maybe has to be that one little thing I put in at the end of this story. Of course, I can't tell you what that is.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Neal Adams comes across as someone going full "not muh Superman" in that interview but I still want to read whatever madness he's come up with.

I'd also love to see some more stand alone miniseries/OGNs using some sort of broadly defined, not confined to any continuity version of Superman.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yang's Superman is so horrible :(

• Locked thread