Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I was depressed as a result of seeing Avatar, but not because it was pretty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Cat loses fight with bee:

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Hey cat
That's a nice nose
For a clown to wear

Filthy Haiku
Oct 22, 2010

i am shattering like glass

but at least
i have

springy ride
Ah cha cha cha cha!

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

Nuebot posted:

I thought so too until I saw the high def blu-ray poo poo at a friend's place, it might have just been the settings on the TV but I thought it all looked like rubber or clay and just stood out painfully bad. But maybe I'm just crazy.

Its because the loving 3d bullshit hides a lot of the bad graphics. Avatar looks like poo poo.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Nuebot posted:

I thought so too until I saw the high def blu-ray poo poo at a friend's place, it might have just been the settings on the TV but I thought it all looked like rubber or clay and just stood out painfully bad. But maybe I'm just crazy.

It's not just you. It's because any fully CGI effect that isn't environmental detail or touching up an existing prop inevitably looks like weird plastic clay. Why exactly I couldn't tell you, but it's held very true and makes a lot of early 00s movies a bit of a special effects dead zone. Even Lord of the Rings only barely scrapes by at times.

UntunedGuitar47
Nov 21, 2008

mind the walrus posted:

Even Lord of the Rings only barely scrapes by at times.

I remember back when the Lord of the Rings movies first got released on Blu-ray. I was at a friends place with some buddies and another one came by and said "Check this guys! Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray!". We we're like "Pop this fucker in to see what it looks like!" and skipped to the balrog fight scene in the first movie and were massively disappointed because you could clearly see, that it was just a dude standing in a green screen environment.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Polaron posted:

People whining about CGI don't know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

It was that very same video (already posted further up the page than your post) that caused the argument in the first place.

D C posted:

Its because the loving 3d bullshit hides a lot of the bad graphics. Avatar looks like poo poo.

This. It looks a lot clearer and computer generated when it's not viewed through 3D glasses which dim out a lot of the crap. It's like playing a game with anti-aliasing disabled.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

UntunedGuitar47 posted:

I remember back when the Lord of the Rings movies first got released on Blu-ray. I was at a friends place with some buddies and another one came by and said "Check this guys! Lord of the Rings Trilogy on Blu-ray!". We we're like "Pop this fucker in to see what it looks like!" and skipped to the balrog fight scene in the first movie and were massively disappointed because you could clearly see, that it was just a dude standing in a green screen environment.

And Fellowship stands up the best. By the time you get to Return of the King you've got the elephant-things and Cave Trolls out in "daylight", and you really can't ignore the imperfections no matter how hard you try.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Polaron posted:

People whining about CGI don't know what they're talking about : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bL6hp8BKB24

Garbage video cherry picking the most subtle uses of CGI ever, completely ignoring how lovely that The Thing remakes looked when they did it all on CGI instead of practical effects.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Yeah but high schoolers love it.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I can understand if they decide to go with CGI first, but going with practical effects first, and then deciding to cover them up with CGI because "It looks like those vidja-games kids like." is mind-boggling. It's not like young people would watch the movie, see practical effects and go "What is happening?! My mind can't parse these images on screen! If only the effects looked more like Halo!"

Ever more proof that hollywood execs are some of the smartest people around when it comes to making money, but also some of the dumbest, most out of touch people out there.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

mind the walrus posted:

It's not just you. It's because any fully CGI effect that isn't environmental detail or touching up an existing prop inevitably looks like weird plastic clay. Why exactly I couldn't tell you, but it's held very true and makes a lot of early 00s movies a bit of a special effects dead zone. Even Lord of the Rings only barely scrapes by at times.

I hate that I sound like some elitist snob or something when I complain about this, but I agree 100% and often find myself worrying that like, maybe something's weird about my eyes that it bugs me so much and I'm missing something cool about the way it looks or something. Like, seriously if it's not used as a touch up, it feels like it's just a cartoon. My suspension of disbelief is such that I can handle that, but don't tell me Avengers 2 is such peak special effects, when half the time it feels like I'm watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Make a loving thread for it you boring idiots.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
E: nm.

RolandTower
Nov 19, 2003

Guns n' Roses n' Deus Ex Machina
Bleak Gremlin

Hogge Wild posted:

That's not necessarily a hospital. The guy is trading a scythe for the symbol of commerce and negotiation.

It's a relief on the Fulton County Health department in Atlanta, GA. Right across the street from Grady hospital, probably the sickest place in the US. They need the inspiring art because they sure as gently caress aren't getting the state funding they need.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Polaron posted:

I can't remember the last time I was really wowed by CGI. Good practical effects still blow me out of the water every time though. They're just so much more satisfying to watch. It's like I really don't get impressed with how many individual people some computer program can render during a massive scene. Too much CGI just feels less real and really takes away from the immersion of the movie in my opinion.

Content:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Choco1980 posted:

I hate that I sound like some elitist snob or something when I complain about this, but I agree 100% and often find myself worrying that like, maybe something's weird about my eyes that it bugs me so much and I'm missing something cool about the way it looks or something. Like, seriously if it's not used as a touch up, it feels like it's just a cartoon. My suspension of disbelief is such that I can handle that, but don't tell me Avengers 2 is such peak special effects, when half the time it feels like I'm watching Who Framed Roger Rabbit...

It's uncanny valley stuff and it's pretty well known. It goes into the "painted statue" thing as CGI can't quite get reality. In the real world most stuff is somewhat transparent so you aren't just seeing the top layer. Stuff like skin especially so; the color you see in skin is more than just skin cells. The cells themselves are almost transparent and pretty white. The color of skin comes from melanin, blood, and other such things because skin is somewhat transparent. This is why CGI people look off somehow. They'll be the right color but the effect is different because of how that color is arrived at. Same goes for, well, everything really. It's also in how things move. Stuff like cloth is absurdly difficult to actually animate properly and no movie has an infinite budget. There are limits on how much time and money can be spent so corners get cut. Plus computers are nowhere near the point where they can simulate reality at that fine of detail anyway. It looks just wrong enough for your brain to go "this is not real but it is trying to be."

Which is why stuff like Who Frame Roger Rabbit? actually worked. It wasn't even trying to be real. It was like "hey this is a cartoon and it can interact with the real world." Well done cartoon CGI can be impressive as hell and good animation is spectacular but, well, Americans want pretty faces interacting with things that explode apparently and it's easier to do American action movies with CGI. For better or for worse it costs less to burn a city down in a computer than it does to do it for real. Easier to control it, too. Fewer actors dying of fire-related injuries. Don't have to pay for so much insurance. Is nice.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
Good CGI:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLKnCeeAW48

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Where did you find a representation of my posting?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It's uncanny valley stuff and it's pretty well known. It goes into the "painted statue" thing as CGI can't quite get reality. In the real world most stuff is somewhat transparent so you aren't just seeing the top layer. Stuff like skin especially so; the color you see in skin is more than just skin cells. The cells themselves are almost transparent and pretty white. The color of skin comes from melanin, blood, and other such things because skin is somewhat transparent. This is why CGI people look off somehow. They'll be the right color but the effect is different because of how that color is arrived at. Same goes for, well, everything really. It's also in how things move. Stuff like cloth is absurdly difficult to actually animate properly and no movie has an infinite budget. There are limits on how much time and money can be spent so corners get cut. Plus computers are nowhere near the point where they can simulate reality at that fine of detail anyway. It looks just wrong enough for your brain to go "this is not real but it is trying to be."

Which is why stuff like Who Frame Roger Rabbit? actually worked. It wasn't even trying to be real. It was like "hey this is a cartoon and it can interact with the real world." Well done cartoon CGI can be impressive as hell and good animation is spectacular but, well, Americans want pretty faces interacting with things that explode apparently and it's easier to do American action movies with CGI. For better or for worse it costs less to burn a city down in a computer than it does to do it for real. Easier to control it, too. Fewer actors dying of fire-related injuries. Don't have to pay for so much insurance. Is nice.

JoelJoel posted:

Make a loving thread for it you boring idiots.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

thx for the pic m8

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

mind the walrus posted:

And Fellowship stands up the best. By the time you get to Return of the King you've got the elephant-things and Cave Trolls out in "daylight", and you really can't ignore the imperfections no matter how hard you try.

I can because I'm not a weirdo

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I've worked with cgi and the reason a lot of cgi looks bad is because

a) the tools available just aren't great at animated photorealism yet. The most photoreal things I've seen have all been still renders and that's fine but as soon as that stuff gets animated and has to move around and react to different lighting and stuff it starts to look fake. The fake Arnold from the latest terminator movie is about as good as it gets afaik and it still doesn't look completely real and that's a night scene which is way easier to get away with than a day scene

b) huge spread of competence during a project. One single scene can involve a bunch of people who all create different things for the scene and then they all gotta fit together perfectly. You got the riggers, the modellers, trackers, the animators, the people who set up the lighting, the guys who make the effects like explosions and smoke and then you have people who gotta make a composite out of all this poo poo and somehow make it so it looks real. You don't have one nerd sitting there infront of a computer making entire CGI scenes. There are a ton of cooks in the kitchen and to make it all work well together is extremely difficult. Those 10 SECONDS of CGI was probably worked on by a dozen different people for weeks on end

I mean there's a reason CGI is so expensive and it's far from perfect yet

[€dit]

Somebody has a new favorite as of 00:14 on Nov 29, 2015

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I can because I'm not a weirdo

The important thing is you feel better than someone else.

Zzulu posted:

I've worked with cgi and the reason a lot of cgi looks bad is because

a) the tools available just aren't great at animated photorealism yet. The most photoreal things I've seen have all been still renders and that's fine but as soon as that stuff gets animated and has to move around and react to different lighting and stuff it starts to look fake. The fake Arnold from the latest terminator movie is about as good as it gets afaik and it still doesn't look completely real and that's a night scene which is way easier to get away with than a day scene

b) huge spread of competence during a project. One single scene can involve a bunch of people who all create different things for the scene and then they all gotta fit together perfectly. You got the riggers, the modellers, trackers, the animators, the people who set up the lighting, the guys who make the effects like explosions and smoke and then you have people who gotta make a composite out of all this poo poo and somehow make it so it looks real. You don't have one nerd sitting there infront of a computer making entire CGI scenes. There are a ton of cooks in the kitchen and to make it all work well together is extremely difficult. Those 10 SECONDS of CGI was probably worked on by a dozen different people for weeks on end

I mean there's a reason CGI is so expensive and it's far from perfect yet

Well yeah, this is p. obvious to anyone with half a working brain. It's just classic nerd gripe poo poo. Owning up to the fact that CGI (and even practical effects!) can look like poo poo as time goes by is not the same thing as saying that the movie sucks, and noticing that the special effects aren't perfect doesn't take away from enjoying the movie because it's a loving movie none of it is real anyway and it's all essentially a lark. Enough for my part though, sorry to contributing to the derail.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
You fuckin morons are posting a lot of stupid words and nothing funny.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

mind the walrus posted:

The important thing is you feel better than someone else.

Well yeah, this is p. obvious to anyone with half a working brain. It's just classic nerd gripe poo poo. Owning up to the fact that CGI (and even practical effects!) can look like poo poo as time goes by is not the same thing as saying that the movie sucks, and noticing that the special effects aren't perfect doesn't take away from enjoying the movie because it's a loving movie none of it is real anyway and it's all essentially a lark. Enough for my part though, sorry to contributing to the derail.

Say what you will, but Jabba the Hutt does look more realistic as a puppet compared to CGI.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

Say what you will, but Jabba the Hutt does look more realistic as a puppet compared to CGI.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Posting fat acceptance poo poo from their Rascal scooter like this just enrages me. Fat mother- and/or father-fucker needs to lose some lard.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

That's an edit so I can only imagine she's sending someone a happy birthday message from the hospital where she's getting her thyroid problems taken care of.
Or maybe the original is even worse than the edit. Who knows.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
The original.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Paladinus posted:

The original.

Dodecalypse
Jun 21, 2012

SKA SUCKS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Posting fat acceptance poo poo from their Rascal scooter like this just enrages me. Fat mother- and/or father-fucker needs to lose some lard.

you are a nasty person, please get help

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Dodecalypse posted:

you are a nasty person, please get help

You're a fatty, please get a gym membership.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:gas:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

That word describes fat people yes.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

oldpainless posted:

That word describes fat people yes.

I am quite fat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hey, how about instead of stupid whiny bullshit we have funny pictures.

• Locked thread