Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.

Baron von Eevl posted:

I wish someone out there sold 25" scale Fender conversion necks. It's such a nice feel.

is 24 3/4 not good enough or something because i'm not familiar with pure 25. Fender is 25 1/2 usually, Gibson is 24 3/4

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/ConversionNecks.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer
When I was first learning guitar I always wanted a Burganday/Maple strat /w white hardware. Since then Fender has changed their definition of 'Burgandy' and you don't see this color combination much (or at all?) these days.

By a huge string of coincidences I noticed that my local music shop had that extract Strat in stock. It's not in the best cosmetic condition, but they are still looking for $1000 for it. Link Here.

I know very little about the used guitar market. How fair of a price is this?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
It's so close, but I've been trying to figure out what I love so much about this Dano neck. The only other time I've found a neck this comfortable was on a PRS. Guess what scale that uses!

I mean really it's only 1/4 inch, but it just feels so different to me.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

The SG chat has me wondering about something. What gives them THAT sound? SGs always have that awesome mid forward, clear, stringy punch. Most importantly there's a bounce to the attack that I've never been able to explain. It's very tactile and physical to my hands and ears. Even with high gain it doesn't get totally squashed. I'm guessing it's the small thin body but I don't even want to get into that argument.

Fuckin' SGs man.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

The SG chat has me wondering about something. What gives them THAT sound? SGs always have that awesome mid forward, clear, stringy punch. Most importantly there's a bounce to the attack that I've never been able to explain. It's very tactile and physical to my hands and ears. Even with high gain it doesn't get totally squashed. I'm guessing it's the small thin body but I don't even want to get into that argument.

Fuckin' SGs man.

A mahogany neck set into a mahogany body seems to do that. The whole guitar vibrates a little when you play. I find it more true of SG types than of Flying Vs (probably because thinner, as you say), but they both do it. It makes them, for me, the most rewarding to play in some ways, because of that feedback. It's really cool in a bass.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Chuu posted:

When I was first learning guitar I always wanted a Burganday/Maple strat /w white hardware. Since then Fender has changed their definition of 'Burgandy' and you don't see this color combination much (or at all?) these days.

By a huge string of coincidences I noticed that my local music shop had that extract Strat in stock. It's not in the best cosmetic condition, but they are still looking for $1000 for it. Link Here.

I'm going to be a complete rear end, but if that was made in mexico 5 years later and had black pickups/hardware that's my guitar.

Honestly though, that's a bit overpriced for what it is. Maybe if he had replaced the pickups with high end after market ones it would be worth that kind of money but for a 20 year old stock strat that's not really a great deal while not being a horrible one either.

You really can't go wrong with a maple necked strat though regardless of color, although the official color you're looking at there is called midnight wine which might help you in your search.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Gorgar posted:

A mahogany neck set into a mahogany body seems to do that. The whole guitar vibrates a little when you play. I find it more true of SG types than of Flying Vs (probably because thinner, as you say), but they both do it. It makes them, for me, the most rewarding to play in some ways, because of that feedback. It's really cool in a bass.

That's probably it. 100% lean hog :cool: I seriously love that vibration like you said. It's not even the same with other resonant guitars, it's special.

I'm guessing the SG (EB?)basses are what you're referring to?

Kilometers Davis fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Nov 27, 2015

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Kilometers Davis posted:

That's probably it. 100% lean hog :cool: I seriously love that vibration like you said. It's not even the same with other resonant guitars, it's special.

I'm guessing the SG basses are what you're referring to?

I've tried a couple SG style Gibson EB-somethings, and I've got a Flying V bass that Gibson did a few of a few years ago, and yes they do it, but I was mainly thinking of Guild's SG style bass: http://www.centaurguitar.com/Vintage_Guild_JS_II_Carved_Top_Bass_w_HC_p/13575.htm It plays so very nicely, and you feel everything you do. The guitar version of that is as resonant as an SG in my opinion, and is probably my favorite electric.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Chuu posted:

Not terrible if it was one of the 40th anniversary series, but otherwise that's definitely on the high end, which is normal for CME. The burgundy finish is called something like midnight wine now and they're still pretty common.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

You can always ask what they can do on the price. They do seem to drop it when I think to ask. Got a couple hundred off my last bass there.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Weird BIAS posted:

is 24 3/4 not good enough or something because i'm not familiar with pure 25. Fender is 25 1/2 usually, Gibson is 24 3/4

http://www.warmoth.com/Guitar/Necks/ConversionNecks.aspx

I'm still amazed at how much of a difference my Jaguar's 24" scale makes. It's sooooo much more comfortable to play. I'm waiting for an incoming Grosh Electrajet Custom (should get it in January) and I'm really glad I special-ordered it with a 24.75" scale.

By the way, I might acquire a tube amp in the near future, and the models I'm checking out lack my favorite effect - tremolo. Soooo... What's the best tremolo pedal in this thread's opinion? :)

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Baron von Eevl posted:

It's so close, but I've been trying to figure out what I love so much about this Dano neck. The only other time I've found a neck this comfortable was on a PRS. Guess what scale that uses!

I mean really it's only 1/4 inch, but it just feels so different to me.

Are you sure it's not the radius? Small changes to that make a huge difference in feel, I think.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wengy posted:

I'm still amazed at how much of a difference my Jaguar's 24" scale makes. It's sooooo much more comfortable to play. I'm waiting for an incoming Grosh Electrajet Custom (should get it in January) and I'm really glad I special-ordered it with a 24.75" scale.

By the way, I might acquire a tube amp in the near future, and the models I'm checking out lack my favorite effect - tremolo. Soooo... What's the best tremolo pedal in this thread's opinion? :)

I have an Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar which I like, however I would have got one with tap tempo f I was to buy again, which I will, because I am a gear nerd.
It makes all the right sounds though

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Speaking of tubes, I got my amp that had really bad static with the reverb knob up back from the shop and it's much better again. I was worried I'd need a bunch of new tubes but it just had dirty tube sockets. The moral of this story is don't forget to clean your tube sockets. Even the ones unrelated to the reverb circuit got cleaned and the whole thing is more responsive and better sounding.

I mean it does kinda need new tubes but not critically so in a couple paychecks I'm gonna take it into the shop and the owner and I will make a couple hours of swapping tubes in and out to figure out which of the brands and numerous 12ax7 variants I like best in it. He lamented that the DOD doesn't use tubes anymore because you could get much longer lasting tubes back then :v:

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I was wondering what opinions people have about the Boss me-25 mutieffects pedal and multieffects pedals in general. I have been playing guitar on and off for a long time but only in the last 9 months have I been serious about it. I want to be able to play with different tones in a home setting without spending more than a couple hundred bucks. I don't have any plans to play anywhere more serious than a friend's basement. Will I grow out of this pedal before I have gotten my money's worth?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

I have an Electro Harmonix Stereo Pulsar which I like, however I would have got one with tap tempo f I was to buy again, which I will, because I am a gear nerd.
It makes all the right sounds though

Sounds great, thanks! It gets good reviews and I'll check it out. Am also thinking about the Strymon Flint (expensive) and the Mad Professor Mellow Yellow.

I also almost ordered an American Vintage 64 Telecaster today. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Welp Black Friday + B stock deal means I ordered an SG G400 Pro at £100 discount.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

Wengy posted:

I have no personal experience with it but the Source Audio Vertigo looks pretty good from the demos, has more features than you will probably ever use and isn't too expensive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4E0f9xk5bc

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Wengy posted:

How elaborate do you feel like getting? The dude from Melt-Banana uses a Goatkeeper and they look easy to get creative with, if impractical. Probably would have good resale value if you could actually find one to buy, too!

Wooten posted:

Hello, I'm new to this thread. I was wondering what opinions people have about the Boss me-25 mutieffects pedal and multieffects pedals in general. I have been playing guitar on and off for a long time but only in the last 9 months have I been serious about it. I want to be able to play with different tones in a home setting without spending more than a couple hundred bucks. I don't have any plans to play anywhere more serious than a friend's basement. Will I grow out of this pedal before I have gotten my money's worth?

I had a Boss ME-50 when I was starting out and that thing more than covered my needs - from looking up the ME-25, it seems like it's much easier to modify tones while you're playing with all the knobs on the ME-50, and they're usually pretty cheap used. Both of them have headphone outs, but the ME-25 has amp models if you're not playing amplified yet, and live looping is fun too. But I have fond memories of turning the delay and distortion up on the ME-50 and just letting rip until it self-oscillated into a nasty digital goo. Only thing is the distortions aren't super realistic so if you just get a used RAT or DS1/2 alongside the ME-50 you'll be set!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wooten posted:

They're pretty decent as far as I know. I'm not sure what you mean by outgrow, though. ME pedals are a good way to get a feel for lots of different effects and how to use them. Then you'll eventually get a feel for what you really want from your pedals and select the one that has ~the tone~ you want.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Thanks guys I think I'll order it.

Shugojin posted:

They're pretty decent as far as I know. I'm not sure what you mean by outgrow, though. ME pedals are a good way to get a feel for lots of different effects and how to use them. Then you'll eventually get a feel for what you really want from your pedals and select the one that has ~the tone~ you want.

By outgrow, I just mean am I going to hate the thing once I know what I'm doing?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Wengy posted:

Sounds great, thanks! It gets good reviews and I'll check it out. Am also thinking about the Strymon Flint (expensive) and the Mad Professor Mellow Yellow.

I also almost ordered an American Vintage 64 Telecaster today. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME

Just want to forewarn you though, Jag + Trem pedal will give the muscles you use to smile in your face cramp from over use

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How's the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Good posts, guys, thanks. My list of potential trem pedals is growing :)

Muike, I've heard that this particular interface can be a little fussy with guitars but I don't remember why (check gearslutz where all the audio nerds hang out). I just went through a long search for a suitable audio interface that eventually led me to the Audient id14. I'm very happy with it and would suggest that you check it out :)

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Wengy posted:

I really liked the EQD Hummingbird since it had both a sin and square wave setting along with an expression pedal input to control the speed.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Project Sheraton moves on...

The gold hardware is going and here it is with new nickel Grovers on, I went with tulips and I dig them:

All hardware out, frets being dressed etc:

Exciting times!

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
How'd pulling the bushings for the bridge and tailpiece go?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I made the mistake of playing some old Kay hollowbodies I don't remotely have the money for. So much funk and personality :rip:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

muike posted:

How'd pulling the bushings for the bridge and tailpiece go?

I made it as easy as I could, first I put my hand in my pocket, then I paid a dude, then I said 'I'll pick it up on Saturday' :v:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Shugojin posted:

I made the mistake of playing some old Kay hollowbodies I don't remotely have the money for. So much funk and personality :rip:

You don't need food when you got funk my friend

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

muike posted:

How's the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?

Have not heard good things about this base model. The instrument line in clips. Higher models seem better in this regard.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Thanks for the input, Sockington and Wengy. I ended up grabbing one anyway cuz I could get it for 99 bucks and it seemed like it would at least be fun to try some stuff out with. :shobon: in the future I'll probably end up grabbing something of higher quality.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Frustratingly my Akai EIE Pro has been faultless for a good long while, I say frustrating because it still shits the bed now and then, thus making me unable to recommend it.
Apart from that it's great as well.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Wooten posted:

Boss multi-effects thing words

By outgrow, I just mean am I going to hate the thing once I know what I'm doing?

My guess would be: yes. At first it'll be a world of options, but at some point you'll probably want to move on to individual units that are built to do one thing well and maybe don't all have similar voicings (being part of the same unit). Instead, buy the individual units, and start with ones that don't suck. No plastic pieces of crap, etc.

For each kind of effect you're interested in, try the versions from MXR, Electro-Harmonix, Digitech Hardwire (non-Hardwire might well be crap) and maybe Boss* at Guitar Center or whatever, then find a used one of whatever you prefer, for each effect type you like. That lets you screw with the order, put some in the effects loop if you have one or when you get one, and it keeps things simple. For distortion, avoid anything from Boss that says COSM on it, because it's probably bad.

This will give you individual pedals that aren't poo poo and that you might keep around because they do some good sounds, even if later you decide to get weird and boutique.

*Note: I am an old, and this list might be outdated, but they're all still in business and making credible stuff, though I'm not really that fond of Boss.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Wooten posted:

Thanks guys I think I'll order it.

On that... I mean, probably? Some of the patches you may end up liking though. If it's not too late to not order/cancel it, I would definitely check ebay/your local craigslist. I see ME25/50/80s pop up for a fair chunk off of the new price pretty frequently and I live in a smaller area. That's more deal-hunting advice than anything else though.

Wooten
Oct 4, 2004

Shugojin posted:

On that... I mean, probably? Some of the patches you may end up liking though. If it's not too late to not order/cancel it, I would definitely check ebay/your local craigslist. I see ME25/50/80s pop up for a fair chunk off of the new price pretty frequently and I live in a smaller area. That's more deal-hunting advice than anything else though.

Thanks. For some reason my local craigslist is nothing but first act guitars 24/7. I will check out ebay before I drop full price on it though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
You'll probably never regret it, but there will probably be a point where you find the sounds you like and get gear specially for that. But even then, they have their uses - being able to dial in something totally unexpected is a good way to break writer's block and stuff with cabinet/mic modeling can make killer headphone amps.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Found a decent deal on a Mad Professor Mellow Yellow, so I pounced. It's pricey, but should take care of my Tremolo needs for the foreseeable future...

TollTheHounds
Mar 23, 2006

He died for your sins...
Where do you sit when you play?

Do you have a special chair/stool, or just sit on the couch?

I'm thinking of getting a dedicated "musician's chair/stool" because my couch kind of sucks for comfort. My legs start to go numb after an hour or 2 when I'm playing and I'm worried that that plus awkward positioning to play comfortably is going to gently caress up my back long term.

If I go the "special chair" route, what should I get? I've seen people use bar stools, Yamaha has a specific stool thing with back and foot rests, some people I know use a drum stool etc etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuu
Sep 11, 2004

Grimey Drawer

comes along bort posted:

Not terrible if it was one of the 40th anniversary series, but otherwise that's definitely on the high end, which is normal for CME. The burgundy finish is called something like midnight wine now and they're still pretty common.

Thanks for the various replies on this. Having the right color name definitely makes this easier to research.