Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

Alright I am giving this warship game a shot and have applied as SEAScrub

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Uncle stanely cleared the list, reapply.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I'm just testing everyone's resolve :clint:

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

God admit Stanley. What do you think this is? a game?

Reapplied

That Jerk Steve
Oct 18, 2011

Stevefin posted:

God admit Stanley. What do you think this is? a game?

Reapplied

The real challenge to the game isn't beating Dark Judge tryhards - it's getting into the fleet.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Logged in this evening and played one game (which crashed on me about halfway through). When do we get those Funbucks, tomorrow? There was no event or anything...

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Logged in this evening and played one game (which crashed on me about halfway through). When do we get those Funbucks, tomorrow? There was no event or anything...

It said 2 days after you logged in on Thanksgiving.

Also, since T6 is pretty much rip, time to get my DD line started now.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

I have noticed that many people stop, or never move, like my teams battle ships and start playing the game as if they are arty or carriers. I know WoWS also has this problem. but the amount that I have seen battle lines just stop and trade blows with each other is mind boggling

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Stevefin posted:

I have noticed that many people stop, or never move, like my teams battle ships and start playing the game as if they are arty or carriers. I know WoWS also has this problem. but the amount that I have seen battle lines just stop and trade blows with each other is mind boggling

The worst is when your battle line stops in a position where they're actually out of range to help your spotters at all. Subs benefit a lot from having good battleship help because they keep sub hunters from humping them.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Should I get the North Carolina Plan 1? It looks kinda fancy.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I love it when the enemy ships stop in nice clusters so I can introduce them to 2.1K damage torpedoes. :getin:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is friday, black friday, and later today we can do fleet battles.

I should be around then if I don't die outside today or fall asleep early.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Third World Reggin posted:

It is friday, black friday, and later today we can do fleet battles.

I should be around then if I don't die outside today or fall asleep early.

Listen here old man I want to do fleets tonight and I sure as poo poo ain't gonna lead nothing...

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Stanley Pain posted:

I love it when the enemy ships stop in nice clusters so I can introduce them to 2.1K damage torpedoes. :getin:

Yeah, I've had it happen a few times that I'd be in a sub and launch a spread of torps at max range at a random stationary BB to force it to maneuver, only to receive confirmation of a kill two minutes later.

Speaking of BBs, it does annoy me a bit that they usually tend to make up the majority of a given lineup. In most matches I look at 4-6 BBs but only 1-2 DDs and CVs/CAs each. With a makeup like that there's often fairly little to do for the smaller ships but to mercilessly get dunked on the moment they're spotted without doing much of anything.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, I've had it happen a few times that I'd be in a sub and launch a spread of torps at max range at a random stationary BB to force it to maneuver, only to receive confirmation of a kill two minutes later.

Speaking of BBs, it does annoy me a bit that they usually tend to make up the majority of a given lineup. In most matches I look at 4-6 BBs but only 1-2 DDs and CVs/CAs each. With a makeup like that there's often fairly little to do for the smaller ships but to mercilessly get dunked on the moment they're spotted without doing much of anything.

If you do something other than go in a straight line it's very hard for BBs to hit you until you're in torpedo range.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Stevefin posted:

They all seem to think that stopping will help them aim faster. If it does its negligible and just makes them an easy target. I love raining death on spotted enemy BBs just sitting still.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Panzeh posted:

If you do something other than go in a straight line it's very hard for BBs to hit you until you're in torpedo range.

Eh, just getting into torpedo range isn't everything. Especially as a CL when you actually want to do your job (i.e. going after DDs and the occasional SS) getting into range with your targets means being within range of the enemy BBs. So half the time rather than engaging the enemy smaller ships yourself, you're driving in serpentines or circles to avoid their heavy artillery and hope that your BBs kill them faster than theirs can you.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Perestroika posted:

Eh, just getting into torpedo range isn't everything. Especially as a CL when you actually want to do your job (i.e. going after DDs and the occasional SS) getting into range with your targets means being within range of the enemy BBs. So half the time rather than engaging the enemy smaller ships yourself, you're driving in serpentines or circles to avoid their heavy artillery and hope that your BBs kill them faster than theirs can you.

CLs have a harder time, yeah, because they tend to be taller and less maneuverable. You have to be more cautious. The bigger your ship, the more cautious you have to be. You can get more aggressive later on when the BBs start shooting at each other.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Spotting is worth a lot.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Spotting and the point blank torp game is what makes me come back to my Nip DDs. Had a 5v5 game the other night where I sank the entire enemy team with torps. My teammates asked me to slow down so they could get some XP in.

Caught their 2 BBs dry humping in a corner and with the Asahio's 2k damage torps made quick work of them. :unsmigghh:

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Panzeh posted:

The worst is when your battle line stops in a position where they're actually out of range to help your spotters at all. Subs benefit a lot from having good battleship help because they keep sub hunters from humping them.

I had a superb match in my RO-11 leading cruisers toward my sides BBs. The BBs like the free gifts and I got to shoot at the now otherwise occupied cruisers.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

One fun thing to do with enemy BBs who like to sit still is to team up with 2 CLs/DDs, go around the flank and use your smoke bombs one after the other to create a moving smoke shield to get you as close as possible to the BBs. Most of them are too preoccupied to notice the smoke coming up beside them. It's like 2 foxes in a chicken coop if you can get the drop on them. I did this on accident with a random player and we smoked 2 CVs and 4 BBs in one go. Although one of the BBs was a good shot and obliterated me before my torpedoes hit. Totally worth it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So we went to go test some things out since stanely was having issues with his german BB.

It looks like not all nations get the same firing arcs. He was rarely getting plunging fire in his tier 6 german BB.

Has any other BB players for any nation noticed this as well?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Fleet battles start in 3.5 from now and last 2 hours.

We will most likely being doing novice fleet battles that are tier 2-4 with the exception of no tier 4 DDs and SSs. Each fleet is 7-10 people. If you want a lower chance facing dark judges, bring 7 people, not 10.

If you win two matches, you get a lot of merit for officers. You also get us fleet supplies to give fleet wide buffs.

Every game is also worth +150% exp and silver.

We won quite a few matches tuesday.

Third World Reagan fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Nov 27, 2015

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Applied as Platonicsolid. Boates are a nice distraction between diaper changes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

someone cleared your application, I sent you tells in game and you never saw them

reapply

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Just done.

Edit: Cool. Just donated some silver. Not a ton, more when I have more.

XENA I LOVE YOU
Sep 11, 2010

:siren: Fleet battles now. Start making groups to get hosed nonstop by Dark Judge your free merit. :siren:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

We already got our two wins against KILL.

Stevefin
Sep 30, 2013

What happened to the 3.5 hours? still 35 mins from thirds post?

Griz
May 21, 2001

it started half an hour ago and goes for another 90 minutes

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Stevefin posted:

What happened to the 3.5 hours? still 35 mins from thirds post?

Click Fleet, look @ time, join, shoot ships in the dick. This is not hard. Make sure your computer time isn't set to Anime Time.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

your time zones are hosed up mate

dpidz0r
Jul 29, 2012
We just fought dark judge and killed 50% of their ships in a suicide rush. I'm streaming the battles on twitch for those who are left out of the fleet due to lack of room.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
I set my alarm clock so I could finally get into some fleet battles and than promptly ignored it when it went off cause it's saturday morning here. :suicide:

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle
How does LOS work? can I come around the end of an island and submerge at the last second and not be spotted? It doesn't seem that way. Also how does smoke work? Can I see things through my own smoke and it's a pure buff or does it work like WOWS where everyone is blind? How does torpedo spotting work? Are my torpedos always visible or is there some range that isn't listed? Should I hold off on torpedoes til the last second because they're always visible or should I fire when I think i'll hit and they get warning somewhere between? Also are goons hated enough yet where I should apply for the clan so I get teamkilled by everyone?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Islands block sight and sonar. I just had a game where I was waiting to ambush a sub that I knew was around the mountain. Instead a different larger japanese sub got within my safe distance before I saw it and then the other sub came in behind.

Smoke works like world of tank bushes. It provides a cover bonus to anyone inside after a few seconds and acts as a vision reducer. It isn't a complete block but a bonus to your camo. Natural fog is the same way. Firing and moving reduce your camo as well. Firing your guns pretty much removes any camo bonus you get with smoke, but firing torpedoes only removes a little bit. It will block vision between two points as well, so you can use it on the enemy.

Anyone can see shots and torpedoes across the map. Anyone with artillery view or carrier view can do this easily. The same thing works for flares and flack from AA. If you shoot and someone is paying attention, they know where you are.

Goons are not hated unless some sperg from eve shows up.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

After playing tier 5 carriers, I am really ok with dive bombers.

Filthiest Alf
Jul 26, 2007

it would be spiteful to put jellyfish in a trifle
So I guess I'm not familiar with how sonar works then. A lot of CLs have it, some CAs have it, and all DDs have it. how do I tell if i'm treading into dangerous detectable waters as a SS? Is there any way to know what range I should be cautious in? Is there any way I can know for sure somebody spotted me? There seems to be a lot of poo poo that they don't list in stats, like this camo bonus I get for 17000 sea bucks to give me 200 whatever the hell as a bonus. What does 200 mean? If i'm going up against 800 that's amazing, if I'm looking at 8000 that's meaningless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

So the actual vision rating is a bit poo poo, so is the sonar rating. If they are true there is some fuckery.

But every ship has its own camo modifier ala world of tanks. The bigger the ship, the worse its value. You have a great rating as a sub and you are invisible to everyone if you are not moving and running deep.

The camo value from your paint job might as well be measured in meters. I doubt it works when underwater but who knows.

Each nation has a certain range of sonar, some are better at it than others. IRL the japanese thought radar was dumb and lets build death rays, and this game reflects that since their sonar and radar is awful and there are no death rays.

The sonar also has a frequency that it checks. The higher the frequency, the more often it checks.

You won't know you are spotted unless you got a special commander who does that. IIRC there is only one. The best way to tell is if the enemy shoots at you.

• Locked thread