Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Is there a bug where you can get Lillith's unlocks without having played her? I do have her unlocked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Did you import a save? That might be the problem. Which post-it slots are filled in?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Has anyone run into Sticky Nickels once they unlocked them? Thankfully I haven't seen a single one in any of my runs. Meanwhile, I'm running into Lucky Pennies more often.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Dr. Fetus posted:

Has anyone run into Sticky Nickels once they unlocked them? Thankfully I haven't seen a single one in any of my runs. Meanwhile, I'm running into Lucky Pennies more often.

Thankfully they're rare, and only replace spawned pennies instead of nickles. At first I thought it was a straight punishment reward that would force all nickles to need a bomb to collect.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I haven't seen any Sticky Nickels yet.

Something I just learned firsthand: Polyphemus + Explosivo + Coin Shot + Curse of Darkness in the chest makes your tears cover up like a third of the screen while you're supposed to be dodging stuff mega satan does. Not a fun way to end the first time I get to him as the lost :x

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
I have seen a few, but they are rare.

In other news, I only have to beat Mega Satan with the Keeper to complete all of my marks.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ariong posted:

Why isn't the Lost Fly called the Fly on the Wall?

This is the most important question in the thread.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Kuros posted:

I have seen a few, but they are rare.

In other news, I only have to beat Mega Satan with the Keeper to complete all of my marks.

I was just on a decent Keeper run to mega satan when I died to the loving awful RNG spider boss bullshit in the cathedral. I really should look into modding that boss out, because it's total loving trash. The extra salt in the wound was I had swallowed penny, but he stomped me, then stomp on where the coin was. By the time I had made it to it I was out of i-frames and just auto-died to nonsense.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

guhhhhh I just died on the last form of Mega Satan as the lost, I just can't ever get enough damage while also passing up all the devil room items.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
Man, I hate 'Marked'. Seemed like it would be a straight upgrade, but nope, firing tears constantly caused me to take way too much accidental damage.

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX

Power of Pecota posted:

guhhhhh I just died on the last form of Mega Satan as the lost, I just can't ever get enough damage while also passing up all the devil room items.

I had a lost run yesterday where i had dads key and brimstone by basement 2. I was steamrolling everything. Even took a boss rush item (you can dads key out of the room without having to use the exit game exploit).

Only problem was i didn't get a SINGLE damage up the ENTIRE run and eventually died to isaac. Rip.

Still, the lost is super fun now so i don't even mind.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
My first Lost greed run and I found card mimic + 2 of diamonds in the basement, then godhead in caves. :getin:

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I'm starting to really freaking wish everyone had Judas levels of base damage, or more Eve-style ways to boost damage, or just any source of guaranteed damage up from defeating a boss, because I am having run after run where I just give up in Caves or Depths because I've had one damage up the entire time and the soul-eating tedium of slowly pecking away at giant enemy rooms is boring me to death. And I just feel lame having to sit there mashing R for 5 minutes every run to end up next to an item room with something useful.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Thank god, finally finished with both The Keeper and The Lost. All I have left now is some mega satan runs on the normal characters, which are relatively cake. I'm not usually a completionist when it comes to this crap, but I figured I'd give it a go at getting everything unlocked. Maybe like The Lost is now, the Keeper may be playable in the next dlc if they figure out what the hell to do to make him fun. Really the combination of awful starting triple shot and basically being unable to take both devil deals or even most curse rooms makes him super lame.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
Does the percentage for breaking the greed machine always start from 0% even if playing with the same character for subsequent runs?

Zo
Feb 22, 2005

LIKE A FOX
I think keeper is mostly fine. You just have to abuse the fact that his triple shot is a static speed down instead of a multiplier speed down. So after just a few tear up items it turns into insane dps. Not even on the same level as old lost.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I just had the oddest run. I managed to grab Infestation II followed by Monstro's Lung first, then followed by Cancer. Then I got Marked, which didn't do anything than give a massively reduced charge time.

Then in Caves I gambled a roll and got Epic Fetus. Which interacts WEIRD, since once you hit the cursor, it produced a never ending rain of about 5 bombs in a cluster every second, and the markers for them rotate in circles all over. I couldn't stop the bombs once I started them in a room. Then I got spoonbender in the boss rush -- the cursors just slid over to anything near without me having to touch them.

Sadly Hush ate my resources so bad with his damage reduction, despite that, that the Dark Room ended up eating me alive, because dodging a bomb strike in a narrow hallway just isn't happening.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

senrath posted:

Piggy Bank was nerfed specifically for the Keeper. Not sure about the Blood Bank.

This is a few pages back, but I had it happen once--and only once--where the Blood Bank didn't pay out jack poo poo after I touched it as Keeper. It could have been that I had some sort of item interaction going on that I didn't know about, or some other offhand glitch irrelevant to Keeper himself, because it was maybe once out of like 20 times I had used Blood Banks over the course of that whole run, but since then I've been really nervous about using Blood Banks with him.

Zo posted:

I think keeper is mostly fine. You just have to abuse the fact that his triple shot is a static speed down instead of a multiplier speed down. So after just a few tear up items it turns into insane dps. Not even on the same level as old lost.

I feel like Keeper has a really interesting mechanic--low health but consistently to generate health pickups--but his frailty and lack of mobility are a pain in the rear end. The Lost works as a frail character because of the mobility afforded by your flight, so you can kite enemies and camp them out and position yourself. Flight is literally the bare minimum Lost needed to be a playable challenge at all. Without that he would've been next-to-impossible.

Keeper is slow as gently caress and can't out-maneuver enemies by default, so even if you have Swallowed Penny, a tight room with a lot of enemies who trail you is way tougher than it needs to be. I feel like, if they gave Keeper seriously just ONE more coin container and kept everything else about him the same, his mechanic would work so much better and make him fun. While he's not anywhere near as bullshit as RB Lost, it's certainly a similar level of tedium. Keeper is definitely a character much like old Lost where resetting ad nauseum to get a good start is completely necessary.

I'll say this though, forcing myself to beat The Chest on Hard with Keeper and achieving a -215 death streak in the process powered me up considerably and made me a loving monster at this game.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Nov 27, 2015

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Dr. Fetus posted:

I only ran into Sticky Nickels before I unlocked them, so :nicalis: I guess

Zo posted:

If you get any tear up items, that is.

His base speed is so low that if you don't get the items to make him an engine of destruction then you're more likely to take damage because it's more difficult to dodge, and then you die.

Meanwhile now for the Lost my #1 item to get on the first floor is "Any Activated Item" because being an idiot and activating the D4 by accident kills the run.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
The Keeper needs one more coin heart and for that third coin heart to not count as red heart damage.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure i now know what the Golden Horse Shoe trinket does.

It basically gives you a poor man's More Options effect: it increases your chance for Item Rooms with 2 items to choose from.
Base chance for a 2x Item Room to be generated seems to be 1%, if you have the GHS, you have an additional 15% chance, or 30% with Mom's Locket Box.
The chance for a 2x Item Room is calculated on entering the floor, though, so you have to carry it with you to the next floor if you want it to count.

More Options works slightly differently in that it's checked when entering the Item Room for the first time, so you can "override" a normal item room into a double one by buying More Options before entering the Item Room.

edit: derp

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 27, 2015

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Just got Spider Mod for the first time. Really cool, but kind of a waste as an item, isn't it? Because now i want it all the time...

e: why does ultra greed take so little damage?

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Nov 27, 2015

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

AbstractNapper posted:

Does the percentage for breaking the greed machine always start from 0% even if playing with the same character for subsequent runs?

It starts at the same it was last time, or it should. Currently each penny only raises the jam percentage by a fraction of one percent, though, so it takes a while before it shows anything other than 0% jam rate.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I only ran into Sticky Nickels before I unlocked them, so :nicalis: I guess

Was it on a daily? Dailies don't give a gently caress what you have unlocked or not.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

senrath posted:

Was it on a daily? Dailies don't give a gently caress what you have unlocked or not.

Greed mode

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
3 gambling machines with high luck, all blow up with no dollar. Should I be doing this on normal or something?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Jusupov posted:

3 gambling machines with high luck, all blow up with no dollar. Should I be doing this on normal or something?

Luck doesn't affect them, just the luck foot. And hard mode eats half your winnings.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

senrath posted:

It starts at the same it was last time, or it should. Currently each penny only raises the jam percentage by a fraction of one percent, though, so it takes a while before it shows anything other than 0% jam rate.

I've made an effort to start Greed runs with different characters since the patch that introduced the jam percentage, and it always started from 0% for each new character run (despite having been raised to 1% or 2% before jamming in a previous run with some other character).
I don't think I have yet repeated any of the characters to see if the percentage persists per character (I kind of though that this was the case), and I am not going to play The Lost before unlocking the Holy Mantle for him (which I am about 200 coins away from). I'll probably be trying repeated runs during the weekend.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

AbstractNapper posted:

if the percentage persists per character

It does

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
The jam percentage rises by 0.023% each time you donate a coin.

HenryEx posted:

Pretty sure i now know what the Golden Horse Shoe trinket does.

It basically gives you a poor man's More Options effect: it increases your chance for Item Rooms with 2 items to choose from.
Base chance for a 2x Item Room to be generated seems to be 1%, if you have the GHS, you have an additional 15% chance, or 30% with Mom's Locket.
The chance for a 2x Item Room is calculated on entering the floor, though, so you have to carry it with you to the next floor if you want it to count.

More Options works slightly differently in that it's checked when entering the Item Room for the first time, so you can "override" a normal item room into a double one by buying More Options before entering the Item Room.

:geno: That's incredibly lackluster if that's true. I mean I like More Options and Even More Options as an item, but a 15% chance to trigger those? I'd rather have a different trinket in most cases.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Ariong posted:

Did you import a save? That might be the problem. Which post-it slots are filled in?

None on Lillith.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Volt Catfish posted:

Just got Spider Mod for the first time. Really cool, but kind of a waste as an item, isn't it? Because now i want it all the time...

e: why does ultra greed take so little damage?

It's actually not that bad if you have a good spacebar item. In addition to randomly applying status ailments to enemies it touches, Spider Mod will randomly drop batteries.

And Ultra Greed has scaling armor, which reduces the damage you do based on how much damage you're doing. It used to be worse than it is now.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

However if your build is broken enough you can burn through all of Ultra Greed's health before the armour kicks in and kill him quickly, which is just what happened for me. Thanks to 2 of Diamonds + Blank Card + Chaos + shops with batteries in them I ended up with some stupid build involving Tech X, Chocolate Milk, all the alternate forms and most of the damage up items in the game including Purity. Most waves lasted about 1 or 2 shots, including Ultra Greed himself.

Unfortunately the Greed Machine jammed after about 50 coins, I still had a couple of hundred left to put in :(

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Zo posted:

I had a lost run yesterday where i had dads key and brimstone by basement 2. I was steamrolling everything. Even took a boss rush item (you can dads key out of the room without having to use the exit game exploit).

Only problem was i didn't get a SINGLE damage up the ENTIRE run and eventually died to isaac. Rip.

Still, the lost is super fun now so i don't even mind.

On the note of the exit game exploit, I tried it once (on what ended up being my Hush lost run) and it didn't work, re-entering the game just started up the boss rush again. I had a bunch of damage up and brimstone and annihilated everything in like 2-3 shots, but still.

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
I had some serious luck, finding a Bursting Sack showing up as a random spawn in the middle of a big room full of spiders. Bursting Sack is cool because unlike flies, spiders never stop showing up.

I still kind of wish there was a Spider Boy transformation.

Meat Miracle
Oct 24, 2010
Welp, D4ing into tractor beam, marked and my reflection with some kind of super rapid cluster IPECAC was probably the funniest way to cap off a broken as gently caress greed mode I've ever seen.

(It causes you to uncontrollably shoot an endless deluge of literally undodgeable explosive boomerangs. The concussive force of the explosions was so great that it could rocket me backwards across the entire length of the greed mode shop in a fraction of a second and pin me against the wall, incapable of moving by any means other than laboriously dragging the targeting reticle across the room to reverse the direction of the explosive force. Cue a frantic struggle to aim the nigh uncontrollable missile that was once my body towards a battery in the desperate hopes of rerolling into literally anything else before I ran out of health. It didn't pan out, RIP me.)

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Bursting Sack should have been in the drat game since Wrath of the Lamb.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Haha, I just had the luckiest bad-start Eden run ever. I started with no damage, okay speed and Placebo. My first four or five items were very bad, and thankfully I lucked into Tough Love and a Luck Up pill around Caves 1. I boosted my luck every four floors until I was guaranteed teeth shots every single tear I used, so now I had mediocre damage heading into the last floor of Depths, and a ton of cash, which gave me an Even More Options. But I wanted to do Hush and I'm bad (plus I had five minutes to clear four floors), this setup was pretty bleh...until Depths 1 gave me Holy Shot and Depths 2 gave me Monstro's Lung. Holy poo poo. I cleared everything in four minutes, got to the Blue Womb and figured that well, four red hearts and two soul hearts would be enough to get me through, but I'd cut it close...

...nevermind, Fire Mind and Pyromaniac showed up in the item rooms. Hahahaha. Every tear salvo was a mass of exploding divine teeth that HEALED me. Then, just to add insult to injury, the game gave me at the Dark Room every single bomb item, including Tear Bombs and the bombs that explode into more bombs. I didn't even fire a shot for the last ten rooms, I just held down the bomb button and laughed.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I hate this game.

Also PRO HOT TIP: never take pills as Keeper. You will never get the Tears Up. Actually, never take pills on any character unless they give you the PhD for free.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Ruined a great breaking run on keeper by having first 9 lives, then collar and finally a lazarus rags. Foolishly picked up abaddon in a shop not realizing it would kill me. All would be fine except it respawned me as lazarus. Which was my 11th life and second to last picked up item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

If you're trying to complete a run as a character it seems to make sense to not pick up items that only do something that you don't want to happen (in this case the Lazarus rags).

Got another bug earlier: had the 9 Volt and the Battery, and after I picked up a 1 charge item (and put it down again) my 6 charge item wouldn't overcharge past the first square.