Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Wait a minute? Is regrowth not on Technic? gently caress FTB forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
Neither is obscurity and a bunch of other HQM packs.

It's only a launcher, you can use both. No need to pick a side.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Download it with the FTB launcher, throw it into a multimc instance. :getin:

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Well, I'm a ghost. I scare people. It's all very important, I assure you.

Glory of Arioch posted:

Super Crafting Frame is another one of those mods that warrants inclusion in basically every mod pack, too. Regrowth really won me over with super crafting frame for filling lava buckets -- have a bucket in your inventory, and slap a crafting frame on the side of a chest or drawer with your essence of fire. Right click, receive lava bucket. It was also a godsend for those loving weak essence items that had to be continually crafted together with different infusion stones; I just slapped four frames around a chest, dropped the infusion stones into that chest, and shift-right clicked on four different frames to compress all the weak essence I had into the most compact form available. Same for making cakes (seems like everything in Regrowth uses runes of winter.)

Oh man, I had no idea the crafting frames could pull from an attached inventory. I made a frame to combine the essences but I couldn't shift-click to craft a whole stack because the stone popped out of my inventory after the first craft. Instead I made a Worktable or whatever it is that stores up to 9 crafting recipes to crank them out.

Now that I'm getting into some of the more mechanical mods I'm reminded how much I don't care for BC pipes. So finicky and cumbersome compared to mods like TE, and I hate the redstone engines you need to plop on every extraction pipe.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
re: iron chests chat

I really liked having bigger chests and I would probably rather tear out my hair than set up 40 drawers/barrels in order to not have 10 different chests before I got my ME network set up. Figured my perspective would be worth something since I am apparently the exact target audience of BFSR.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
If it matters, I have not been feeling it yet with StorageDrawers, but I do not think I have given it enough time. It seems like 1.7.10 has more mods tha abscond GUIs for direct world interaction. It means you have to make larger bases, for one thing.

Honestly, TE could have something like an iron chest and that would be it for iron chests. Actually, do strongboxes do it? Not sarcastic here. I did not see anybody pushing the diamond chests. It looks the only one people really like are the actual iron chests.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The strongboxes are moderately more expensive for less inventory space. The base tier is good and cheap, perfect for acting as a node in logistics but not great for storing Actual Items in it. Enderium tier is good but you would likely have alternative storage choices that are better for long-term.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

If it matters, I have not been feeling it yet with StorageDrawers, but I do not think I have given it enough time. It seems like 1.7.10 has more mods tha abscond GUIs for direct world interaction. It means you have to make larger bases, for one thing.

Honestly, TE could have something like an iron chest and that would be it for iron chests. Actually, do strongboxes do it? Not sarcastic here. I did not see anybody pushing the diamond chests. It looks the only one people really like are the actual iron chests.

Storage Drawers really come into their own when you attach a Drawer Controller. Also, if you use nothing else, store metals/coal in Compacting Drawers, they are the bomb dot com.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Taffer posted:

^^^ Never used that one, sounds pretty neat, I'll have to check it out.

Le Gasp! Is this a sign of a new Taffer server coming out! Or maybe Half Life 3! (I kid, but I should mention that I do love your servers man, such well made and stable modpacks).

On the topic of Iron Chests, I don't see why everyone's so upset about it. It's a cheap (in so many ways) chest mod. If you don't like it, don't use it, it just adds a handful of chests made entirely out of vanilla components and doesn't add a bajillion internal components to make said chests. Meanwhile other people on the server won't mind sacrificing a dash of iron or copper here or there for a little early game storage sanity.

And it's so much better than that other chest mod that costs an entire metal block and 4 ingots to give a chest something like 12 or 16 total more slots no matter what metal you use.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I have actually disliked barrel mods from the beginning, and tend to only use them for bulk storage of things that I produce in mass, like wood or cobble. Using them as my main storage tends to drive me crazy and leads to instant switch to an ME system.

Not tried drawers, although they look to be barrels but better.

I like iron chests mainly because it eliminates the need to have spaces between chests (not to mention that multi block chests are coded terribly and many mods can only use half of them unless they hack in support for it, which most COFH mods refuse to do).

Thanks for answering though, it honestly seems like the reasons I like it are the reasons people dislike it, it's simple nature, haha.

Also, strongboxes are great if you have TE but not Iron Chests

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009
so, i'm starting up Obscurity and it certainly is a thing. Does anyone have suggestions for making a safeish area to start from when i'm running into things like Blizzes camping the edge of my interdiction torch? I'm not missing anything obvious near the machine that holds the Emergency Supply chest, am i? Going down the hole is nothing but doom.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Dig hole, hide in hole. This will also work for virtually any other "hard mode" modpack.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

Dig hole, hide in hole. This will also work for virtually any other "hard mode" modpack.

Digging the hole directly under the starting tower works even better, especially if you steal the dark ethereal glass from the exit of the spawn tower and put it over your hole for more freedom in placing your interdiction torch - dark ethereal glass is solid to mobs and projectiles but not players.

My base is pretty much a tiny room with a single compact cube and a chicken farm (since i hear they are buggy in compact cubes). Once you get a compact cube big enough to actually start building in (not the crappy small/very small ones), and I got one really early from a quest bag, you can build a big sprawling base that only takes up a single block in the main world (so you don't have to bother slabbing everything to prevent monster spawns). There's a loading screen when entering and exiting the first cube, but cubes inside of cubes are essentially instant teleporters, and they can transmit power/items/AE/liquids through the sides of their block. Just remember to use diamonds on compact cubes before trying to pick them up if you care about the contents (the diamond upgrade makes it so the insides of the cube aren't ejected when you pick it up) It's all convenient and safe enough that obscurity quickly lost a whole lot of its danger once i got a few good cubes.

I haven't seen a real need for a magnum torch yet despite quests pushing toward it, it's a pretty expensive way to make it so monsters can't spawn in your base when cubes are so much more convenient.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

What are the go-to mods for ops/admins? I know about Opis, but I'm wondering what else I should add into the admin pack for my server?

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
I think you can enchant strongboxes and satchels for more storage size, but enchanting is not a reliable method of storage

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

neogeo0823 posted:

What are the go-to mods for ops/admins? I know about Opis, but I'm wondering what else I should add into the admin pack for my server?

cauldron which allows you to use bukkit mods. Then get worldedit and worldborder, they are The Best

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...

Blind Duke posted:

I think you can enchant strongboxes and satchels for more storage size, but enchanting is not a reliable method of storage

It is in this case. Fairly reliable, at least. Strongboxes are only eligible for the Holding enchantment, which increases storage by one row per level of enchant. You can very easily make a hardened strongbox (3 rows) and about 5 levels will usually get at least Holding II, which gives you a 5-row chest that can be easily picked up and placed at your discretion. It keeps enchantments if you later upgrade it to Reinforced and Resonant (Reinforced is pretty easy to do, too, giving you 6 rows).

A Holding IV Resonant Strongbox is 8 rows. Again, extremely easy to move, orient, and if you so choose, even lock. Holding IV doesn't require thirty levels, either.

(Everything here is true for Satchels as well, but with one less row.)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

What is Mariculture like, outside of the fish stuff? I know Regrowth has it in it, and I kinda want to play that again.

For that matter (showing my age here), what's Buildcraft like? I started playing around the time when TE was king of industry, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the old world of Buildcraft and IC2 and whatever else.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ciaphas posted:

What is Mariculture like, outside of the fish stuff? I know Regrowth has it in it, and I kinda want to play that again.

Imagine bees but worse

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

:stare:

Maybe I'll do Garden of Glass instead. Kinda wanna play something with a quest book, though.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Taffer posted:

Imagine bees but worse

Bees at very least you reach a point where you can just throw industry and redstone flux at the problem and FORCE a solution. But I can see ways it could be worse.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Serifina posted:

(Everything here is true for Satchels as well, but with one less row.)

...and there we go with a few more BFSR quests.

Bhodi pointed out a bunch of crap shows up initially as available in the quest book, even if most of it cannot be started for a long time. So I set up a few gates so they open up progressively.

Actually I just wanted to post a warning that if you start thinking up HQM quest name puns too much that it messes with your head. I had a dream we were playing a game of Resistance: Avalon, which is a social bluffing game for board game nights. It has a King Arthur theme, and it is customary in our group that the current team leader make up something for what the mission actually is--even though it has no tangible value in the game. In the dream, the first time I came up, I did:

"King Arthur wants to get a cheap, exotic ride, so we are going shopping at the used camel lot."

The second time around I came up with--this is a dream, remember:

"We have to do our routine evening crime patrols so everybody will be doing rounds of the night table."

I AM NOT NORMALLY LIKE THIS.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Bhodi pointed out a bunch of crap shows up initially as available in the quest book, even if most of it cannot be started for a long time. So I set up a few gates so they open up progressively.

Actually I just wanted to post a warning that if you start thinking up HQM quest name puns too much that it messes with your head. I had a dream we were playing a game of Resistance: Avalon, which is a social bluffing game for board game nights. It has a King Arthur theme, and it is customary in our group that the current team leader make up something for what the mission actually is--even though it has no tangible value in the game. In the dream, the first time I came up, I did:

"King Arthur wants to get a cheap, exotic ride, so we are going shopping at the used camel lot."

The second time around I came up with--this is a dream, remember:

"We have to do our routine evening crime patrols so everybody will be doing rounds of the night table."

I AM NOT NORMALLY LIKE THIS.

So what you are saying is that it is making you an objectively better human being?

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

For that matter (showing my age here), what's Buildcraft like? I started playing around the time when TE was king of industry, so I'm totally unfamiliar with the old world of Buildcraft and IC2 and whatever else.

Mariculture's industry stuff is fairly complicated, but relatively tame. The fish stuff is well-separated from the industry stuff, and the industry stuff is what gates the pack, so you can more or less ignore the fish stuff.

Buildcraft is basically a crappier thermal expansion. The pipes are irritating, the generators are awful and require babysitting, the machines are fairly opaque and have weird failure conditions, and all the mechanics are basically designed to be as awful for performance as possible. Thermal Expansion was basically created to supplant Buildcraft and drag everyone kicking and screaming into a new age, where machines were useful and power was both server-friendly and not awful to use.

An example: With TE, in order to extract items from an inventory, you use an itemduct and slap a servo on it. With buildcraft, you use a wooden pipe. However, the wooden pipe has to be powered in order to work, so you need a wooden engine, and then you need a redstone signal to turn the engine on. Three blocks to do a thing instead of one. You can eventually compact this into a "gate" (BC's version of servos) but this involves a bunch of machines that are very expensive (in Regrowth.)

At least, as near as I can tell, stuff doesn't explode any more. Buildcraft's higher-tier stuff (combustion engines, power pipes) used to explode if it got too hot. This would happen basically at random, especially if you dared to set up a water pump in a different chunk than the engines it was feeding.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
I agree with everything Glory said of Buildcraft... but still think it's fun. Think of it as BC pipes being analog and TE ducts as digital. Setting up the BC ones can be fun. Iron pipes to direct stuff, diamonds to filter, obsidian to void, gold to speed up, clay to insert... I think it's neat. Sometimes.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Nick Esasky posted:

so, i'm starting up Obscurity and it certainly is a thing. Does anyone have suggestions for making a safeish area to start from when i'm running into things like Blizzes camping the edge of my interdiction torch? I'm not missing anything obvious near the machine that holds the Emergency Supply chest, am i? Going down the hole is nothing but doom.
I wrote up a big tip list for obscurity here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718099&pagenumber=129&perpage=40#post452849318 and I just updated it with new stuff I learned.

You CAN have a chicken farm but you have to pull all items out. If the farmer block ever gets full and it ejects an item into the world (like if you have a hopper inserting eggs or whatever into it in a feedback loop and aren't pulling the items out of the cube, that's when the thing can bug out. Here's what happens:

Farmer is full. Hopper inserts the final egg. Egg gets duped, two eggs pop out into the real world. The hopper picks them up, puts them back into the farmer, and it's still full so it ejects four. And then eight. sixteen. and on and on and within seconds game crashes.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Well, guess that settles the chicken/egg question in the Minecraft universe. :v:

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Sage Grimm posted:

Well, guess that settles the chicken/egg question in the Minecraft universe. :v:
Specific acts of divine (egg) creation. Praise duper, the dupe god, he who brings plenty from nothing!

bigperm posted:

I agree with everything Glory said of Buildcraft... but still think it's fun. Think of it as BC pipes being analog and TE ducts as digital. Setting up the BC ones can be fun. Iron pipes to direct stuff, diamonds to filter, obsidian to void, gold to speed up, clay to insert... I think it's neat. Sometimes.
It can be kind of fun, and I found the concepts much easier to grasp (no gui, just use a wooden to pull items out) but another downside is that it's absolutely MURDER on servers. I remember people wanting only opaque ducts. I don't know if that's still the case! I actually like the ender io ones even better for casual uses, because you don't have to mess with servos, they pull out items faster and they move more items at a time in the 'basic' tier.

Question for those who know ender io - is there a way to configure input-output of without actually being able to see the side of the block you're attaching it to? I'm in a compact cube so I can slip the pipe underneath a block but I can't physically get underneath to click on the cube facing. I can use the wrench to adjust flow direction, but not to enable 'always on / on with no signal'.

Bhodi fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Nov 27, 2015

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I have a question: will this cause issues for existing worlds?

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

I would find BC pipes much less irritating if they let you directly control what pipes connect to what instead of having to use different materials to manage connections, which don't always have the specific rules you want. For example in Regrowth I want to have a chest I can dump all my harvested essences into and then a pipe system to automatically store them in a wall of drawers I have set up. I need to use clay pipes to make sure the essences always enter the storage instead of continuing through the sorting system, but clay pipes connect to adjacent clay pipes. That means I can't make a 2- or 3-high by x-long wall of drawers because it's possible for the item's random pathing to take an extremely long time to find the right storage drawer. Whereas if I could manage connections manually, I could easily set up a route that prevents loops and quickly hits every drawer in sequence.

That, and extraction pipes requiring 3 blocks instead of 1 (and possibly interfering with other redstone), item sorting requiring diamond pipes (which takes quite a while to get to the point where you can even start to mine)...just give me TE ducts any day.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Mr. Peepers posted:

I would find BC pipes much less irritating if they let you directly control what pipes connect to what instead of having to use different materials to manage connections, which don't always have the specific rules you want.

http://ftbwiki.org/Pipe_Plug

These let you cap off pipes you don't want to connect.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Does anybody know how the quest mode packs are setting up custom worlds with keepInventory=true? I wanted to set up a safe spot for initial spawning before they get heaved into the overworld. Bonus points if the overworld is randomly-generated based on their specified seed. I'm pondering an RFTools dimension, but I don't know what I'd use to warp them back to the overworld spawn of a dynamically-generated overworld.

taiyoko posted:

I have a question: will this cause issues for existing worlds?

Apparently not. I have been live-editing these just fine. I have been appending quests, which I have not seen do anything bad to existing games yet. The quest gates are just so a new player isn't bombarded with 50+ available quests when they first enter the world. They will soon after. Say, a bunch of crap opens up as soon as they gather a bunch of wood, and most of the original 50+ are open by the time they get iron. It would be impossible for any player to accomplish the other quests in the chain first without doing the pre-requisite unless they are literally cheating in the exact items.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

http://ftbwiki.org/Pipe_Plug

These let you cap off pipes you don't want to connect.

Why the hell does this require an Assembly Table to build.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Mr. Peepers posted:

I would find BC pipes much less irritating if they let you directly control what pipes connect to what instead of having to use different materials to manage connections, which don't always have the specific rules you want. For example in Regrowth I want to have a chest I can dump all my harvested essences into and then a pipe system to automatically store them in a wall of drawers I have set up. I need to use clay pipes to make sure the essences always enter the storage instead of continuing through the sorting system, but clay pipes connect to adjacent clay pipes. That means I can't make a 2- or 3-high by x-long wall of drawers because it's possible for the item's random pathing to take an extremely long time to find the right storage drawer. Whereas if I could manage connections manually, I could easily set up a route that prevents loops and quickly hits every drawer in sequence.

That, and extraction pipes requiring 3 blocks instead of 1 (and possibly interfering with other redstone), item sorting requiring diamond pipes (which takes quite a while to get to the point where you can even start to mine)...just give me TE ducts any day.

Make a Drawer Controller and just run a single pipe straight into it. It will automagically distribute any items into their appropriate drawers. (Use controller slaves if you need more than one access port; it's better for performance.)

(this is kinda hard to see because of my hilarious bank of crafty crates automatically assembling farmed essences but it should give you the right idea)

You can create autarchic gates with lasers, the assembly table, and the integration table.

(you don't HAVE to have this many lasers)

Make a redstone chipset in the assembly table with one redstone, and make a pair of pulsating chipsets with a single ender pearl and another redstone dust. Put a chest next to the assembly table or it'll poo poo out items into the world.

(you don't need those pipe wires; i was just too lazy to take them out for the screenshots)

Take the redstone chipset and put it back into the assembly table, and make a basic gate.

Then, take your gate and a pulsating chipset and put them into the integration table; gate in the center, pulsating chipset on top.

This will make an autarchic gate. You can slap this on any wooden pipe, and configure it to power the wooden pipe by setting it to Energy Pulser when the redstone signal is off.

Nick Esasky
Nov 10, 2009

Mr. Peepers posted:

you can sorta get around this problem by slapping a drawer controller into your wall of drawers and piping everything into that. It'll automatically send anything you pipe into it to the right drawers that're connected to it, and i think it'll even send things to empty drawers if theres no room in existing marked drawers or they're full.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

Nick Esasky posted:

you can sorta get around this problem by slapping a drawer controller into your wall of drawers and piping everything into that. It'll automatically send anything you pipe into it to the right drawers that're connected to it, and i think it'll even send things to empty drawers if theres no room in existing marked drawers or they're full.

This is what I'm working towards, but the recipe required redstone or something that I didn't have access to at the time I was setting up my storage space.

I appreciate the effort post but this is end-game levels of infrastructure to accomplish something TE servos let you do with the most basic model right out the gate. Personally, I just don't feel laying out a fairly basic item storage system should require so much work.

Peepers fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 27, 2015

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I just had an idea of making a BFSR starter world with interactive exhibits so new players can just see most of the things in action. This could include half-completed machines and the like. I wanted to try to set up a server to collaboratively build this, but how would I then take the final result and include it in a modpack?

For that matter, is anybody up for hosting a project like that for a little bit?

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference

Mr. Peepers posted:

Why the hell does this require an Assembly Table to build.

I guess they assume if you are using BC, you are going to build one. If you have and use BC without ever making one (it's not hard to make), you are really missing out on some stuff, and the mod seems even more useless.

Peepers
Mar 11, 2005

bigperm posted:

I guess they assume if you are using BC, you are going to build one. If you have and use BC without ever making one (it's not hard to make), you are really missing out on some stuff, and the mod seems even more useless.

In BC's defense I am complaining about it in the context of Regrowth, where the skewed tech and material progression causes some wonky issues, like diamond and redstone requiring railcraft steel to be able to be gathered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I just had an idea of making a BFSR starter world with interactive exhibits so new players can just see most of the things in action. This could include half-completed machines and the like. I wanted to try to set up a server to collaboratively build this, but how would I then take the final result and include it in a modpack?

For that matter, is anybody up for hosting a project like that for a little bit?

You can run a server, then take out the map from the server and plug it right into a single-player world by copying and pasting the folder to the right place. As long as the same mods/configs are being used, it's all good.