Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KO Derf
Jan 14, 2003

Doctor Rope

kingcom posted:

I guess i've just been using biggs enough to default to him but gently caress it, lets go all in aggressive:

https://geordanr.github.io/xwing/?f=Rebel%20Alliance&d=v3!s!0:18,-1,148:-1:20:;175:-1,-1,78,-1:-1:15:;82:27,-1,-1:-1:-1:
Then you might want to think about dropping Autothrusters on Poe and putting VI and IA on him, then adding a R2-Astro and IA to Wes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

Strobe's first XXX list used Luke + R2-D2 as his third alongside Wedge and Wes, and what I found is that while Luke could certainly outlast the other two, he didn't carry enough offensive threat to seal the deal even after Wedge and Wes tore poo poo up. They would die early and Luke would often be hard pressed even with his defensive capabilities to handle things on his own. I have a feeling it might be the same with Biggs in his shoes except even worse because once Biggs is on his own he's really no more special than a Rookie Pilot while Luke at least has an ability he can lean on even if he's not taking green maneuvers.

I haven't flown with Biggs, but I thought the whole point to adding him to any list is that he is forced to be targeted over your other heavy hitters. So it should not come down to only Biggs, as he should be the first one dead.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Orvin posted:

I haven't flown with Biggs, but I thought the whole point to adding him to any list is that he is forced to be targeted over your other heavy hitters. So it should not come down to only Biggs, as he should be the first one dead.

If you can keep from getting knocked out of formation yeah, otherwise as soon as anyone has a clear shot that isn't impeded by Biggs I guarantee they're going to dump fire into one of the other two. That's honestly one reason I prefer Dutch as my third, because I can send him out to do his own poo poo and I don't have to care as much.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

KO Derf posted:

Then you might want to think about dropping Autothrusters on Poe and putting VI and IA on him, then adding a R2-Astro and IA to Wes.

Thanks for the suggestion, definitely going for that.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Strobe posted:

gently caress yeah X-wings. :black101:

Z-95s are cooler ships.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Panzeh posted:

Z-95s are cooler ships.

mods???

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Zs give you a lot for the points.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

BattleMaster posted:

Zs give you a lot for the points.

The only reason i ever use Zs is because Kath doesnt take up 100 points.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Did someone say X-Wings?

Wedge Antilles (29)
Predator (3)
BB-8 (2)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Janson (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R2-D2 (4)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Luke Skywalker (28)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Total: 100

:getin:

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Speaking of Zs, when you're using them as a mini-swarm of say, four, what do you all kit them out with, if anything? Since the two red dice really aren't that appealing, even if they have numbers on their side (since hey, at least TIE Fighters have three greens, which I would personally value over one extra 'HP'). Like, are there any rockets that go particularly well with them, while being relatively cheap? (Or even illicit upgrades - I hear feedback swarms go well in some situations, although naturally I don't think they'd last long after using the feedback array)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

Panzeh posted:

Z-95s are cooler ships.

gently caress this guy.

My next XXX list (XXX 2: Solving for X) is:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Major Isoor posted:

Speaking of Zs, when you're using them as a mini-swarm of say, four, what do you all kit them out with, if anything? Since the two red dice really aren't that appealing, even if they have numbers on their side (since hey, at least TIE Fighters have three greens, which I would personally value over one extra 'HP'). Like, are there any rockets that go particularly well with them, while being relatively cheap? (Or even illicit upgrades - I hear feedback swarms go well in some situations, although naturally I don't think they'd last long after using the feedback array)

You put nothing on them. That's what makes them points-efficient. Two red dice are the best you're going to get at that point value ad they'll push through plenty of damage on easy to hit targets and can even hurt aces if they can force a bump.

There's a reason why Tie Fighters and Z-95s sit at the top of the jousting efficiency charts.

Feedback is decent in the right situation. If I were to do a full-on Z swarm it would be a feedback one.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

Strobe posted:

gently caress this guy.

My next XXX list (XXX 2: Solving for X) is:

Wedge Antilles (29)
Opportunist (4)
R2 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Wes Jansen (29)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5 Astromech (1)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Poe Dameron (31)
Veteran Instincts (1)
R5-P9 (3)
Integrated Astromech (0)

Why r5 over r2 on Wes?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Major Isoor posted:

Nah, I take them purely as a dirt cheap way to get a blob of concentrated fire. Those two reds are not a lot but if you've already stripped a ship of tokens with something else it can slip some damage through, especially on fat low agility ships like a decimator or Falcon. Additionally you can block pretty solidly with a mini swarm.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hmm, ok then yeah fair enough; I hadn't taken token-stripping + concentrated fire into consideration (plus the greater odds of you rolling a hit/crit than them rolling an evade), so that does work out fairly well.
(Especially good value if you do what my dad did accidentally when I played X-Wing with him ages ago, which was to put Chardaan Refits on his Zs, so he had six for sixty points! :v: That'll teach me I suppose, for not paying close enough attention to what he was doing with his list)

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW

bunnyofdoom posted:

Why r5 over r2 on Wes?

Wes shouldn't be stressing himself if at all possible, and with an R5 you can flip direct hits or crits that require actions to otherwise fix and keep his offensive presence high. With an R5, you can conceivably negate three damage (flip a direct hit face down, discard another with IA), and I think that's more useful than greens on something that shouldn't be stressed anyway.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

That middle rear engine bothers me. Why would you have it there if you got a turret up top? It's like the main reason to have a turret to keep poo poo off your rear end. Also lol skis.

That's the SLAM.

imperialparadox
Apr 17, 2012

Don't tell me no one has told the girl she isn't exactly human!

Pyronic posted:

I've played some Boba/Guri and had a blast while doing it, do you remember how the two were upgraded?

I don't completely remember, but it was something like:

Boba with Slave I, VI, Mangler, EU, Gunner, Inertial Dampeners
Guri with Virago, PTL, Autothrusters, Advanced Sensors

I know I'm forgetting something because he was at 99 points.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Panzeh posted:

You put nothing on them. That's what makes them points-efficient. Two red dice are the best you're going to get at that point value ad they'll push through plenty of damage on easy to hit targets and can even hurt aces if they can force a bump.

There's a reason why Tie Fighters and Z-95s sit at the top of the jousting efficiency charts.

Feedback is decent in the right situation. If I were to do a full-on Z swarm it would be a feedback one.

I want to use the 4 spare points in my Kath and her crooks list for outfitting all of the Binayre Pirates with XX-23 S-Thread Tracers. Other than that I can't think of any missile worth taking on a generic Z.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I mean, there aren't many upgrades worth taking period on your cheap-as-chips blocker/swarm ships. Even TIE swarms usually don't go for Academy Pilots as opposed to Black Squadron Pilots for that EPT slot if they want upgraded ships.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Kai Tave posted:

I mean, there aren't many upgrades worth taking period on your cheap-as-chips blocker/swarm ships. Even TIE swarms usually don't go for Academy Pilots as opposed to Black Squadron Pilots for that EPT slot if they want upgraded ships.

With Crack Shot it's a reasonable option at this point.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

admanb posted:

With Crack Shot it's a reasonable option at this point.

But your baseline 12 point Z's/TIEs can't take Crack Shot is the thing, that's for Black Squad Pilots and ships on their level. Sure, if they could it'd be almost a no brainer, but if you're using the cheapest possible ships in the game then chances are you aren't looking to sink any points into upgrading them because either A). they can't take the upgrades you'd want them to or B). because are you really gonna waste the points giving Binayre Pirates missiles or Academy Pilots some Stealth Devices?

Up until now the only upgrade that's really been worth sticking on lowball ships like that has been sticking Feedback Arrays on cheap Scum Headhunters. Now Thread Tracers are coming out and might be a worthwhile inclusion for el cheapo Z's as well simply because it only costs a single point and can potentially create a situation where you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Kai Tave posted:

But your baseline 12 point Z's/TIEs can't take Crack Shot is the thing, that's for Black Squad Pilots and ships on their level. Sure, if they could it'd be almost a no brainer, but if you're using the cheapest possible ships in the game then chances are you aren't looking to sink any points into upgrading them because either A). they can't take the upgrades you'd want them to or B). because are you really gonna waste the points giving Binayre Pirates missiles or Academy Pilots some Stealth Devices?

Up until now the only upgrade that's really been worth sticking on lowball ships like that has been sticking Feedback Arrays on cheap Scum Headhunters. Now Thread Tracers are coming out and might be a worthwhile inclusion for el cheapo Z's as well simply because it only costs a single point and can potentially create a situation where you get a lot of bang for your buck.

Yeah, when you're taking a crack swarm you're doing something different from other swarm ships. I saw a pretty good crackshot swarm at world on twitch that was five crackshot black squads, an obsidian squad, and an academy.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I feel like five is enough by itself; I'd rather spend the rest on something with one on one bite and maneuverability, like a Royal Guard Interceptor with PTL, or Howlrunner with PTL and a Shield Upgrade or something.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

What works for stripping the factory paint to repaint x-wing minis?

Internet says Dettol, but that's isn't readily available in the US.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/11/27/swarm-tactics/

So uh.. interesting stuff there. Not sure they'll change tie swarms much, though.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

Floppychop posted:

What works for stripping the factory paint to repaint x-wing minis?

Internet says Dettol, but that's isn't readily available in the US.

Don't bother and just paint over it. The factory paint isn't coming off with anything approaching ease.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Do some of those combos they listed change the mathematics on expose? I've never really thought about the idea of multiple ships carrying the card at once but it is attractive - especially if you can still get focus tokens with fleet officer or that new TIE Chaser's ability.

That and having Predator plus Expose on some of the TIE aces that can add attack die in certain scenarios sounds pretty cool too. Honestly the sample builds they listed all sound fun to fly - I'm much more partial to a 5-6 TIE swarm vs how ungainly a full size swarm is to fly.

edit WAIT much more importantly, does this make a TIE Fighter equipped with only Experimental Interface actually make sense??? Brilliant!!

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 17:47 on Nov 27, 2015

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Panzeh posted:

So uh.. interesting stuff there. Not sure they'll change tie swarms much, though.

Show me Ghost goddamnit I want to know whether Ghost/Phantom/Poe sounds like something I want to play.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

Give howlrunner VI and Youngster Swarm Tactics and with 5 academy pilots you've got a swarm of 7, shooting at PS 10 with reroll ... (with 4 points left over for defence on howlrunner)

That seems huge?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
I'm pretty sure Youngster's ability only affects cards with the Action: header, so Expose, Daredevil, Marksmanship, Expert Handling, & Squad Leader

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

hoiyes posted:

Give howlrunner VI and Youngster Swarm Tactics and with 5 academy pilots you've got a swarm of 7, shooting at PS 10 with reroll ... (with 4 points left over for defence on howlrunner)

That seems huge?

It's not an action. So that leaves you with Squad Leader, Marksmanship, or Expose.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Would that include PTL?

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
Maybe Expert Handling might be useful? Giving an entire squadron the ability to break target lock seems like it could be cool occasionally, plus it's a cheaper card than most. Still - having to perform unwanted barrel rolls is probably pretty sub-optimal.

I really like the idea of say Mauler Mithel with Predator and Experimental Interface paired with Youngster and Expose. And maybe Howlrunner for more jokes. get into range 1 with Mithel on a lower PS ship, Focus, trigger EI for Expose and then throw 5 dice at an enemy with the ability to reroll 1-2 of them with Pred/Howl & a focus token.

That or Omega Ace with Opportunist or something at range 1? Focus to EI to Expose with a TL from a previous round, or with thread tracers on another ship or one of the other ton of ways to have a free TL and then throw 5 guaranteed crits at a target? Seems hilarious. Edit - ahh doesn't work due to Opportunist failing with the stress from EI. Unless maybe you pair with Epsilon Leader or a ship with Wingman? I admit this is getting convoluted and ridiculous, but throwing 4-5 guaranteed crits seems really absurd.

ZenMastaT fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 27, 2015

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

bunnyofdoom posted:

Would that include PTL?

No, just cards with the Action: header.

ZenMastaT posted:

Maybe Expert Handling might be useful? Giving an entire squadron the ability to break target lock seems like it could be cool occasionally, plus it's a cheaper card than most. Still - having to perform unwanted barrel rolls is probably pretty sub-optimal.

I really like the idea of say Mauler Mithel with Predator and Experimental Interface paired with Youngster and Expose. And maybe Howlrunner for more jokes. get into range 1 with Mithel on a lower PS ship, Focus, trigger EI for Expose and then throw 5 dice at an enemy with the ability to reroll 1-2 of them with Pred/Howl & a focus token.

That or Omega Ace with Opportunist or something at range 1? Focus to EI to Expose with a TL from a previous round, or with thread tracers on another ship or one of the other ton of ways to have a free TL and then throw 5 guaranteed crits at a target? Seems hilarious.

His ability is Tie Fighter only, not Tie/FO fighter. There is a way to make this kinda work by using squad leader on him to have academies shunt actions onto Omega Ace to get the TL/Focus, but you can only get 4 reds out of this at R1.

hoiyes
May 17, 2007

Panzeh posted:

It's not an action. So that leaves you with Squad Leader, Marksmanship, or Expose.

drat. Big yawn, then.

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off

Panzeh posted:

No, just cards with the Action: header.

His ability is Tie Fighter only, not Tie/FO fighter. There is a way to make this kinda work by using squad leader on him to have academies shunt actions onto Omega Ace to get the TL/Focus, but you can only get 4 reds out of this at R1.

Dang another good point. Oh well, it was a funny idea at least lol

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

ZenMastaT posted:

edit WAIT much more importantly, does this make a TIE Fighter equipped with only Experimental Interface actually make sense??? Brilliant!!

I don't think so. Youngster says that nearby TIEs can perform the action on his EPT, not that his EPT is considered to be equipped by nearby TIEs.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I don't think so. Youngster says that nearby TIEs can perform the action on his EPT, not that his EPT is considered to be equipped by nearby TIEs.

I agree here. Experimental Interface lets you use an equipped upgrade card with the Action Header, but they don't HAVE an equipped upgrade card with the Action Header. Just the ability to use it. Sorry, naked EI still doesn't work.

It's not a total loss, though. Expose + Fleet Occifer is an interesting synergy, and I'll probably play it just to see how it rolls. Worse case scenario: it opens a rift in the space/time continuum and the entire visible universe gets pulled through into a parallel dimension where everyone has to listen to Hannah Montana on repeat forever ... you know what, nevermind, it's not worth the risk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMastaT
Apr 4, 2005

I dun shot my dick off
How about this idea:

Omicron Group + Palpatine (29)

Wampa (14)

Scourge + Swarm Tactics (19)

Lt. Colzet + TIE x/1 & ATC (24)

That allows Scourge to use swarm tactics to have Wampa fire first, Palpatine guarantees a crit which turns into a face down damage card on the target, granting Scourge the extra attack dice, then during the end phase Colzet spends the target lock he should be hanging onto from ATC to flip that card face up - then repeat if no one died somehow. It also leaves 14 points for upgrades or slipping in a Black Sqn pilot or something.

• Locked thread