Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Fallout 4: Just learned by accident than you can select everything connected to a thing by holding E/action to select it. You can move a whole building at once! :byodood:

I don't know if that should go here (great building tool) or PYF bad thing thread (I found this on hour 166 of playtime)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4: Just learned by accident than you can select everything connected to a thing by holding E/action to select it. You can move a whole building at once! :byodood:

This is pretty funny to do when it's something with multiple levels & settlers inside at the time.

Possibly at bit less funny if you're inside it when you do it.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

hitting the VATS key on the loading screen is what makes the models go all transparent vats-ey, it's not just random

Babe Magnet has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Nov 27, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
HATE REVIEWERS

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cleretic posted:

I don't think Bethesda bribes reviewers directly or indirectly (it's a lot harder to boycott a publication when you don't release nearly as prolifically as Ubisoft), although I wouldn't be necessarily surprised if they did.
With the insane amount of money they put into advertising every game, you doubt it?

I’d agree that their games have probably coasted (legitimately) mainly on ambition so far, though. Like, I really hated Oblivion, partially because of my expectations of it (and partially because I was 15 and looking to get mad I guess) and I still think it’s their worst game by a large margin, but I still couldn’t give it a terrible score or say it had no redeeming qualities if I were a professional reviewer, because they still deserve some credit for the scale and ambition of their games. That novelty has to wear off eventually, though, and the fact that they’re not actually very good at making games by any normal metric is going to show for it.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Guys I think Bethesda bribed Lunchmeat Larry. It's the only thing that makes sense.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

they'd certainly have to pay me to play their games :mrgw:

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
i just got a 3ds last night and picked up Pokemon: Alpha Sapphire. last one i've played was gold on GBC.

https://youtu.be/G60Jn8z7_b4?t=86

the opening looks like a pretty standard pokemon opening, but then the perspective shifts and you're actually looking at a screen that your player character is holding. up until the shift everything is a flat 2d but if the 3d mode is enabled once the screen is pulled away everything has depth.

this is probably in every 3ds pokemon so far, but i really liked that as a visual statement.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Cleretic posted:

Even if that is an organized ratings bomb on the user review side, you don't get this much thunder called down on you for no reason. At the very least, choices they made pissed off some very loud people.

A reminder that The Dark Knight is considered the 4th greatest movie of all time as voted by IMDB users because of a coordinated effort to not only upvote it, but to also drastically downvote higher rated movies so they'd fall below TDK.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Cleretic posted:

3. Even if that is an organized ratings bomb on the user review side, you don't get this much thunder called down on you for no reason. At the very least, choices they made pissed off some very loud people.

This is the Fallout fandom we're talking about. This is a thing that is going to happen regardless of the game Bethesda makes. Not that Fallout 4 doesn't have it's share of problems.

Geniasis posted:

Everything you need to know about the quality of a game, you can learn from how soon before release the review embargo lifts.

Maybe this used to be the case but launch day/day before seems to have become the standard regardless of the game's quality.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

sticklefifer posted:

A reminder that The Dark Knight is considered the 4th greatest movie of all time as voted by IMDB users because of a coordinated effort to not only upvote it, but to also drastically downvote higher rated movies so they'd fall below TDK.

Also Breaking Bad is #1 TV show because of a dedicated campaign to vote down The Wire, the previous #1 for years. I think almost all of its 0/10 reviews came immediately after the Breaking Bad finale (and in turn almost all of Breaking Bad's 0/10 reviews are after the review bombing in retaliation).

User reviews can get very silly. It might not be over literally nothing but it's close (because seriously, how many people involved do you think actually watched both?)

mycot has a new favorite as of 17:30 on Nov 27, 2015

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

in short, critic reviews from websites which advertise the products they are reviewing are 100% trustworthy, but bad user reviews almost always come from a shadowy cabal of people who Don't Like Things I Like and should be discarded.

(all reviews are bad)

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

in short, critic reviews from websites which advertise the products they are reviewing are 100% trustworthy, but bad user reviews almost always come from a shadowy cabal of people who Don't Like Things I Like and should be discarded.

(all reviews are bad)

It's not a secret though that people troll on the internet, these campaigns weren't private or anything.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycot posted:

It's not a secret though that people troll on the internet, these campaigns weren't private or anything.
Games journalists taking direct and indirect bribes isn’t a secret either :shrug:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Games journalists taking direct and indirect bribes isn’t a secret either :shrug:

When did I bring that up? All I wanted to do was share funny stories about internet review metagaming.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Boy these sure are some weird favourite little things in games.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

ShootaBoy posted:

I would have appreciated a Breaking Bad video game. Jesse could have been the new Superfly.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycot posted:

When did I bring that up? All I wanted to do was share funny stories about internet review metagaming.
fair enough, the conversation spun out of people being incredulous at the very idea of games journalists ever giving dishonest scores so I was still following that.

ShootaBoy posted:

GOLD FIVE, SWEATING WHILE WILDLY MANOUEVERING AROUND SOCIAL BOUNDARY FLAK CANNONS AND AVOIDING EYE CONTACT WITH THE PROTON TORPEDO GLARES OF FEMALE HUMANS, HOMING IN ON THE SAFE, COMFORTING TRENCH RUN OF AN EXTREMELY NARROW AND FIXED TOPIC OF CONVERSATION WHICH CANNOT BE DEVIATED FROM AT RISK OF ENGAGING IN SMALL TALK: Stay on topic …. Stay on topic…. Aaaaaaaaargh !!!!

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 17:43 on Nov 27, 2015

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

ShootaBoy posted:

My favorite little thing about games is that the only moral, correct reviews are the ones that agree with me.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

fair enough, the conversation spun out of people being incredulous at the very idea of games journalists ever giving dishonest scores so I was still following that.

GOLD FIVE, SWEATING WHILE WILDLY MANOUEVERING AROUND SOCIAL BOUNDARY FLAK CANNONS AND AVOIDING EYE CONTACT WITH THE PROTON TORPEDO GLARES OF FEMALE HUMANS, HOMING IN ON THE SAFE, COMFORTING TRENCH RUN OF AN EXTREMELY NARROW AND FIXED TOPIC OF CONVERSATION WHICH CANNOT BE DEVIATED FROM AT RISK OF ENGAGING IN SMALL TALK: Stay on topic …. Stay on topic…. Aaaaaaaaargh !!!!

There's an entire other thread for that sort of poo poo. You are literally posting the opposite of this thread right now.

FFXIV's latest content patch made it so you can ride other mounts while your companion chocobo is summoned, so I can finally ride my Magitek armour in to battle with Pete at my side.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
I always really loved some of the little touches in Anachronox. One of the best is that a hundred years prior to the game's start, every economy in the entire galaxy collapsed except Canada's, "because their money was already valueless". Now, the default currency of all places that still use cash is the Canadian dollar.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

Hell Gem

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Apparently that's legitimately difficult for you. :shrug:

My favorite little thing about Final Fantasy XIV is that it's the only MMO that came up with a limited mount that only becomes more awesome the more there is: The fat chocobo.

Exit Strategy posted:

I always really loved some of the little touches in Anachronox. One of the best is that a hundred years prior to the game's start, every economy in the entire galaxy collapsed except Canada's, "because their money was already valueless". Now, the default currency of all places that still use cash is the Canadian dollar.

A joke that's only funnier with time.

mycot has a new favorite as of 18:44 on Nov 27, 2015

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

You're trying way too hard to the point where I'm actually a little embarassed for you.

Meanwhile, one of my favorite little things in Terranigma (which takes place in a fictional version of our world, sort of) is the fact that you can find the HQ of the game's developer and chat with the people there. Amongst other things you learn where the inspiration for the game came from after saving the life of one of the devs.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

mycot posted:

Apparently that's legitimately difficult for you. :shrug:
It's true. I don't think I'm cut out for the Coldly Compiling Lists forum :( goodbye.

Lunchmeat Larry has a new favorite as of 19:02 on Nov 27, 2015

Douche Wolf 89
Dec 9, 2010

🍉🐺8️⃣9️⃣

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

It's true. I don't think I'm cut out for the Coldly Compiling Lists forum :( goodbye.

Games journalism argument, all-caps strawman post, acting like you're too cool for PYF. You are peak goon.

My favourite little thing in Fallout 4 right now is the death animations. While exploding heads and separated limbs are great, I love how every few headshots a supermutant will just stop dead in their tracks, fall to their knees and then faceplant. Really makes me feel like I've leveled up from when they'd 1-shot me with molotovs.

Also the tactile joy of opening a vault-tec lunchbox.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

Carmageddon: Reincarnation recently got a patch that makes it run a lot better so I caved in and got it.

I love the silly powerups.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uZnZF2pUb8c

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Douche Wolf 89 posted:

My favourite little thing in Fallout 4 right now is the death animations. While exploding heads and separated limbs are great, I love how every few headshots a supermutant will just stop dead in their tracks, fall to their knees and then faceplant. Really makes me feel like I've leveled up from when they'd 1-shot me with molotovs.

I like how human enemies dying in a hail of automatic weapons fire will do that dance you see in the movies where the bullets knock them around for a while before they fall over, or the time I killed a super mutant with a .308 round to the guts and he grasped his stomach, doubled over and took a few stumbling steps, then fell. It's such a big improvement over 3/NV, where the combat was so static.

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I like how human enemies dying in a hail of automatic weapons fire will do that dance you see in the movies where the bullets knock them around for a while before they fall over

Soldier of Fortune was good for things like this. You could make guys do the peepee dance with bullets, make their bodies convulse on the ground with your 100 slash per second knife, or blast all of their limbs off with a shotgun after they were already dead.

You know, all of the stuff your older self would look back on and say "what the hell was wrong with me" :stare:

owl_pellet
Nov 20, 2005

show your enemy
what you look like

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
FO4 I love how you can see the little Fatman nuke coming straight for your face before you die :allears:

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

There are different animations for different chairs. This one happened to make me look very disgusted with these people

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4 has four go-to talk options, with the 'top' choice being a question, the right being 'bad dude', bottom 'good dude', and left being neutral/sarcastic.

When you hit an arrow to skip dialog, you'll mumble something along the same lines. "What? Huh...?" for question, "Yes, go on" for 'good dude'

And the bad dude skips are hilarious and seem to be tuned to many specific characters. "If I have to talk to one more ghoul :argh:" "Nice hat, idiot" "Shut uuuuppp"

:staredog: I've only ever clicked to skip dialogue before which gives you a distantly condescending "uh-huh" or "mmhm" which is pretty great by itself, but now I'm never not using the arrows. I also need to get drunk if that changes your lines too.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
As someone who owns pets rats I really appreciate that Morrowind's giant rats make noises that are, if not actual recordings of rats, very close facsimiles of what they sound like when they're distressed since 90% of media gives rats really obnoxious fake ADR.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

On the other end of the spectrum vermintide's rats say "will stab-stab!" in silly rat voices and it owns

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

E: pocketposted

bawk has a new favorite as of 06:09 on Nov 28, 2015

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k

Evilreaver posted:

Fallout 4 has four go-to talk options, with the 'top' choice being a question, the right being 'bad dude', bottom 'good dude', and left being neutral/sarcastic.

When you hit an arrow to skip dialog, you'll mumble something along the same lines. "What? Huh...?" for question, "Yes, go on" for 'good dude'

And the bad dude skips are hilarious and seem to be tuned to many specific characters. "If I have to talk to one more ghoul :argh:" "Nice hat, idiot" "Shut uuuuppp"

This doesn't seem to work on ps4 unless I am confused :(

Never mind got it to work it's just barely audible.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 07:56 on Nov 28, 2015

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Killer7 is one of the best games ever.

I like how for no particular reason, Target 2: CLOUDMAN and Target 4: Alter Ego in Killer7 have a completely different visual style for cutscenes.

Normal:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDuOkQZMZQw

CLOUDMAN:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tj7aBVC1Vw

Alter Ego:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdE_mfTQ2ok

Alter Ego also foreshadows a twist. Handsome Red appears to be the leader of the Handsome Men, just like Harman Smith seems to be the leader of the Killer7. Garcian's counterpart is Handsome Pink. Garcian is the actual dominant personality of the Killer7, and Handsome Pink controls the Handsome Men.

There's also thematic stuff like how the dialogue is all in English with Japanese captions due to the east vs. west culture clash themes.

Tengames posted:

A goat (her sprite has small horns on it.)

as well as being a literal mother goat.

mycot posted:

In LISA: The Painful RPG, there is never a simple Yes/No menu. The prompts are different for each choice, and the "no" option is usually hilariously dickish.

Cuntellectual has a new favorite as of 07:49 on Nov 28, 2015

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Evilreaver posted:

How do you get these skip lines? What do you mean by bad dude? Do you mean for the character you're talking to?

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
Gravy Boat 2k

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

How do you get these skip lines? What do you mean by bad dude? Do you mean for the character you're talking to?

It's the right (direction) option so O on PS4 and B on Xbox and I assume right arrow on PC? When some dumbass is giving you their life story hit that button to skip their lines. Now that I got it to work she just went " blah blah blah...." At some dude.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Thin Privilege posted:

It's the right (direction) option so O on PS4 and B on Xbox and I assume right arrow on PC? When some dumbass is giving you their life story hit that button to skip their lines. Now that I got it to work she just went " blah blah blah...." At some dude.

Nick was talking to me and having a real soft moment with me during his loyalty mission and I pressed the rude skip button by accident and my character goes "heh nice hat". I just about pissed myself laughing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Persona 3 FES: So, the joke weapons. It's fun getting an encounter of five enemies all weak to pierce damage and then clowning them all with the toy bow that fires suction-cup arrows. :v: