Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Yeah it sucks for normal Muslims that they are expected to react against every act of Islamic terror, and then told that they didn't even though they did.

Nevertheless, I don't see how them not denouncing terrorism would be better than them denouncing it. You have to choose one situation out of these three:
1. Muslims denounce terrorism as being incompatible with their religious values
2. Christian or atheist western guys who probably never read a full page from the Koran pontificate about how terrorism is incompatible with the values of Islam
3. Nobody opposes the terrorists' argument that their interpretation of Islam is the only valid one

Sorry, but no amount of "Muslims don't owe me poo poo" will make me prefer situation 2 or 3 over situation 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah it sucks for normal Muslims that they are expected to react against every act of Islamic terror, and then told that they didn't even though they did.

Nevertheless, I don't see how them not denouncing terrorism would be better than them denouncing it. You have to choose one situation out of these three:
1. Muslims denounce terrorism as being incompatible with their religious values
2. Christian or atheist western guys who probably never read a full page from the Koran pontificate about how terrorism is incompatible with the values of Islam
3. Nobody opposes the terrorists' argument that their interpretation of Islam is the only valid one

Sorry, but no amount of "Muslims don't owe me poo poo" will make me prefer situation 2 or 3 over situation 1.

Having to routinely denounce it assumes a certain kind of responsibility for it. It continues the otherisation of Muslims across Western societies.

Doing so clearly has 0 impact because the media don't record it and because bumblefuck Islamophobes routinely ask 'Why aren't Muslims saying anything?'

This is not asked of any other group. Nobody asks Jews in the US, UK and France to loudly protest the murderous attack on Gaza.

Nobody asked American Christians to get out and protest when George Bush talked about being inspired by God.

No more.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hong XiuQuan posted:

This is not asked of any other group. Nobody asks Jews in the US, UK and France to loudly protest the murderous attack on Gaza.

Well it has nonetheless happened, though it is also underreported by the media. As a bonus they get to be called "self-hating Jews" for doing that, so things are cool.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

"Without justice for the Palestinians there will be no peace in the Middle East."

Cat Mattress posted:

Well it has nonetheless happened, though it is also underreported by the media. As a bonus they get to be called "self-hating Jews" for doing that, so things are cool.

Show me a single mass Jewish rally. Why are they not condemning en masse members of the Board of Deputies? Why are they not loudly and repeatedly protesting the Conservative Friends of Israel (or AIPAC)?

Do you not see the problems with the expectations of such?

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012
Honestly, I'm not sure what Muslims could say to appease the militant xenophobes. Other than "I believe Jesus Christ to be the son of G-d, and denounce the false faith of Mohammad as a deception by the tempter Satan, and pledge myself to Christendom. All Muslims who do not convert are devils daring the skin of men; pass the hairshirt, I've got some flagellation to atone for the acts of terrorists whom I supported by not immediately converting to Chistianity to get to." of course.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Wales Grey posted:

Honestly, I'm not sure what Muslims could say to appease the militant xenophobes. Other than "I believe Jesus Christ to be the son of G-d, and denounce the false faith of Mohammad as a deception by the tempter Satan, and pledge myself to Christendom. All Muslims who do not convert are devils daring the skin of men; pass the hairshirt, I've got some flagellation to atone for the acts of terrorists whom I supported by not immediately converting to Chistianity to get to." of course.

brown christians also get shat on by regressives so no

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Show me a single mass Jewish rally. Why are they not condemning en masse members of the Board of Deputies? Why are they not loudly and repeatedly protesting the Conservative Friends of Israel (or AIPAC)?

Do you not see the problems with the expectations of such?

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/news/1.645245
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/orthodox-jews-protest-israel-stance-iran-treaty-article-1.2321345
https://electronicintifada.net/content/young-jews-stage-die-boston-protest-israeli-war/6286

You can argue that it's not a mass rally because there are relatively few people.

Also it's a bit disingenuous to compare a legitimate government (legitimate in that it is recognized by international organizations such as the UN, and has formal diplomatic relationships with a large majority of countries) or even a lobbying group with a loose federation of terrorist groups.

blowfish posted:

Brown and black Christians are often assumed to be Muslims by racists anyway.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

blowfish posted:

Yeah I forgot about the

quote:

:qq: "Daesh are killing Christians in Syria! We need to bomb them!"
:ohdear: "We've been bombing them for like six months now, but we should do more to help! Let's take in some refugees!"
:qq: "And let stealth Muslims into our country? loving LIEberal DemocRAT trying to destroy MY America with your voter importing scheme! Next up you'll try to take my guns, just like Hitler!"
-style crocodile tears.

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

http://www.haaretz.com/jewish/news/1.645245
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/orthodox-jews-protest-israel-stance-iran-treaty-article-1.2321345
https://electronicintifada.net/content/young-jews-stage-die-boston-protest-israeli-war/6286

You can argue that it's not a mass rally because there are relatively few people.

Also it's a bit disingenuous to compare a legitimate government (legitimate in that it is recognized by international organizations such as the UN, and has formal diplomatic relationships with a large majority of countries) or even a lobbying group with a loose federation of terrorist groups.

No, it's comparing the response to atrocity. There's another layer of double standard. Christian and Jewish atrocities tend to be protected by a veneer of legitimacy. Even more reason to expect mass protests.

You've pointed to a rally by a kooky religious sect. Where's the Sandler protest? Why aren't hundereds of thousands of Jews on the streets?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Hong XiuQuan posted:

No, it's comparing the response to atrocity. There's another layer of double standard. Christian and Jewish atrocities tend to be protected by a veneer of legitimacy.

Yeah, sorry that the mainstream media aren't running a narrative of "Islam has the right to protect itself" to drown out every other voice whenever Daesh or Al Qaeda commits a terrorist act somewhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Your Dunkle Sans posted:

You're aware this already exists, right?

(At least for Shi'ia Islam in Iran)

Yes, it exists for a subset of the far less popular Islamic denomination. Sunnis don't give a poo poo.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

I hate yankees posted:

Islamaphobia stems from the fact that there is a silent majority of non-extremists. Anytime there is a terrorist attack there should be millions of Muslims marching and getting attention that this is not exceptable. Because this does not often occur the narrative that these kinds of practices (terrorism) is acceptable floats among westerners.

The argument that Muslims died in a terrorist attack is also silly because everyone knows that Sunni and Shia Muslims hate one another, and the assumption people make is that they're the "wrong" kind of Muslim according to the terrorist.

Another fear stemming from terrorism is that anyone - man, woman, or even a child - could be a terrorist. It is terrifying to think that someone could take advantage of a child in a such a way. This dehumanizes Muslims greatly because people no longer view them as "people", which is why I think there is a large backlash against the Syrian refugees.

There was also a survey done after the Charlie hebdo attacks that cited a large percentage of Muslims would not carry out a terrorist attack but sympathized and understood why the terrorist did what they did. The percentage is irrelevant because westerners see that as supporting terrorism.

There's also that whole shariah law thing, which anjem choudry doesn't help stem that very much.

I take it that when you say they are "not marching" you mean that they are not marching in your living room, and holding open your eyelids so you cannot smugly ignore it.

e: Jesus Christ every SINGLE time there is a terrorist attack in the west Syrians, who totally have nothing better to do, have massive social media campaigns with a bunch of people in besieged villages holding up hand-printed banners that say "we condemn this" :fuckoff:

Honj Steak
May 31, 2013

Hi there.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

By this metric ISIS is unislamic, because they do not adhere to the parctice of religion in Europe.

Hm? :confused:

I wanted to express that European right-wingers don't have any idea what they're talking about when they say they defend "judeo-christian values". It would be more like islamists who have never touched a Quran.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I hate yankees posted:

Islamaphobia stems from the fact that there is a silent majority of non-extremists. Anytime there is a terrorist attack there should be millions of Muslims marching and getting attention that this is not exceptable. Because this does not often occur the narrative that these kinds of practices (terrorism) is acceptable floats among westerners.

Flowers For Algeria posted:

Muslims don't owe you poo poo. They shouldn't have to march just for you or any Westerner to show that they don't support terrorist attacks, because it is already obvious to anyone who isn't terminally bigoted.
Did you march? No? Why, do you support the terrorists?

Its always a good practice to ignore what people SAY and pay attention to what people DO:

- Muslim terrorist kill innocents:
* Nothing to see here. Not a reason to demonstrate. Nobody owe you poo poo.

- Westerner draw mahoma:
* Lets go nuclear! Lets burn flags, shot in the air with ak-45, go!.

narrative: for the Muslim world, a drawing of a cartoon is much more important poo poo than human lives lost in a terrorist attack.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Its always a good practice to ignore what people SAY and pay attention to what people DO:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks computers parts. This is obviously not black and white. And hating a religion enterilly based on what one part do is very flawed.

You made a good reply there.

Can we change the subject from Islamophobia to Germanophobia?

I will start with a video and one line of text.

The line of text is:

Europe do what is best for Germany.

And the video is this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1v5QCGqDYGo

Tei fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 27, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Thanks computers parts. This is obviously not black and white. And hating a religion enterilly based on what one part do is very flawed.

Is this foggy-minded Ben Carson voter lingo for "I lied and slandered millions of people"?

Hong XiuQuan
Feb 19, 2008

Cat Mattress posted:

Yeah, sorry that the mainstream media aren't running a narrative of "Islam has the right to protect itself" to drown out every other voice whenever Daesh or Al Qaeda commits a terrorist act somewhere.

It would be pretty loving retarded if it did. Not sure the media is running that narrative for either Christianity or Judaism.

You have missed the point though, quite gloriously.

It's not so much that actions are to be seen as defensible. It's that indefensible actions don't taint people across the world who have nothing to do with it. This is why a Jewish guy in New York doesn't have to leap up from his chair and get his protestin' sign when he hears that a Palestinian child has been murdered.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I'll make sure to tell these guys that they don't have to do what they do.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cat Mattress posted:

I'll make sure to tell these guys that they don't have to do what they do.

Can you give a reason why you're so consistently ignoring the plain English sentences in Hong XiuQuan's posts in favor of ones you've made up? Are you, perhaps, suffering from a severe mental disability?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

Hong XiuQuan posted:

Having to routinely denounce it assumes a certain kind of responsibility for it..

What if they were to laminate a piece of paper with the words "I am not in support of terrorism" and then hang it from their necks on a lanyard?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Is this foggy-minded Ben Carson voter lingo for "I lied and slandered millions of people"?

This is the old "I am cesar, a insult to me is a insult to rome".

Islam is a bad religion, and the islamic culture is mediocre at best. This is not a insult to muslims. You are not your religion, you are not your culture. You can be a smart person that live in a dumb culture. Lets ask some turks what they think about Erdogan.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tei posted:

This is the old "I am cesar, a insult to me is a insult to rome".

Islam is a bad religion, and the islamic culture is mediocre at best. This is not a insult to muslims. You are not your religion, you are not your culture. You can be a smart person that live in a dumb culture. Lets ask some turks what they think about Erdogan.

How dare you insult Western culture and civilization by calling it "mediocre at best," you swine, you dog of a man? I ought to demand satisfaction of you this instant!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Western Culture is pretty bad though, full of racists and colonialists.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Islam is a bad religion

Is there a better one?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

Do you really think that? I think is pretty great.

The western culture managed to put a human in other planet (well, a moon). Invented human rights, that is a pretty cool thing. Made a huge contribution to the advance of medicine, math, engineering,... HUGE advances in ethical and technological poo poo.

The current problem of western culture is capitalism. Capitalism force people on a competitive strategy. Competitive strategies are less efficient than cooperative strategies. So theres a huge loss of productivity because of capitalism. But we don't know of any better system than capitalism, so we stick to it :P

SedanChair posted:

Is there a better one?

My opinions are stupid, ignorant and uneducated. I already given mine about this subject, so I will not offend the cool people in this thread more by repeating them again. Looks upthread about my opinion about what you ask. I will not repeat myself.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

My opinions are stupid, ignorant and uneducated. I already given mine about this subject, so I will not offend the cool people in this thread more by repeating them again. Looks upthread about my opinion about what you ask. I will not repeat myself.

Your posting is largely incoherent, so I have not managed to discern an answer to my question from your previous posts. Answer my question directly: is there a better religion than Islam?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

Do you really think that? I think is pretty great.

The western culture managed to put a human in other planet (well, a moon). Invented human rights, that is a pretty cool thing. Made a huge contribution to the advance of medicine, math, engineering,... HUGE advances in ethical and technological poo poo.

What happened to "You are not your culture"?

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

computer parts posted:

I can think of way worse things than racism and colonialism happening in the Middle East.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
What exactly is the practical implication of saying western culture is superior? Are you planning to deport all members of the inferior cultures from the west? Ban them from entry? Are you going to somehow magically force them to abandon all their cultural practices and beliefs over night?

Great, you're convinced that the culture you grew up in is the best culture ever. That's an almost universal intuition among human beings. I have it to in fact. But so what? Other than whatever satisfaction you apparently get by posting these hard truths you've gleaned here on the internet what exactly does it matter that you think "the west" has a better culture than Islam? How is that relevant to this discussion of Islamophobia?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

computer parts posted:

What happened to "You are not your culture"?

If you say that western culture is stupid, I will not feel like you insulted me. But I will give you reasons why I think you are wrong.

Western culture is very flawed at the moment, consumism and corporativism, you are not a citizen, but a customer. Avoiding trouble more important than facing problems.
Is not without his problems.

Western culture is somewhat like my car. You can say my car is ugly, I will probably agree, or maybe not. If you insult my car, you are not insulting me.

Helsing posted:

What exactly is the practical implication of saying western culture is superior? Are you planning to deport all members of the inferior cultures from the west? Ban them from entry? Are you going to somehow magically force them to abandon all their cultural practices and beliefs over night?

The implications is that you have to pay attention to the poo poo that make life better for human beings and the things that make life poo poo. Stuff like womens equality.

Why women equality is cool? because smart people is cool, smart people build cool poo poo. If you have 50% of the population stuck away from laboratories and workplaces, they don't have the opportunity to shine. So you have people that can contribute to technology, science, art or culture away from doing that. By having women equality, society progress faster to cool stuff. This is cool. Women equality is cool.

The implications is that you have to look at every culture, see what make the life of people better or worst. Everything that help people is cool.

Tei fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Nov 27, 2015

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tei posted:

Western culture also got to genocide two entire continents of people and pretty much screwed over another without any real repercussions.

But yeah, we got onto the moon. Yay. :geno:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tei posted:

If you say that western culture is stupid, I will not feel like you insulted me. But I will give you reasons why I think you are wrong.

Western culture is very flawed at the moment, consumism and corporativism, you are not a citizen, but a customer. Avoiding trouble more important than facing problems.

Western culture is somewhat like my car. You can say my car is ugly, I will probably agree, or maybe not. If you insult my car, you are not insulting me.

I guess that big pickup truck is compensating for something.

-Not an insult on someone, apparently

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Black Baby Goku posted:

I can think of way worse things than racism and colonialism happening in the Middle East.

Nice slandering of Western Culture you've got going on there, rear end in a top hat.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

The implications is that you have to pay attention to the poo poo that make life better for human beings and the things that make life poo poo. Stuff like womens equality.

Why women equality is cool? because smart people is cool, smart people build cool poo poo. If you have 50% of the population stuck away from laboratories and workplaces, they don't have the opportunity to shine. So you have people that can contribute to technology, science, art or culture away from doing that. By having women equality, society progress faster to cool stuff. This is cool. Women equality is cool.

The implications is that you have to look at every culture, see what make the life of people better or worst. Everything that help people is cool.

Are you afraid to answer my question?

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Western culture also got to genocide two entire continents of people and pretty much screwed over another without any real repercussions.

But yeah, we got onto the moon. Yay. :geno:

Europeans where better at killing other people because we quickly learned that religion is a dead end. If you want cool poo poo, you must invest in science. Separate state and religion and put the turbo in engineering.

These american natives where killing each another when the europeand paid a visit. The europeans where better, because they had a more cooler culture that paid attention to science and engineering. Better weapons, better doctors, better ships.

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Wales Grey posted:

Then, not that that would help, they would proceed to get gunned down while worshiping in a church by a militant xenophobe anyway with "mental problems" who is definitely not a terrorist.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Tei posted:

Europeans where better at killing other people because we quickly learned that religion is a dead end. If you want cool poo poo, you must invest in science. Separate state and religion and put the turbo in engineering.

These american natives where killing each another when the europeand paid a visit. The europeans where better, because they had a more cooler culture that paid attention to science and engineering. Better weapons, better doctors, better ships.

Maybe you should stop posting after drinking so much.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

Is there a religion better than Islam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandy Thompson
Dec 26, 2014

by zen death robot

Cat Mattress posted:

Brown and black Christians are often assumed to be Muslims by racists anyway.

Case in point: Barack Obama

• Locked thread