Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CPL593H posted:

You're trash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0N2-jV189Zs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Josh Lyman posted:

Continuing with the Black Friday theme, does anyone still buy Blu-rays? I mostly stream everything these days, with Blu-rays reserved for films with ridiculous extras/commentaries like LOTR.
I was buying them consistently up until like July when I came to my senses and stopped. I've sold off the majority of my once-massive collection by now. This was the first year in a while where I haven't obsessively followed Blu-Ray deals on Black Friday and it's kind of cathartic letting that be a thing of the past.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

I feel empty when I don't own a movie I love.

edit: It does kinda suck when your tastes change. I was going through my old DVDs the other day and it was embarrassing what I used to watch. So many random seasons of Family Guy, South Park, Penn and Tellers Bullshit etc.

Yaws fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 27, 2015

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

with books/records/films i just set aside a certain amount of shelf space, and if i start to exceed that shelf space, i sell/give away some of the old ones. my record collection is probably most in need of some pruning, although the books are what take up the most space.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Yaws posted:

I feel empty when I don't own a movie I love.

edit: It does kinda suck when your tastes change. I was going through my old DVDs the other day and it was embarrassing what I used to watch. So many random seasons of Family Guy, South Park, Penn and Tellers Bullshit etc.

I have Mind of Mencia season 1 from when I was like 12. I have the ultimate shame.

I also have Simpsons seasons 1-5 from the same time, though.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I don't buy very many blu-rays, but I do pick up movies that I really love and that have some combination of great transfer quality / good extras. I always wait to snag stuff on a discount though.

I've also bought a few blu-rays for movies that are mildly obscure - like I just now pulled the trigger on Kwaidan because the B&N sale price on it is cheaper than buying a used DVD copy off of Amazon, and you can't really go wrong with a Criterion release.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
I remember CineD being all pumped up about Blu-ray deals last year. The passion seems to have collectively died. Who killed the world?

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
How did Tom McCarthy go from directing The Cobbler (2014) to Spotlight (2015)? Holy cow Spotlight was super great. Ruffallo and Keaton are outstanding.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

bows1 posted:

How did Tom McCarthy go from directing The Cobbler (2014) to Spotlight (2015)? Holy cow Spotlight was super great. Ruffallo and Keaton are outstanding.

dude's had a weird career. his directiorial debut was The Station Agent, which is excellent.

i'll always think of him as the weaselly reporter from season 5 of the Wire though.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

I remember CineD being all pumped up about Blu-ray deals last year. The passion seems to have collectively died. Who killed the world?

People still buy blu-rays here. We have a whole thread about it.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Funny, I've been listening to Burn, Piano Island, Burn a lot lately.

I was like 16 when that album came out and my brain exploded. I think their last 3 albums hold up really well as long as I space out my listens.

I liked The Locust's New Erections and that's about it on them.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Brooklyn deserves more attention. Subtle and charming filmmaking is a welcome respite from the heavy-handed stuff you see during Oscar season.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

dude's had a weird career. his directiorial debut was The Station Agent, which is excellent.

i'll always think of him as the weaselly reporter from season 5 of the Wire though.

The Station Agent is amazing. Especially in retrospect, Peter Dinklage and Bobby Cannavale are some great casting choices.

Honestly I wouldn't it mind it if they did some kind of Before trilogy kind of thing with The Station Agent, and we get a sequel in like five years.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Sight and Sound top 20 films of 2015:

1. The Assassin, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, France/Hong Kong/Taiwan
2. Carol, Todd Haynes, U.K./U.S.
3. Mad Max Fury Road, George Miller, Australia/U.S.
4. Arabian Nights, Miguel Gomes, Switzerland/France/Germany/Portugal
5. Cemetery of Splendor, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, France/U.K./Germany/Malaysia/Thailand
6. No Home Movie, Chantal Akerman, Belgium/France
7. 45 Years, Andrew Haigh, U.K.
8. Son of Saul, Laszlo Nemes, Hungary
=9. Amy, Asif Kapadia, U.K.
=9. Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson, U.S.
=11. Anomalisa, Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, U.S.
=11. It Follows, David Robert Mitchell, U.S.
13. Phoenix, Christian Petzold, Germany/Poland
=14. Girlhood, Céline Sciamma, France
=14. Hard to Be a God, Aleksei German, Russia
=14. Inside Out, Pete Docter, U.S.
=14. Tangerine, Sean Baker, U.S.
=14. Taxi Tehran, Jafar Panahi, Iran
=19. Horse Money, Pedro Costa, Portugal
=19. The Look of Silence, Joshua Oppenheimer, Denmark/Finland/U.K./Indonesia/Norway

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

I still love them but I'm super into having a carefully curated, smaller library of essentials now so I rarely buy them.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Inherent Vice shouldn't be in the top 20 of anything.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Corek posted:

Sight and Sound top 20 films of 2015:

1. The Assassin, Hou Hsiao-Hsien, France/Hong Kong/Taiwan
2. Carol, Todd Haynes, U.K./U.S.
3. Mad Max Fury Road, George Miller, Australia/U.S.
4. Arabian Nights, Miguel Gomes, Switzerland/France/Germany/Portugal
5. Cemetery of Splendor, Apichatpong Weerasethakul, France/U.K./Germany/Malaysia/Thailand
6. No Home Movie, Chantal Akerman, Belgium/France
7. 45 Years, Andrew Haigh, U.K.
8. Son of Saul, Laszlo Nemes, Hungary
=9. Amy, Asif Kapadia, U.K.
=9. Inherent Vice, Paul Thomas Anderson, U.S.
=11. Anomalisa, Charlie Kaufman & Duke Johnson, U.S.
=11. It Follows, David Robert Mitchell, U.S.
13. Phoenix, Christian Petzold, Germany/Poland
=14. Girlhood, Céline Sciamma, France
=14. Hard to Be a God, Aleksei German, Russia
=14. Inside Out, Pete Docter, U.S.
=14. Tangerine, Sean Baker, U.S.
=14. Taxi Tehran, Jafar Panahi, Iran
=19. Horse Money, Pedro Costa, Portugal
=19. The Look of Silence, Joshua Oppenheimer, Denmark/Finland/U.K./Indonesia/Norway
No Sicario? For shame!

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
It's funny, there's been Mad Max backlash, including on this forum, because only meme-nerds liked it. Now actual critics are calling it one of the best of the year.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

it's an outstanding movie but here in the good old U S of A it was pretty firmly last year

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Corek posted:

It's funny, there's been Mad Max backlash, including on this forum, because only meme-nerds liked it. Now actual critics are calling it one of the best of the year.

Actual critics have been saying the same thing since it came out

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

Top 20 of Paul Thomas Anderson movies.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as opposed to physical media, which is trash

I meant it should be hauled away AS garbage.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

mine hopped on the blu ray train a year or two ago, but it's worth noting that it's a particularly well funded library. very lucky.

is your library part of a greater library network? that's always a good way to scope stuff out. my library gets a pretty good selection of blu rays, but there are some in our network that have great selections (one in particular gets every criterion blu ray as soon as it comes out)

My local library's just a branch of the Kansas City Public Library, so I can easily request stuff from other branches, but it's not really partnered with any other systems. The central location gets a lot of good stuff, especially every new Criterion DVD, I'm pretty sure.

Raxivace posted:

Inherent Vice owned.

Also, 36th Chamber of Shaolin is so good.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Josh Lyman posted:

Continuing with the Black Friday theme, does anyone still buy Blu-rays? I mostly stream everything these days, with Blu-rays reserved for films with ridiculous extras/commentaries like LOTR.

I do. I like owning things and having a library. Plus streaming sites are getting increasingly unreliable when it comes to maintaining a back catalog (Netflix I'm lookin' at you.)

Creed is really good BTW. Better than Balboa which I figured was gonna be the definitive send-off, and I like how they sort of position it as acknowledging the past but having its own identity. It's also good to see Michael B. Jordan in a good lead role like this, so the failure of Fantastic Four won't hurt him.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I'm still unsure as to what people actually disliked about Inherent Vice.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
Anxiously awaiting the results of the BvS thread mod challenge.

quote:

Every gangster that Dredd kills is a cycle of violence ended.

Is the greatest thing ever said on this forum.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Corek posted:

I hadn't noticed any Fury Road backlash

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

The story was difficult to follow if you were trying to put all the pieces together, and I could see how people would dislike that.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I loved it but some people are just into straightforward plotting

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

For me it's the film's complete lack of anything visually interesting at any point in the movie whatsoever. It's like a pale imitation of neo-noir, which already was kind of just an imitation of classic noir to begin with.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

as much as i loved it, i can't really disagree with the fact that it's too long

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Nothing about it grabbed my attention fully, which I never thought I'd say about a Paul Thomas Anderson movie.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Raxivace posted:

For me it's the film's complete lack of anything visually interesting at any point in the movie

Huh

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Yeah, that's probably the most specific thing I remember and I guess it isn't surprising it didn't register with me.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

yeah Elswit's cinematography is beautiful, and the set/costume design is ridiculously on point.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
Oh yeah, late to the convo, but as far as buying blu rays, I probably won't ever buy say 12 Years a Slave or The Artist on blu ray, but something like Shock Waves or The Deadly Spawn? Yes. A thousand times yes.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The cinematography is good if you like close ups of Joaquin Phoenix I guess.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Raxivace posted:

do you not?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

as much as i loved it, i can't really disagree with the fact that it's too long

That was something I didn't feel at all. In fact I'm trying to recall the last movie I saw that went on too long. Probably Spectre.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah Elswit's cinematography is beautiful, and the set/costume design is ridiculously on point.

I remember the very first production still I saw of IV and thought it was completely on point. It was not the 90s revival of the 70s that looks like A Very Brady Musical. If you've got parents who have photo albums from the 70s, you'll notice a lot of odd poo poo like ugly synthetic fabrics, earth tones everywhere and crap like double knit corduroy. Sure, it was fashionable not to wear a bra but it was also fashionable to wear coveralls to jobs where you aren't painting a fence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Raxivace posted:

He has an incredibly interesting and expressive face.

• Locked thread