Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

evilweasel posted:

I strongly suspect there was at least one intelligent white guy before like 1920 in the US.

They were intelligent like Ben Carson is intelligent. Massive blind spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

computer parts posted:

Fair enough. Even If we take it for granted that this IQ test is a reasonable measure of intelligence, then this dude was crazy smart.

And what if we don't take it for granted, because you have been arguing that it is not a reasonable measure of intelligence? Well, then he's just... easily bored.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Racism is so pervasive that there are of course people who are otherwise intelligent who are horrifying racists. HP Lovecraft comes to mind - a beloved author, whose works are the foundation for a great deal of western horror, was a disgusting arch-racist. There are still people like this, because they live in a bubble of whiteness and never had any of their racist attitudes challenged.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

SedanChair posted:

Intelligence doesn't mean someone will have a realistic world view. I'm sure there are a bunch of very smart Sanders supporters :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

30.5 Days posted:

And what if we don't take it for granted, because you have been arguing that it is not a reasonable measure of intelligence? Well, then he's just... easily bored.

He's more likely to be easily bored, yes.

Or to be specific, people who score high on the test are highly correlated with leaving the job early.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx
Re the intelligence/racism correlation discussion ...

Along with "what is intelligence" you have a "what is racism" sidebar. The list of upper middle class jobs that maintain the racist status quo may or may not require intelligence, but the people in them probably wouldn't consider a night on the town beating up black people ( or anyone ) a good time. Meanwhile other types of racists would consider that to be a splendid evening.

I would argue that violent/vocal/deeply emotional -ism is correlated with lack of capability in the individual. The mechanism there being that the belief of superiority of ones group is most important to the least capable members of the group. They are the ones clinging to, "Well at least I'm an X" the hardest.

Apathetic/passive racism is certainly a thing, and it feeds systemic racism. but it isn't the strain pulling triggers, burning churches, or overly concerned about confederate flags etc. I think a much stronger case can be made linking malicious/active racism ( or any -ism) to poor ability scores on a variety of metrics of which IQ is one.

Both types are problems. But they are different problems with different solutions.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

Can you give me an example of an intelligent racist?

Not cunning, intelligent.

Has 'cunning' ever meant anything but 'intelligent, but also someone I don't respect'? There's a reason it's the complement of choice for open racists who get outsmarted by someone they'd rather call an animal.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

George W. Bush was the more intelligent one :lol:

Political Science is the light.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McAlister posted:

Apathetic/passive racism is certainly a thing, and it feeds systemic racism. but it isn't the strain pulling triggers, burning churches, or overly concerned about confederate flags etc. I think a much stronger case can be made linking malicious/active racism ( or any -ism) to poor ability scores on a variety of metrics of which IQ is one.

You'd have to define what poor IQ scores are first, though. Like if it's anything below 100, it doesn't apply to this discussion at all.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Killer robot posted:

Has 'cunning' ever meant anything but 'intelligent, but also someone I don't respect'? There's a reason it's the complement of choice for open racists who get outsmarted by someone they'd rather call an animal.

Nope. That's pretty much it. Although cunning is a step up from "instinctive" where the other person isn't even being given credit for doing something intentionally.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

that is how it is for everyone, and the idea of the omnisavant is pure fiction

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

You'd have to define what poor IQ scores are first, though. Like if it's anything below 100, it doesn't apply to this discussion at all.

It would vary from individual to individual and be defined as among the lowest of their social group.

The key here is that the person feels slow compared to the people around them and copes with the feeling of inferiority by insisting that their group is innately better than other groups so that being the slow one in their group is still pretty awesome overall.

Edit:

This is in the formative stages ... When they break off to seek a community based on that belief they could be fairly sharp within that group. I'm talking about the person in a normal group is most recruitable by a group like stormfront.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 27, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Killer robot posted:

I don't use it to mean intelligent. Hitler and Trump are excellent examples of cunning. They are capable of manipulating people and situations to achieve some measure of personal success, but they are in way over their heads when it comes to serious matters.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

SedanChair posted:

I don't use it to mean intelligent. Hitler and Trump are excellent examples of cunning. They are capable of manipulating people and situations to achieve some measure of personal success, but they are in way over their heads when it comes to serious matters.

That's charisma.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

computer parts posted:

Well, then you get into the question of what exactly the needed intelligence is for that particular position.

Like yeah, smarter cops are never a bad thing inherently, but if there's already enough applicants within the range you specify, it's not a terrible decision. Especially because, like I said, they're still not hiring morons.

You're still getting hung up on "intelligence test". The town is offering an IQ test (which doesn't measure intelligence that well), and using the scores to compare with a known correlation (people higher than this range typically leave earlier) for hiring purposes. It sounds like if the state provided free training to all accepted applicants, the policy would go away.

Oh by the way (for everyone) this is apparently the test in question: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonderlic_test

These scores are from a different year, but here is the median score based on profession:

So basically this guy was crazy smart.

(also interesting sidenote: the NFL apparently uses this test quite frequently in the Scouting Combine)

Chemist up there at #2. :smugdog:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

e: not chat thread

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

hobbesmaster posted:

That's charisma.

Well charisma is a part of it. George Clooney has charisma, but cunning or intelligence is not particularly related to his success (however much of it he may have). At the same time, it is possible to use your cunning to leverage traits other than charisma. Fred Phelps, for example, had no discernible charisma but considerable cunning.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."

SedanChair posted:

Can you give me an example of an intelligent racist?

Not cunning, intelligent.

Johannes Stark
Phillip Lenard
Thomas Jefferson
Basically everyone involved in the eugenics movement, including Margaret Sanger

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

berzerker posted:

Johannes Stark
Phillip Lenard
Thomas Jefferson
Basically everyone involved in the eugenics movement, including Margaret Sanger

Actually those people are all stupid because they're not as enlightened as an early 21st century leftist.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Nonsense posted:

George W. Bush was the more intelligent one :lol:

Political Science is the light.

When asked years back if he thought jeb would make a good president, W said he'd be a great senator.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Wonder what a modern leftist would be like in 1776.

"Pfft I'm not joining your revolt because your declaration of Independence doesn't include a single payer option."

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I guess I was not thinking of people back when racism was the prevailing scientific thought.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Well, let's go with Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins, very intelligent, very racist, very sexist assholes.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus
Feb 17, 2007
MSU Will Not Be National Champions

So I really should learn to shut the hole under my nose.

SedanChair posted:

I guess I was not thinking of people back when racism was the prevailing scientific thought.

Yeah, back when everyone was racist, dumb people were convinced that whites were just smarter than black people and didn't care why, while smart people were also convinced that whites were smarter, but they wanted to know why. This lead to crap science like phrenology.

Ben Has Tiny Weenus fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Nov 27, 2015

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Active shooter at the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, several victims, an officer has been hit, suspect is barricaded inside.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Goddamn it what a lovely day

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Teddybear posted:

Active shooter at the Colorado Springs Planned Parenthood, several victims, an officer has been hit, suspect is barricaded inside.

Where is the Christian community? Where are these so-called moderate Christians?

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Let me tell you why Syrian Refugees are the real threats to this country....

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Teddybear posted:

gently caress.

(CNN)Police said Friday they were responding to a call of an active shooter in Colorado Springs, Colorado.

"The area is NOT secure," the city's police department said via Twitter.

The shooting took place on Colorado Springs' Centennial Boulevard, though the exact location was not immediately reported. Nor was it known who, if anyone, might have been shot and in what their condition was.

The city, in the central part of the Colorado, has more than 400,000 residents.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Nov 27, 2015

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Does PP offer any hot Black Friday abortion deals?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Feel free to make a thread about it, somebody

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Teddybear posted:

Of course, storming a building, shooting people and taking hostages for a political motive isn't terrorist because....

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

hobbesmaster posted:

That's charisma.

Social intelligence is a form of intelligence. It means you can accurately model other people's brain states and predict how they will react to different stimuli.

Google "mirror neurons". They are parts of the brain that becomes active in "put yourself in other people's shoes" mental exercises. People good at that have high social intelligence and empathy.

http://www.apa.org/monitor/oct05/mirror.aspx

Reminder, empathy isn't sympathy.

Edit: God loving drat Colorado springs.

McAlister fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Nov 27, 2015

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Teddybear posted:

CNN is reporting on it, but not naming the location.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Trabisnikof posted:

Of course, storming a building, shooting people and taking hostages for a political motive isn't terrorist because....

Yeah, I'm kind of waiting on that - but I suspect I'll be making a facebook post about that subject before the day's end

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Best to just hope that no one is killed at this point but it's probably very unlikely.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

CNN is reporting on it, but not naming the location.

A common excuse from anti-abortion terrorists, is that they're committing acts of violence against someone other than PP and accidentally shot at or firebombed the wrong building. Oopies!

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Handed a list by accounting. "All right sir, this how much you need to donate in order to not pay any taxes."

Proceeds to go to 500$ a plate "charity" dinners where 90% goes to consultant, writes off entire amount till amount is reached.

Bitch about paying taxes and how awesome they are for giving to charity.

- every 1%er

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Motherfuck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

Teddybear posted:

Stuff like this is always in the back of my mind any time I stop by to refill my birth control pills. Some nutcase could kill me just because I want meds to make my period a little more tolerable.

• Locked thread