Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS
Oh, I like the smell of my own dumps.

Mostly Lurking posted:

It was tongue in cheek because Maher's views on muslims are more aligned with Trump than liberals (which is why he cries about 'those drat liberals' whenever muslims are brought up). :buddy:

I'd say it's better to hate the dumb things said in the quran than the entire religion itself just like any other religion seeing how most do including those that practice it. But what Bill Maher and the rest of the New Atheists are doing is focusing on the violence in certain regions and applying it to all regions with muslims while ignoring all other variables (Can't exactly divorce economic power from what's going on) that push violence and saying, "there, do you see!? Islam, I told you!" All while ignoring all regions that are not the focus on this "War on Terror."

He at least wants less bombing going on so that's better than what's going on now, but he's still playing the West vs Islam card and that isn't helping.

What the hell is a "New Athiest"? Also, the religion is the expression of the book. Hating the dumb things in the book is the same as hating the religion holding that book on the infallible pedestal. Also, Bill frequently comments on the statistics about other populations of Muslims who agree with the fundamentalist murder bullshit.

The man has also frequently said if other religions had the same level of intolerance he'd be equally harsh on them. Not that he isn't hateful towards other fairy tales, he merely hates on them proportionately to the percentage of people in those faiths that hate.

Bill knows the other Abrahamic texts also say to kill people for ridiculous... well, practically every reason. Christians are simply less likely to do it. Jews are less likely to do it. And when polled, the percentages of people from those two general faiths don't say they agree to the same degree Muslims do.

You think Bill Maher doesn't want every religion to go? It's simply triage to mainly decry Islam when speaking about religious violence towards liberal values.

And please, enlighten me. Since when is it conservative to be intolerant of intolerance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Islam is a problem because its adherents actually believe in its retarded ideology and tenets. If it were a moderated religion practiced by milquetoast adherents like European Christianity is, it would be exactly as threatening to liberal values as every other religion. That's the problem: Its believers believe and that makes them dangerous.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

Super Deuce posted:

And please, enlighten me. Since when is it conservative to be intolerant of intolerance?

GETTING gay rights from the idiotic mob is fine. DEFENDING them against another isn't. I guess. It makes no sense to me why opposition to Islamism is treated as some sort of bigotry. There's a real reason to hate Islam itself, and that's its tenets and adherents' behavior.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Super Deuce posted:

What the hell is a "New Athiest"?

It's yet another pejorative label originally ascribed by "progressives" to people like Maher & Dawkins who actually criticize acting on 7th century beliefs in 2015. Instead of wasting time fighting it, they've embraced the term instead. Bill was spot on about Islam again tonight BTW. That woman he was arguing with was such an airhead.

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Immortan posted:

It's yet another pejorative label originally ascribed by "progressives" to people like Maher & Dawkins who actually criticize acting on 7th century beliefs in 2015. Instead of wasting time fighting it, they've embraced the term instead. Bill was spot on about Islam again tonight BTW. That woman he was arguing with was such an airhead.

She, like so many, think facts have feelings. She can be close to getting something right, but will dance around it until she's wrong because someone may get upset.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

Super Deuce posted:

1) What the hell is a "New Athiest"? Also, the religion is the expression of the book. 2) Hating the dumb things in the book is the same as hating the religion holding that book on the infallible pedestal. 2b) Also, Bill frequently comments on the statistics about other populations of Muslims who agree with the fundamentalist murder bullshit.

3) The man has also frequently said if other religions had the same level of intolerance he'd be equally harsh on them. Not that he isn't hateful towards other fairy tales, he merely hates on them proportionately to the percentage of people in those faiths that hate.

4) Bill knows the other Abrahamic texts also say to kill people for ridiculous... well, practically every reason. 4b) Christians are simply less likely to do it. Jews are less likely to do it. 4c) And when polled , the percentages of people from those two general faiths don't say they agree to the same degree Muslims do.

5) You think Bill Maher doesn't want every religion to go? 5b) It's simply triage to mainly decry Islam when speaking about religious violence towards liberal values.

1) Anti-theism which is not what atheism is about. It's for the fanatics.

2) No, it's not. Hating the Evangelical churches that promote bigotry isn't the the same as hating ones that don't. People put their values into their religion, not the other way around. Which is why there isn't a consistency to these muslim values to even the "War on Terror" regions.
2b) Yeah, he uses the same recycled states that ignore other statics to push his "Muslims are Evil" narrative. It's cute, if all Muslims were influenced so hardly by the violence in the text, you'd be in trouble seeing how there's 1.6 billion of them. At best the New Atheist and right wingers can do is bring up some questionable statistic about the whole religion and a scary picture of a dude yelling and point to it.

3) The destabilization created by the west and how just very recently (by a PR campaign by homosexual groups) the west has come to accept homosexuality doesn't play well into this lovely theory. I agree, he does hate other religions, but nothing pushes his agenda as well as the chaos in the middle east so he'll focus on Islam so it can prove how smart he is!

4) Ha, no. Bill can debate a hillbilly on the texts but not anyone that actually studies it (See: His views on Flu Vaccinations).
4b) HHahhahaha, source? You \ do understand the US bombs and kills a shitload of innocent people and so does Israel, right? Or does state actions not count in your world view?
4c) SOURCE - it doesn't play well with this: http://www.gallup.com/poll/148763/muslim-americans-no-justification-violence.aspx

5) Oh, I'm sure he does. Just like all other fanatics think when all other view points are eliminated, utopia is achieved. Reality is much different.
5b) The point is that is much more complex than just, "ISLAM IS BAD!" It's not being "intolerant of intolerance." It's flat out ignoring what's going on in the middle east.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Mostly Lurking posted:

missingthepoint.txt

Again, you are a willfully ignorant & stupid person. :sigh:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There's no way to spin out of the fact that Muslims think apostates should be killed. A MAJORITY OF MUSLIMS.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Apoplexy posted:

There's no way to spin out of the fact that Muslims think apostates should be killed. A MAJORITY OF MUSLIMS.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ejn9kAFNvk

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I would respect suicide bombers more if their aspirations were to go McFeasting in Valhalla, eternally shiny and chrome.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O462rVj6nXQ

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Apoplexy posted:

Islam is a problem because its adherents actually believe in its retarded ideology and tenets. If it were a moderated religion practiced by milquetoast adherents like European Christianity is, it would be exactly as threatening to liberal values as every other religion. That's the problem: Its believers believe and that makes them dangerous.

As George Carlin put it, "We stopped believing in our bullshit. They still believe in their bullshit!"

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:lol: at the concept of "the great disappointment."

Gavin Newsom remains the slickest politician out there. Looks like Bill Clinton 2.0

Immortan posted:

Did anybody see Bill Maher on Colbert recently? That was... interesting. From both of them.

I watched it and so much of it was bleeped out. I don't find any of those network TV hosts really funny but those two didn't mix. Also, I thought Colbert was going to stop his shtick of playing a brain-damaged conservative.

At one point Maher was talking about "wiping out the idea [Islam]." More of the same insanity. Still waiting for some random adult leader to saunter by on TV someday and say the simple words "Islam has been around for 1,400+ years..it's not going away. Terrorism has been around since recorded history..it's not going away."

Mostly Lurking posted:

(Can't exactly divorce economic power from what's going on)

What are you referring to?

Mostly Lurking posted:

4b) HHahhahaha, source? You \ do understand the US bombs and kills a shitload of innocent people and so does Israel, right? Or does state actions not count in your world view?

Doesn't count. We're the good guys even if we bomb a hospital! If this was GWBs fourth term he'd be taking a TON of heat for this rampant droning all over the globe. Obama (like Clinton) before him got away with it as the Rs don't mind wanton bombing and the party base generally ignores it for some reason.

A few years back a huge chunk of the US was taking massive dumps on France for not giving 100% full-fledged support of the Iraq invasion and other military interventions and now suddenly we're strange bedfellows as we can superficially commiserate.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
i think that americans and the french have far more in common than either would ever care to admit. but yeah, the sudden love of france is hilarious considering where we were in 2003.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Zogo posted:

Also, I thought Colbert was going to stop his shtick of playing a brain-damaged conservative.

He did, and Jimmy Kimmel's beating him in the ratings now.

Mostly Lurking
Sep 25, 2008

Zogo posted:

What are you referring to?

Sorry, that was poorly worded. Was trying trying to show that there other variables behind the whole "ISIS = ISLAM" poo poo going on. A lot of leadership behind ISIS are actually ex- Baathist leadership (secularist as a dam for the country) trying to gain power in the void.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/worl...e759_story.html

Zogo posted:

A few years back a huge chunk of the US was taking massive dumps on France for not giving 100% full-fledged support of the Iraq invasion and other military interventions and now suddenly we're strange bedfellows as we can superficially commiserate.

WaryWarren posted:

i think that americans and the french have far more in common than either would ever care to admit. but yeah, the sudden love of france is hilarious considering where we were in 2003.

Haha, yeap. We Americans are very much enlightened and not pushed by emotions, unlike those savages! *Kills more people than the target by the drone strike, calls the victims, "collateral."*

Also, I wonder if Maher watches Oliver's and gets pissed off. It must suck writing a show that uses rightwing fear rhetoric and two days later someone on your same channel shits on your view using facts while being far more entertaining.

Mostly Lurking fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Nov 23, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
John Oliver reminds me of Anthony Weiner except with an insufferably high-pitched British accent. He's loving gross.

Those teeth when he smiles. :cry:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Wrong opinion.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot

Immortan posted:

John Oliver reminds me of Anthony Weiner except with an insufferably high-pitched British accent. He's loving gross.

Those teeth when he smiles. :cry:

gently caress you, shallow pig. Get out of 2015. I bet you're beautiful with beautiful ideas, right?

adebisi lives
Nov 11, 2009

Mostly Lurking posted:

It was tongue in cheek because Maher's views on muslims are more aligned with Trump than liberals (which is why he cries about 'those drat liberals' whenever muslims are brought up). :buddy:

I'd say it's better to hate the dumb things said in the quran than the entire religion itself just like any other religion seeing how most do including those that practice it. But what Bill Maher and the rest of the New Atheists are doing is focusing on the violence in certain regions and applying it to all regions with muslims while ignoring all other variables (Can't exactly divorce economic power from what's going on) that push violence and saying, "there, do you see!? Islam, I told you!" All while ignoring all regions that are not the focus on this "War on Terror."

He at least wants less bombing going on so that's better than what's going on now, but he's still playing the West vs Islam card and that isn't helping.

Islamist fuelled violence is far from confined to the middle east. Just ask the victims of boko haram and al shabab, or the secular bloggers getting macheted to death in Burma (or indonesia?). You also are seeming to forget how violent the chechnians are in their clashes with Russia compared with other former Soviet peoples.

In the rest of the third world it's comparitively rare to see any people act in violence under the banner of religious zealotry despite whatever colonialism did to them.

adebisi lives fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Nov 24, 2015

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Michael Scott posted:

gently caress you, shallow pig. Get out of 2015. I bet you're beautiful with beautiful ideas, right?

It's John Oliver who looks & sounds like a shallow pig, snowflake.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
america always gets garbage people from england. russell brand, piers morgan, jeremy kyle, the osbournes, the beckhams, john oliver... jeremy clarkson (2017).

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

comes along bort posted:

He did, and Jimmy Kimmel's beating him in the ratings now.

I agree that he seems to have toned it down but the times I've watched it he still seems like he's putting on some kind of act. I guess I thought he was going to drop it completely and be like he was on that Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee show:
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2xggbx

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama
Hopefully someone will explain to Maher during the holidays the difference between groaning at a bad joke and making an :iceburn: groan.

The difference is pretty obvious, and you would think as many years of standup that he has done he could tell. After saying something harsh but genuinely funny, he ends up telling the audience to 'gently caress off' and stop being so politically incorrect when half the time they agree with him and are simply saying "drat Bill, that's cold..."and then applauds to let him know he did a good job.

His tirade just kills the momentum so when he does the same thing again, people give a nervous chuckle and scattered applause to keep him from throwing another tantrum. Whoever at HBO is telling him to ramp up the rear end in a top hat factor should be fired. He was doing just fine and is now just turning into another angry white male pundit that people will start turning off.

The only problem is John Oliver's quick assimilation. I'm fine with him being a US citizen, but talking about US history from any time period and discussing history like he came on the Mayflower: "We did _____ back in ______" is just...weird. If I went to the UK, got a talk show, and talked about how bravely we fought in the Falklands conflict like I was there, I wouldn't be surprised if people looked at me like I was insane. I know he's trying to relate to the US audience, but like Trevor Noah...

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Gimmedaroot posted:

The only problem is John Oliver's quick assimilation. I'm fine with him being a US citizen, but talking about US history from any time period and discussing history like he came on the Mayflower: "We did _____ back in ______" is just...weird. If I went to the UK, got a talk show, and talked about how bravely we fought in the Falklands conflict like I was there, I wouldn't be surprised if people looked at me like I was insane. I know he's trying to relate to the US audience, but like Trevor Noah...

I don't think either of them do that. Noah is constantly cracking jokes about Africa, and Oliver is pretty much correct because the people that came over on the Mayflower very in fact very british. He's also very often making jokes about how much bad stuff the british have done historically so I don't really get this complaint.

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

IRQ posted:

I don't think either of them do that. Noah is constantly cracking jokes about Africa, and Oliver is pretty much correct because the people that came over on the Mayflower very in fact very british. He's also very often making jokes about how much bad stuff the british have done historically so I don't really get this complaint.

Oliver has more reason than most Americans do to make jokes about the British. That is not what I am talking about, and it is more of an observation of something odd than a complaint...I'm not that emotionally invested in it to complain. if you read my quote, I said its just "weird". I also like Jon Oliver more than Maher, who I mainly watch for New Rules. Breaking the habit going back to Politically Incorrect's Comedy Central days is pretty drat hard.

And yes, Mayflower passengers were British, but he wasn't on it...when talking about American history, the use of "we" did this and that is just...odd. I know the PC explanation of "we are all Americans now", but look at my earlier example. If I became a newly British citizen and said what horrible things "we" did to the rest of the world during the Victorian era just sounds bizarre. Especially coming from a non-white person.

In Noah's case, he got in hot water after his "black people in America be like _____" and the weird jokes about Jewish people. He even did a standup show in LA for a private industry crowd to show them his chops after all of the controversy that could have alienated TDS audience before he even started, but he almost over compensated by trying to show how much he has in common. The jokes were centered more around how he could relate more to African Americans re racism from rednecks, cops, etc. He knew he had to identify more with his audience of Americans if he was going to replace one of the most beloved anchors/comedians of all time. He's doing a fair job. At least he and Larry Wilmore are making white people think we're taking over...

I remember the Daily Show with Craig Killborn, and Jon Stewart's MTV talk show...I wanted it to work but was skeptical for a while. What made Jon work is that he didn't try too hard to relate to, or alienate, his audience. He was hitting them out of the park every night when the Iraq War started.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

Gimmedaroot posted:

Hopefully someone will explain to Maher during the holidays the difference between groaning at a bad joke and making an :iceburn: groan.

The difference is pretty obvious, and you would think as many years of standup that he has done he could tell. After saying something harsh but genuinely funny, he ends up telling the audience to 'gently caress off' and stop being so politically incorrect when half the time they agree with him and are simply saying "drat Bill, that's cold..."and then applauds to let him know he did a good job.

His tirade just kills the momentum so when he does the same thing again, people give a nervous chuckle and scattered applause to keep him from throwing another tantrum. Whoever at HBO is telling him to ramp up the rear end in a top hat factor should be fired. He was doing just fine and is now just turning into another angry white male pundit that people will start turning off.

shut up retard

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

WaryWarren posted:

america always gets garbage people from england. russell brand, piers morgan, jeremy kyle, the osbournes, the beckhams, john oliver... jeremy clarkson (2017).

John Oliver isn't a garbage person, why the gently caress would you lump him in with that last of idiots? Because Immortan says something disparaging about his appearance, like a retard would?

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Apoplexy posted:

John Oliver isn't a garbage person, why the gently caress would you lump him in with that last of idiots? Because Immortan says something disparaging about his appearance, like a retard would?

Probably because goons are quick to equip their shiny white armour whenever someone says anything remotely negative about Oliver and/or his show.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?
He has really gone around the bend...

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
eh, he is at the same place as most GBS posters.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

WaryWarren posted:

eh, he is at the same place as most GBS posters.

So he's correct?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

"Former Vice President Al Gore will be the first guest when "Real Time With Bill Maher" starts its 14th season this week.

Actor John Krasinski will be the mid-show interview guest, and he will have a chance to promote his movie "13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi," out Friday. The show airs live at 10 p.m. Friday on HBO and offers an immediate repeat at 11 p.m.

As the second guest, "Office" star Krasinski will interact with the roundtable: conservative activist Ralph Reed, Republican strategist and former "View" co-host Nicolle Wallace and author Cornel West, professor emeritus at Princeton University.

"Real Time" will offer 35 episodes this season."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/tv-guy/os-al-gore-john-krasinski-visit-bill-maher-20160112-post.html

ExiledTinkerer
Nov 4, 2009
...Well, West will have his hands full salvaging the panel at this rate it would seem. I thought Moore was supposed to be there for the premiere? Guess that might've slipped some weeks for his Doc's national launch...

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'd be okay with having Cornell West, Neil Degrasse Tyson, and Michael Steele on all the time.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
I'd be happy with a Taibbi/Ames reconciliation, with David Simon there to round out the table.

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

WaryWarren posted:

I'd be happy with a Taibbi/Ames reconciliation, with David Simon there to round out the table.

I want Taibbi on the panel for a change.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
So Ralph Reed had more of a nuanced take on Muslims tonight than Maher did.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

I haven't seen the episode, but I did watch Overtime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUBBL9cU4c

And good god, Bill has become progressively more insufferable. Just look at the Christianity discussion, and even Cornell West is agreeing with him, he has to act like a dick about it. We all know he doesn't like religion (and neither do I) but there's no need to be needlessly douchey about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Deuce
May 25, 2006
TOILETS

Mr Interweb posted:

I haven't seen the episode, but I did watch Overtime:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LUBBL9cU4c

And good god, Bill has become progressively more insufferable. Just look at the Christianity discussion, and even Cornell West is agreeing with him, he has to act like a dick about it. We all know he doesn't like religion (and neither do I) but there's no need to be needlessly douchey about it.

I haven't watched it, yet because HBOGO takes over a day to post it which is insane, but there is absolutely a reason to be "douchey" about religion.