Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

The temperature system was gamey, unfun garbage. It could have been replaced by something else, but also bear in mind that unlike castlevania and metroid, and like terraria, there are no permanent upgrades beyond equipment. Nobody really likes to have to equipment juggle, but terraria did it and so here we are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I remember buying this when it ended up on Steam, playing it for 20 minutes and thinking "Yeah I'll wait until it's finished thanks." Is it somewhat interesting/close to completion now or should I come back in a couple years?

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Ayn Marx posted:

I remember buying this when it ended up on Steam, playing it for 20 minutes and thinking "Yeah I'll wait until it's finished thanks." Is it somewhat interesting/close to completion now or should I come back in a couple years?

No

LordZoric
Aug 30, 2012

Let's wish for a space whale!

Ayn Marx posted:

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

good av + post combo

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Andronian posted:

I thought this game used to have a temperature system? this was taken out because.... ?

Because space was warmer than passing an invisible line while digging underground and freezing to death in two seconds at the sudden temperature change if you don't jump back up two feet into "perfectly warm".

Also the only outfit way back when that provided any sufficient warmth was a hoth rebel outfit with low defense, before the final tier armor finally matched it for warmth. So you'd die instantly hit by anything if you wanted to not just place campfires in space or digging too deep into a desert planet without freezing to death before then.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 17, 2015

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Ayn Marx posted:

:yeah:

ubachung
Jul 30, 2006

Ayn Marx posted:

Check back again after Star Citizen releases.

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Ayn Marx posted:

You'd be better off forgetting about the game unless you like to hang out and chill-post about how bad starbound is in which case you're welcome to stay :coffeepal:

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I have been playing some multiplayer with a friend over LAN without any issue, we played ~20 hours. Now it's uncontrollably laggy and I can't seem to fathom why. Even on a clean restart of the computer it's unplayable when before it was fine. Any advice?

It appears only to be an issue when playing on the server, so is there a cleanup on the server I can/should do? It's just a local server, launched from the launcher.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Please don't post in this thread about this bad game.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Starbound: Are you a Bad enough game to never be completed?

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Counterpoint: If starbound is at its worst right now, it can only go up from this point until it supposedly gets worse again

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I wish more games featured women turning into toilets. I want toilet transformers.

BillmasterCozb posted:

Counterpoint: If starbound is at its worst right now, it can only go up from this point until it supposedly gets worse again

Starbound is a blackhole of suck, sorry fam.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

BillmasterCozb posted:

loving sweet, cant wait for the Starbound puns to get fresh again.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
Oh hey, a new patch finally dropped, guess something caused Adam to clinch his sphincter.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

So how is the winter update

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

It did just delete my guy and savegame which is apparently unrecoverable because in TYOOL 2015 we don't have a backup save or a cloud backup or anything so that's awesome. Wait, is this a roguelike?

Rrussom
May 13, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

It did just delete my guy and savegame which is apparently unrecoverable because in TYOOL 2015 we don't have a backup save or a cloud backup or anything so that's awesome. Wait, is this a roguelike?

No, its a bad game.

Rrussom
May 13, 2009
I would like to point out that the OP, aswell as babe magnet, is actually pretty good as it actually has some effort put into it, unlike starbound itself.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

for a second there i actually thought that maybe an update did come out, but nope

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elendil004 posted:

Wait, is this a roguelike?

you die in three hits to scrub enemies, you eat food and get set on fire, it takes forever to heal normally if you don't chug potions, tame enemies experience ai freakouts and attack you without warning... sure, why not?

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms

Prop Wash posted:

sorry my friend that was last year, he he he

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Prop Wash posted:

Alpacas were packed into bags.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

starstounding!!

The White Dragon posted:

you die in three hits to scrub enemies, you eat food and get set on fire, it takes forever to heal normally if you don't chug potions, tame enemies experience ai freakouts and attack you without warning... sure, why not?

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006
TOPIC: [Bug/Issue] Low FPS despite fixes and help :(

Yaz posted:

As the title says. I am not sure when exactly this started it but was somewhat recently.

When i run my game the fps is awful. Whenever I am moving the fps is somewhere in the low 20s and when anything happens in game it will drop down into the teens or lower.

I went into the steam folders and tried compatibility mode, I tried uninstalling, I tried repairing, I am at a loss. I have an Nvidia Gforce 980 that is up to date.

I however run Windows 10, It was working fine with windows 10 but now suddenly does not. I am completely stumped and was wondering if anyone else was having a problem.

Oh ya, and I also play in window mode, AND I deleted the universe/characters. Nothing seems to help.

If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it. ( this only happens in starbound, i can run terraria just fine.... )

Dumbshit Starbound Mod posted:

Terreria and Starbound are not exactly the same.
Just because they are pixel based the requirements for both are different as night and day.

The fastest way to get a quick FPS boost is to make sure your zoom level in settings is 3x or higher. 2x and 1x is meant for more meaty computers. Optimization will be done more later in development when all the major features are in place. More specifically the last major patch before 1.0 hits.

Yaz posted:

how unfortunate.

i have 26 gigs of ram

3860 i7 quad core

980 GTX GPU

>.> and a side scrolling 2d pixel based game is too intensive....

Dumbshit Starbound Mod posted:

In that case - it is likely due to some other issue all together.
But the answer remains the same - you are going to need to wait for the optimization patches to begin to roll out regardless.

Yaz posted:

ya, until then ill just play other games, thanks.

Ironically, The Unstable* version runs flawlessly with great FPS. I'll just say, problem solved, for now.
* Note: No longer true. The game lags like a Model-T in Nascar. Chucklefucks have re-added the same old bugs or new, similar bugs.

Patch review: Its something awful. Do not play

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
Lol. A sense of not wanting to play this game is almost an intended feature at this point.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

SPEAKING OF FEATURES

You remember how in early builds, enemies had touch damage, and it worked out to be really lovely because they're loving everywhere and all of them are faster than you?

Remember when, in a rare good decision, they took it out and made monsters only able to damage you when they were actively attacking, making combat slightly less terrible?

Now it's back, in pog form!

you loving mush-brained idiot

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Jesus loving Christ, really?

I wonder if it's too late to get refunded by Steam. Or if Steam will accept a beta invite as a refund. :negative:

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
It's too late.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why would that even remotely be a good idea

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Agent Kool-Aid posted:

why would that even remotely be a good idea

*~Dark Souls~*

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
You know what? I'm actually excited to see what starbound ends up as when it's done. At this point it could be anything. It's like I pre ordered one of those loot boxes and they keep changing the list of items you might find in the box. It could be horse (alpaca) poo poo or it could be pure gold. It could be out in a few months or your great grandchildren could inherit it from you. Who knows! :iiam:

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

I know some of the team members still read this thread, and I don't care who does it, but will one of you please just smother Tiy in his sleep already? Just loving Weekend at Bernie's his corpse into convincing the others to stop implementing retarded decisions.

I promise to you that no one will notice the difference.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Wanna take that guy's hat (That guy right there?)

That guy right there, that guy Tiy (Guy who thinks he's fly?)

Wanna take that hat (Yeah what about that?)

Gonna take that hat, and push it down REAL hard

Push it down REAL hard, so the top pops (Pops gonna blow his top!)

And Tiy is left there dazed, with stars spinnin'

And Tiy's teeth? Tiy's teeth fall out and make piano sounds

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i can't even begin to wrap my head around why someone would think that adding damage on touch again is good in any way

it loving sucks in terraria and it'll loving suck in starbound yet again

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Reintroducing touch damage is an incredibly bad idea, which is perfect because Starbound is a bad game, so it makes sense that bad things would be in it.

Also, sorry, Tiy, no amount of long, super-nebulous Reddit rants will properly justify your bad decision. Please, stop doing them.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
on the contrary, please keep doing them for our entertainment

hey welcome to the show!
Jan 22, 2014

nobody loves me
This is the only thread I have bookmarked to have activity in a month... Please keep making bad decisions tiy. I need something to read at work...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
I see a new stable patch is not far off. Sadly for them I learned my lesson last time I was mildly interested in new patches. The progression is just hollow and meaningless, and as a result the game feels empty and joyless. New star systems, skim the surface for ore, make some armor and fight some boss. I'd like to say I was being reductive, but that's about it. The randomized quests or whatever were all either ridiculously simple (catch a single bug) or a total crapshoot (like finding X type of ruins randomly on a planet). And I'm still pissed the most fundamental exploration tool is not in the game to my knowledge; a loving on-planet map.

• Locked thread