Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Here comes the police detail train! Choo choo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Uncle Enzo posted:

Because they're out to get you? They're not there to help you, they're there to amass evidence so you can be charged. You're lucky if they don't shoot you.

Why is it so hosed though? Why do people accept living in some dystopian nightmare where any interaction with the police ends with you getting hosed up?

Or does it not happen and it's just some weird internet fantasy bullshit where some guy you knows friend got totally beat by the police for nothing. Because it's either a totally hosed up system or borderline Freeman of the land advice that people are giving out.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce

Aramoro posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the US that 'don't co-operate with the police' is advice people give all the time? What kind of hosed up country do you live in that that's a reasonable thing to do?

If you refuse to provide a roadside breathalyser sample here they just arrest you for failing to provide a sample, I don't see how refusing to co-operate is going to magically make anything better for you.

Cooperating with police in many cases allows them to incriminate you on something unrelated to the reason that you were stopped in the first place. It might seem like a dick move not to invite a cop into your house to talk to you about something you witnessed, but then they're able to look wherever they want.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Eponine posted:

Cooperating with police in many cases allows them to incriminate you on something unrelated to the reason that you were stopped in the first place. It might seem like a dick move not to invite a cop into your house to talk to you about something you witnessed, but then they're able to look wherever they want.

I get why you do it, but does that actually really happen or is it just some weird fantasy akin to being a Freeman. I just don't get why the police would be looking to incriminate you for something you haven't done. Then if they do in fact do this as routinely as you say, why do you accept that from your law enforcement?

Recommending to people to refuse a roadside breathalyser just seems like a terrible terrible idea because won't they just arrest you for not co-operating. It's just like Freeman using their magic words to escape the police.

Aramoro has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Nov 27, 2015

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Cops have an ''us vs them'' mentality.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I think the bottom line of what he's asking is "why are they 'out to get you', why are they always looking 'for evidence to incriminate you', why do they have such an 'us vs them mentality', what the gently caress is wrong with US police and why do Americans put up with it? :stare:". Because in other countries the police generally exist to, shock and horror, enforce the law. What I'm about to say is an anecdote but no more than half this argument, in Australia I've been pulled over for random roadside breath tests plenty of times, afaik you can't and certainly no one tries to refuse, and when I've blown 0.00 I've been free to go, rather than having the contents of my car thrown in a ditch and everyone thinking that's normal.

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Nobody cares about your opinions about the police holy poo poo

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Aramoro posted:

I get why you do it, but does that actually really happen or is it just some weird fantasy akin to being a Freeman. I just don't get why the police would be looking to incriminate you for something you haven't done. Then if they do in fact do this as routinely as you say, why do you accept that from your law enforcement?

Recommending to people to refuse a roadside breathalyser just seems like a terrible terrible idea because won't they just arrest you for not co-operating. It's just like Freeman using their magic words to escape the police.

refusing a breathalyzer will never help you, however you should not allow police to search your vehicle or come into your home without a warrant. THe reason we accept this is because most people are convinced it will never happen to them as they are not a criminal, and the just world fallacy. also we have no means to change the police dept short of mass protests and rioting since there are no civilian oversight boards or anything. the police are 100% removed from normal law.

LookieLoo
Feb 10, 2011

The schadenfreude is the USA.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah if you watch UK's Police Enforcers or any of those programmes where cameras follow the Police around, it seems that if you are co-operative and generally decent to the Police you're much less likely to get hassle. I thought that was the case everywhere. Sorry America.

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/06/28/politics/justices-rule-police-do-not-have-a-constitutional-duty-to-protect-someone.html

It's because the States don't actually force police to protect it's citizens. It's like how Japan is hosed with their healthcare system where if you get hosed up the hospitals can just reject you until you die in an ambulance to another one across the city. It's a fundamental problem with the system that encourages those behaviours.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Cops have hosed with me every single time I've been pulled over, and I'm a white looking Hispanic guy with an Italian last name. I can't imagine what it would be like for an actual minority in the US.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Rondette posted:

Yeah if you watch UK's Police Enforcers or any of those programmes where cameras follow the Police around, it seems that if you are co-operative and generally decent to the Police you're much less likely to get hassle. I thought that was the case everywhere. Sorry America.

It is the case everywhere if you don't start screeching "am I being detained" and being a difficult rear end in a top hat about everything when you come within 10 ft of an officer. It's no guarantee, but more often than not cooperating with the police is the safer, less time consuming option. Not all cops are the judge dredd types that goons are always Literally Shaking about.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Rondette posted:

Comparing the US Cops show to similar shows from other countries is always hilarious. In this video a New Zealand police officer is questioning a youth who had been acting suspiciously at 3am. In the US he'd probably be face down in cuffs at this point, in NZ he's being given fatherly advice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2NhQmZ3S6E

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.

Murphy Brownback posted:

It is the case everywhere if you don't start screeching "am I being detained" and being a difficult rear end in a top hat about everything when you come within 10 ft of an officer. It's no guarantee, but more often than not cooperating with the police is the safer, less time consuming option. Not all cops are the judge dredd types that goons are always Literally Shaking about.

This. Even if you're in a state that says they have to arrest you first, you've already been pulled over on suspicion of DUI. It's forcing them to go through with the extra step of arresting you that's more likely to piss them off, and it basically gives them an excuse to gently caress with you. If you're drunk and try to be a smartass, most states will penalize you harder for being difficult. If you're sober and just go along with it, you'll still probably get ticketed for whatever lesser offenses led the cop to pull you over in the first place, but it's going to be less hassle overall.

But by all means, go ahead and get pulled over for DUI and throw a hissy fit about how you're not required to submit to a breath test. Just remember to post the results here for our entertainment.

TNO has a new favorite as of 17:37 on Nov 27, 2015

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Comparing the US Cops show to similar shows from other countries is always hilarious. In this video a New Zealand police officer is questioning a youth who had been acting suspiciously at 3am. In the US he'd probably be face down in cuffs at this point, in NZ he's being given fatherly advice.

Not to forget Norway :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cd8ZTKU8csw

Double Bill
Jan 29, 2006

This must've made a pretty majestic CLANG

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

keep an unopened can of beer in your car and when you get pulled over while drunk, step out of the car, open the can and chug it in front of the cop

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

im pooping! posted:

keep an unopened can of beer in your car and when you get pulled over while drunk, step out of the car, open the can and chug it in front of the cop

This One Weird Trick To Get Out Of A DUI! Cops Hate Him!

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

im pooping! posted:

keep an unopened can of beer bottle of bleach in your car and when you get pulled over while drunk, step out of the car, open the can and chug it in front of the cop

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

im pooping! posted:

keep an unopened can of beer in your car and when you get pulled over while drunk, step out of the car, open the can and literally kill the cop. gently caress the police!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Aramoro posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with the US that 'don't co-operate with the police' is advice people give all the time? What kind of hosed up country do you live in that that's a reasonable thing to do?

If you refuse to provide a roadside breathalyser sample here they just arrest you for failing to provide a sample, I don't see how refusing to co-operate is going to magically make anything better for you.

Aramoro posted:

Why is it so hosed though? Why do people accept living in some dystopian nightmare where any interaction with the police ends with you getting hosed up?

Or does it not happen and it's just some weird internet fantasy bullshit where some guy you knows friend got totally beat by the police for nothing. Because it's either a totally hosed up system or borderline Freeman of the land advice that people are giving out.

Aramoro posted:

what the gently caress are you doing

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Most people panic and immediately submit to the roadside breathalyzer. This is wrong, and arouses contempt in the cop heart.

I worked for a DUI lawyer for a while and did evidence review on hundreds of DUI cases. If you are pulled over and you are drunk, you are hosed. If you pass the field sobriety test, you're still still brought it for other involuntary indicators that you've been drinking like nystagmus, slurred speech, glazed eyes or scent of alcohol; coupled with the reason you were pulled over in the first place. You don't have to submit to the preliminary breathalyzer but if you don't submit to the one at the station, you will lose your license. There is no sovereign citizen argument that will get you out of this, if you've been pulled over you've already lost. Any contraband you have in the car will be found and you will be charged with the possession of it in addition unless you had a truly inspired hiding place.

Now that we've cleared that up, new FailArmy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK1swTwB-9o

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Maybe just don't drive if you have any alcohol in your system at all so it doesn't matter if you do the roadside test or the one at the station. This is one weird trick to keep you from getting a DUI.

Gross Dude
Feb 5, 2007

Gross Dude

Murphy Brownback posted:

Maybe just don't drive if you have any alcohol in your system at all so it doesn't matter if you do the roadside test or the one at the station. This is one weird trick to keep you from getting a DUI.

Wow, what kind of puritanical fantasy land do you live in? Hey, how about I just ride my unicorn instead of driving when I'm drunk?

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

LookieLoo posted:

The schadenfreude is the USA. goon derails.

Want a great derail? Head on over to PYF funny picture and read goons sperg about CGI in movies :jerkbag:

LogisticEarth
Mar 28, 2004

Someone once told me, "Time is a flat circle".
Why are we on a police/DUI derail in the Schadenfreude thread when it's Black Friday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnObuusAYlU

fake edit:

LookieLoo posted:

The schadenfreude is the USA.

Greybone
May 25, 2003

Not the red cross.
Black Friday schadenfreude is on Norway - we blindly import any american holiday/event, including this one.
Some of the big retail chains have started their own black friday .. week?

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

LogisticEarth posted:

Why are we on a police/DUI derail in the Schadenfreude thread when it's Black Friday?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnObuusAYlU

fake edit:

WORLD STAR! WORLD STAR! WORLD STAR! WORLD STAR!

A FUCKIN CANARY!!
Nov 9, 2005

Murphy Brownback posted:

Because then you get a public intoxication charge for walking/taking public transit home.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Honestly your best bet is to just shoot a cop in the face whenever you see one.

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Because then you get a public intoxication charge for walking/taking public transit home.
Sleeping in the back seat of the car, too.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
Wherein a cat encounters a wasp

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

speshl guy posted:

Most people panic and immediately submit to the roadside breathalyzer. This is wrong, and arouses contempt in the cop heart.

I worked for a DUI lawyer for a while and did evidence review on hundreds of DUI cases. If you are pulled over and you are drunk, you are hosed. If you pass the field sobriety test, you're still still brought it for other involuntary indicators that you've been drinking like nystagmus, slurred speech, glazed eyes or scent of alcohol; coupled with the reason you were pulled over in the first place. You don't have to submit to the preliminary breathalyzer but if you don't submit to the one at the station, you will lose your license. There is no sovereign citizen argument that will get you out of this, if you've been pulled over you've already lost. Any contraband you have in the car will be found and you will be charged with the possession of it in addition unless you had a truly inspired hiding place.

I'm not a fancy lawyer type, but does the Fifth Amendment help any?

Joe the Strummer
Jun 14, 2012

Vertical videos are a SIN

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17uHCHfgs60

I heart bacon
Nov 18, 2007

:burger: It's burgin' time! :burger:

:patriot: That guy is awesome. Calling out the vertical and holding a nerf gun.

Vertical videos are even worse when they don't black out the sides. Don't distract me with the blurry nonsense on the sides! :argh:

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

I heart bacon posted:

:patriot: That guy is awesome. Calling out the vertical and holding a nerf gun.

Vertical videos are even worse when they don't black out the sides. Don't distract me with the blurry nonsense on the sides! :argh:

Honestly I wouldn't care about vertical videos so much if so many places didn't do that. What is even the point of that?

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012

Met posted:

I'm not a fancy lawyer type, but does the Fifth Amendment help any?

Any police officer worth his salt will be able to tell as soon as your window is down that you've been ingesting mind-altering substances. At this point refusing to answer questions the cop knows the answer to will succeed only in pissing him or her off.

Evoking the 5th amendment would probably be advisable if, say, you possessed something or did something unrelated to the reason for him or her pulling you over. Police officers in many jurisdictions confiscate large amounts of cash that they come across during the application of their duties with impunity so feel free to avoid mentioning the $6000 in cash you have in your wheel well that you were planning to use for the down payment on a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Some jurisdictions will take you to the hospital to have your blood drawn instead of a breathalyzer, and you are equally expected to submit to this test. I find this practice ethically dubious because it will give a positive for marijuana even if you haven't smoked in days, compounding your DUI charges. So avoid mentioning past substance use.

That being said, mixing substances is statistically proven to exponentially increase chances of an accident, so refrain from doing so.

Also, please don't drive under the influence. I've seen enough crippled innocent people and teenage obituaries for one lifetime.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

I know the dude's voice is masked or whatever, and I sure as hell don't speak Norwegian, but I'm just going to pretend that you guys have Klingons in Norway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

speshl guy posted:

Any police officer worth his salt will be able to tell as soon as your window is down that you've been ingesting mind-altering substances. At this point refusing to answer questions the cop knows the answer to will succeed only in pissing him or her off.

Evoking the 5th amendment would probably be advisable if, say, you possessed something or did something unrelated to the reason for him or her pulling you over. Police officers in many jurisdictions confiscate large amounts of cash that they come across during the application of their duties with impunity so feel free to avoid mentioning the $6000 in cash you have in your wheel well that you were planning to use for the down payment on a house.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kEpZWGgJks

Some jurisdictions will take you to the hospital to have your blood drawn instead of a breathalyzer, and you are equally expected to submit to this test. I find this practice ethically dubious because it will give a positive for marijuana even if you haven't smoked in days, compounding your DUI charges. So avoid mentioning past substance use.

That being said, mixing substances is statistically proven to exponentially increase chances of an accident, so refrain from doing so.

Also, please don't drive under the influence. I've seen enough crippled innocent people and teenage obituaries for one lifetime.

Hmm, interesting post. Post more.