Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

Antillie posted:

This is actually very disappointing to hear. But think its worth a free trial at least.

The enemies themselves are much less static than FFXI enemies; pretty quickly you'll get punished if you just park yourself somewhere and try to do a fixed combo without reacting to anything else that's going on.

If you don't want a class with a set rotation, try archer/bard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
double post

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.

Dross posted:

I got Heavensward on sale and resubbed, but I want to start over. What non-Excalibur goon guild has the most active members?

Gilgamesh has a few goons here and there. Of the fc's on here, Elysium has Chyea and me. I think I recall Ultros or Cactuar having more goons.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Antillie posted:

This is actually very disappointing to hear. But think its worth a free trial at least.

Ultimately it's your call, but I've found it's pretty fun. It lets you focus more on dodging hazards, which is vital to the game. Even when encountering an enemy type for the first time, you'll get the rhythm of generally knowing when an avoidable attack is likely to drop.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Getting real sick of Thordan's Reign "clear" PFs where several members (regularly including the leader) have never seen past Ultimate End.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

You're worried about the combat being too simple but if all the low DPS shitters I always get paired up with in DF are any indication it's not all that simple.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Antillie posted:

Performing your theoretical optimal rotation or priority system is substantially harder in content that doesn't let you just stand there and turret. Which is most content.

To call classes like Monk or really the game in general simplistic is doing the developers a huge disservice.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Antillie posted:

I actually don't like the fact that WoW has a global cool down. I liked being able to chain Provoke > Sentinel > Flash > Cure IV > Provoke or Sentinel > Rampart > Warcry as PLD. For me the appealing thing was needing to decide when to use my abilities and why in an intelligent manner instead of always spamming things as soon as their cool down ended (Provoke aside). So the occasional flurry of ability usage doesn't bother me. But in WoW having to hit frostbolt every 1.5 seconds because no DD can ever make enough hate to pull the mob off the tank is just boring. When I played BLM I had to carefully manage my spells against my MP pool (which in WoW is basically infinite) and how much hate the tank had so I didn't run out of MP and become useless or get murdered by the mob. As a PLD I had to pace my abilities to what the DDs were doing. Spamming them was actually far less effective than using them at the proper moments. Shield bash was a great tool for stunning a mob if you lost aggro or if the mob was about to use some deadly ability. But it had a long cool down so if you spammed it it didn't do much for you because you would end up using it at the wrong time.

I guess I liked the tactical nature of the combat in FFXI as opposed to WoW's "press a key every 1.5 seconds to win". I like the idea of FFXIV being more casual to FFXI's super hardcore design but I worry that the game play will be a bit too simple to keep me interested during a fight. I suppose I will just have to try the game out and see.

Not seeing the difference here between global cooldown and abilities limited by animation time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ActionZero posted:

Getting real sick of Thordan's Reign "clear" PFs where several members (regularly including the leader) have never seen past Ultimate End.

Welcome to most PF "clear" groups.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Eej posted:

Not seeing the difference here between global cooldown and abilities limited by animation time.
Maybe they're getting global cooldown confused with abilities with a longer cooldown.

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Evil Fluffy posted:

Welcome to most PF "clear" groups.

Where everyone else hopes everyone else doesn't realize they don't know it.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Eej posted:

GCD = move between abilities

Animation-locked abilities usually root you.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

You might like XIV if you don't expect it to be XI, but interesting in its own right.

Just don't pick lancer, it's hideous and what you hate at low levels. You'd probably like Marauder though, if you want to try tanking (and you should, you'd probably like it.) Otherwise, try arcanist or thaumaturge, as they have interesting combat even at lower levels.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Xenoveritas posted:

Somehow he interprets the "we made the localized version too different" as "we're going to make the Japanese version not have any gay NPCs in the future" or something.

I was forcing myself not to tell this person a succinct "get out." The person is absolutely insufferable but I don't want to lose permission to voice my opinions on the OF, even if the OF itself is poo poo.

Even a ton of gay posters in the thread were making long paragraphs telling him that he's absolutely insane. It's a trainwreck without any sort of comeuppance for the person. I know they're just going to continue to be dumb and post the same kind of poo poo elsewhere.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Boten Anna posted:

thaumaturge

Boten Anna posted:

interesting combat even at lower levels.

thm is one of the most boring classes in the game at lower levels

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

sword_man.gif posted:

Yeah I was about to say...

Most classes in this game are guilty to one degree or another of their kit really not coming together until the 30s/40s but DRG and BLM are some of the worst offenders

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I would actually recommend Archer as a good gateway into the game. You get most of your toolkit rather early on so combat gets pretty active straight away compared to other jobs that really don't open up for quite some time.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.
Pugilist is like the only class that gets a full combo and then some before level 20. It's honestly the only one I remotely enjoy level synced down low.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
At least with Thaum you have to rotate between ice and fire, while throwing lightning in there. I found it a bit more interesting than the melee classes.

Moot loving point since CNJ is the best.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
Low level THM isn't that bad really compared to Lancer.

The problem with low level THM is that after playing BLM at 40+ then returning to it is like chopping all your limbs off.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

ilifinicus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L41DwQ4f3FE

the difference in the cutscenes should be telling enough for this

What cutscene is this? As I don't remember that specific flourish, but then again 2.0 and stuff was quite a while ago. I play with JP voices on, so now I'm curious how the interplay of English Client and JP voices vs JP client and JP voices goes.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Performing your theoretical optimal rotation or priority system is substantially harder in content that doesn't let you just stand there and turret. Which is most content.

To call classes like Monk or really the game in general simplistic is doing the developers a huge disservice.

poo poo if anything I'd say this game probably has the most complex classes of any mmo I've played.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

sword_man.gif posted:

Yeah, and it's boring until like 42 at which point it suddenly gets pretty good and transitions to loving awesome over the last few levels to 50

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Eimi posted:

poo poo if anything I'd say this game probably has the most complex classes of any mmo I've played.

What other MMOs have you played, if any?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
In any case he's not going to like FFXIV because every class maximizes its GCD use while in WoW there are specs that don't want to mash a button every GCD. He wants to play autoattack simulator 2003 not a modern MMO.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Evil Fluffy posted:

What other MMOs have you played, if any?

WoW, SWTOR, AoC, WAR, Aion, TERA, tried Blade and Soul, FFXI, probably more than I can think of. The only one that would come close is WoW, and I only played very casually in MoP, but I felt the classes I played then (Frost DK, Ret PLD) were very simple compared to Mnk and Drg. Granted it might be because XIV doesn't allow the panoply of UI mods that simplify poo poo that WoW does.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Eej posted:

In any case he's not going to like FFXIV because every class maximizes its GCD use while in WoW there are specs that don't want to mash a button every GCD. He wants to play autoattack simulator 2003 not a modern MMO.

Runescape it is then

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Antillie posted:

I actually don't like the fact that WoW has a global cool down. I liked being able to chain Provoke > Sentinel > Flash > Cure IV > Provoke or Sentinel > Rampart > Warcry as PLD. For me the appealing thing was needing to decide when to use my abilities and why in an intelligent manner instead of always spamming things as soon as their cool down ended (Provoke aside). So the occasional flurry of ability usage doesn't bother me. But in WoW having to hit frostbolt every 1.5 seconds because no DD can ever make enough hate to pull the mob off the tank is just boring. When I played BLM I had to carefully manage my spells against my MP pool (which in WoW is basically infinite) and how much hate the tank had so I didn't run out of MP and become useless or get murdered by the mob. As a PLD I had to pace my abilities to what the DDs were doing. Spamming them was actually far less effective than using them at the proper moments. Shield bash was a great tool for stunning a mob if you lost aggro or if the mob was about to use some deadly ability. But it had a long cool down so if you spammed it it didn't do much for you because you would end up using it at the wrong time.

I guess I liked the tactical nature of the combat in FFXI as opposed to WoW's "press a key every 1.5 seconds to win". I like the idea of FFXIV being more casual to FFXI's super hardcore design but I worry that the game play will be a bit too simple to keep me interested during a fight. I suppose I will just have to try the game out and see.

Play a healer or a tank. Yes you will be doing a lot of combos and to be good you have to constantly keep the GCD going but the rotations are more about deciding how much time you can spend dpsing rather than healing, or whether to even bother with tank stance and defensive cooldown usage to efficiently mitigate damage.

The yardstick that performance in this game is measured by is DPS, and baseline execution of your job is brain dead easy no matter what. You will need to redefine your expectations but if you go in attempting to maximize your performance you will probably find the game perfectly interesting.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So, if I understand that correctly, they rewrote Haurchefaunt's dialogue not because they didn't want a gay NPC, but because they didn't want a camp gay NPC?

kafziel
Nov 11, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

So, if I understand that correctly, they rewrote Haurchefaunt's dialogue not because they didn't want a gay NPC, but because they didn't want a camp gay NPC?

He's not camp gay, he's not even specifically gay. He's really into you, the adventurer, and a big fan of boisterous physicality in general. Anything to get the blood pumping and the sweat flowing. He also does enjoy scanty underwear.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

He's PCsexual.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Probably fear of western parents flipping out and the game getting a higher rating than teen when the main character gets solicited.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Huh, so that feeling I had that he was a little too into my character was, in fact, intended. Did not expect that.

On an unrelated note, how screwed am I as a healer going into Void Ark over the weekend?

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Kwyndig posted:

Huh, so that feeling I had that he was a little too into my character was, in fact, intended. Did not expect that.

On an unrelated note, how screwed am I as a healer going into Void Ark over the weekend?

Cuchulainn is going to be fun times, especially if the bleeds start stacking up. Other than that, I didn't have any problems when I healed it.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

vOv posted:

He's PCsexual.

Given how into the adventurer he is, you might say that he's boukensexual.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Just discovered /gpose, it's kind of neat

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Robo Reagan posted:

Yeah, and it's boring until like 42 at which point it suddenly gets pretty good and transitions to loving awesome over the last few levels to 50

One of my top 5 moments in gaming was figuring out how to flare properly

So satisfying

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Triple flare is back! Though I have no clue how much a max-ether costs.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
8-9k a pop.

Dross
Sep 26, 2006

Every night he puts his hot dogs in the trees so the pigeons can't get them.

Eej posted:

in WoW there are specs that don't want to mash a button every GCD

Maybe in vanilla, but I've played almost every DPS spec at 100 and if you're not pressing a button at all times you're suboptimal. The only classes that ever take longer than a GCD between skill uses are the ones that use Energy as their primary resource.

Also, I am an idiot because Excalibur was accepting new characters for a brief shining moment just now, I made one but then gave it a stupid name so I backed out, deleted, and character creation was locked again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Eimi posted:

What cutscene is this? As I don't remember that specific flourish, but then again 2.0 and stuff was quite a while ago. I play with JP voices on, so now I'm curious how the interplay of English Client and JP voices vs JP client and JP voices goes.

I played Ret PLD once and at the point I played it was literally as easy as pressing 1,2,3,4,5 in order. It's hard to avail class difficulty in general though because they change greatly from expansion to expansion. From what I hear I think the overall difficulty in WoW is more normalized today. I >think< that FFXIV is slightly harder overall, as a whole.

With that said, WOTLK Feral Druid was pretty crazy and I think it was the first case of the John Madden rotation jokes in WoW. From Ulduar through ICC there were two sets of rotations/priority lists, the "Default" and the "Hard" one. The default was already harder to pull off properly than any other class I ever played (including Feral post-wotlk), and by the end of ICC there was only one player (some Korean dude) who could pull off 100% of the Hard rotation in Heroic bosses.

• Locked thread