Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you a
This poll is closed.
homeowner 39 22.41%
renter 69 39.66%
stupid peace of poo poo 66 37.93%
Total: 174 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Laverna posted:

Fish 'n' chips and pies are British.

British fish n chips are loving poo poo though. They sit there all day in a loving pie warmer, the idea of cooking to order is lost on them. You are also expected to pay seven pounds for your pie warmer fish. The pies are good but they're more a pub meal than something you buy from a dairy or bakery for lunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Wafflecopper posted:

British fish n chips are loving poo poo though. They sit there all day in a loving pie warmer, the idea of cooking to order is lost on them. You are also expected to pay seven pounds for your pie warmer fish. The pies are good but they're more a pub meal than something you buy from a dairy or bakery for lunch.

Our pies and fish might be better, but they're not a concept that's unique to or originating from our country, which is the point I was trying to make. :(

We have really good steak too.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Well, the only comestible I can actually think of that's a) unambiguously New Zealand in origin and b) widely available to consumers would be L&P (I have yet to see a Maori restaurant anywhere in this country, which is something of a pity as I'd be quite interested in trying one), and we might as well claim pavlova, since it's not like that argument will ever be settled either way. But it doesn't matter a great deal whether or not a dish is actually from here; we do cook a lot of food better than you could find it in its country of origin, largely due to the fact that the quality of ingredients you can get in this country is so high.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Here in London there's a "New Zealand" restaurant called Kopapa (http://www.kopapa.co.uk/) which has basically zero New Zealand dishes and is more of a melange of Pacific/South Asian influences.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Laverna posted:

What else is there?

Off the top of my head, identifiably NZ stuff we can claim or own at/with/in (that aren't rugby or Maori culture):

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Laverna posted:

It's a pretty sad feeling when you realise most of the things New Zealanders regard as cultural identity are either shared or hotly contested with another country.

What would you say is NZ's national food?
If you're overseas and you want to make a good old kiwi dish to share with your new mates what is your go-to choice?

Fish 'n' chips and pies are British. Pavlova is argued over with Aussies. What else is there?

Rewena bread and hokey pokey ice cream.

The Schwa
Jul 1, 2008

Slavvy posted:

Off the top of my head, identifiably NZ stuff we can claim or own at/with/in (that aren't rugby or Maori culture):

They definitely have spots in the States, they're just not as common. They call them knife spots, too.

Sorry :(

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Slavvy posted:

Spots, foreign ownership of businesses with NZ in the title, legalizing gay marriage, road deaths, and laying the ground work for weapons of mass destruction?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

The Sin of Onan posted:

(I have yet to see a Maori restaurant anywhere in this country, which is something of a pity as I'd be quite interested in trying one)

I've seen a few Hangi stalls at night markets in Wellington and Auckland, the one I tried was pretty good.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

They're not hard to come by down here in Rotorua.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I like the peaty taste of hangi. Last one I had was a good few years ago for a workmates rugby fundraiser.

This is in Christchurch so it's not exactly a renowned center of Maori culture.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

A friend of mind has a long held ambition to fill a truck with dirt and start a portable hangi business.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
Lolly cake :barf:

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

great now I'm hungry again

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I just remembered that a friend of mine came back to NZ for a few weeks during the 2014/15 holiday season, and what she really craved was a V.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

Slavvy posted:

Should probably add hobbits, Flight of the Conchords and that clip of John Oliver mocking our fleg

Ivor Biggun fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 26, 2015

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Does anyone have any experience with identity theft type stuff? I just got randomly baycorped over a two thousand dollar mobile bill under my name for a phone number I've never heard of and an address I've never lived at. The collection agency said they'd get in touch with Vodafone etc so I can sort this out with the pigs. Anything I need to watch out for?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
Could have just been someone with the same name as you?

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
This is just getting sad now

Hey Guyz we were mentioned by someonE!!!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

bobbilljim posted:

Could have just been someone with the same name as you?

Heh. Not a possibility, trust me.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:
My money's on it being a goon.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
Hooton, so likely bullshit. Interesting tho.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Please make the title "the Retail aspects of the Prime Ministership"

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

NZAmoeba posted:

This is just getting sad now

Hey Guyz we were mentioned by someonE!!!

Don't worry guys, we can change our flag to throw them off!

Slavvy posted:

Heh. Not a possibility, trust me.

That's what my dad thought when he got a ticket for someone who shares his extremely unusual name. Turns out there was a long-lost branch of the extended family in NZ who we never knew about.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

NZAmoeba posted:

We don't have one, our speciality is producing good quality primary ingredients. Then we needed immigrants to come here and show us what could actually be done with the amazing food we produced, because before that entire aisles of the supermarket were dedicated to watties baked beans.

I don't know if you were being ironic, so this. Unironically.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

WarpedNaba posted:

I don't know if you were being ironic, so this. Unironically.

I meant it. The baked beans anecdote is a favourite of my parent's when they talk about emigrating here in the 70s. That and Auckland airport being a very large tin shed, with a single desk for customs.

"You here to visit or to stay?"
"stay..."
*stamp* *stamp*
"Welcome to New Zealand"

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Oh, nice. My family didn't tell me the circumstances of our immigration to NZ in the mid 90s until I was old enough to understand the concept of sedition.

Also, I hear our baked beans are apparently really sweet. Every German I've met complained about them whenever the topic strayed towards kiwi food.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

I have nothing to compare them to but yeah that poo poo is pretty sugary.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Baked beans are disgusting trash. Only people who would eat a burger without pickles would eat them willingly.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe
Following food chat:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2015/nov/27/new-zealand-obesity-campaigner-quits-saying-country-has-made-no-progress

NZ is so fat that the person whose job it is to tell us not to be fat is resigning.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Speaking of kiwi inventions or culture or whatever, you guys know that the reason babies can be born prematurely and survive now is because of a kiwi.

Real talk though, people who say NZ has no culture are dumb, of course we do

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

fong posted:

Speaking of kiwi inventions or culture or whatever, you guys know that the reason babies can be born prematurely and survive now is because of a kiwi.

yeah, I've seen the ANZ ad

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Exclamation Marx posted:

yeah, I've seen the ANZ ad

There's an ANZ ad about him?

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVXnwWJsxvc

With Lydia Ko and David Trubridge

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

e: unless you're not talking about Avery

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
quote isn;t edit

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Graham Liggins, he died in 2010. He was the one who realised steroids would develop babies lungs, so they can survive if theyre born before like 33 or 34 weeks now.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

This is a thing I stay up to discuss.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

fong posted:

Real talk though, people who say NZ has no culture are dumb, of course we do

I'm not saying NZ has no culture, only that the vast majority of it is athlete's foot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

WarpedNaba posted:

I'm not saying NZ has no culture, only that the vast majority of it is athlete's foot.

Hey they produce a pretty good Blue cheese down in Otago.

• Locked thread