Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Or just have junk weigh nothing. I'd rather just see equip burden gone though. I enjoy inventory management to some degree when it's done right, but going through giant lists of stuff isn't fun at all and adds nothing to the game imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
I'd like some kind of deployable drop bag item that I can place wherever I'm looting, fill with all my junk, and then one of my provisioners will come pick it up and chuck the stuff into my workshop after some reasonable number of hours.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
^Thats a great idea and would be a good reward for doing minutemen quests.

NESguerilla posted:

I am so loving over equip burden in bethesda games. This one seems like the worst since it encourages you to be a junk hoarder too. Just making me stop dead in my tracks like 5 times during every quest is such a momentum breaking buzzkill.

Even games like Souls have gotten rid of that stupid poo poo at this point.

My basic weapon/armor loadout is 100+ pounds and my current char has 2 str lmao.

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 28, 2015

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Another thing this highlights is how Bethesda refuse to implement any kind of auto-sort/go-bag functionality into the play housing, when every decent house mod has this and any sane player will use it to bypass hours of brainless item shuffling in between dungeon crawls.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

Or just have junk weigh nothing.
Yeah, ammo already weighs nothing.

It wouldn't be as much an issue if there wasn't a focus on hoarding junk for crafting materials (=mods, settlements) but the carry weight/burden mechanism is exactly the same as previous games without really giving you a good way to shuttle all that extra crafting material weight around.

Seashell Salesman posted:

Another thing this highlights is how Bethesda refuse to implement any kind of auto-sort/go-bag functionality into the play housing, when every decent house mod has this and any sane player will use it to bypass hours of brainless item shuffling in between dungeon crawls.

Yeah this is kind of my overall criticism of the game: it's very Bethesda and doesn't do anything to break from the mold of their previous games. The gameplay is exactly the same and you're certainly not playing it for the story, lol. It feels kinda lazy, they have a formula and stick to it and just sort of shrug and assume modders will take care of polish and quality of life stuff.

Oblivion : Fallout 3 :: Skyrim : Fallout 4

It's a good game but it doesn't do anything new or exciting, more of the same (and maybe a little better quality). Bethesda seems to not care or be actively hostile toward changing or improving their formula.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Nov 28, 2015

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I'd like to see Junk and Building materials split into different tabs too to make it easier to pull junk out and scrap the good stuff since the normal process loses mats (or so I've been told)

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yup. In the old games junk was usually something you picked up by accident or wanted to sell/put in your house. Getting rid of it was no big deal. Now it ties into this secondary part of the game and giving it weight just sucks and gimps your settlement. The drop bag idea is good too, basically anything to make junk less of a burden would be fantastic.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Jesus gently caress, Danse. I've run dozens of missions for the Brotherhood and genocided every mutant/synth ever. What the hell does it take to get into your powered pants?!?

Baronjutter posted:

No, you go there lusting for blood, for victory, for death. Admit it, dehumanize your self and face to bloodshed.

I'm here for your weapons, glue, desk fans and quest experience. Now if you feel like shooting at me when I take them that's your own fault.

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Seashell Salesman posted:

I'd like some kind of deployable drop bag item that I can place wherever I'm looting, fill with all my junk, and then one of my provisioners will come pick it up and chuck the stuff into my workshop after some reasonable number of hours.

I want a mod that allows you to build a vertibird base of your own, and then use the signal grenades to call it to deliver and take your power armor/be able to dump your junk on it for it to take it back to base/deliver and take companions(or combined with a robco ceritifed mod robots yeaaah) etc. Maybe one day. Having your own Vertibird flyby and just drop your power armor as it goes over would be awesome though, it'd do a lot to actually make me use it when I don't have to go to wherever I dumped it and travel all the way back.

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

Touch of Green is pretty nice to have after a full playthrough, a nice change of scenery:

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Motherfucker posted:

ok so like a good mod would be one that when you pacify a random candy rear end raider or a monster you can walk it back to a settlement and there is a special piece of furniture that when you order them to interact with it they become a part of the settlement. Monsters turn basically into 'dogs' in that they stick to a settlement and provide some defense and fight raiders and poo poo, raiders and stuff turn into settlers and settle down.

This but robots.

I've been poking around to try to figure out what makes people into your settlers, but haven't figured it out yet.

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice

Seditiar posted:

Touch of Green is pretty nice to have after a full playthrough, a nice change of scenery:

I installed it halfway through my first and wouldnt think of going back. I think it gives the game a much better atmosphere.

I think vanilla feels more like a fantasy world than a postap earth.

E.well not 200 years postap anyway

BIG PUFFY NIPS fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Nov 28, 2015

afkmacro
Mar 29, 2009

So question about Kellogg. If he kidnaps your infant child, and you meet your kid when he looks to be about 60 years old how the gently caress is Kellogg still alive?

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

afkmacro posted:

So question about Kellogg. If he kidnaps your infant child, and you meet your kid when he looks to be about 60 years old how the gently caress is Kellogg still alive?

Synth tech? :shrug:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

afkmacro posted:

The guy's a cyborg. Maybe he's got some anti-aging enhancement?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
They bent the whole story around that twist like a pretzel and I kind of love them for it.

Edit: my favourite thing about it is, Kellogg didn't even need to be alive for the twist to work- you progress the story by looting his corpse. They could have just had you find his grave or something with no indication of when he died and it would have changed nothing. But they wanted you to speak to him face to face for some reason so, uh, make him immortal

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 28, 2015

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Raygereio posted:

The guy's a cyborg. Maybe he's got some anti-aging enhancement?

It's pretty clearly explained in the storyline. The Institute dabbled in cybernetic implants, especially for someone like Kellog who's able to do the bulk of their dirty work. It artificially lengthened his life. When you kill him you need to pick up his cyber-brain (and his cyber arm?) to continue the main story quest with Dr. Amari

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Maybe he's just the handsomest ghoul.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

So I just started playing on survival mode and I have to say the game isn't that much harder to play from very hard, but harder to listen to!!! Dear god this constant static is irritating the crap out of me!!! Even when I have my radio off it still goes on! Is there any way to get rid of this infernal interference???

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I dunno I saw that twist telegraphed in the opening bits when you wake up in the Vault once to see Shaun taken and your wife shot, then you go back to sleep and wake up a second time.

It was less of a surprise than making the plot seem a lot more open-ended and less urgent. If Shaun is possibly many years older, he could be any the gently caress where and most any age so hauling rear end looking for him didn't really make much sense to me at the start. The trail's probably pretty cold.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Azhais posted:

I'd like to see Junk and Building materials split into different tabs too to make it easier to pull junk out and scrap the good stuff since the normal process loses mats (or so I've been told)
This is both incorrect and laughably easy to prove as being incorrect. Go try it yourself, you won't lose jack poo poo.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
Does a weapon's damage scale with the level at which you acquire it?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

MY ABACUS! posted:

Only in the sense that when you level up you can pick perks that increase damage for weapons?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Sonofsilversign posted:

^Thats a great idea and would be a good reward for doing minutemen quests.

Railroad sends runners (you never see them), Brotherhoods sends a vertibird, Institute gives you a teleport beacon.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

MY ABACUS! posted:

No. It's determined by the base gun type and mods. Your level doesn't directly affect damage at all, you want the rifle, pistol, or automatic perks and Bloody Mess to boost damage.

Many ballistic guns can be modified to fire a larger caliber. For example, a .308 rifle can be up-gunned to .50 cal which is a big boost in damage and an excellent sniper weapon.

A lot of guns also change from pistol to rifle when you lengthen their barrel add a stock.

The selection of base gun types is pretty limited, actually. There are just lots of mods and random Legendary modifiers.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Nov 28, 2015

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

Nope. Scales with perks and mods.

MY ABACUS!
Oct 7, 2003

Katamari do your best!
But the type of power armor you find does scale with level, right?

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

I just really want a mod that separates armor into categories of stackability . Meaning I don't have took through god drat trial and error to see if that raider leg will go over my trousers or not

HnK416
Apr 26, 2008

Hot diggity damn!
You know what's going to be awesome? When the GECK comes out and modders can loving slim down the comically oversized guns.

Yea, that'll be great :allears:

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MY ABACUS! posted:

No but at higher levels you'll find guns that have already been modded more frequently

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

HnK416 posted:

You know what's going to be awesome? When the GECK comes out and modders can loving slim down the comically oversized guns.

Yea, that'll be great :allears:

Can they bulk shoulders up to WoW levels?

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

MY ABACUS! posted:

But the type of power armor you find does scale with level, right?

Same as weapons, they scale with perks and mods.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
So I just met Nick and got him out of the place he was in. I'm supposed to talk to him to advance the quest but he's not saying anything.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Speaking of weapons, it's probably better to think about them in terms of ammunition rather than type since a lot can be switched from pistol to rifle by adding a stock.

PISTOL CARTRIDGES
.38 pipe pistol/rifle
.45 pipe revolver pistol/rifle
.45 submachine gun
10mm pistol
.44 pistol

(mostly) RIFLE CARTRIDGES
.308 pipe bolt action rifle/pistol
.308 hunting rifle
.45 combat rifle
5.56mm assault rifle
railway rifle
(.50 cal in upgunned hunting rifles for example)

SHELLS
double-barreled shotgun
combat shotgun

ENERGY WEAPONS
laser pistol/rifle
plasma pistol/rifle
gamma gun
gauss rifle

...and I think that's all the base non-heavy ranged weapons. There really aren't that many, just lots of mods and Legendary "enchants."

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Nov 28, 2015

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

Pumpy Dumper posted:

Can they bulk shoulders up to WoW levels?

We need some bad lore to go with the increased shoulder size.

Who am I kidding -- it's Bethesda, and it's not TES -- bad lore is a given!

Pellisworth posted:

...and I think that's all the base non-heavy weapons. There really aren't that many, just lots of mods and Legendary "enchants."

To be honest, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than Fallout 3 handled this issue. Raiders carrying various heavily moddable pieces of poo poo (pipe weaponry) and the occasional combat rifle, combat shotgun, etc is a lot better than them all carrying a few weapons that everyone else carries, minus energy weapons. Even though everyone has mods of a few weapons, it feels like there's a vast assortment and lots of variation. I, as a player of this game,, like that.

nosl fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Nov 28, 2015

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mr. Stingly posted:

Why do you have to take everything literally? Why do you have to do only what they say. Make your own lore.

"why is the story bad"
"its bad because [reasons that the story is bad]"
"why dont you just make your own story"

Emy
Apr 21, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

Speaking of weapons, it's probably better to think about them in terms of ammunition rather than type since a lot can be switched from pistol to rifle by lengthening the barrel.

You mean by adding a stock.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

bethesda launches half finished games and people lap it up for a decade after they get thousands of man hours of free development in mods (they will in fact be profiting off of these free man hours) so why should they change anything theyre doing

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Emy posted:

You mean by adding a stock.

oops yeah.

I'mma edit that.

But there's a lot fewer basic gun types than you might think, hold onto good Legendary modifiers as you can often convert from pistol to rifle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nosl
Jan 17, 2015

CHIM, bitch!

strong bird posted:

bethesda launches half finished games and people lap it up for a decade so why should they change anything theyre doing

Please don't compare Morrowind to this game. Stop it.

• Locked thread