Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Inherent Vice is 30 dollars at Best Buy.

No other blu ray that isn't a box set or 3D is 30 dollars. Very strange. A case for Doc, indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
A Most Violent Year managed to be extremely good to me but also forgettable.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lil Mama Im Sorry posted:

A Most Violent Year managed to be extremely good to me but also forgettable.

It would probably be in my top whatever still. I really want to see Carol and The Look Of Silence.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Sounds like it should've taken some cues from A Most Violent Year, which a lot of people found dull beyond belief but manages to look quite lush.

Spotlight and A Most Violent Year share the issue of feeling like haltingly adapted stage plays a lot for a lot of their runtime, but they both do a lot to cover that weakness and if you combine the strengths of both you get a near-masterpiece.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I'm still unsure as to what people actually disliked about Inherent Vice.

The way it meanders was not as endearing as something like The Long Goodbye or Big Lebowski. Also it's the worst of Greenwood's work, who I otherwise adore. I still thought some stretches of it, like the Martin Short scenes, were fantastic.

This, though:

Raxivace posted:

For me it's the film's complete lack of anything visually interesting at any point in the movie whatsoever.

Really? That master shot of Hong Chau's spontaneous muff dive into Phoenix moving along with that carpet wall was stupendous, just to name one thing.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

What the hell is happening in Solaris? Earlier on one of the telescreens in the movie I noticed it said "ICP" and not 5 loving minutes later an ICP song is played. I would've totally jumped on this earlier had I known it was Juggalocore.

(also, when it gets to the point in the song where they say "We're the wicked Juggalos" the Amazon subtitles say this):

but continues on with the regular lyrics once it gets passed the indecipherable and indistinct "wicked juggalos" part. I will continue to search this film for ICP references and report back later with my findings.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

That reminds me, I still need to see both Solari.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

GonSmithe posted:

Watching High and Low and seeing every pore dripping every drop of sweat on every actor in the police scene is worth the price of the blu-ray player and the blu itself.

oh man

OH MAN

Self-Christmas-present inbound

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

GonSmithe posted:

You mean you don't like the camera literally always being in someone's face and NOTHING else? But you get to see all of the emotions of the actor's performance unlike a play!!!

The camera work and editing are subpar.

My main problem with it, and this is my fault for being ignorant of the stage musical, is that it's almost entirely sung. I like musicals but I'm more used to the Grease type where the songs are peppered throughout. Le Mis is nothing but singing and the singing is often bad.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Yaws posted:

Le Mis is nothing but singing and the singing is often bad.

The casting choices in that movie are just strange. I mean, Jackman kills it and Hathaway and Redmayne are solid, but then you have Amanda Seyfried warbling like a drunken canary and Crowe visibly focusing so much on hitting his notes (which he fails at most of the time) that he forgets to actually act and emote.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
It's a dreadful film. I made it about 15 minutes in before I had to stop

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.
I like Crowe but his Les Mis performance is an all time stinker. Not quite Leto in the Chapman biopic but woof.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man Youth is an amazing movie. Everyone really is on their A game. Has anyone here seen it? How are Paolo Sorrentino's other movies?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Glamorama26 posted:

I like Crowe but his Les Mis performance is an all time stinker. Not quite Leto in the Chapman biopic but woof.

I didn't think there could be a worse casting decision for a movie musical than Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera.

I was wrong.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Popelmon posted:

Man Youth is an amazing movie. Everyone really is on their A game. Has anyone here seen it? How are Paolo Sorrentino's other movies?

The Great Beauty is one of the best films of the last few years. So stoked for Youth.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

axleblaze posted:

My favorite P T Anderson is still Magnolia. I loves me some Magnolia though it's also kinda away to see why people hate it.

Edit: I love the year Ebert was having guest hosts and he named Magnolia his favorite movie of the year and one of his guest hosts named it the 2nd worst. That was some awkward television.

I'm seconding the love for this one. It's the movie I always suggest people watch if I hear them praise Crash. They're both ensemble films set in Cali, and both have similar editing techniques, but Magnolia is better in every way. Plus the scene when the cop doesn't understand the black kid rapping says more about race than the entirety of Crash.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Timby posted:

The casting choices in that movie are just strange. I mean, Jackman kills it and Hathaway and Redmayne are solid, but then you have Amanda Seyfried warbling like a drunken canary and Crowe visibly focusing so much on hitting his notes (which he fails at most of the time) that he forgets to actually act and emote.
Seyfried is so unbelievably awful in that movie. Any vocal coach worth anything would have knocked that terrible warble in her singing out within the first day.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

GonSmithe posted:

Seyfried is so unbelievably awful in that movie. Any vocal coach worth anything would have knocked that terrible warble in her singing out within the first day.

The other thing is that no one was helped by Hooper insisting that all the songs be sung live on the set. I could maybe have understood that if it were a cast full of trained Broadway singers, but it wasn't, and so many of the performances suffer for it.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

Kull the Conqueror posted:

The Great Beauty is one of the best films of the last few years. So stoked for Youth.

And it's on Netflix! Now I know what I'm going to watch tomorrow.
I'm still wrapping my head around Youth. I was really surprised by how easily it switched between serious stuff and being really loving funny. It felt a bit like a Wes Anderson movie at times.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm6JnhPbHCQ
The best subculture

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Le Mis looks like a bad fan film where they got top of the line equipment, but didn't bother to put any effort anywhere else. It's embarrassingly amateurish and there are no-budget films that look more competent. Some shots honestly look like outtakes used in error.

I think I made it 30 minutes before giving up.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So since I've long since moved on from playing on my phone during a movie in theaters that doesn't interest me much, I guess now I've taken to falling asleep during those kinds of movies instead. Like I saw The Secret In Their Eyes the other day and slept through most of that. And I just got home from seeing Legend, but I couldn't tell you what I thought of it overall because I must've slept through an hour and a half of it :shrug:

None of the parts I was awake for were very interesting. Although Emily Browning (who plays Frances) is insanely attractive. Like, I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with a woman who looks like that :swoon:

But uhh, I definitely thought the trailer gave away that Tom Hardy had split personality disorder and that Ronnie and Reggie Kray were actually just one dude, but the last 20 minutes or so of the movie (which I woke up for) did not seem to support that at all. In fact it's mentioned in the end titles that the two brothers have separate fates, so was the trailer intentionally designed to throw people off or did I pick up on something in the trailer that wasn't actually there at all? Maybe I'm remembering this entirely incorrectly, but I saw that trailer before other movies in theaters for months and I could've sworn that's what this movie was going to be about.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

This is just hilariously awful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRzvdQh8D2Q

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

The Keye and Peele Les Mis sketch is seriously better than the actual movie in every way
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__d2FMCtgi4

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

But uhh, I definitely thought the trailer gave away that Tom Hardy had split personality disorder and that Ronnie and Reggie Kray were actually just one dude, but the last 20 minutes or so of the movie (which I woke up for) did not seem to support that at all. In fact it's mentioned in the end titles that the two brothers have separate fates, so was the trailer intentionally designed to throw people off or did I pick up on something in the trailer that wasn't actually there at all? Maybe I'm remembering this entirely incorrectly, but I saw that trailer before other movies in theaters for months and I could've sworn that's what this movie was going to be about.

It's based on true events, so I think you were making assumptions

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Well, I knew they were real dudes beforehand so I didn't get that from the trailer at all.

I do like the idea of making real people outright fictional characters in movies.

Like in Straight Outta Compton, make Dre a split personality and Cube a cartoon bunny.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

that sound when he hits. :laffo:

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

Popelmon posted:

And it's on Netflix! Now I know what I'm going to watch tomorrow.
I'm still wrapping my head around Youth. I was really surprised by how easily it switched between serious stuff and being really loving funny. It felt a bit like a Wes Anderson movie at times.

In terms of other Sorrentino I've seen, Great Beauty is brilliant, Consequences Of Love is great, This Must Be The Place got kind of a backlash as being his first English-language thing and having a truly bizarre plot arc but if you dig other Sorrentino it's definitely worth seeing. Il Divo, a semi-experimental biopic of hugely controversial prime minister Giulio Andreotti, is a total masterpiece but fairly impenetrable unless you're broadly familiar with post-war Italian history. Luckily post-war Italian history is insanely violent and clandestine so it's fascinating to find out about. Family Friend I couldn't get into at all but I'll come back to it eventually.

edit: I am mad envious you got to see Youth already but I'm glad it's up to form

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

morestuff posted:

It's based on true events, so I think you were making assumptions

LesterGroans posted:

Well, I knew they were real dudes beforehand so I didn't get that from the trailer at all.

I do like the idea of making real people outright fictional characters in movies.

Like in Straight Outta Compton, make Dre a split personality and Cube a cartoon bunny.
Well poo poo. That's one of the main reasons I went to see it! I mean, Tom Hardy playing a mentally unstable gangster who ruled London as 2 separate personalities sounded pretty rad to me, but that's not really what it turned out to be. At least, from what I saw of it.

That would've been a much more interesting movie, I think.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Does the film mention that Ronnie Kray was probably loving two different members of parliament in the 60's and that this might have allowed them to get away with a lot of stuff because basically everyone in power didn't want to poke the hornets nest out of fear that it might become known that politicians were having gay sex with a gangster?

Because that's pretty great.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

that sound when he hits. :laffo:

I laughed so hard that I was almost crying when that happened in the theater. My wife wanted to kill me.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Timby posted:

I laughed so hard that I was almost crying when that happened in the theater. My wife wanted to kill me.

The same thing happened with me and my girlfriend at the time. It's such an absolutely ridiculous crack, I don't see how you can not laugh at it.

Shoutout to the song "Stars" for having maybe 2 seconds of actually seeing the sky. Thanks Tom Hooper.

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

The production value is always so good in every Key and Peele sketch. Especially the cinematic spoofs.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Anxiously awaiting the results of the BvS thread mod challenge.

I'm starting to assume that GonSmithe closing the thread is the results of the mod challenge.

The production value is always so good in every Key and Peele sketch. Especially the cinematic spoofs.

Yeah, it's crazy good.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
I chose to use the pencil tool instead of the magic marker in coloring my inks and that was.... a bad call.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sir Kodiak posted:

I'm starting to assume that GonSmithe closing the thread is the results of the mod challenge.

Haha, no, I just got home, I'm typing up my post now.

Glamorama26
Sep 14, 2011

All it comes down to is this: I feel like shit, but look great.

Timby posted:

I didn't think there could be a worse casting decision for a movie musical than Gerard Butler in Phantom of the Opera.

I was wrong.

Holy poo poo, Butler is terrible in that film

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
GonSmithe, that was a good outcome to your challenge.

Unrelated, I really like idea and theme of Tomorrowland, but the movie isn't very good.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

So since I've long since moved on from playing on my phone during a movie in theaters that doesn't interest me much, I guess now I've taken to falling asleep during those kinds of movies instead. Like I saw The Secret In Their Eyes the other day and slept through most of that. And I just got home from seeing Legend, but I couldn't tell you what I thought of it overall because I must've slept through an hour and a half of it :shrug:

None of the parts I was awake for were very interesting. Although Emily Browning (who plays Frances) is insanely attractive. Like, I want to marry and spend the rest of my life with a woman who looks like that :swoon:

Aww is Legend really not good? Its like the only thing besides Hateful 8 im looking forward to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.
Bad musicals own.

Anyway, here's a dope 1970s band I discovered today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3KSpeiRPTc

• Locked thread