Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch

Atlas Moth posted:

It glitches out when you buy past 99, so buy another 25 and it*should work but mileage may vary etc etc. Make sure you do it through the main menu and not the pre-game lobby as well.

Awesome - thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remote User
Nov 17, 2003

Hope deleted.

Milky Moor posted:

i don't get how I can play witcher 3, fallout 4 and pretty much every major release at max resolution and ultra graphics settings yet with battlefront I need to knock everything down to low and can't do normal res

is there something obvious I'm missing? Is it really just that much more intensive?

Make sure Steam isn't running when Origin is. My game slows down if that is the case.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

PC bros, what mumble are you guys using? No one seems to be on CTS, although I guess with the holidays and all..

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

VulgarandStupid posted:

PC bros, what mumble are you guys using? No one seems to be on CTS, although I guess with the holidays and all..

We use CTS but yeah, holidays.

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

Summit posted:

LevelCap suggested this and I think it'd be cool: a game option where everyone plays first person. First person is max immersion and you don't have to deal with your gun shooting into corners. Third person is the min max choice you just have to make unless you really can't stand it. The situational awareness it provides is insane.

Seconding Parkingtigers in saying that this should be called Hardcore <gamemode> so it attracts a few more people, as dumb as that may be. I'll also say that third person can absolutely be immersive, just not when you're a hurrpcmasterraceprogamer type and play at the most obnoxious FOV possible like Levelcap does. It's designed to be played at a middling FOV in a multitude of ways, which makes it even more baffling that they didn't think to split FOV sliders for either perspective.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Gotta say, drop zone and hero hunt are absolutely terrible. The lovely spawn system completely randomized who wins in drop. And hero hunt rewards people who get a thermal and wait for everyone else to actually damage the hero. Not to mention some maps like crater just gently caress some heroes.

Fixed spawns and drop zone would be legit fun. And base who gets hero on damage done and hero hunt would be way more exciting.

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I see Battlefront up for sale for $45 right now, debating getting it. I liked the demo a lot, but if it doesn't have much more than a handful of maps I'm not sure I want to pay that much. Thoughts?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For me, I don't need much map variety. Maps are just a backdrop for the real fun which is the gunplay, physics, heroes, ships, vehicles, etc. People don't complain that basketball is boring and not worth the price of admission because there is only one kind of basketball court. v:shobon:v

If you liked the gameplay you should definitely get it and have some fun playing one of the most atmospheric Star Wars games ever released. If on the other hand you are an arms-crossed angry nerd who needs to compute dollars per feature = fun via a big Excel spreadsheet that checks all the checkboxes probably avoid it I guess?

Moartoast
Jan 16, 2011

Another unfunny, threadshitting knob-end.

AlmightyPants posted:

I see Battlefront up for sale for $45 right now, debating getting it. I liked the demo a lot, but if it doesn't have much more than a handful of maps I'm not sure I want to pay that much. Thoughts?

Get it off Origin with a Mexican VPN, it bumps the base price down to $40 without any key fuckery or whatever. Origin sales might bump that Mexican price down too, but i dunno how those sales typically work across regions.

Enjoying BF long-term really depends on how much you're bothered by the repetition. I'm a perpetual babyman so I can repeat something I enjoy a whole bunch over and over and over with only the slightest variations and not get bored, hence my constant playing of the flying-centric mode which is basically just samey dogfights in slightly different skyboxes. Even for me, though, it is a little jarring how there's only 4 maps per mode rotating on a loop forever, so you might want to wait for some of the DLC and a deeper discount before you throw down on it.

Apparently Jakku isn't the only free DLC they'll be releasing, either, though if I were to guess, the other free stuff will probably be tweaked night versions of day maps and whatnot.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Whats the deal with fighting rebs as imps in space? They pop shields and I have my missile on recharge so I dunno wtf to do.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AlmightyPants posted:

It entirely depends on how much $45 means to you

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Vildiil posted:

I had a moment https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oag5dtJni2g :getin:

I killed even more after but it only saves 30 second clips lol

How did you get this recording? I have had some amazing moments I wish I was recording for.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
PSA

Forward shields are stronger than rear shields. If someone locks you with an ion torpedo, turn on your shields and FLY DIRECTLY AT IT. You'll come out unscathed.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Attention Horse posted:

I think I enjoy this game more than Fallout 4. Am I a bad person?

No I dont enjoy fallout 4 that much either.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

Um, Ion torpedoes actually go through shields so I'm not sure what you're on about.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

ZypherIM posted:

Um, Ion torpedoes actually go through shields so I'm not sure what you're on about.

They don't. They pierce rear shields, they do not pierce forward shields.

I literally just got hit by five ion torpedos last game and took no damage because I flew at them.

Edit: I'm very drunk and could be wrong. But I don't think I am.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 28, 2015

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Just unlocked the DL-44, this gun is a joke. 2 shot kills are ridiculous.

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
It's really bad past super short range though.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

ShineDog posted:

It's really bad past super short range though.

Cannot stress this enough.

I basically only use it on Cargo, Drop, and Droid Hunt.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
That's what I mean, in any small map game type it destroys.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
At short range I'd still rather have the Sec-14 or whatever, the 5 shot pistol. I like that much better than the Dl 44. You still get two shot kills with that too if you hit with both 5 shot bursts and it's got better cooling power.

Vildiil
Dec 16, 2003
Stuff

Microwaves Mom posted:

How did you get this recording? I have had some amazing moments I wish I was recording for.

I yelled at my Kinect and said "Xbox Record That"

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

At short range I'd still rather have the Sec-14 or whatever, the 5 shot pistol. I like that much better than the Dl 44. You still get two shot kills with that too if you hit with both 5 shot bursts and it's got better cooling power.

It can actually 1-shot people too. If you're using the explosive shot it is also the best for clearing a bunch of people fast too. I've been settling on it for my favorite gun. Not using a long range rifle also helps encourge you to ignore sniping battles and play objectives.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ZypherIM posted:

It can actually 1-shot people too. If you're using the explosive shot it is also the best for clearing a bunch of people fast too. I've been settling on it for my favorite gun. Not using a long range rifle also helps encourge you to ignore sniping battles and play objectives.

I haven't tried explosive shot yet. I'm just so damned attached to my personal shield. It's so nice for capping/decapping points on Walker Assault.

Sometimes I love it just for tarding towards hero/vehicle tokens and then popping it so I can use those powerups without worrying about getting sniped.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

AlmightyPants posted:

Nobody here can really tell you for sure whether or not it'll be worth it to you, but I can give an example of why I don't think the repetition bothers me. Here's a quick breakdown of the three FPS games on which I think I've spent the most time:

In Goldeneye 007 (n64): Ran Control Room, Silo, and Depot about 90% of the time. Never got sick of it.
In Team Fortress Classic: played 2Fort, Well, and mulch_dm everyday for about 4 years. Never got sick of it.
In Halo CE: Ran 'Hang 'em High' in about 90% of the spit-screen matches I had with friends. Never got sick of it.

I'll stop the list there, but I think you get the point. I usually find 1 or 2 game modes and 3-4 maps I like in any FPS game and play them to death. I like mastering a small amount of content rather than being mediocre at larger amounts. Sure, it's entirely possible for some people out there to master large amounts of content, but that's something I just don't have the time and stamina to do anymore.

I guess there are a lot of people out there who need 15 different game modes and 20+ maps to feel like they're getting their money's worth, but to me it just never plays-out that way in any (FPS) game I've ever played. I don't care about gimmicky game modes or tons of maps, or even graphics really; I want solid mechanics and a polished experience. Not that Battlefront is perfect in either of those, but I'm having a lot of fun.

TLDR:
If you absolutely *need* to have access to tons of environments, weapon/skill unlocks, and game modes, then you might want to wait an expansion or two. However, if you objectively look at the history of how you've played these types of games and find that you've only ever played a few of the maps and game modes, then I'm sure you'll find something here to like.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

Regarding the SE-14C vs. DL-44 discussion: LevelCap put up a pretty good video about the SE-14C and compares it to some of the other options available. Pretty objective review for the most part.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Y2Soqn2pA

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Explosive shot is a flat 10 damage in a 1 meter radius per shot, so it's heavily weighted towards the faster firing guns.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5YZt-5EsAE

hhhat
Apr 29, 2008
Based on the first few minutes of the video I tried that gun, realized it was good on Endor, but sucky on Hoth and Tatooine, so I went with the heavy blaster rifle and just held back a bit and led in kills. Also found some good spots to shoot at guys from. Worked better than expected. I'm guessing there's an optimal loadout for each assault map.

edit

lol

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

Yea it isn't great on hoth, but it is actually really good on the tatooine map, because that map has tons of close engagements and way to force close engagements.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Starting to wish custom servers were a thing so I could ban DL-44s...

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Or so you could have Walker and Supremacy modes in the same rotation, also team balancing.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

drunkill posted:

Or so you could have Walker and Supremacy modes in the same rotation, also team balancing.

These are great reasons too.. But mainly to get rid of that loving gun. I seriously hope they do a balance pass on the weapons.

Agent Burt Macklin
Jul 3, 2003

Macklin, you son of a bitch
Team balancing is hilarious in this game. I just played a 6 v 3 of Heroes and Villains where the Villains just got creamed in all but one round.

They need to fix the spawn points too. Someone playing as Luke figured out where one of the Imperial spawn points were during Walker Assault and camped there for a bit killing us as we spawned. Then it started spawning us like 20 feet away...which is the length of one of Luke's jumps. :rolleye:

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
Where can I get this for $45? Or did I miss the boat now that it's technically no longer Black Friday on the east coast?

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Microwaves Mom posted:

Holy poo poo how are you still on vista? 7 makes vista look like 8
Yeah, this system is 6 1/2 years old now... running an i7 920 on whatever the gently caress MB this is... it's lasted longer than any other I've had. I've added a 140mm fan, upped the memory to the MB's max (a whole 12GB of DDR3) as well as the graphics card and PSU (only once each), but it's been drat solid. It really doesn't look like things have improved substantially, since. I should probably get an SSD, they're pretty cheap these days.

On the other hand, it's looking like getting this on the PC isn't the best idea. Last shooter I played on a console was PS2 era...

I've seen the recommendation is to play Battlefront on the PS4 if you're going to bother with it. Plus, the player numbers appear to be far higher on that platform.

Rob Haldorson
Aug 16, 2014

:roflolmao:

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah, this system is 6 1/2 years old now... running an i7 920 on whatever the gently caress MB this is... it's lasted longer than any other I've had. I've added a 140mm fan, upped the memory to the MB's max (a whole 12GB of DDR3) as well as the graphics card and PSU (only once each), but it's been drat solid. It really doesn't look like things have improved substantially, since. I should probably get an SSD, they're pretty cheap these days.

On the other hand, it's looking like getting this on the PC isn't the best idea. Last shooter I played on a console was PS2 era...

I've seen the recommendation is to play Battlefront on the PS4 if you're going to bother with it. Plus, the player numbers appear to be far higher on that platform.

I have a CPU older than yours and a good graphics card (970) and it runs really well. I have no idea why someone would say you should buy it on the PS4 instead unless maybe they really like playing games with baby console controllers and don't want to do so while playing against grownups using kb+m controls

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

This is more of a general Star Wars question but how did Boba Fett come to be seen as a badass when he got killed by Han as part of a comedy gag accident?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is more of a general Star Wars question but how did Boba Fett come to be seen as a badass when he got killed by Han as part of a comedy gag accident?

The costume.

• Locked thread