Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Found a footage of canceled game Emissary, which was going to use the Unreal engine to create vaguely Half-Life'sque world:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Okybesqpg8Q

On Beyond Unreal forums there is a discussion concerning this game, and also Unreal betas: https://forums.beyondunreal.com/threads/unreal-95-97-alpha-research.195417/page-7#post-2580834

I've mirrored the screenshots from Glide mode here: http://imgur.com/a/0viND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Those Zero-G and invisible mutants are still scary in the bowels of level 2 of System Shock :gonk:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Luigi Thirty posted:

Those Zero-G and invisible mutants are still scary in the bowels of level 2 of System Shock :gonk:
The inviso mutants are straight-up bastards. Creepiest part is AFAIK all the mutants used to be people (which would explain their death screams).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

david_a posted:

The inviso mutants are straight-up bastards. Creepiest part is AFAIK all the mutants used to be people (which would explain their death screams).

There's a log somewhere (Maintenance?) that's from someone turning into an invisible mutant.

newmans_owned
Nov 26, 2015

Home Of The Hottest WADs On The Net

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I've talked about those games in this thread before but, yeah, they really were cool FPS's (especially for their time). I remember the vehicle sections being pretty awkward to control but awesome in concept, and the ability to transition between interior and exterior environments on small sandbox-ish maps made the levels feel more "real". I spent a ton of time exploring the submarine map and the urban maps in particular.

there is a palpable sense of place in beth's XnGine terminator games since you're able to go into almost any building. i guess their gameplay design philosophies gotta start somewhere.

speaking of beth's terminator games, i decided to give "TERMINATOR: RAMPAGE" a whirl. it's a weird, weird early FPS since it feels closer to Wolf 3D instead of Doom; all of the maps are sprawling mazes, more or less

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

newmans_owned posted:

there is a palpable sense of place in beth's XnGine terminator games since you're able to go into almost any building. i guess their gameplay design philosophies gotta start somewhere.

speaking of beth's terminator games, i decided to give "TERMINATOR: RAMPAGE" a whirl. it's a weird, weird early FPS since it feels closer to Wolf 3D instead of Doom; all of the maps are sprawling mazes, more or less

Absolutely. Between it and Duke 3D, my weird thirst for "realistic" maps was temporarily quenched. And judging from the number of people who tried to put toilets in their Doom maps, the thirst was widespread and insatiable.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Absolutely. Between it and Duke 3D, my weird thirst for "realistic" maps was temporarily quenched. And judging from the number of people who tried to put toilets in their Doom maps, the thirst was widespread and insatiable.

"The thirst for toilets".

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

"The thirst for toilets".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNjBBcXUZ9Q

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
The Steam version of the 3D Realms Anthology will vanish from the Steam Store on January 1. They haven't said why, but it's more than likely due to Gearbox completely taking over the Duke Nukem IP.

Speaking of! Apparently TerminX (eDuke32 source port, planned Duke3D mobile version, official Bombshell demake) has been contacted by Gearbox after the acquisition, and from the sounds of things they aren't looking to devour his spine, crush the modding community and ruin everybody's childhood retroactively. Which, all things considered, has been surprising to many.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

The Steam version of the 3D Realms Anthology will vanish from the Steam Store on January 1. They haven't said why, but it's more than likely due to Gearbox completely taking over the Duke Nukem IP.

Speaking of! Apparently TerminX (eDuke32 source port, planned Duke3D mobile version, official Bombshell demake) has been contacted by Gearbox after the acquisition, and from the sounds of things they aren't looking to devour his spine, crush the modding community and ruin everybody's childhood retroactively. Which, all things considered, has been surprising to many.

I'm not really familiar with stuff being removed from Steam, so is it like XBL, where if you buy it and own it, you can always redownload it?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

I'm not really familiar with stuff being removed from Steam, so is it like XBL, where if you buy it and own it, you can always redownload it?
Yep. It'll just stay in your library.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Once you buy a game, it's yours. I don't think they remove anything at all once it's in your library.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

The Kins posted:

Do you have the source for that handy? Did it say anything about what happens if you purchased through 3D Realms website? Should I download everything?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Mogomra posted:

Do you have the source for that handy? Did it say anything about what happens if you purchased through 3D Realms website? Should I download everything?
Source: This trailer's description text

As for the website version... it's DRM-free, so it can't hurt to download the installer and back it up somewhere, now can it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

It says 'partial controller support' for the 3D Realms anthology. Anyone know the extent of that?

Stuff like Monster Bash (edit: holy poo poo, and Wacky Wheels!) would be great with a controller. Does WW have local multiplayer?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Partial controller support on Steam means that you have to configure the controller yourself generally.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

It says 'partial controller support' for the 3D Realms anthology. Anyone know the extent of that?

Stuff like Monster Bash would be great with a controller.
Each game uses the DOSbox Keyboard Mapper to map the buttons on Xbox 360 controllers to mimic appropriate keyboard keys. This means that while menus etc. may not be controller-friendly, actual gameplay should be workable. It's usually better than the one-button joysticks that were common on PCs at the time, at any rate...

I don't know how that's handled on OSX, sorry.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of the one-button joysticks of the time, you can also configure DOSBox to use controllers or modern joysticks as old-style joysticks if you want.

I was definitely briefly playing Terminal Velocity with a Logitech Wingman Extreme 3D Pro that way, anyway. (Although, I used one of the joysticks that had more than one button, because, well, only one button? Ew.)

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

The Kins posted:

Each game uses the DOSbox Keyboard Mapper to map the buttons on Xbox 360 controllers to mimic appropriate keyboard keys. This means that while menus etc. may not be controller-friendly, actual gameplay should be workable. It's usually better than the one-button joysticks that were common on PCs at the time, at any rate...

I don't know how that's handled on OSX, sorry.

No prob, thanks for the info!

Someday I'll get a Steam controller... someday.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wamdoodle posted:

Once you buy a game, it's yours. I don't think they remove anything at all once it's in your library.

Yeah I have a few delisted games, and games that were delisted and then brought back

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
On the other hand, there's nothing to stop companies randomly patching your game with terrible new updates that you can't stop (see GTA San Andreas replaced with a mobile port and getting a lad of cool music tracks patched out)

Steam's a real mixed bag, to be honest.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Convex posted:

On the other hand, there's nothing to stop companies randomly patching your game with terrible new updates that you can't stop (see GTA San Andreas replaced with a mobile port and getting a lad of cool music tracks patched out)

Steam's a real mixed bag, to be honest.

Welcome to the digital future!

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Wamdoodle posted:

Welcome to the digital future!

Someone must've copied that floppy, and then we just narrowly avoided the end of the computer age.

Now we have DRM.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Strictly speaking, we've had DRM for forever, it's just the older DRM was frequently just "here, read this code sheet".

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
That was analog rights management :chord:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

After a year there is still no upgrade for those of us who forked the money as soon as the thing went live, so I'm denied the pleasure of playing Balls of Steel, Xenophage and Dark Ages. I think they will just remove the Duke games, and the rest of the games will just stay on Steam because who cares, really.
I wonder what will happen to the Kill-A-Ton Collection, or the Android port that TerminX is developing?

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

haveblue posted:

Well-played. :golfclap:

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

haveblue posted:

Analog rights management is warmer.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

laserghost posted:

After a year there is still no upgrade for those of us who forked the money as soon as the thing went live, so I'm denied the pleasure of playing Balls of Steel, Xenophage and Dark Ages. I think they will just remove the Duke games, and the rest of the games will just stay on Steam because who cares, really.
I wonder what will happen to the Kill-A-Ton Collection, or the Android port that TerminX is developing?

I emailed 3DR support with my proof of purchase and they sent me a Steam key within a week.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Oh, didn't knew that is an option, thanks.

Got my copy of CyClones on friday, drat this game is weird. I wonder of anyone completed the first level. Now I'm waiting for postman with my copy of Gunman Chronicles :allears:

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
:frogsiren: Project Brutality has updated! :frogsiren:

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Any idea what changed? I didn't see an obvious changelog.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

SavageMessiah posted:

Any idea what changed? I didn't see an obvious changelog.

Seems like a quality of mod update.

Imps got a new minigunned animation. Lots of other animations got updated. Chainsaw has a new primary attack. And the Revs now show a targeting laser before they fire (thank chirst).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Klaus88 posted:

Seems like a quality of mod update.

Imps got a new minigunned animation. Lots of other animations got updated. Chainsaw has a new primary attack. And the Revs now show a targeting laser before they fire (thank chirst).

Yeah, I think this is mostly a polish and tuning update, to bring it up to par with the current BD test builds.

I gather the shield-using enemies got nerfed, because they effectively had two states; squishy and indestructible.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
skillsaw apparently decided he wanted to play through Valiant with a gameplay modifier, so he made a version without any of the weapon and enemy changes for compatibility. It's here for all the people who wanted to Demonsteele it (or just hated the weapon and enemy changes).

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

catlord posted:

skillsaw apparently decided he wanted to play through Valiant with a gameplay modifier, so he made a version without any of the weapon and enemy changes for compatibility. It's here for all the people who wanted to Demonsteele it (or just hated the weapon and enemy changes).

Skillsaw is a cool dude and Valiant is a great campaign.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

catlord posted:

What a cool dude! Valiant was definitely cool as-is but this doesn't hurt it in any way. Plus some of the added enemies were kind of annoyingly used.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

In some Duke news, a custom episode was just released today - I haven't checked it out but the screenshots look really good:
http://www.tamduke.kk4.fi/info

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Speaking of Duke, I actually decided to try Nuclear Winter out, even knowing it's basically the flat-out worst of the Duke 3D expansions, but, uh, several of the graphics were straight from Minecraft. I know that's not right, because Minecraft didn't exist for a good decade after Duke 3D came out - and besides, they were showing up in the wrong places (I'm pretty sure some morphing Minecraft textures were shooting diamonds at me).

Now, I'm pretty sure the Minecraft textures are from a custom map I DL'd through the Steam Workshop - but since I'm not playing the Minecraft level, why the heck are they showing up in Nuclear Winter...? I'm also a little surprised verifying the game cache didn't fix this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Oh cool, today I learned American Mcgee is a gamergae dork and thinks SJWs kidnapped his sister. Carmack's white supremacist leanings are one thing but this is just unseemly.