Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Unmarked 34 MB update and a post about a CRIME.NET BREACH. It's happening.

quote:

How did that get through the firewalls...? I'm sure it'll be nothing of consequence.
This could be a problematic situation...

What do you think is going on!?

Everything is fine, I'm sure! There is nothing to w͎̪͖̗̥̖͇o̱̱͖̠͚̤͖̱r͏̷̠̠͔̥̭̠͖́ŕ͎͍y͠҉̰̠̝͟ ̲͍̦̬a̗̥b̵̮͍̩̩͙̠̻̀͡ò̪͍̩̦͢u̴̫̪̮͓̲̗̗͘t̷̺͈̼͖̪̳̹͖͍̀̕ o͞҉͔̞̻͉͓̰̟͉ẖ̸̶̥͕̗ ̤̯͘g̝͈͜o҉͎͙̻d̴̸̘͇̹̩̳̗͉̦ ͓̪͠s̜̪̻̻̫͈͡o͏͖͓̺̘̬m͓̱͕e̴̝͔̝̳̼͇͎o̦̝͔̻̘̹͡͞͠ͅṉ̡̣̖̺e̴̛̱̜͚̜̻̙̗ ̨̥͉̳͈͉͎̤̩h̷͓͖̬̳̯̱e̸̘͇̖̞ļ̸͎͚͓̳̪͉p͓̗͜

edit: it's a message from an Armadillocorp hacker hired by Murkywater to take down crimenet. He says he can do it with the push of a button, but is offering to instead have the gang work for him and he will give them "imformation and material" related to Murkywater.

So loving called it. Time for maximum :smugbert:.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Nov 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

Unmarked 34 MB update and a post about a CRIME.NET BREACH. It's happening.

edit: it's a message from an Armadillocorp hacker hired by Murkywater to take down crimenet. He says he can do it with the push of a button, but is offering to instead have the gang work for him and he will give them "imformation and material" related to Murkywater.

So loving called it. Time for maximum :smugbert:.

Goddammit overkill. You know, I was totally okay with micro transactions, lovely safes, low effort skins, and the like.

But now you're indulging a clearly crazy man with his clearly crazy difficulty tweaks?! I'm done.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I'm not certain what you're talking about, would you care to enlighten me?

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

The excuse for Vox's own bullshit difficulty tweak - Death Vox - was that someone who may or may not have been the taxman broke into Crime.net and was actively setting extra things up to counter the Payday gang.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Is it Deathvox becoming a reality? I just assumed that we're getting another contractor.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
:getin:
I don't care what it is, I just want the :salt: to flow.

EDIT: Did a missile chopper spawn on Day 1 of Hotline? I don't remember that from before.

Nine of Eight fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Nov 27, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Nine of Eight posted:

EDIT: Did a missile chopper spawn on Day 1 of Hotline? I don't remember that from before.

It's always been around, it's just fairly rare and quite buggy. It can fire twice (with the effect of grenades going off in the two vertexes of the [ shape of the hotel's lower level) , but most of the time it just does a brief pass. Bain didn't consistently even comment on it until recently. Odds are good it passed by and you never noticed before.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
What did Deathvox do for example? I've been away from the game for months so I have no idea what we've done.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What did Deathvox do for example? I've been away from the game for months so I have no idea what we've done.

nothing because it doesnt exist

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
It seems like every new contact is just someone highlighting how incompetent Bain is. Why do we keep him around at this point?

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Deathvox is videogame mechanics fanfiction written by our very own Discendo Vox. The basic idea was to figure out ways to make heists more difficult in ways other than the cop number buff that deathwish does, generally by loving with player expectations of the heists or just dark-souls style gently caress you's.

At some point, a bunch of people got real mad that Vox posts his ideas in the thread and constantly rail against him, but it doesn't really bother Vox because he has megalomania.

A real good way too annoy some thread regulars is to set Vox off with ideas to feed into his brain disease like this: DeathVox should secretly track the (2-4) major permutations a player has seen in their first few completions of a deathvox heist and favor displaying lobbies with a host who has seen different permutations.

Fellis fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 27, 2015

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Vox..you were joking about mailing Overkill all your ideas, right?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Death Vox was borne of my frustration with Death Wish when it was first implemented, because poor balance on enemies and damage was almost the only change it made. The game severely limited what weapons were viable to actually survive heists on that difficulty, and there were a lot of cases where a random spawn of fbi agents, blue swat or dozers would completely screw a run in less than a second. This situation has improved significantly with the addition of sniper rifles, rocket launchers, and perk decks that allow players to regain lost health. Overkill 145, the top tier difficulty in payday 1, while still unfair and unfun in some ways, also included a number of surprise events to twist the knife in players and encourage playing the heists in a different way. For example, in payday 1, the four bulldozers in the vault of First World Bank were an overkill 145 exclusive in the first game, and due to how balance worked in that game, a single bulldozer was a significant challenge.

Death Vox used a narrative hook (a mysterious g-man working for the government hacks crimenet and starts sending black ops forces after the crew) to justify substantial tweaks to all of the heists- basically, Murphy's Law situations where everything goes wrong, the police often know you're coming, and unexpected twists are thrown at the players as they work through a heist that's very different from what they're used to. The tradeoff is that the heists would have a lot more loot, worth a lot more, and would just plain be fun and nontrivial or luck-based to play through.

The changes proposed for Death Vox are extensive and run across almost all heist mechanics, generally with the goals of 1. shaking up the conventional "safe" tactic for a heist, 2. throwing curveballs that will produce an "oh shiiit" response the first time they occur, and inventive planning if they cause a failed run, and 3. the general sense that the police aren't as hopelessly incompetent as they currently seem ingame.

My favorite example of a proposed DV mechanic is the Demo Team, which is a special spawn that can occur on maps with thermal drills (and a couple others). When you have the drill up and running, Bain may announce that a "demolitions officer is going for the drill" or something similar. At this point, a special spawn consisting of a) a brightly-colored dozer with a lot of health and b) support units such as shields and tasers will spawn in. Instead of seeking out the players, this team makes a beeline straight for the thermal drill, with the goal of letting the Demo Dozer place C4 on it. If the C4 isn't deactivated (there's almost no time to do this), the drill is destroyed, and the players have to wait for Bile to drop off a new one.

Afraid is correct that DV still doesn't exist, because most of the changes it would call for still aren't possible with currently available modding tools. It's more intended as a thought exercise about how to make a fun, challenging high-end difficulty. Even now, Death Wish runs vary tremendously in difficulty based on the uneven damage profile of some enemies and some of the dumber changes (I'm looking at you, watchdogs day 1). It lets us think about how heists that suck (like car shop) could be made fun.

In the case of Car Store Death Vox:

1.There are no civilians around, and from the front, the store seems deserted. In reality, Black ops enemies are waiting out of sight for the payday gang, using a combination of limited and random patrol routes.
2. The manager's keycard is in one of the random locations they would normally spawn at. The hack does not attract guards, but instead of one, you will need to run two shorter hacks to unlock the car key-one on each floor.
3. Bain tells you the initials of the second person you need to hack after the first hack is finished.
4. Yes, the car key. The staff were able to hustle out most of the inventory when the police had the building cleared out, but they didn't have time to move their latest product- a new prototype with cold fusion clean coal technology. The car seats two and cannot be damaged, but it offers fairly limited protection to driver and passenger.
5. If things go loud, normal police (no specials) will spawn in the shop. Snipers will also spawn with coverage of the front of the store. Bain may comment on how odd this is.
6. The escape timer is increased to about 15 minutes. This means that stealth, though helpful, isn't remotely necessary.
7. The reason for the lack of police is that they're all down in the tunnels! Instead of a sprint with floaty controls, the escape route is now littered with police and obstacles- it's basically Hoxton Breakout day 1, but you can actually drive it. You will need to do things like move a SWAT van and contend with turrets along the way. The climax will involve ramping over an active SWAT turret onto a cargo ship at the docks to make your escape. The car is mandatory, and worth about 8 million.

This is much more heavily modified than most heists, but that's because it's freaking car store. Individual special units and other general mechanical elements are also changed.

isndl posted:

It seems like every new contact is just someone highlighting how incompetent Bain is. Why do we keep him around at this point?

I don't know why they're leaning on Bain's incompetence quite as hard as they are in this game compared with the first, but one factor is just that Bain being competent would translate into less challenge for us. I just realized that Bain never figured out an escape plan during the whole time we were opening vans and moving safes on Aftershock. C'mon, Bain!

Fellis posted:

DeathVox should secretly track the (2-4) major permutations a player has seen in their first few completions of a deathvox heist and favor displaying lobbies with a host who has seen different permutations.

Ooh! *scribbles furiously* (few of my designs actually have significant permutations, actually- they're too hard to design around while avoiding "gently caress you difficulty" along the lines of the watchdogs bridge. My goal is to never make a player see something happen, then restart the heist to try to get an easier outcome.)

BillmasterCozb posted:

Vox..you were joking about mailing Overkill all your ideas, right?

Mail's too slow. They have a phone line, but after the first couple meetings, they just told me to read my designs into their voicemail so they have a record to study.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 27, 2015

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

You know since Crimefest 2 happened and all the shitposting around that, we haven't had one of those in a while.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I still think my idea for death wish was better: overkill with no outlines, higher cop damage, and a .65x multiplier on ammo pickups.

Also the skulldozer would be the pd1 dozer with a skeleton mask

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

:words:Death Vox:words:

Ooh! *scribbles furiously* (few of my designs actually have significant permutations, actually- they're too hard to design around while avoiding "gently caress you difficulty" along the lines of the watchdogs bridge. My goal is to never make a player see something happen, then restart the heist to try to get an easier outcome.)

The watchdogs bridge is loving brilliant, and I want to say that even people in an ICTV with no additional movement skills can make the jump (I know it's possible in an ICTV with sprinter ace and basic shinobi). It's bad for people who are bad at platforming (who are bads). It's not even gently caress you difficult, it's precisely the sort of thing your nerd boner, aka Death Vox, advocates for. Watchdogs is actually a good DW map (aside from the general fuckery of increases cop spawns/health/damage, because it forces you to come up with a different strategy to complete the map, as both the bridge is out on Day 1, and the building is closed on day 2.

:colbert:

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bzW0Wq2V4Y0

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Drewjitsu posted:

The watchdogs bridge is loving brilliant, and I want to say that even people in an ICTV with no additional movement skills can make the jump (I know it's possible in an ICTV with sprinter ace and basic shinobi). It's bad for people who are bad at platforming (who are bads). It's not even gently caress you difficult, it's precisely the sort of thing your nerd boner, aka Death Vox, advocates for. Watchdogs is actually a good DW map (aside from the general fuckery of increases cop spawns/health/damage, because it forces you to come up with a different strategy to complete the map, as both the bridge is out on Day 1, and the building is closed on day 2.

General consensus during the period after the DW update was that the bridge can't be jumped with anything heavier than HBV. Bear in mind that multiple skill changes, such as the perk deck changes, have made adjustments to movement speed in the interval since then. Even if possible, the bridge jump represents an RNG-based unevenness of difficulty that encourages players to restart to get a more favorable outcome, and that's Goldfarb-twisted-darksouls bad.

I think closing the warehouse on day 2 was good, but they really shoulda blocked off that side platform as well. Iirc my revisions included more bags and made it so the boat would arrive at all three locations.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Nov 28, 2015

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

YES THIS IS EXACTLY WHAT I NEEDED TO START PLAYING AGAIN

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Am I crazy or did they update the Combat Sight to have a rail on top with some backup irons mounted?

Basticle fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Nov 28, 2015

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Basticle posted:

Am I crazy or did they update the Combat Sight to have a rail on top with some backup irons mounted?

[timg[http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/576821368995727136/CF3D233EDF224D506B9B4B5D9EC43CBACB207D00/[/timg]

Nah, it's been there for a while.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I wonder if larger-scale jobs against PMCs will align us back to being Robin Hoods or if we're still Ultra-Hitlers.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Basticle posted:

Now I want to mount a sight on top of the sight.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

http://i.imgur.com/Lqr0UhF.gifv

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

It's like you got your own private halfpipe!

quote:

Great update : Some hacking visual effect on screen along a voice I couldn't hear over the music since OverCa$h is too stupid to understand that when players activates "Subtitle" , there should be subtitle on the screen when something's said.

quote:

What a surprise, overkill just pretends like there's no controversey and continues with business as usual.

quote:

All aboard the hypetrain. Forget how we lie to you repeatedly and GET THOSE WALLETS READY GENTLEMEN!

quote:

Viral marketing: the last go-to of the uninspired company with a mediocre product and a dying fanbase.
Want to attract dumbasses who will never be smart enough to see how you're manipulating them? ♥♥♥♥ like this is how you do it. Hype hype hype hype you get the picture.
Enjoy paying for incoming shovelware.

quote:

Or, it is simply an expansion of their microtransaction system?
Pay to reduce police heat?
Pay to decrease local guard presence?
Pay to increase cop's ammo drops?
so on and so forth
those "resources" sure sound nice

quote:

While this is cool and all, are we going to remember the constant lies OVERKILL made?

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 28, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Discendo Vox posted:

General consensus during the period after the DW update was that the bridge can't be jumped with anything heavier than HBV. Bear in mind that multiple skill changes, such as the perk deck changes, have made adjustments to movement speed in the interval since then. Even if possible, the bridge jump represents an RNG-based unevenness of difficulty that encourages players to restart to get a more favorable outcome, and that's Goldfarb-twisted-darksouls bad.

I think closing the warehouse on day 2 was good, but they really shoulda blocked off that side platform as well. Iirc my revisions included more bags and made it so the boat would arrive at all three locations.

I want to say that I beat it when it came out, and I sure as poo poo made that jump in an ICTV, with movement skills.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
In the year 2020, when payday 3 finally arrives

"Oh man this is the best game ever but remember when ALMIR LIED TO US :reddit: DONT BUY THIS GAME BECAUSE YOU'LL BE SUPPORTING MICROTRANSACTIONS"

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I'm not the only person who finds it completely bizarre that pubs try to play Slaughterhouse Deathwish PD1 style, right? By that I mean they try to all camp behind the conveyor belt closest to the safe with their backs to the wall only to get bum-rushed to death because it takes a crazy amount of damage output to hold off 3 cop spawns all shooting at you from different angles.

Where Bonnie is in this picture, for anyone who doesn't know what I'm talking about.

UnknownMercenary fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 28, 2015

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Uhh....that's totally the spot you camp out and crush the first half of that map. I would recommend that spot as it is close to the drill and the next objective to boot.

Git gud. :colbert:

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Run around blowing cops away in the middle of the plant like you're living out Gary Busey's scene from Predator 2.

Also lol at babbies crying, thank you Vox for fat piping this to my eyes and making me laugh.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

I can't tell if you're being serious. Like if you're going to cover someone fixing the drill or something I guess that's a spot you can use but I can't see anyone sitting there the whole time, let alone the whole team. I've joined like 4 different DW lobbies today trying to do it and they all fail miserably holding that spot, and meanwhile I'm not there and also not dying horribly.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

UnknownMercenary posted:

I can't tell if you're being serious. Like if you're going to cover someone fixing the drill or something I guess that's a spot you can use but I can't see anyone sitting there the whole time, let alone the whole team. I've joined like 4 different DW lobbies today trying to do it and they all fail miserably holding that spot, and meanwhile I'm not there and also not dying horribly.

That's most likely down to two factors:

1. You're better at base gunplay than the pubbies

2. They didn't shoot out the truck windshield.

That location is nothing short of fantastic for the first half of the map on DW. There's a similarly excellent holdout in the yard, but it moves.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Holding out is for bads. Run around and shoot the mans.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Discendo Vox posted:

That's most likely down to two factors:

1. You're better at base gunplay than the pubbies

This is probably the case. If you want a hold-out spot it's probably the best one, though yes. Run around and shoot cops is better funner.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

That's a pretty unabashed rip off of the Kojima Productions logo.

Concordat fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Nov 28, 2015

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Concordat posted:

That's a pretty unabashed rip off of the Kojima Productions logo.

It is, I assume, a modified version of the logo of Armadillo Corp, which was the contractor that developed and/or shipped the turret we stole on Train Heist (in the updated version of the heist, Bain spends a fair amount of time saying the computerized security on the vaults is unusually good). This might mean that Armadillo Corp is a subsidiary of Murkywater, or that Locke's company are contractors to Murkywater. Based on Locke's line, I think it's the former, but I can't really tell.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

swims posted:

Just cause its first page- console version has been updated.

Bard Maddox posted:

as a trashdicked console playing moron this makes me happy
only on the xbone version to fix matchmaking, no additional content

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
As we're drawing fresh blood for the new thread, I re-submit my loose argument for a Campaign-style playthrough of the entire backlog of heists. I'm gonna try to keep on this as more jobs & heistdads/moms are added.
Check it here, pals.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

HebrewMagic posted:

As we're drawing fresh blood for the new thread, I re-submit my loose argument for a Campaign-style playthrough of the entire backlog of heists. I'm gonna try to keep on this as more jobs & heistdads/moms are added.
Check it here, pals.

Excellent list! One modification I'd make is that Panic Room probably comes after Heat Street- two reasons.

1. In heat street, Matt is referred to as a reliable driver you're used to working with, not a last minute replacement.
2. The thing you're actually stealing on Heat Street is printing plates for money (from an embassy, if memory serves, but it's been awhile). This ties in with the fake money you use in the drug trade on Panic Room.

Canonically, the heist remakes in payday 2 are being treated like entirely new, distinct events.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

Discendo Vox posted:

Excellent list! One modification I'd make is that Panic Room probably comes after Heat Street- two reasons.

1. In heat street, Matt is referred to as a reliable driver you're used to working with, not a last minute replacement.
2. The thing you're actually stealing on Heat Street is printing plates for money (from an embassy, if memory serves, but it's been awhile). This ties in with the fake money you use in the drug trade on Panic Room.

That seems close enough for me, I'll add it in the morning. Thanks, dude.