Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I have been asked to think of an explaination.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

even death thinks twice about getting close to gaston.

painted bird
Oct 18, 2013

by Lowtax
Only Gnosis preens Eris; Hubris hangs out with her, but he likes her less.

Also: Eris is a bit of a shrimp and both budgies are English, we think.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DarkHorse posted:

Are Dyson vacuums really worth it? They've always struck me as overpriced and unnecessarily complicated vacuums. My wife picked out a Shark vacuum and it has been fantastic, and as an engineer I can really appreciate how well it's designed. It has all that same stuff: canister to empty dust, attachments that ride with the vacuum, detachable as a hand unit, and it's light but powerful. The only maintenance I've had to do is occasionally clean out the filter/sponge for the fine particulates.

SaNChEzZ posted:

We've got the dc41 animal as well as the little hand cannon cordless thing, I'll never buy another vacuum ever.

I can only speak for my personal experience, I intend to replace my Dyson with a Dyson if it ever gives up. I may be swayed, a lot of improvements have been made to vacuums in the past 8 years, but as of today they have a repeat customer should it come up.

It's long and boring, I can't find the video editor in youtube anymore. Very repetitive after the first 30 seconds or so.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtnFlfinF-8

H110Hawk fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Nov 28, 2015

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I built Bobby a hut out of seagrass that kinda mimics the hives wild Quakers live in and all he's done for the last few hours is sit in it and scream

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

I was mid-scritch session with Kiwi when I noticed her eyelids had turned pink. Nandays do blush! For some reason it was very gratifying to know that I was satisfactorily scritching.
Now to see if I can get my GCC to blush.

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

Potato Salad posted:

Okay. That poo poo's awesome and it's setting off the part of my brain that makes me want to write things. :3:

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Potato Salad posted:

"How am I going to get past this bird?"

Great picture by the way. Very strange. Very awesome. :3:

Thyrork fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Nov 28, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(mind fried by cuteness)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

aaaaaa he's on your finger

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde
So I'm writing a fantasy story which birds will play a role. I'd appreciate any antidotes about "smart bird, best bird!", or... well, anything really! Plan to have them be one of my key fantastic creatures and they are based upon Magpies as a starting point.

So hit me goons with your cutesy, smarty bird tales so I may draw upon your experiences. :3:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Thyrork posted:

So I'm writing a fantasy story which birds will play a role. I'd appreciate any antidotes about "smart bird, best bird!", or... well, anything really! Plan to have them be one of my key fantastic creatures and they are based upon Magpies as a starting point.

So hit me goons with your cutesy, smarty bird tales so I may draw upon your experiences. :3:

Depending on how smart they are, as someone generally interested in non-pet birds I'd recommend looking into real-world examples of crows and ravens being intelligent, because they're smarter than the average player in World of Warcraft: crows and ravens have been observed not simply talking to each other and using tools, but outright teaching each other how to make and use tools, avoid poison and traps, and which people will feed them versus which are mean to them, and this has been observed to spread across entire national populations of the birds.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Cythereal posted:

Depending on how smart they are, as someone generally interested in non-pet birds I'd recommend looking into real-world examples of crows and ravens being intelligent, because they're smarter than the average player in World of Warcraft: crows and ravens have been observed not simply talking to each other and using tools, but outright teaching each other how to make and use tools, avoid poison and traps, and which people will feed them versus which are mean to them, and this has been observed to spread across entire national populations of the birds.

Yup! This is why I'm basing them on Corvids as a base! :3:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

What a wet floofy birb :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Just want people to go back and check which bird is featured in my photos above, then realise the significance of this:

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

aaaaaa he's on your finger

:kimchi:

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Turns out you need to douse the fires of righteous fury in order to finally handle Inko :black101:

Congrats Battle Pigeon!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Story should be "the adventures of Gaston" tbh.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

learnincurve posted:

Story should be "the adventures of Gaston" tbh.

Like Martin the Warrior but with cockatoos instead of rodents

edit: and this could be the book cover

i poop fire fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Nov 28, 2015

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

DarkHorse posted:

Turns out you need to douse the fires of righteous fury in order to finally handle Inko :black101:

Congrats Battle Pigeon!

You understand

Yeah, wouldn't have dared if he hadn't just had a relaxing spa bath, but he was so chill about being shuffled down on to my hand I just thought "gently caress it", picked him up and put him on my finger-and as you can see everything is still attached and intact :3:

SUPER BLURRY IN ACTION SHOT

He has a crazy strong death grip with the toes he can use!

(Doesn't count as him finally being tame and a successful project until he does it when the conure fire is burning/when dry)

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

a mission success

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Dreggon posted:

a mission success

you should douse gaston in water and try this trick

Patrovsky
May 8, 2007
whatever is fine

Thyrork posted:

Obviously there should be something about the horror that is magpies in swooping season.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Last time a magpie tried to swoop me because I was saying hello to one of its little fledglings, I didn't react and it bounced off my head. I guess it was expecting me to cower in fear and run away. Magpies aren't scary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrovsky posted:

Obviously there should be something about the horror that is magpies in swooping season.

They don't swoop at you if you feed them every now and then. Just pay your protection crackers and you'll be fine.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

You feed them every now and then and they not only not swoop you to protect their babies, they bring their babies down to show them off to you as proud parents.

Aug 24, 2011

Sekkira posted:

You feed them every now and then and they not only not swoop you to protect their babies, they bring their babies down to show them off to you as proud parents.

yep

they do the ehhhh ehhhh eeeeehhhhhhhh noise too when they want to be fed

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sekkira posted:

My aunt gave the local maggies some food and now every morning they drop their babbies off at her door and go enjoy themselves while she is forced to babysit. Fucken freeloader birds :argh:

schnickety scribe
Jul 5, 2015

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

My aunt gave the local maggies some food and now every morning they drop their babbies off at her door and go enjoy themselves while she is forced to babysit. Fucken freeloader birds :argh:
Oh my God. Oh my God! :kimchi:

Why can't there be magpies where I live? I want that. I want freeloader birds dropping off their babies for me to babysit. I will babysit all the baby birds. Oh my GAWD! :allears:

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Dreggon posted:

they do the ehhhh ehhhh eeeeehhhhhhhh noise too when they want to be fed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh4KRukkM3o&t=6s

Australian magpies aren't corvids, but they seem so superficially similar in many ways.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
Australian magpies are fuckin' cute :3: Just like Australian possums, which are not the plastic-eared horror monsters that they are in the US.

Judah is mad that I left town for a few days.

Sorry Judah.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Australian magpies will sit on your knee and wait for you to hand shell them a sunflower seed, then take it from your hand and patiently wait for you to shell the next one for them.

Aug 24, 2011

Mizuti posted:

Australian magpies aren't corvids

eh? thought they were

GoldStandardConure posted:

Australian magpies will sit on your knee and wait for you to hand shell them a sunflower seed, then take it from your hand and patiently wait for you to shell the next one for them.

mine didnt

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Pion had a shower today, and I think he actually enjoyed it!

He jumped onto my head after I was done shampooing and rinsing, didn't fly away when I squatted down, and didn't try to avoid the water when I slowly nudged myself under the shower. He sat there for a while and shuffled around a bit, not that I could see what he was doing.

Little birb is growing up :3:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Australian magpies sound cool

nielsm posted:

Pion had a shower today, and I think he actually enjoyed it!

He jumped onto my head after I was done shampooing and rinsing, didn't fly away when I squatted down, and didn't try to avoid the water when I slowly nudged myself under the shower. He sat there for a while and shuffled around a bit, not that I could see what he was doing.

Brave bird! Get a shower perch for the future.

Dreggon posted:

a mission success

Not until I can do it when he's dry

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I have cranky birds, potatoes want the light out as soon as it starts to get dark which is about 3:30pm at the moment and it's messing with thier heads.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

There is the cutest Crimson-bellied Conure ever for sale in the local ads-it's totally tame too, the photos show it lying in hands and being hugged and everything. It's name is something like "Poppy", but I'm not certain since it's like a nickname variation of the word (like bird could be birdie) or something. £107/$161 including cage and all it has in the world. If only :(

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

So, my Senegal just up chucked on my hand and from everything I've read it is regurgitation rather than vomiting (he bobbed his head a few times and spat up three sticky white barely digested seeds) but what confuses me a little is that I thought regurgitating was supposed to be a courtship behaviour, except my bird is only four months old. Is it a thing that they might sometimes do as a sign of affection outside of that too?

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

Yes. And there's a difference between regurgitation and vomiting afaik. Regurgitation is stuff that's chewed up and stored for later, vomiting is the stuff that's started to be actually digested just being forcefully ejected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer

GoldStandardConure posted:

What the hell, I need to move to Australia already. That's like goddamn Disney.

nielsm posted:

Oh jeez oh jeez oh jeez :3: LOOK AT THE WET POTATO BABY LOOK AT HIMMMMM