Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

No, it wasn't.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Weren't they trying to kickstart or raise a couple million with the expectation that (actual) private investors would fund the rest?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Dusty Lens posted:

Or you end up with a game like Prophecy. An underrated title led by Rob Irving, who didn't get to have his name plastered all over it, which had a neat behind enemy lines mechanic going on where damage to your mothership was cumulative and could result in losing the game. But even that mechanic was divorced from the overarching story aside from a few pre-made cutscenes where someone would chew you out for allowing the salad bar to get nuked.

The binary approach, action and cutscene, is outmoded. I don't think it deserves a callback.

I heard Prophecy was everything right and I should have played it back in the day, but unfortunately, lil Loi didn't have a good computer at the time, and was into FPS games that could be played in a postage-stamp sized window.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k

Loiosh posted:

Ships are locked to the owner and those in his or her party for 8 minutes after spawn. However, you can interact with the ramps even if you're not part of the owner's group. So, you can sneak onboard someone's Constellation, which is what just happened to me, and then once they fly far enough out of the 'safe' zone and can initiate combat, you run into their cabin and shoot them. Then it's your ship :)

I was having trouble with the interface, I couldn't figure out how to switch back to mouse-movement mode (since my roommate has my HOTAS Warthog), so the stow-away didn't get to kill me and steal my ship. :) But yes, you can do that once you leave the safe area and take their ship. The ship will stay with you until you disconnect/crash or it is destroyed. You see people running onto Constellations to try to steal them from the owners.

This madness sounds like it's right up my street thanks for the info.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:eyepop:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Othin posted:

Weren't they trying to kickstart or raise a couple million with the expectation that (actual) private investors would fund the rest?

Yes. It's right there in the original Kickstarter description, even:

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.
So they only needed 2 million from the kickstarter though

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Decrepus posted:

Do you think they could ever have made ANY game with 2 million?

E:D was funded on a litle less than that :

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1461411552/elite-dangerous

Talented individuals, even if they aspire to the best tools, learn to work with what they have. Look at the Matrix ; The first one was a 63M budget and was a very interesting, slightly deep and innovative noir movie. Matrix Reloaded had 150 million, Revolution another 150m and look at the bullshit neo-christian drivel we got. Jupiter ascending ? 183 million give you delicious eye candy CGI but unseasonned cold oatmeal storytelling.

I think SC is past the Money-Quality equilibrium point. Adding yet more cash to the equation will end up producing a worse game.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

The Meat Dimension posted:

This madness sounds like it's right up my street thanks for the info.

I need one of those classic keyboard overlays:

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Loiosh posted:

I heard Prophecy was everything right and I should have played it back in the day, but unfortunately, lil Loi didn't have a good computer at the time, and was into FPS games that could be played in a postage-stamp sized window.

I was into squinting at Ultima Online because who needs gamma correction. On Net Zero.

Maybe download some Rob Zombie songs on Napster while I'm at it.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

Recoome posted:

So they only needed 2 million from the kickstarter though

They needed 10% of the total budget raised through both Kickstarter and their website combined as front money to secure the rest of the original investor budget. The actual Kickstarter goal was only $500k, with the rest planned to come from the original funding campaign on their website.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Octopode posted:

front money

Money laundering operation confirmed

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore

Octopode posted:

No, it wasn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof

Octopode posted:

Well, they never planned to make a game for $2M. The initial budget was ~$20M.

[citation needed]

Edit: They did not ask for 20 million. Their originally quoted budget was 2 million. You are technically incorrect. As you know, this is the worst kind of incorrect. Your statements are factually disprovable. Intentions are ambiguous. The facts on public record show that they asked for 2M to fund their game. You said so yourself.

Octopode posted:

"We have investors that have agreed to contribute the balance we need to complete this game as long as we can validate that there is a demand for a high end PC space game. By meeting or surpassing our target on Kickstarter you tell the world that you want a PC based Space Sim and allow us to make this game."

The dollar value expected from their investors is not stated. Their request for Two Million Dollars is stated. In lieu of an other value demonstrably made visible to the public during the same time frame, two million is a valid estimate for their original budget.

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Nov 28, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/200998/chris_roberts_on_star_citizen_.php?print=1

quote:

His plans started before Double Fine's Broken Age -- then known as Double Fine Adventure -- set a record on Kickstarter. "I'd seen what Minecraft did, and I said, 'It'd be interesting. I could probably get something out for $10 million. It's not the full game I want. And then alpha, sell it at a discount, get people in, and then finish the game off,' which was the big, full $20 million thing I'm talking about."

It was to that end Roberts began to seek investors. But when Double Fine hit it big in 2012, he shifted gears. But his original goal with crowdfunding was not to make money; it was to prove to his investors that his game would appeal to a contemporary audience.

"I was never making a two or three or four million dollar game. I was always making $15 million game, minimum," Roberts says. "I'd lined up investors, and the crowdfunding was to validate that people still cared about space sims, or even about me, because I'd been gone for 10 years."

Now try not to post about things when you have literally no idea what you're talking about anymore.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/200998/chris_roberts_on_star_citizen_.php?print=1

Now try not to post about things when you have literally no idea what you're talking about anymore.

You first, contract lawyer superspy.

RescueFreak
Sep 8, 2013

Refund Update

CIG gave me a refund for the current value of my hangar minus the AMD promo ship, but nothing for the VD purchases or subscription time. Account is closed.

Wait a few days, nothing shows up in bank account. Contact Stripe support, they say the refund should have been instant.

Contact my bank, they don't show anything coming in. Chargeback proceeding.

gently caress you, Karl.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

DreadLlama posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legal_burden_of_proof
In lieu of an other value demonstrably made visible to the public during the same time frame, two million is a valid estimate for their original budget.

His statements made after the fact to justify his actions are not relevant.

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
Can I like buy a star citizen for two dollars to get in on the eventual class action lawsuit?

Ahh Yes
Nov 16, 2004
>_>
Maybe you made the wrong decision and they're just telling you that by not paying you any money because you totally want to be in the VERSE and not this reality.

And what do you need American dollars for in the Verse anyway? It's a favour man.

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Macaroni Surprise posted:

Can I like buy a star citizen for two dollars to get in on the eventual class action lawsuit?

Citizenship must be earned.

:gary: PAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARP!:yarg:

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

His statements made after the fact to justify his actions are not relevant.

You're trying really hard to justify being factually wrong about something.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Octopode posted:

You're trying really hard to justify being factually wrong about something.

shut up octopode

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Again, you are required to provide evidence in support of your claim in order to be correct.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.

Dusty Lens posted:

Maybe download some Rob Zombie songs on Napster while I'm at it.

Jesus did this just boot up a dusty sector of my mind.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode is right about the initial funding.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Again, you are required to provide evidence in support of your claim in order to be correct.

Which I have, from multiple places. How about the counter: provide evidence the original budget was $2M. Until you can provide evidence contrary to that I've provided, you're the one with the burden of proof here.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
This is a good conversation

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lol at octopode's care posts

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

TTerrible posted:

You first, contract lawyer superspy.

Don't forget cloud hosting expert as well.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Octopode and Karl are game dev Renaissance men

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Octopode, I just finished some important paperwork and I am in a good mood. I am going to celebrate by explaining to you how you are wrong.

Currently the established facts are that Chris Roberts of Star Citizen asked the public for two million dollars to be used to make a video game. Investors were mentioned, but no concrete dollar amount was explicitly pushed towards the public at the same time. Therefore it could be assumed that a reasonable and intelligent person with the facts available at that time would expect that 2mil+ was scope of their budget. If Bootcha's experience is representative of his typical investor (and, you have supplied no evidence to the contrary, so I'm inclined to regard him as being typical) - a local, garnered by word of mouth in for the tune of a few dozen thousand. That -extrapolated across a few international offices puts his initial budget to the low side of five million dollars - tops. Do I have to remind you how many times you have to multiply a number like 50,000 to equal 1,000,000?

Based on the incredulous nature of Chris Robert's marketing, I not inclined to believe that the $20 million figure quoted in the article was accurate.

edit: I am returning to this post specifically for you Octopode: I would like to posit a question. Do you in fact believe that Chris Roberts is an honest and trustworthy man? Would you cite him as a verifiable source for data that you could trust? Would you take his advice on purchasing a used car?

Octopode posted:

Which I have, from multiple places. How about the counter: provide evidence the original budget was $2M. Until you can provide evidence contrary to that I've provided, you're the one with the burden of proof here.

[code]
[img]starcitizenkickstarter.jpg[/img]

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Nov 28, 2015

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

DreadLlama posted:

reasonable and intelligent person

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Eonwe posted:

lol at octopode's care posts

remember when he doxxed himself for ~*~sick internet burnz~*~ to win an internet forum slapfight?

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
what the gently caress is even happening right now

Flatulance-a-lot
Jun 3, 2011

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I am downloading Elite: Dangerous because it is on sale and also a good game which exists. Also I am calling octopode a liar because it is fun.

Othin posted:

Hello. How are you?

The Pi dude
Oct 19, 2013
Buglord

Othin posted:

Dreams. Dreams happen now.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Can I get that dancing cat as an avatar? Mods thx tia.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

remember when he doxxed himself for ~*~sick internet burnz~*~ to win an internet forum slapfight?

that owned really hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

aleksendr posted:

You can also make another StarWars parallel : Lucas had to fight and compromise for his vision at every steps during the first trylogy, resulting in very good films. Once he got everything he wanted, plenty of money, complete creative control and near perfect CGI technology we ended up with the Phantom menace.

It was Lucas' wife at the time who reigned him in and kept the movie focused. And did most of the editing iirc. She was also involved with the first Indiana Jones movie. You can see what happened to both series after she left.

• Locked thread