Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

blue squares posted:

Uh, no. I'm not a christian but the actual christian text (the Bible) forbids killing under all circumstances. There is no gray area.
I doubt there's a single word in the entire bible that hasn't been re-interpreted at least a hundred times over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

blue squares posted:

Uh, no. I'm not a christian but the actual christian text (the Bible) forbids killing under all circumstances. There is no gray area.

Pretty sure this is why they always double back to the Old Testament™. Good ol' fashioned God smitin', Philistine killin', pillar of saltin', sinner floodin', badassery :black101:

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Nov 28, 2015

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Just saw on twitter two people are dead. :smith: This sucks.
Press conf is starting; 2 civilians, 1 officer from UCCS dead

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grey Fox posted:

Press conf is starting; 2 civilians, 1 officer from UCCS dead

So three civilians.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

So three civilians.
I can't tell if this is a statement about cops being civilians too or if you think university police are not "real cops."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alkydere posted:

The days running up to the 2016 election are going to be "Skewed Polls 3: Skew Harder", aren't they?

We already have posters going down this pathway to madness in the EE GOP primary thread.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Grey Fox posted:

I can't tell if this is a statement about cops being civilians too or if you think university police are not "real cops."

The former. And not just cops. Everyone is a civilian. That's the point of a republic.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Joementum posted:

The former. And not just cops. Everyone is a civilian. That's the point of a republic.
Ok, cool. I was just going on how the Lt. giving the statement described it.

SnakePlissken
Dec 31, 2009

by zen death robot

Rincewinds posted:

If he believed that he had to violate laws in order to follow his faith, Rubio will have his back.

drat, that was just what, this morning?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
Reading between the lines here, my takeaway is that a large part of why this went on as long as it did is because years of threats had led to the building being turned into a loving fortress. A 12 foot fence, reinforced walls, bulletproof windows, a safe room, and an equipment locker full of defensive gear, plus the hostages meant they had to be extremely careful in engaging

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad
CNN invited a GOP rep to an interview during the shooting and the GOP rep proceeded to condemn the (fake) PP videos:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/cnn-adam-kizinger-colorado-shooting_5658f63ee4b079b2818a7327

quote:

“We saw these barbaric videos, and that was something that many of us have a legitimate concern about,” Kizinger said.
“Obviously this is a person that has a mental-health issue that’s to some level psychotic and crazy,” he said. “If he is [targeting Planned Parenthood], he is taking a legitimate disagreement with a practice and turned it into an evil response.”

Not surprised this is being treated as a lone-wolf, mental health, let's focus only on the victims type of event.

Sherrod Brown 3 days ago: http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewire/sherrod-brown-white-male-terrorists

quote:

Sen. Sherrod Brown (D-OH) said Thursday that "generally white males" have carried out terror attacks since 9/11 in the United States.
“I mean, since the beginning of the Bush administration when we were attacked, September 11th, we’ve not had any major terrorist attacks in this country. We’ve had individual crazy people, of normally, they look more like me than they look like Middle Easterners," Brown said. "They are generally white males, who have shot up people in movie theaters and schools. Those are terrorist attacks, they’re just different kinds of terrorists.”

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Fried Chicken posted:

Reading between the lines here, my takeaway is that a large part of why this went on as long as it did is because years of threats had led to the building being turned into a loving fortress. A 12 foot fence, reinforced walls, bulletproof windows, a safe room, and an equipment locker full of defensive gear, plus the hostages meant they had to be extremely careful in engaging

Can't wait for this to -- somehow -- be PP's fault.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

gently caress these motherfuckers, and nothing will be done about any of this, even after police murders.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

"They started it!" - Intellectual stalwarts of a political team consisting of Matt Walsh, and Huckabee.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

The post right above yours mentions it.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Sin creates Sin and by being a sinful place of evil it drew evil to it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Hollismason posted:

Sin creates Sin and by being a sinful place of evil it drew evil to it.

Sin is Jecht.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

silvergoose posted:

Sin is Jecht.

I hate you for making this joke and I hate myself for getting it.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

silvergoose posted:

Sin is Jecht.

"This is my story... and you're not part of it." *guns down crowd of people*

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

silvergoose posted:

Sin is Jecht.

oh goddamn you.

Who What Now posted:

"This is my story... and you're not part of it." *guns down crowd of people*

"I don't like your practice..."*cocks gun* "...it sucks."

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

"The bitches were asking for it, they're all asking for it!" :bahgawd:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
That's legitimately what evangelicals believe. My prediction is to expect Westboro there in no time at all.

LiterallyTheWurst
Feb 5, 2015

Sendik's Original

Sorry to jump in on this conversation late, but I give IQ tests for a living. This test blows. It relies too heavily on the person's knowledge of math concepts and English. There are parts that aren't bad, but it honestly pisses me off that people are trying to make major decisions using this stuff. There are a lot of people with large discrepancies in their general abilities of intelligence (fluid reasoning, short term memory, etc.), that can rock deductive reasoning and come out in the low average range of a test because of memory issues, poor visual processing, etc. There have been major strides in reducing cultural bias since the tests of the 1990s, and this one is not reflective of that at all.
Also, about 2/3 rds of people will score between 85 and 115. That's the average range, though kids at the bottom and top of the range will have very different grades and achievement in their careers. Anything higher than that and a person is considered intelligent.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Ali Dukakis reports that her grandfather's upstairs freezer, basement freezer, and neighbors' freezer are now all full of turkey carcasses.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

LiterallyTheWurst posted:

Sorry to jump in on this conversation late, but I give IQ tests for a living. This test blows. It relies too heavily on the person's knowledge of math concepts and English. There are parts that aren't bad, but it honestly pisses me off that people are trying to make major decisions using this stuff. There are a lot of people with large discrepancies in their general abilities of intelligence (fluid reasoning, short term memory, etc.), that can rock deductive reasoning and come out in the low average range of a test because of memory issues, poor visual processing, etc. There have been major strides in reducing cultural bias since the tests of the 1990s, and this one is not reflective of that at all.
Also, about 2/3 rds of people will score between 85 and 115. That's the average range, though kids at the bottom and top of the range will have very different grades and achievement in their careers. Anything higher than that and a person is considered intelligent.

What's a good test system?

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

blue squares posted:

Unless, of course, you come across the river Jordan and can't pronounce the word 'Shibboleth'. Then you're totally fair game.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Joementum posted:

Ali Dukakis reports that her grandfather's upstairs freezer, basement freezer, and neighbors' freezer are now all full of turkey carcasses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr2PlqXw03Y

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Joementum posted:

Excellent, mission accomplished.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I liked it better when the right used video games as a vague scapegoat to deflect serious discussion regarding radical protestantism and gun control. It's insulting that they try to hide behind mental health disorders to protect their rotten beliefs.

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Kaal posted:

Christmas was threatened back in the 17th century when Puritans opposed celebration of it due to its pagan, secular and supposedly anti-Christian nature, and closed the churches to prevent people from celebrating it. In fact New England Puritans used to jail and fine people for celebrating Christmas throughout the 17th and 18th centuries. Fortunately the cultural power of Christmas - which has a beloved and multi-layered heritage that goes back to Roman times - prevailed. The modern day "War on Christmas" cultural warriors are just religiously and historically illiterate.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/15/opinion/the-puritan-war-on-christmas.html
http://www.revolutionspodcast.com/2013/12/supplemental-the-war-on-christmas.html

My English essay on this subject was better and I will fight anyone who says otherwise. :colbert:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Seems like #alllivesmatter is actually making a difference since this armed white guy was taken alive after murdering a cop and two other people.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Joementum posted:

Mike Dukakis is an awesome person.

That's all I got for this conversation.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Remember everyone, you can't call it terrorism unless it meets the following:

1. Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
AND
2. Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping;

So please, don't use the word lightly.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Is there any chance that the response to this will be more along the lines of "we should stop allowing talk radio and Rupert Murdoch to fill American airwaves with hate speech" instead of the usual "time to talk about gun control for a month and then stop"?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Kilroy posted:

Is there any chance that the response to this will be more along the lines of "we should stop allowing talk radio and Rupert Murdoch to fill American airwaves with hate speech" instead of the usual "time to talk about gun control for a month and then stop"?

No.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Kilroy posted:

no we'll talk about how this proves pp is an unsafe place and more regulations are needed to make them safe or they should be shut down

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

Kilroy posted:

Lawl, what do you think?

^^That too.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kilroy posted:

Hahahahahahahahahah!!! You put way too much faith in the American people and American media.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
There's a better chance of law enforcement in Colorado Springs inventing a time travel machine and traveling back in time to stop this whole thing than the US having that sort of discussion.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Trabisnikof posted:

Remember everyone, you can't call it terrorism unless it meets the following:

1. Involve acts dangerous to human life that violate federal or state law;
AND
2. Appear intended (i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; (ii) to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or (iii) to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination. or kidnapping;

So please, don't use the word lightly.

Certainly this is intended to intimidate abortion providers, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Kilroy posted:

poo poo we'll be lucky if we get to discuss gun control and not "what expensive or impossible things can we madate PP do in the name of safety."

"Why wasn't PP required to check everyones's IDs through a one-way bulletproof glass window? Why wasn't there multiple armed guards on site 24/7? Let's mandate those for all abortion providers, just to be safe. I'm sure they can sell a few more baby hearts to make up their profit loss."

30.5 Days posted:

Certainly this is intended to intimidate abortion providers, though.

Repeat after me "we will never truly understand or know the motives or intentions of such an evil and mentally troubled individual."

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 28, 2015

• Locked thread