Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah, if anyone has any interest in this old abandoned game on life support you really really need to pick the slot up. It doesn't quite eliminate the need for a subscription but it sure comes close to it, and it's a world of difference if you're only used to the archetype crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I can't decide what to make :ohdear:

e: THE BIG RED BUTTON let's be a little crazier even

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 28, 2015

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
It's too bad I have no internet-abled computer that can also run CO right now, or I'd be all over that. :emo:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

You have til December 1 :shrug:

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Ready to try this dead game! ok, what's the most op build? i have no idea what to do.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
Flesh Forge's melee control build is ridiculous, my Dodge/Invuln build makes you actually unable to die while AFK in the hardest content in the game. Generally click his history or mine, as both of us have posted a ton of OP shitwrecker builds.

Mind you, most of the fun in the game is decinding on a stupid gimmick, then engineering an OP build out of the idea.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

malhavok posted:

Ready to try this dead game! ok, what's the most op build? i have no idea what to do.

The archetype that looks like a Jedi is really easy and fun to max level.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Cuchulain posted:

Mind you, most of the fun in the game is decinding on a stupid gimmick, then engineering an OP build out of the idea.

Totally agree and probably what i'll do once i actually know the game, but for now i'll happily copy one of you smart guys builds.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Flesh Forge posted:

Here's a wonderful thing: a melee controller that does pretty good damage. It's like a combination of the best things of COX's controllers and dominators:

Again, I plan to pile up as much Presence as possible. It really pleases me that there's several ways to be a very good crowd controller in this game. It also tickles me that Presence (charisma) is a powergamer stat.

So I'm trying to follow this build but i don't get the choice of "crashing wave kick" at level 1, what gives?

jjac
Jun 12, 2007

What time is it?!

malhavok posted:

So I'm trying to follow this build but i don't get the choice of "crashing wave kick" at level 1, what gives?

I think if you refund your second power you're eligible to choose any tier 1 power in the tree you start with.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

jjac posted:

I think if you refund your second power you're eligible to choose any tier 1 power in the tree you start with.

Oh, ok... how do i do that?

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Gotta do it before you leave the powerhouse, or just Retcon your character later.

Speaking of, I just claimed my free Freeform slot. Now I know I can't just drag one of my old characters into it because REASONS but I'm wondering, if I convert one of my Gold dudes to Silver, can I later reconvert them to Freeform if I go gold again?

Edit: Pretty much, I want to play the Automaton so I can get the powers unlocked for my Freeform slot, but it wont let me roll one because I need to be level 40. I have several level 40 characters, so I think converting one Gold to Silver would unlock it, then I could level it to 40 on my Silver slot?

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Nov 28, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Cuchulain posted:

Gotta do it before you leave the powerhouse, or just Retcon your character later.

Speaking of, I just claimed my free Freeform slot. Now I know I can't just drag one of my old characters into it because REASONS but I'm wondering, if I convert one of my Gold dudes to Silver, can I later reconvert them to Freeform if I go gold again?

Edit: Pretty much, I want to play the Automaton so I can get the powers unlocked for my Freeform slot, but it wont let me roll one because I need to be level 40. I have several level 40 characters, so I think converting one Gold to Silver would unlock it, then I could level it to 40 on my Silver slot?

You can convert a character from AT to Freeform but it costs a zen store item, like 1500 zen when not on sale. Do you have any level 40 characters that are not locked behind gold slots, that's probably what's wrong.

The Automaton AT is really very good though, it's one of the best (by AT standards).

Refer to the OP for info on how to join the public goon channel and any of the oldbies that play regularly (there are several who are on all the time) can invite you.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

I am one of the Oldbies Flesh. :v:

And yeah, all my 40's are Gold. I couldn't remember if Upgrading was free or not. I'll just blitz something to 40 in Alerts when I've got a few hours to kill.

Edit: Looking over the calculator, a bunch of my builds have gone all... weird. I guess they added some new powers. Namely a new Martial Arts block and stuff. Scrambled some old PowerHouse builds.

Is the new MA block any good? Any other added powers that are useful in freeform since 2013?

Cuchulain fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Nov 28, 2015

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Of course, the "how to join" info was directed at any new people.

I haven't looked at the new MA block in a long time but I remember it being a very big chunk of dodge/avoid if you were OK with the mechanic of blocking a bit to obtain an off-block buff. IMO it's way way better than Parry. I can't think of any other powers that you wouldn't have seen before.

General Maximus
Jul 14, 2006
Standard models come in white labcoats for inexplicable reasons.
I vaguely remember that block power being considered terrible cause it only gives the massive dodge buff, meaning it lacks the resistance buff even the base block gives you so you end up taking more damage than you'd think even if you're dodging 100% of everything thrown at you. I'm not sure if that was just people on the forums being terrible or an actual problem though.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Cuchulain posted:

I remember right after alerts came out and there was still a big goon presence (we would constantly be rolling full-goon alert teams), someone made a gimmick major-knockback build around some kicking power with a Doc Sampson type character (though the name was a boot pun I've forgotten).

Stuff like that was great. :allears:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

General Maximus posted:

I vaguely remember that block power being considered terrible cause it only gives the massive dodge buff, meaning it lacks the resistance buff even the base block gives you so you end up taking more damage than you'd think even if you're dodging 100% of everything thrown at you. I'm not sure if that was just people on the forums being terrible or an actual problem though.

There's two MA blocks; The older Parry, and the newer Fluidity. Parry's very good even as a generic block for any character, though the advantage makes it excellent for melee builds for extra knock resist and dodge. You'll need high DEX though.

Fluidity is trash unless you already have over 50% dodge and about 80% avoidance. So basically only if you use Lightning Reflexes.

I'd share some of my builds I've gathered up over time, but I'm on mobile right now due to being on vacation. Also means I'll miss the freeform slot deal, but I'm lifetime and already have way too many char slots to know what to do with them.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

e: THE BIG RED BUTTON let's be a little crazier even

This is what I'm actually doing

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

Played with Flesh tonight. On one hand, his build is super cool. On the other hand everything was dead before I could get into melee so I hate it and also you're dumb. :saddowns:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I came to my senses and stuck with concentration instead of aspect of the machine though :v:

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
So, I have a new freeform slot. What to do with it....Well, maybe pets?

Is that workable?

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Pets are totally fine, they're not exactly mind-blowingly powerful but they're very decent. They all have at least a couple of appearance options as well, e.g. Summon Animals (I think) can be set to look like little velociraptors :3 If you're going all in with being a pet herder, you probably want some support powers, like Aura of Primal Majesty and Inertial Dampening Field, and maybe an AOE heal of some sort, plus whatever DPS type stuff to do that avoids boredom for you :shrug:

Choice of superstats has no impact on pet health or damage at all, as far as I know. There are some pet-specific perks in the Commander tree, and you may also want Overseer or Arbiter or Sentry for their useful AOE passive buffing perks (pretty sure these apply to pets).

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Does a freeform slot seriously cost 50 bucks?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

malhavok posted:

Does a freeform slot seriously cost 50 bucks?

Yeah. It's their primary driver for subscriptions so they don't want people to get them too easily. Uh, usually. This free one has never happened before.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Realistically they're $25 and you buy them in the half off sales they do every once in a while.

Guy Forget
Dec 25, 2006
It's not pronounced the way you think.

Kelp Plankton posted:

Yeah. It's their primary driver for subscriptions so they don't want people to get them too easily. Uh, usually. This free one has never happened before.

Maybe that whole "buy your way to level 40" thing has been selling well and they figure a bunch of free freeform slots will motivate people to spend their way to the top? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I think they just decided to relax a little bit and attract some new players, or some returning old players. Hiring a new dev who is a huge costume sperg and who is apparently really motivated to fix costume stuff was pretty smart too.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I had never tried PA/Shoulder Launcher before because I was put off by the warmup time, but dang it goes really well with Orbital Cannon. :stonkhat:

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Flesh Forge posted:

I think they just decided to relax a little bit and attract some new players, or some returning old players. Hiring a new dev who is a huge costume sperg and who is apparently really motivated to fix costume stuff was pretty smart too.

How about they fix the hillarious combat before going cosmetic? Just a thought.

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Nov 30, 2015

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Trying to make that automaton AT and I have come up with this costume

http://i.imgur.com/R296GF3.png

But I have no idea what the hell to call him. Anyone have any good brain jokes or something?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Half Wit.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

iminers posted:

How about they fix the hillarious combat before going cosmetic? Just a thought.

In general I like the combat and have never had a problem with it :shrug: CO has various faults but gameplay isn't really one of them. There's some balance problems here and there but I've always enjoyed CO's combat.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

After a gigantic amount of hand wringing, this is what I actually ended up doing with my freeform slot:

quote:

Name: The Big Red Button

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Recovery (Secondary)

Powers:
Level 1: Sonic Blaster
Level 1: Pulse Beam Rifle (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Experimental Burst Ray (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 8: Concentration
Level 11: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 14: Nanobot Swarm
Level 17: Overdrive
Level 20: Strafing Run (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
Level 26: Lock N Load (Rank 2)
Level 29: Evasive Maneuvers (Sleight of Mind)
Level 32: Force Shield (Force Sheathe)
Level 35: Shoulder Launcher (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 38: Field Surge (Rank 2, Power Swell)

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Pack (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation (Rank 2)

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (1/3)
Ego: Aggression (2/2)
Ego: Follow Through (3/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (2/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Is there a not poo poo place to look up detailed power info online?

The builder is nice for if you already know all the secondary effects, but trying to work out something as simple as "Do both Ego Blade and Kinetic Darts give ego leech?" online is loving impossible, as one wiki doesn't bother saying about ego leech at all (and doesn't even list ID Mastery as a power), and the other wiki lists vandal joke taco based teleportation power statistics for both TK energy builders.

If I had a sub I could just use a dust collecting higher level character to view all the powers in the power house. But F2P mode, can't really look any of that stuff up ahead of time with a freeform slot.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Nov 30, 2015

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Section Z posted:

Is there a not poo poo place to look up detailed power info online?

The builder is nice for if you already know all the secondary effects, but trying to work out something as simple as "Do both Ego Blade and Kinetic Darts give ego leech?" online is loving impossible, as one wiki doesn't bother saying about ego leech at all (and doesn't even list ID Mastery as a power), and the other wiki lists vandal joke taco based teleportation power statistics for both TK energy builders.

If I had a sub I could just use a dust collecting higher level character to view all the powers in the power house. But F2P mode, can't really look any of that stuff up ahead of time with a freeform slot.

Hopefully my steam guide on powers can help a bit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180409692

Finally back home, here's a good lasersword/power armor/energy tank build that draws stupid agro. Used it to level, it was one of the better experiences I had:
http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0002ssp3Ugt09gO

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

After a gigantic amount of hand wringing, this is what I actually ended up doing with my freeform slot:

This is a Fun Character :pervert:

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Bluhman posted:

Hopefully my steam guide on powers can help a bit:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=180409692

Finally back home, here's a good lasersword/power armor/energy tank build that draws stupid agro. Used it to level, it was one of the better experiences I had:
http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powe...0002ssp3Ugt09gO

This is a cool guide, you are cool for writing it.

I think the thing City Of Heroes ruined most long term for me was quality of wiki/builder(especially builder) info compared to a poo poo load of games.

"Surely, I can look up the specific effects of powers in this seven year old MMO?... Oh it ranges from wildly out of date missing powers to outright vandalized. Well, maybe a more big brand name one like DCUO will have better quality wiki-nope."

Orv
May 4, 2011
What are the requirements for the free freeform giveaway, or is that already processed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You just go to the Bonus section of the store.