Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
:siren: Round 5, Fight 1 :siren:

Note to self: It's easier to GIF these loving things and transcribe what happens than it is to edit images.

This Bites is on the left side of the arena.
Knife Toseeu (synthorange) is a female strangler. She wields a copper large dagger and a wooden buckler and wears no armor.
Sun Tzulander the Philomodel (Keru) is a male elf. He is empty handed and wears a steel cap, a copper mail shirt, a silver breast plate, leather leggings, leather gauntlets, and leather high boots.
Roland Gorchnik (Maarak) is a male human. He wields a copper whip and a copper scourge and wears an iron cap, leather armor, leather gauntlets, and leather low boots.
Eyeteeth IV (Revenant Threshold) is a male werewolf. He wields a wooden buckler and a wooden buckler and wears an iron helm, leather armor, an iron mail shirt, iron greaves, copper gauntlets, and copper high boots.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is on the right side of the arena.
Punc Hant (Silverminnow) is a female soldier ant woman. She is empty handed and wears adamantine gauntlets.
BS-45 "Apeliminator" (alcharagia) is a male strangler. He wields a bronze whip and a wooden buckler and wears a copper helm and leather gauntlets.
Jimbo Akimbo (Bad Munki) is a male dwarf. He wields a copper war hammer and a copper war hammer and wears an iron cap, an iron mail shirt, and iron gauntlets.
The Krying Bowbold Returns! (Krysmphoenix) is a female kobold. She wields a steel bow and wears no armor.

Cool Rad Awesome Pals is a 1.56 to 1 betting favorite in this match with 2750.00 dwarfbucks in total bets placed on them, compared to 1766.00 dwarfbucks for This Bites.

Bowbold fires as the contestants charge across the arena floor. A direct hit! Sun Tzulander is struck in the least protected area: His hand. The bolt smashes his left hand and wrist into pieces, and Sun Tzulander is down! I do believe the Bowbold just won the match with a single shot.

Another arrow flies harmlessly by the melee. Knife Toseeu stabs Punc Hant in the leg. Ant ichor sprays across the floor. Jimbo Akimbo swings into action and sends Roland to the floor with bone sticking out of his foot. Roland fires back the floor and Jimbo's thigh muscle is torn by his scourge. Knife Toseeu dodges Apeliminator, and Punc Hant with ease. The tiny fighter leaps forward and stabs Punc Hant in the leg a second time for funsies, then spins on his heel and slams the knife into Apeliminators chest. The dagger fails to find the heart, but drat that looks painful.

Knife Toseeu dodges more blows from other fighters and then slashes Punc Hants insect head off of her thorax, or whatever ant heads connect to. The spin move that was effective moments ago is employed, and Knife Toseeu's dagger takes Apeliminators head from his shoulders. Knife Toseeu ends in one of those super cool swordfighting stances like in the movies from the 80's. At least I imagine he does.

Despite Bowbold taking one of the enemy out before combat began the home team is easily in control now.

It's a pigpile on poor Jimbo Akimbo. Roland whips his foot to shreds, Jimbo puts Rolands ribs into his lungs. Eyeteeth flails like a schoolgirl. Knife Toseeu puts a knife deep into Jimbo's calf. That severely pisses Jimbo off. He has become enraged, watch out everyone!

Knife Toseeu takes off Jimbo's mangled foot. Eyeteeth does something other than bash ineffectively with shields. Huge teeth latch onto Jimbo's foot. As the shaking starts the poor dwarf passes out. Roland takes off Jimbos hand, and then Bowbold reminds everyone of his presence with a well-shot arrow. Knife Toseeu's non-weapon hand takes the arrow, and pain envelopes the fighter. Roland lashes Jimbo's head until it caves in.

Knife Toseeu is in pain, but still manages to get to the Bowbold before there is another arrow fired. 2 quick stabs take down Bowbold. Eyeteeth arrives and begins pounding away, but Knife Toseeu chops off the kobolds head quickly.

Winners: This Bites with a 4-0 victory.

Kills:
Knife Toseeu: 3
Roland Gorchnik: 1

Combat Log

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fallingdownjoe
Mar 16, 2007

Please love me
Well, that was brutal.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

fallingdownjoe posted:

Well, that was brutal.

Wow, no kidding. Harsh, and also my first major bet loss.

Speaking of betting, why are the bet values on the fight different from the arena page?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Some ultimate combat machine you turned out to be, Apeliminator! I bet you're not even a machine, you're just trash! :mad:

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

jon joe posted:

Not the last I hope. Also, after the tourney I want to see the Krying Kobold and Bad Munki(Coward)'s builds side by side. I want to see why the first one barely finds his mark, and the second is the goddamn terminator.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
With that one fight, This Bites just doubled their kill tally, and Knife Toseeu earns a hallowed place upon the second tier of the most killy. Congratulations, Cool Rad Awesome Pals, you have demonstrated your utter crapulence in the face of all opposition. (Except Lightly Whipped. You're not even good at being the worst team.)

Edit:

Ramc posted:

Not the last I hope. Also, after the tourney I want to see the Krying Kobold and Bad Munki(Coward)'s builds side by side. I want to see why the first one barely finds his mark, and the second is the goddamn terminator.

Bad Munki (Coward) is a deadly sniper whose team can take advantage of their lethal aim through bloodthirsty aggression. The Krying Bowbold isn't.

AJ_Impy fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Nov 27, 2015

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

I imagine one having significantly more points invested into archery or bows than the others. That, or Armok merely decided.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

everyone posted:

Bad Munki (Coward)

This is still extremely confusing for me.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I like to think I was instrumental in us winning that fight. RIP left hand.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Keru posted:

I like to think I was instrumental in us winning that fight. RIP left hand.

Man of the loving match. The arrow almost hit Knife Toseeu but you bravely dove in front of it.

Maybe?

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

Man of the loving match. The arrow almost hit Knife Toseeu but you bravely dove in front of it.

Maybe?

Krying was only using common sense when picking his targets. That elf knocked out a yeti with one punch. Can you imagine what he'd do to a kobold?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Ramc posted:

Krying was only using common sense when picking his targets. That elf knocked out a yeti with one punch. Can you imagine what he'd do to a kobold?

The phrase 'Injured part collapses into gore' springs to mind.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Ooh ooh! Was testing my ant against randoms from last tournament and got my first 'It was a gelding blow!'

I still lost the fight because I chopped a dwarfs dick off and he got enraged.

My antwoman is dragging my team down :(

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
The elf woke up the moment the fight ended haha!

quote:

Kobold 1 has been struck down.
Sun Tzulander_BITES regains consciousness.
Roland Gorchnik_BITES: Death... The horror consumes me!
Sun Tzulander_BITES: Can it all end so quickly? This doesn't scare me.
Sun Tzulander_BITES: I've been wounded. It's annoying.
Sun Tzulander_BITES is no longer stunned.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Ramc posted:

I'll reveal my build right away, because this is depressing. :cry:

quote:

She has the following equipment.
Steel Bow

She has the following skills.
Level 10 Archery (Accomplished)
Level 6 Bow (Talented)
The reason Archery is so high is that I bought 5 Bow at creation, and invested the rest in Archery for the extra accuracy. So...I have no loving idea. :psyduck: I can only assume the other bowbold has maxed Archery or more investment in Bow, despite wasting skill points on the cap.

Also seriously people, pronouns!

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
I'd be interested in talking about the archers' differences, but it's the sort of case where I'd have to have both players reveal it before I can really natter on, just because I don't want to be abusing my role as fight operator.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

SynthOrange posted:

Update your fighters!

I can't?

A good poster
Jan 10, 2010

SynthOrange posted:

Update your fighters!

We didn't get a full round of update points, just a participation bonus for logging in to the site.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

I'd be interested in talking about the archers' differences, but it's the sort of case where I'd have to have both players reveal it before I can really natter on, just because I don't want to be abusing my role as fight operator.

In the most losingest team I was in, The Committee to Elect, we all made bad choices in our own way. Our own archer put a ton of ranks into dodge. If you are in a situation where your archer needs to dodge, you probably already lost.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

A good poster posted:

We didn't get a full round of update points, just a participation bonus for logging in to the site.

Yeah, 50 points/ round or something.

Finally got my leather armor :toot:

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot

jon joe posted:

Speaking of betting, why are the bet values on the fight different from the arena page?

There were probably a few bets placed on the fight after Spermy Smurf started running the fight, but before the fight was completed and the results uploaded.

The administration page currently captures the bet values as of the moment that the commissioner starts running the fight.

tithin posted:

I can't?

Once a new round starts, the fighter builds are locked until after they've completed their match for the round.

Jazzimus Prime fucked around with this message at 09:46 on Nov 28, 2015

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Yeah that was a reminder to do it now! (where now was before the round starts)

Also :toot: Knife!

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

Bad Munki posted:

This is still extremely confusing for me.

Hooray!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I'll reveal my build right away, because this is depressing. :cry:

She has the following equipment.
Steel Bow

She has the following skills.
Level 10 Archery (Accomplished)
Level 6 Bow (Talented)

The reason Archery is so high is that I bought 5 Bow at creation, and invested the rest in Archery for the extra accuracy. So...I have no loving idea. :psyduck: I can only assume the other bowbold has maxed Archery or more investment in Bow, despite wasting skill points on the cap.

Also seriously people, pronouns!

Yep, I was wondering about that. Thanks for showing your build because I did suspect it was something to do with Archery being a problem like Fighting is.

Here's Bad Munki's build:

He has the following equipment.
Steel Bow
Leather Cap

He has the following skills.
Level 5 Archery (Proficient)
Level 5 Bow (Proficient)
Level 4 Dodging (Skilled)

I actually made really sure not to put Archery higher than his Bow skill, or make it higher than 5 or so.

Probably shouldn't have bothered with Dodge, but I wasn't sure how the fights would go, and there was one fight in a previous tournament we would have lost if my Bowbold hadn't been able to Dodge enough.

Coward fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Nov 28, 2015

Ramc
May 4, 2008

This seems like it could just be some RNG hate on Krying, then?

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker
It's more a lack of support. The rest of her team consists of a comedy boxing insect, a pile of armour with a brace of cheap hammers, and a guy with a whip. Bad Munki (Coward), on the other hand, has teammates with a pick, a halberd and a bigger, heavier hammer. The Skeletons follow up the deadly opening salvo from their archer by taking off limbs and causing mayhem, buying time for Bad Munki (Coward) to continue raining death. The Pals follow up the opening salvo by getting squished and not distracting the enemy from incoming fire.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Yeah, archers require a team that can live long enough for them to fire off shots, and is capable of exploiting on damage inflicted.

There's also the factor of how much dodging skill the enemy team has. I'm probably not spoiling much when I say that I didn't put a lot of points into dodging on my head-to-toe armored minotaur that ended up taking 2 bolts to the gut.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!
So, my archer thoughts. Let me start with this one: in a vacuum, I'm absolutely certain that Krying is a better build than Bad Munki.

I'm actually going to sort of summarize how I think the archers fared in each fight. With links. (Thanks, Jazzimus)
Round one:
Munki lands all four shots, to great effect.
Krying misses one shot, hits a mole second, hits a gremlin, lands a killing blow (:byodood:)
Basically luck. Krying missed one by stupid luck and DF vagaries, but both fighters performed well here.

Round two:
Munki has a mixed bag. Great first shot, then can't kill an ant with the same sort of shot that Krying killed a mole with last round. Team goes down; Munki's hat and dodging do nothing at all. Not a good showing.
Krying hates shields. She hates them. Literally did nothing of value all fight.

Round three:
Munki helps, but the Dentists made their own bed, here, with Flynn too slow to contribute much and the other three on each team just happening to go Munki-ways.
Krying can't do a loving thing about the phalanx dying like that.

Round four:
Munki starts by being helpful, then his shots start meandering all over the place, at one point completely literally curving in mid-air to avoid the enemy. Check the yellow arrow for the first shot at Panty Thief and where it ended up. It actually curved further than I could really indicate with a straight line.
Krying breaks a nail. On the other guys' side, I mean.

Round five:
Munki ain't there yet.
Krying lands two very solid hits, but nothing works out, as the front line dies.

So. Given that I've said Krying is flatly a better build, why isn't she a more commanding warrior? Two reasons. One: Skeletons are better than CRAP. It's just a plain ol' better team around Munki. The Skeletons are all effective fighters, with a variety and general competency to them. CRAP... aren't. Jimbo is the closest to a good build, but two warhammers this early isn't the best investment, I'm pretty sure. Apeliminator wouldn't be bad... with a weapon that isn't whips. Crossreference Lightly Whipped. And Punc Hant I can only assume is an intentionally bad build.

The second reason is the "Dwarf Fortress :psyduck:" one: Munki is in the middle, Krying is in the fourth slot. It's easier to shoot straight than at even a slight angle.

This is hard to explain. I'm going to need diagrams. It's possible for even completely straight shots to jink left or right (especially at low archery), so this is more "general expectations" than guaranteed.

In Figure 1, with an archer shooting at someone directly opposite, they will 'run into' each other. Neither one will sidestep, so the arrow is sure to overlap the oncoming axman. Once they're on the same square, the game makes the attack roll.This is where the archer's bow skill comes into play, as well as the axman's defenses (shield, dodge, armor).

Figure 2 is more interesting. The arrow doesn't take a straight-line course from archer to axman, and I don't think it's determined which exact blue path it will follow (since I've seen shots curve weirdly when shot at angles), so my best interpretation is the game does something like "I'm two squares up and three squares left of my target, so I'll have a 2/5 chance of moving down and 3/5 chance of moving right". Probably will a little fuzz intentionally, since archery skill seems to result in straighter shots, and also probably played with to avoid a run of weird luck making shot go purely down, but don't take this simple example too literally.

Meanwhile, the axman sees the archer's ally coming at him from the place his red arrow is pointing at, so he's moving directly left. Here's the rub. If the archer's shot takes the earlier right moves, the arrow flatly will not hit if the axman gets even one step; he won't even be in the same square as it, so it can't roll an attack. The arrow will zip past and not even generate a report in the combat log.

The conclusion here is that the team's archer should hold the middle position; arrows have a better chance of intersecting an enemy square from there. I think CRAP would instantly become a measurably better team if Krying could swap places with Jimbo or Punc.

Despite being a strictly superior build as an archer, a combination of factors have congealed out of thin air specifically to make Krying's job harder.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Being able to set up your team lineup order might be a good functionality for future team tourneys.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I am going to get your fighter some drat nerd glasses next fight I run.

Coward
Sep 10, 2009

I say we take off and surrender unconditionally from orbit.

It's the only way to be sure

ZeeToo posted:

Archer lineup

:psyduck: Holy poo poo. That explains so much. It explains why my archer in a previous tourney with much higher skills was still missing half of their shots. Hilariously your position in a lineup can be a better indicator of successful sniping than actual skill.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's also relevant if you're actually, like, playing the game (I think people still do that?) and setting up fortress defenses.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Ramc posted:

Being able to set up your team lineup order might be a good functionality for future team tourneys.

Agreed. Imagine, teams with two archers in the middle and two burly tanks on the sides!

Ramc
May 4, 2008

jon joe posted:

Agreed. Imagine, teams with two archers in the middle and two burly tanks on the sides!

Being able to set your own lineup and the enemy team lineup would be an interesting home team vs visiting team advantage, but honestly in execution that is such a logistical nightmare that I don't endorse it.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Ramc posted:

Being able to set your own lineup and the enemy team lineup would be an interesting home team vs visiting team advantage, but honestly in execution that is such a logistical nightmare that I don't endorse it.

No, actually, that would add about thirty seconds to my routine, as long as it were something I could be easily informed of and assuming we don't have something silly like "two members of the home team give me completely conflicting rules".

Ramc
May 4, 2008

ZeeToo posted:

No, actually, that would add about thirty seconds to my routine, as long as it were something I could be easily informed of and assuming we don't have something silly like "two members of the home team give me completely conflicting rules".

I just mean getting eight teams of four people to agree on their preferred lineups and get them in in a timely manner.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

Yam Slacker

Ramc posted:

I just mean getting eight teams of four people to agree on their preferred lineups and get them in in a timely manner.

Set it during initial team creation. first come first served on choice.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

AJ_Impy posted:

Set it during initial team creation. first come first served on choice.

Worked for team names.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
I noticed the lineup issue as well; since everyone on Worker Coop has different equipment, matchups are an important consideration. I think one thing helping the Subterranean team is that they don't have to worry about being dunked on due to odd arrangements.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I think for now lineups should be left alone for now, since it would unbalance the season. Maybe once we hit the playoffs, we can allow lineup changing for the teams that make it through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Krysmphoenix posted:

I think for now lineups should be left alone for now, since it would unbalance the season. Maybe once we hit the playoffs, we can allow lineup changing for the teams that make it through.

Probably the case. Generally, we don't like to change rules midstream without a truly compelling reason.

It just interested me to see just how badly things happened for your fighter.

Also, Spermy Smurf, make sure you see your PMs.