Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

RescueFreak posted:

Refund Update

CIG gave me a refund for the current value of my hangar minus the AMD promo ship, but nothing for the VD purchases or subscription time. Account is closed.

Wait a few days, nothing shows up in bank account. Contact Stripe support, they say the refund should have been instant.

Contact my bank, they don't show anything coming in. Chargeback proceeding.

gently caress you, Karl.

Chargeback for the VD purchases as well. gently caress them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The official forums are changing.
Complaint threads have posters in support, the thread where people post their fleet have people mocking others, people bringing up issues in multiple threads.
This is interesting to me.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Chargeback for the VD purchases as well. gently caress them.

agreed

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DreadLlama posted:

Octopode, I just finished some important paperwork and I am in a good mood. I am going to celebrate by explaining to you how you are wrong.

Currently the established facts are that Chris Roberts of Star Citizen asked the public for two million dollars to be used to make a video game. Investors were mentioned, but no concrete dollar amount was explicitly pushed towards the public at the same time. Therefore it could be assumed that a reasonable and intelligent person with the facts available at that time would expect that 2mil+ was scope of their budget. If Bootcha's experience is representative of his typical investor (and, you have supplied no evidence to the contrary, so I'm inclined to regard him as being typical) - a local, garnered by word of mouth in for the tune of a few dozen thousand. That -extrapolated across a few international offices puts his initial budget to the low side of five million dollars - tops. Do I have to remind you how many times you have to multiply a number like 50,000 to equal 1,000,000?

Based on the incredulous nature of Chris Robert's marketing, I not inclined to believe that the $20 million figure quoted in the article was accurate.

You don't even have the basic facts of the initial funding campaign correct. The goal was specifically to raise $2M to $4M, and was explicitly stated from the day the funding campaign went live on the game's website to be in order to secure the remainder of funding from outside investors. You can easily verify this using archive.org.

There's also several older interviews and articles that coroborrate a ~$20M initial target budget, like https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/transmission/13103-New-Stretch-Goals which was ported over from their old site, or this RPS interview after $8M in funding, which states they're still going with VC investors, even well above the amount you claim was their initial budget target: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/02/20/chris-roberts-on-life-after-crowdfunding-games-vs-film/

There's literally nothing to support your claim of a $2M target budget.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

The official forums are changing.
Complaint threads have posters in support, the thread where people post their fleet have people mocking others, people bringing up issues in multiple threads.
This is interesting to me.

People are salty for the wrong reasons on there. They're mostly pissed because their sense of ownership on a number of not-yet-released jpgs has been diluted by CIG offering up another batch, and then a bunch of other backers told them to shut the gently caress up about it when they complained. So the usual stuff- it'll die down when the sale ends.

Also- I like a good curb stomp as much as any goon, but Octopode is correct- the initial plan was to use the kickstarter as "proof" to a group of anonymous investors who were planning to fund to the tune of 15-20 millo. Might have actually had a game produced if that had happened, too, and CR had to answer to someone.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Not just for breakfast anymore
The page you quoted indicates that they changed their budget in response to the increase in funding.

quote:

We are pleased to announce the next set of stretch goals for Star Citizen. When we started to build Star Citizen, the goal was to raise $2 million to prove to investors that there was a market for space sims. What we’ve realized since then is that YOU are responsible for this game and not investors. So we’re going all the way: crowd funding will raise the $21 million needed to produce a AAA space sim. These are the next stretch goals that will take us there—more will be revealed as they are achieved!

You have actually argued yourself into a worse position.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

shut up octopode

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I am now starting up my time machine and taking us into the future where the $2 million conversation has been resolved

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

I am now starting up my time machine and taking us into the future where the $2 million conversation has been resolved

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

No. I work here. I manage operations for this and integration for this, while making sure that their stuff keeps working in here.

DreadLlama posted:

The page you quoted indicates that they changed their budget in response to the increase in funding.

You have actually argued yourself into a worse position.

No, it doesn't. It indicates they changes their crowdfunding goals, not their budget. Perhaps you should learn to read before you attempt to make a point.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Cat meets wasp

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/3uhxxy/will_we_hit_100000000_this_year/

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Now you are arguing that they asked for more money but did not increase the amount of money that they were going to use on their game.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
The rare Proboscis Catte, a proud beast

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Is the Backer Community really all that better then a Publisher?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

DreadLlama posted:

Now you are arguing that they asked for more money but did not increase the amount of money that they were going to use on their game.
He's just falling back on on typical Star Cultist logic, redefine everything until you're no longer wrong.

Octopode is pretty much in the same league as Sandi, i.e full of bullshit. They've both been everywhere, done everything and know better than anyone else. At least, that's how they see it.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I'm glad that CIG has managed to avoid the pitfalls of microtransactions, paid DLCs, product placement and rushed delivery to meet arbitrary deadlines.

edit: oh wait I get it.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,
This is what it's like to be a Star Citizen backer. Can anyone think of something funny? I'm too busy cringing.

Verus
Jun 3, 2011

AUT INVENIAM VIAM AUT FACIAM

DreadLlama posted:

Okay, you need to stop. All the evidence says this:

1. The crowdfunding goal was a couple million. This was intended to draw investors to COMPLETE THE BUDGET (i.e., the original budget was much higher than a few million)

2. When the kickstarter blew up, they decided to drop the investors and only use crowdfunding. That's why the proportion of the budget that was supposed to come from crowdfunding increased, not the budget itself. It went from 10% crowdfunding/90% investors to 100% crowdfunding.

Now can we please poo poo on them for real reasons, like giving CR that much loving money in the first place? Jesus Christ.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I just wanna know if there's any money left

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Octopode posted:

No, it doesn't. It indicates they changes their crowdfunding goals, not their budget. Perhaps you should learn to read before you attempt to make a point.

How does it feel to be evangelizing the unbounded, unaccountable crowd-funding of an MLM you loving turd? God I love it when you come around, SO loving funny.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

There was a moment a few weeks back where I swear the penny dropped for Octopode. Sadly, it bounced around a little, rolled, and fell down a drain resulting in little more than a plopping noise. The result, sadly is Octopode is forever cursed to be an idiot, and is probably better to be just told to shut up.

Shut up Octopode.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Verus posted:

Okay, you need to stop. All the evidence says:

[citation needed]

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Is there any area of knowledge in which Octopode is not an expert?

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

DreadLlama posted:

[citation needed]

I don't really like defending Octopode, but you're being loving ridiculous.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Google Butt posted:

I just wanna know if there's any money left

Ben is being fed, Chris has his meth, Sandi has her wax, all is okay in accounting.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Smart claims to be on the verge of taking his claim to open court. Evidence that's going to be argued there will need to be time-stamped so that the presiding judge can accurately assess Robert's intentions throughout the crowdfunding campaign. Both "what he said" and "when he said it" are factors of consideration. It is known that Roberts retroactively changed his crowdfunding goals after his financial success. No evidence has yet been submitted to the contrary.

And if you think that a federal judge is going to go out and do your homework for you so your argument looks better:

:laffo:

edit: :cawg:

DreadLlama fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Nov 28, 2015

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

Toops posted:

How does it feel to be evangelizing the unbounded, unaccountable crowd-funding of an MLM you loving turd? God I love it when you come around, SO loving funny.

You realize that pointing out facts about something is not the same thing as defending or promoting it, right? People in this thread often have trouble telling the difference.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
Hello Octopode,

You have yet to post any evidence in support of your claim that Chris Roberts needed 20 million dollars from backers at the time of his initial crowdfunding campaign.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Please don't run Octopode off. We are running out of the crazies. No more Karl. Seraph is a rare sight. We are down to him and the fedora weirdo at this point.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005
I just completed a draft of my thesis and I am angry and I would like to harm someone's credibility in an intellectual way. I am hopped up on noopept and am itching for genuine debate. If I can't fight octopode, give me someone else. I want to argue.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

I'm not sure but I think there may be some trolling going on ITT.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

Hello Octopode,

You have yet to post any evidence in supporting your claim that Chris Roberts needed 20 million dollars from backers at the time of his crowdfunding campaign.

You wan to try and base this discussion on judicial standards of evidence, without the institutions that support such standards, like discovery and investigation, so there is no way to satisfy your evidentiary requirements to your satisfaction. However, all the available evidence DOES support my claim, and none of it supports yours.

You're being just as irrational as Karl or anyone else defending CIG's practices has ever been, so, congratulations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

DreadLlama posted:

I just completed a draft of my thesis and I am angry and I would like to harm someone's credibility in an intellectual way. I am hopped up on noopept and am itching for genuine debate. If I can't fight octopode, give me someone else. I want to argue.

Well there's always Reddit. Bring back some funny pics.

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

You had better hope your thesis advisor is lazy and doesn't read it, or you're going to be spending the next year or so trying to convince him the evidence you've researched actually does support your conclusion, despite it saying the exact opposite.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Octopode posted:

You wan to try and base this discussion on judicial standards of evidence, without the institutions that support such standards, like discovery and investigation, so there is no way to satisfy your evidentiary requirements to your satisfaction. However, all the available evidence DOES support my claim, and none of it supports yours.

You're being just as irrational as Karl or anyone else defending CIG's practices has ever been, so, congratulations.

Your resume must be more colorful than a bowl of fruit loops.

DreadLlama
Jul 15, 2005

Octopode posted:

You're an idiot and you haven't provided any supportable proof of any of your claims. You are bad at arguing and I dislike you personally.

jaegerx posted:

Well there's always Reddit. Bring back some funny pics.

gently caress it why not.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Karl come back. You're breaking the threads heart. We need you.

But seriously. Go gently caress yourself Karl

Octopode
Sep 2, 2009

DreadLlama posted:

You're an idiot and you haven't provided any supportable proof of any of your claims. You are bad at arguing and I dislike you personally.

You still haven't provided any proof of any kind for your claims that was not manufactured in your own head, you know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

When lowtax and dr smart finish their mmo we will look back on this thread and laugh.

• Locked thread