Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Guy A. Person posted:

If I test this on myself, I am a hobby gamer -> I know what I like -> I know my favorite game -> it's Dominion:

So Star Realms or something called loving Xenoshyft Onslaught?

I love how Caylus just doesn't exist in the chart. 30 different Munchkin things, though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Ryoshi posted:

Boss Monster is a great light game that you can use as a gateway to get horrible nerds to play better games.

I loving love Fluxx* too just for being an honest to god nomic in card game form.

*I do recognize that it is in no way a good game but man I love the concept enough to have some fun with it every once in a while.

Fluxx is literally a better game than Boss Monster and also comes in stupid horrible nerdbait themes (they're both terrible)

Das Doppelganger
Dec 22, 2012

Scyther posted:

Uh, apart from the spymaster, Codenames is fine with tabletalk?

Well, yes. Exactly. Since I was talking about it breaking the game, that's pretty much EXACTLY the instance I was talking about.

From the rule book:

quote:

They can debate it amongst themselves, but the spymaster must keep a straight face.

An entire section on "Keeping a straight face"

quote:

The spymaster is expected to keep a straight face. Do not reach for any card while your teammates are considering the words. When a teammate touches a word, consult the key card and cover the word with the card of the corresponding color. When a teammate chooses a word of the correct color, you should act as though it was exactly the word you meant, even if it hasn't. If you are a field operative, you should focus on the table when you are making your guesses. Do not make eye contact with the spymaster while you are guessing. This will help you avoid nonverbal cues. When your information is strictly limited to what can be conveyed with one word and one number, you are playing in the spirit of the game.

Those things are integral to the play of the game and when you have a spymaster wincing at clues or finger points it makes the game an exercise in wasting time. And yes, I'm saying I blame the people that do that, not the game. But those people find that 'fun' I guess.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Space Alert has been played with 2 new players and me. I've hosed up royally each mission because apparently I can't distinguish left from right and have developed highly specific colorblindness to the exact shades of red and blue used in the game.

Working as intended.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!

Ryoshi posted:

Boss Monster is a great light game that you can use as a gateway to get horrible nerds to play better games.

The problem with lots of gateway games is lots of people get stuck in the door.

That wasn't a fat joke, though it would have been a good one.

Aghama
Jul 24, 2002

We eat fish, tossed salads

Aghama posted:

So I ordered Hive as part of Amazon's B2G1 sale, but when I did a search for the rules I found out that there are actually 2 other versions that include 2 of the (ludicrously priced) expansions. I'm kind of annoyed, how much do the ladybug and mosquito add to the game.
Does anyone have an answer? Should I keep it or return it and get Hive Pocket?

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Das Doppelganger posted:

Those things are integral to the play of the game and when you have a spymaster wincing at clues or finger points it makes the game an exercise in wasting time. And yes, I'm saying I blame the people that do that, not the game. But those people find that 'fun' I guess.

So play co-op as the spymaster.

Banana Man
Oct 2, 2015

mm time 2 gargle piss and shit

The General posted:

I wouldn't call it bad. I'd call it bland as all gently caress with a random ending. One of the expansions fixes the ending part, but I bet it's still bland.

Have you played the newest version?

Edit: bad at reading

Banana Man fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Nov 27, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Heads up, CSI is adding more deals to their Black Friday sale each day including Pandemic Legacy for $39.99 now.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Nique posted:

Looking for a cheap, light but replayable game for up to 5 to take home to my family at Christmas. They have played coup before but i'd like something non bluffing based.

First few things that came to mind are No thanks, For Sale, and Sushi Go. Of those i've only played No thanks, and it was just the once, so not too sure which to go for (or some other option i've overlooked)

Nique posted:

Have Codenames already, but unfortunately my sister is extremely dyslexic, word games would stress her the gently caress out

Already own this, i'm just on the fence about whether playing it with drunk people would be hilarious or awful.

I was leaning towards For Sale, just a little hesitant as for some reason it is double the price of both No thanks & Sushi go and somebody in my gamer group already owns it.
Dixit is quite expensive and you probably already have it, but the small travel version Dixit Jinx is pretty fun too and quite replayable.
I've actually had more success with it than the main game, the pictures are a bit more abstract which seemed to help some people.

Another pretty obvious suggestion but on the off chance you don't have it I'd recommend Qwixx. It's a pretty simple dice game but I had a lot of fun playing it with my family.

And one more that's super popular with my friends and family is uh, I dunno we call it the Dog game but I think it's called something else in America or in English (Hello? Or Happy? I dunno I have a German version...) Language doesn't matter though, it's just Ludo but with playing cards instead of dice. It is teams though so you'd need even numbers. Does anyone else know the English name?

edit: I don't know how any of these work with drunk people, we normally go straight to drinking games. But someone recommended Pairs to me as a good drunk game and I've yet to try it out but I could pass that recommendation along.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Dixit is $22.

Laverna
Mar 21, 2013

Bottom Liner posted:

Dixit is $22.

Is it? Okay, well it was expensive when I got it.

I actually have my own question to ask too.
There's a game I really love called Anno Domini, it's really fun but it only seems to be in German. This sucks cause it's incredibly language dependant.
The premise is everybody gets cards with events from history on them and you have to place them in order of when you think they happened.
Does anyone know if there's an English version, or one in the works, or even a similar game?

Millions
Sep 13, 2007

Do you believe in heroes?

Aghama posted:

The mosquito seems like a piece you'll only use at higher level play, but I toss the ladybug in regularly. I have Pocket and have been very pleased with it.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Linko, Frank's Zoo, For Sale, No Thanks are all pretty cool chill card games

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Broken Loose posted:

what the gently caress is this chart

a list of game in stock at snakes and lattes

edit:

Guy A. Person posted:

If I test this on myself, I am a hobby gamer -> I know what I like -> I know my favorite game -> it's Dominion:

So Star Realms or something called loving Xenoshyft Onslaught?

hobby gamer -> know what i like -> favourite game -> NOT ON THIS CHART (T&E or maybe taj mahal)
hobby gamer -> know what i like -> favourite game -> (best fit) Puerto Rico -> Citadels, Mission Red Planet, Mascarade, Power Grid. Holy poo poo laziest recommendations ever (3 games same designer only thing in common role selection)
hobby gamer -> know what i like -> favourite type of game -> NOT ON THIS CHART (medium-weight euro)
hobby gamer -> know what i like -> favourite type of game -> (best fit) Area Control -> ok not bad. carcassone, 2 knizias, and revolution. 5 tribes is arguable.

best branch: someone new or only plays the classics -> do you know what they like -> favourite game -> CAH (a "classic game" like scrabbble and taboo)

PlaneGuy fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Nov 28, 2015

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
Archipelago doesn't even show up.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
There's a fun one that if a hobby gamer's favorite game is Cosmic Encounter, it recommends Battlestar Galactica or Twilight Imperium. :allears:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

As far as I can tell, Mage Knight isn't on there either.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Nor Twilight Struggle

danwon
Aug 19, 2015

Laverna posted:

I actually have my own question to ask too.
There's a game I really love called Anno Domini, it's really fun but it only seems to be in German. This sucks cause it's incredibly language dependant.
The premise is everybody gets cards with events from history on them and you have to place them in order of when you think they happened.
Does anyone know if there's an English version, or one in the works, or even a similar game?

The game you're looking for is Timeline. There's a half dozen or so stand alone expansions for it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Broken Loose posted:

where the gently caress is codenames on there??

It turns up if someone's favourite classic game is Guess Who :allears:

Meowgles
Oct 2, 2013
So I'm in a bit of a pickle here..I am participating in a secret santa exchange and my giftee mentions a few different board games that he likes. "Agricola, Terramystica, Illuminati, XCom, Betrayal in the House on Haunted Hill, etc." verbatim from his bio. I have absolutely no knowledge of the world of board games. I know that there is probably so much I can do with this information so I come to you fellows.

I need to keep my gift fairly cheap (let's say between $20-30), and obviously related to the above games. I want to avoid buying a game or expansion pack in case the person already has it or whatever, but I'm willing to if it's pretty under budget.

Maybe there are certain characters/"loot"/paraphernalia items that I can purchase for said person? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jedit posted:

I'll continue to disagree on Xenoshyft being terrible, but I will agree that it was obsoleted in my collection by Legendary Encounters. I'm waiting on CMON to send me the sleeves missing from my pledge before I sell it on.

I mean for sure I was judging it entirely on its name, I don't know anything else about it, which is unfair.

On the other hand come on with that "y". Just spell it "-shift".

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Falling is pretty rough to learn cold from the rulebook for a 2 minute game, lol. The goal is to be the last player to hit the ground, which are cards at the bottom of a shared deck. A dealer deals cards to players around the table, and as the dealer is dealing the other players insert "rider cards" in front of themselves or other players that do things like modify how many cards are dealt or skip a deal. We're starting to figure out the nuance of it a bit more after like a dozen plays. Seems pretty fun but kind of need everyone to execute their moves cleanly or it becomes a bit obnoxious to deal. Definitely captures the spirit of falling as a group and trying not to hit the ground first (including the chaos). Needs more plays.

Spot It is pretty much a game for children but it's fun. It's like a Wario Ware mini game or something. You basically try and match symbols faster than the other players. It definitely gets you in the zone. Shouted lightning bolt three times in a row, felt good about myself.

That's my short rear end games report, fosbourne signing off

EBag
May 18, 2006

Aghama posted:

They definitely aren't necessary but nice to have I suppose. Both of them are just sort of spinoffs of bugs in the base game. I got Pocket a few months ago and have played it a bunch but haven't even tried it with them yet, there's plenty of game there even without them.

DonnyTrump
Apr 24, 2010
My favorite on that chart is favorite game = Arkham Horror --> Spyrium.

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Meowgles posted:

So I'm in a bit of a pickle here..I am participating in a secret santa exchange and my giftee mentions a few different board games that he likes. "Agricola, Terramystica, Illuminati, XCom, Betrayal in the House on Haunted Hill, etc." verbatim from his bio. I have absolutely no knowledge of the world of board games. I know that there is probably so much I can do with this information so I come to you fellows.

I need to keep my gift fairly cheap (let's say between $20-30), and obviously related to the above games. I want to avoid buying a game or expansion pack in case the person already has it or whatever, but I'm willing to if it's pretty under budget.

Maybe there are certain characters/"loot"/paraphernalia items that I can purchase for said person? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

His preferences are all over the place. Just buy him Codenames.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Oldstench posted:

Or a meeple plushie.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Too bad you can't buy him good taste.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

cenotaph posted:

Too bad you can't buy him good taste.

Weird, since agricola and (by most accounts) terra mystica are both excellent games! Illuminati was pretty funny...

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

Normies who fancy themselves gamers will try like ten different games and suddenly have opinions on which ones are the best games ever made

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

These four games which are not Monopoly or Sorry are good because they are not Monopoly or Sorry.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Meowgles posted:

I was going to recommend fancy dice, but both games in the list that use dice use non-standard dice.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Oldstench posted:

This is really the best option - not because it's the current thread darling but because it's cheap and fun and just generally a good game in the price range given.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

More people have borrowed code names from me than any other game.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I was the person to introduce my group to Codenames. Now at least 4 other people own copies.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I tried to play Codenames tonight and was so close but dumb timing by my friend messed it up and now I'm PISSED!

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.

Das Doppelganger posted:

Well, yes. Exactly. Since I was talking about it breaking the game, that's pretty much EXACTLY the instance I was talking about.

From the rule book:

An entire section on "Keeping a straight face"

Corollary: It's totally appropriate as spymaster to launch into laugh-crying hysterics at something and then continue on all the way through til morning because eventually you're just laughing at how hard you're laughing about your team loving up all your plans that you thought were bulletproof but you were just being dumb.

Meowgles
Oct 2, 2013
Okay! Sounds like I should buy Codenames then. I'm just hoping he doesn't already own it. Is it a lesser known game by chance?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Very popular but also very recent.