Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

nonentity posted:

Praise the log.

It is the gift that keeps on giving.

And FYI, the backflip glitch turns the log mount into an actual moving mount which is awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jedi posted:

Group Finder was something they were completely against for awhile.

It makes me smile to remember these little forgotten tidbits of utter incompetence.

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

After resubbing I've played my current character pretty frequently from around Belsavis/Voss and am now at chapter 3 of KotFE. From a simple design point of view it's really interesting to see one game change so much, and I like a lot of the changes.

I think a lot of the intermediate stuff as well is an interesting mix of approaches. Makeb felt like a slightly more focused narrative of the original core game, whereas Shadows of Revan felt like it was trying to be something different but was tiptoeing around the edges. After finishing Revan I'm really glad it didn't stay in that half in/half out style. KotFE feels like a whole other game which benefits from having your character established over 60 levels before. Also seems like it was the right call to do it with my SW. Don't know how it is with other classes but the whole narrative fits very naturally with that.

Tirranek fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Nov 28, 2015

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL

Jedi posted:

Group Finder was something they were completely against for awhile.

I just assumed it was some technical problem resulting from the game being rushed out, what was their reasoning for being against a pretty fundamental utility?

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Crindee posted:

I just assumed it was some technical problem resulting from the game being rushed out, what was their reasoning for being against a pretty fundamental utility?

The story they kept pushing was that having a random group finder would "remove the sense of community". Basically, that old school style of thinking where you force players to go out into the world and meet other people. Or, in this case, force players to spam various general chats until you find 3 other players of a similar level who also want to do the specific content that you want to do.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I've read that they removed the bonus series quests or something? Is that true?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Verranicus posted:

I don't think so, I still get the Bonus quests that are attached to other quests. Unless you mean the ones you would go back to a planet 10 levels later for(I haven't looked for those)

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Crindee posted:

The reason is that the lead designers were completely out of touch with modern MMO developments. There were way too many things in the game at launch that are evidence of a couple of people thinking "Wouldn't this be cool?" without thinking about the larger impact on the game, or even glancing at how other games handled those concepts. The faction-locked GTN is another good example.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Nipponophile posted:

The faction-locked GTN is another good example.

What?

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

I think it was also them thinking they could focus on the story side of things because they could copy mechanical concepts from other MMOs (WoW). Trouble is by the time it came out, those mechanics were already obsolete. A lot of those bad choices weren't originally theirs but it hurt the game to not identify them.

Bad points specific to Swtor in my mind are sometimes very unintuitive quest pacing, which lessens enjoyment of the narrative, and very static/stiff dialogue scenes. Both of these seem to be much better now.

The other dumb thing was limiting free to play so much. You shouldn't punish people for making a choice you offered to them. The good will generated from providing a complete experience would far exceed the revenue made from extra hotbars, which itself probably doesn't come anywhere near what they make from a new Nerf sofa.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

My consular's story quest is broken (Yuon Par just gives me a "Not elligible for this conversation" message when I click her) and nothing I've tried (Reset instance, relog, etc) has fixed it. Can't abandon the quest cuz it's a story mission.
Anyone run into this? Know how to fix it?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Verranicus posted:

Have you tried toggling the exploration missions options on the map? There are a lot of quests gated behind that option, maybe the bonus series are part of that?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Geniasis posted:

Have you tried toggling the exploration missions options on the map? There are a lot of quests gated behind that option, maybe the bonus series are part of that?

Frankly, as someone who even enjoys doing the exploration missions, good riddance that the bonus series is at the very least now entirely skippable. :v:

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

dmboogie posted:

Frankly, as someone who even enjoys doing the exploration missions, good riddance that the bonus series is at the very least now entirely skippable. :v:

"Thank God Balmorra is out of the way."
"Hey, you! Welcome back to Balmorra." :suicide:

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Which Jedi Consular VA do people think does the better job? I was going to make one.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Which Jedi Consular VA do people think does the better job? I was going to make one.

Lady Consular to be sure. Though Nolan Northusar has his moments.

His delivery on "Droid, your bizarre praise makes it all worthwhile." In the Gree quest is spectacular

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug

I think there were actually 3 GTNs back then - one for each faction and then a universal one on Nar Shaddaa.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aleth posted:

I think there were actually 3 GTNs back then - one for each faction and then a universal one on Nar Shaddaa.

And outlaws Den

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Aleth posted:

There were indeed. Much like WoW had an Alliance, Horde, and Neutral back in the day - so did this game.

Oh yeah, forgot to add - we had a fun night of raiding last night. Lots of people got lots of upgrades and a good time was had by all. On a personal note, I mixed up my dates so I will be here this Sunday for HM.

Jedi fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Nov 28, 2015

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Captain Oblivious posted:

Lady Consular to be sure. Though Nolan Northusar has his moments.

Went with the woman va. It seemed to be the general consensus looking around elsewhere too. It's a shame, my great love for uncharted 2 would have made me want to be Nolan, but it really does seem like he's kind of dead in many of the line reads

Jedi posted:

There were indeed. Much like WoW had an Alliance, Horde, and Neutral back in the day - so did this game.

Did Warcraft get rid of the seperate AH's? I haven't really played since Burning Crusade. I used to enjoy flying down to Gadgetztan to look at what weird things people were bothering to sell on the neutral ah.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

LibbyM posted:

Went with the woman va. It seemed to be the general consensus looking around elsewhere too. It's a shame, my great love for uncharted 2 would have made me want to be Nolan, but it really does seem like he's kind of dead in many of the line reads

North and Karkanis interpret the Consular differently, in my opinion. North plays a very restrained Jedi, extraordinarily stoic even by Jedi standards. Karkanis' reading is less outright stoic than measured and patient, allowing some emotion in her voice.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Jedi posted:

Credits are really superfluous beyond repairs. Just about all they're used for these days is playing pretty princess dress up.

Credits are also useful for endgame gearing; specifically, augments are a credit sink, and if you want a strong MH hilt/barrel you need to either raid for it or spend millions.

But that's only really necessary if you plan to do hard mode stuff, otherwise gear acquired entirely from data crystals is perfectly fine.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

North really shoulda played the consular as Stephen Heck

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Verranicus posted:

I don't know about bonus quests, but I know some of the regular quests from Korriban are gone. The one where you retrieve codes to a weapons cache from insane soldiers near Ragnos' tomb, the one where you feed the dark side mutant guy in Naga Sadow's tomb. Probably some more that I forgot about.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

When I played this game at launch, Advanced classes did this weird thing where they had 2 unique talent trees, and then a third talent tree that was the exact same tree as their other potential advanced class could have. As in, Jedi Guardian or Sentinal had the same 3rd talent tree option. That isn't still the case with the new system is it?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LibbyM posted:

When I played this game at launch, Advanced classes did this weird thing where they had 2 unique talent trees, and then a third talent tree that was the exact same tree as their other potential advanced class could have. As in, Jedi Guardian or Sentinal had the same 3rd talent tree option. That isn't still the case with the new system is it?

There are similar trees but they are no longer identical, no.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

the_steve posted:

I don't know about bonus quests, but I know some of the regular quests from Korriban are gone. The one where you retrieve codes to a weapons cache from insane soldiers near Ragnos' tomb, the one where you feed the dark side mutant guy in Naga Sadow's tomb. Probably some more that I forgot about.

The mutant in Naga Sadows tomb quest is still there.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

StashAugustine posted:

North really shoulda played the consular as Stephen Heck

He should've been the smuggler, and Hayter should've been the trooper

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Captain Oblivious posted:

The mutant in Naga Sadows tomb quest is still there.

It is? It never showed up for me. I saw the guy, but he just kept telling me to keep on walking. Never got a quest flag.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

LibbyM posted:

Did Warcraft get rid of the seperate AH's? I haven't really played since Burning Crusade. I used to enjoy flying down to Gadgetztan to look at what weird things people were bothering to sell on the neutral ah.

They linked all the AHs together in WoD,

I finished the KOTFE story chapters a few days ago. I enjoyed the experience and like that I have something to progress my character that isn't raiding.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the_steve posted:

It is? It never showed up for me. I saw the guy, but he just kept telling me to keep on walking. Never got a quest flag.

There is a checkbox on your map(upper right corner) that turns all those quests back on, apparently.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I put on exploration quests for the hell of it questing through tython right now. Some of it feels very arbitrary.
Quest with a little bit of story to find guys dead father, is directly on the path of the other quests and is easy to grab on the way. Quest get's handed back in at a city you have to return to anyway. Gives a lightside/darkside choice even. This quest is marked as an exploration quest and normally hidden.
Another quest that takes you out of the way up this path that exists only for this one quest, that has no interesting story payoff at all, is still shown as a regular quest that doesn't get hidden.

I kind of wish there were tiers of exploration quest to turn on/off. I'd still like to do the ones like going to find that guys dead father, but still disable the ones like those fight against droids outside the jedi temple that repeats like 5 times.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

LibbyM posted:

I put on exploration quests for the hell of it questing through tython right now. Some of it feels very arbitrary.
Quest with a little bit of story to find guys dead father, is directly on the path of the other quests and is easy to grab on the way. Quest get's handed back in at a city you have to return to anyway. Gives a lightside/darkside choice even. This quest is marked as an exploration quest and normally hidden.
Another quest that takes you out of the way up this path that exists only for this one quest, that has no interesting story payoff at all, is still shown as a regular quest that doesn't get hidden.

I kind of wish there were tiers of exploration quest to turn on/off. I'd still like to do the ones like going to find that guys dead father, but still disable the ones like those fight against droids outside the jedi temple that repeats like 5 times.

There's no real way to differentiate what some people find "boring" though. I actually enjoyed the Jedi training droids the first time, as it was one of the first times I got to practice my Jedi Skillz. :)

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I like doing all of the quests, even if they don't have major story payoffs it's neat to see how the different NPCs treat you based on class/race.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Medullah posted:

There's no real way to differentiate what some people find "boring" though. I actually enjoyed the Jedi training droids the first time, as it was one of the first times I got to practice my Jedi Skillz. :)

That's fair enough, but I think differentiating quests with basically no story is a doable thing, not one that would be based on personal opinion.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

the_steve posted:

Most quests on Korriban are gated by main story progress and I think that one in particular, paradoxically, only unlocks after completing the main story quest in Naga Sadows tomb. I say that because when I was trying to 100% Korriban I was missing the species codex entry from that quest and was utterly puzzled at how I could have possibly missed him on my first time through the tomb given that he's on the main path

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Verranicus posted:

I like doing all of the quests, even if they don't have major story payoffs it's neat to see how the different NPCs treat you based on class/race.

Race is usually pretty simplistic. Most race-based dialogue is straightforward human (human, cyborg, or sith pureblood) or alien (any other race). There are only a few instances where your individual race comes up - pureblood Sith classes occasionally, miraluka Jedi get a few unique dialogue options, and chiss Agents get a fair amount of special dialogue.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Medullah posted:

That was actually the first time I died in the game. I then came back with T7 and stomped everything.

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

Can't wait to vendor the hilt of the first lightsaber ever made to some random guy in the republic fleet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

LibbyM posted:

Can't wait to vendor the hilt of the first lightsaber ever made to some random guy in the republic fleet.

I'm a huge role playing nerd so I insisted on keeping it for that exact reason :shobon:

• Locked thread