Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Returned my 6P last week for a $150 DailySteals Nexus 5. Cricket $45/mo. :whatup:

Battery hasn't been bad. Miss the fingerprint sensor, though. That deal on the 5X is impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Returned my 6P last week for a $150 DailySteals Nexus 5. Cricket $45/mo. :whatup:

Am I missing something, why would you swap a 6P for a 5, it's worse in literally every way and 2 years older......

e: oh, you edited, did you mean 5X?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

CLAM DOWN posted:

Am I missing something, why would you swap a 6P for a 5, it's worse in literally every way and 2 years older......

It was too big and heavy to lug around all day imo. I'm just going to use this as an interim phone until next year.

^^^ No, the 5. I'm being cheap

edit: also keep in mind I'm coming from a shattered screen Maxx whose camera worked <50% of the time

TenaciousTomato fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 27, 2015

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Don't forget Hitler's contributions to medicine.

TenaciousTomato posted:

It was too big and heavy to lug around all day imo.

I said that about my LG G3 coming from an iPhone 5, I was sure I was just going to sell it (It was a free LG promotion thing) and then within a few days I didn't notice. Then when I was trying to decide between the G6 and the G6 Edge+ I decided to go with an even slightly larger phone because I didn't want to go backwards in screen size, then for the first day I thought the phone was too big and I could use it one handed and now day two and it's fine. I mean maybe slightly more awkward to use one handed but not terrible.

Oh, and I don't have huge mitts.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 27, 2015

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Though to be fair, the Nexus 5 is still a better phone than the Moto G if he wants to go the cheap route.

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
Woo hoo, I got myself a x pure in the end,pretty happy with my purchase so far. It's pretty comfortable to hold!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Three Olives posted:

I said that about my LG G3 coming from an iPhone 5, I was sure I was just going to sell it (It was a free LG promotion thing) and then within a few days I didn't notice. Then when I was trying to decide between the G6 and the G6 Edge+ I decided to go with an even slightly larger phone because I didn't want to go backwards in screen size, then for the first day I thought the phone was too big and I could use it one handed and now day two and it's fine. I mean maybe slightly more awkward to use one handed but not terrible.

Oh, and I don't have huge mitts.

It's almost as if people are different.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Three Olives posted:

Oh hey, the phones are back online at Best Buy, just picked one up for working out now that I have an absurdly expensive S6 Edge+.

Nice! Yeah, 4 phones from my orders shipped. Still waiting on the last 2 for confirmation, heh.

TenaciousTomato posted:

I pay roughly $55-60 a month for myself, and my mom and dad's phones. Ting is pretty great :smug:

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

It's almost as if people are different.

That wasn't my point, my point is that just getting used to a phone can make a huge difference in usability.

teagone posted:

Nice! Yeah, 4 phones from my orders shipped. Still waiting on the last 2 for confirmation, heh.

Mine get it buy 12/09. It's sold out again, I wish I had picked up a couple of more but eh, one will be fine.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
My wife was on day 15 for her N5x and got her return process started while jumping on the deal this morning. Also opened a purchase protection case study amex in hopes I can get some price matching for mine purchased in late October.

Maybe I'll make money today.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

ilkhan posted:

How is that a bad thing?

I figured since the app would close/get out of notification area since it would know it's not being used anymore. Kind of like how I can set it to start playing music when it detects it's in the car.

It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

Other than that, I have zero issues with car and phone Bluetooth working together.

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Nov 27, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Doctor Butts posted:

I figured since the app would close/get out of notification area since it would know it's not being used anymore. Kind of like how I can set it to start playing music when it detects it's in the car.

It's not a huge deal, just annoying.

Other than that, I have zero issues with car and phone Bluetooth working together.
Play/pause is usually done on the car side, your source app still needs to be open when you get into the car, and thus it also just hits pause when you disconnect.

Id be super pissed if turning off the car closed my music app.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Hi. I have a nexus 5.

Is a 5x worth getting? I know the 6p has superior hardware but I like the size of the 5x and not 6p.

This thread is a zillion pages long and all I've seen in the last few pages is bluetooth chat so someone please tell me if the 5x is worth the current black friday deals.

And OP is out of date/spec

TheReverend fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Nov 27, 2015

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheReverend posted:

Hi. I have a nexus 5.

Is a 5x worth getting? I know the 6p has superior hardware but I like the size of the 5x and not 6p.

This thread is a zillion pages long and all I've seen in the last few pages is bluetooth chat so someone please tell me if the 5x is worth the current black friday deals.

Aside from the SoC and battery and camera screen quality and CDMA and type-C and fingerprint reader the 5X isn't much of an upgrade.
It's on sale at 300 though, so if you want to upgrade do it now.

Still 16GB, still 2GB, still single speaker, same resolution...

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Yeah well I just found out my wife needs a fi-account too so I'll probably wait until later or something.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I'm trying to move a few files around my phone (using Windows Explorer) and it just hangs with the message "Waiting: MotoG3 is busy."

Why is it always busy? How do I stop it from being busy? Hitting the phone against my desk did not work.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

TheReverend posted:

Hi. I have a nexus 5.

I went from a 5 to a 5X and for me, it's better where it matters. Much better camera, better battery life, more LTE bands to make it a world phone and the fingerprint scanner has improved my phone experience.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mak0rz posted:

I'm trying to move a few files around my phone (using Windows Explorer) and it just hangs with the message "Waiting: MotoG3 is busy."

Why is it always busy? How do I stop it from being busy? Hitting the phone against my desk did not work.

Windows drivers are a pain. Use Airdroid to upload and download files, it's way easier.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Alan_Shore posted:

Windows drivers are a pain. Use Airdroid to upload and download files, it's way easier.

I don't see how anything could be "way easier" than just plugging the phone in and using it like any old media device like I did with my previous one :shrug:

I guess I'll just use Airdroid. Thanks.

E: Looks like Airdroid can't do what I want (move things from one folder to another) without a Premium account so it was actually less effort to copy things to my computer, delete the originals, and re-copy them back into the desired folder on the device. Wow thanks Windows and/or Android!!

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Nov 28, 2015

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

Hey so uh I didn't know Google actually did Black Friday sales so I bought a Nexus 5x earlier in the week. It was supposed to arrive today but the Fedex site says there was nobody home to pick it up today when I was here earlier (???) and won't be re-delivered until Monday. Is there any way for me to get in on the $80 off deal or did I miss my shot by ordering too early?

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...

Mak0rz posted:

I don't see how anything could be "way easier" than just plugging the phone in and using it like any old media device like I did with my previous one :shrug:

I guess I'll just use Airdroid. Thanks.

E: Looks like Airdroid can't do what I want (move things from one folder to another) without a Premium account so it was actually less effort to copy things to my computer, delete the originals, and re-copy them back into the desired folder on the device. Wow thanks Windows and/or Android!!

Are you just trying to move files around locally? That's what File Explorers are for, like Fx. You don't need your computer for that. AirDroid is for moving files phone<->computer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

DemonMage posted:

Are you just trying to move files around locally? That's what File Explorers are for, like Fx. You don't need your computer for that. AirDroid is for moving files phone<->computer.

Good to know. I still was able to do it without issue on my previous phone, though...

Thanks for the tip.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Mak0rz posted:

Good to know. I still was able to do it without issue on my previous phone, though...

Thanks for the tip.

Why are you moving files around on your phone? What corner case are you encountering?

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

ElegantFugue posted:

Hey so uh I didn't know Google actually did Black Friday sales so I bought a Nexus 5x earlier in the week. It was supposed to arrive today but the Fedex site says there was nobody home to pick it up today when I was here earlier (???) and won't be re-delivered until Monday. Is there any way for me to get in on the $80 off deal or did I miss my shot by ordering too early?
Google gives you 15 days to test drive the phone and then return it for a full refund. I did it with the 6P, and since I'm still in the return window I'm doing it with my 5X because of the deal that came up yesterday. I'll end up saving $110 when all is said and done :woop:

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

I was actually tempted to get the Nexus 5X for $350 but I can't justify upgrading it from the Z3. Thing still runs like a champ.

And it seems the Motorola isn't going to do sales on 3rd gen Moto G for Cyber Monday. Boo!

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I've been getting contradictory stories from articles regarding getting quick charging to work on a Nexus 6P, so I figured I'd ask this thread instead:

1. Aside from the official Google charger (that I can't buy as it's not available in my country), what other fast chargers are confirmed to work with the 6P?
2. If such a charger exists, will it work using any standard USB-A to USB-C cable? If not, what cables will it work with?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

LastInLine posted:

Why are you moving files around on your phone? What corner case are you encountering?

I just accidentally placed some custom sounds in the "Ringtones" directory and wanted to move them to "Notifications" where they belong. Seems Android is picky about where sounds are stored.

I always end up doing exactly that every time I wipe or get a new phone because I'm dumb.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

OK day three with the Edge+ and one thing that I never saw mentioned in reviews of why to buy the edge besides asthetics...

Scrolling is amazing with a edge display, you just slide down the curved side, it feels amazingly natural.

Three Olives fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 28, 2015

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

anakha posted:

I've been getting contradictory stories from articles regarding getting quick charging to work on a Nexus 6P, so I figured I'd ask this thread instead:

1. Aside from the official Google charger (that I can't buy as it's not available in my country), what other fast chargers are confirmed to work with the 6P?
2. If such a charger exists, will it work using any standard USB-A to USB-C cable? If not, what cables will it work with?

As far as I know the quickest way to charge is having a 3A charger with a USB C to USB C cable. USB A to C shouldn't allow you to charge at 3 amps since that is out of spec. Some cables do though and can potentially smoke your older charger that's not capable of supplying 3A.

That's what I got out of the whole USB A to C "cable gate"

Problem is there aren't any 3A USB C chargers apart from the ones in the Google store. I think Anker is planning on releasing a charger with 3 USB A and one USB C ports but it's still "coming soon" last time I checked.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Do we have a list of C->A cables that meet the spec? I want to pick up a few and the one I got early on doesn't meet it. Google doesn't seem to have theirs on sale today but $13 doesn't seem too bad I suppose.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Do we have a list of C->A cables that meet the spec? I want to pick up a few and the one I got early on doesn't meet it. Google doesn't seem to have theirs on sale today but $13 doesn't seem too bad I suppose.

The ones this Google engineer rates highly: http://www.amazon.com/gp/pdp/profile/A25GROL6KJV3QG/

bronin posted:

Problem is there aren't any 3A USB C chargers apart from the ones in the Google store. I think Anker is planning on releasing a charger with 3 USB A and one USB C ports but it's still "coming soon" last time I checked.

There's at least a 3A USB-C car charger with the Benson Leung seal of approval now: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B014F2NQ36/

Haven't seen any wall chargers or external batteries yet though.

repiv fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Nov 28, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Awesome, thanks! Picked up a bunch at $10. Much appreciated.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
So I got a Nexus 6P yesterday and chrome crashes every time I try to open it, either directly or through a link via a Google search. It still works on my nexus 7 so is this a 6P thing or what?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

It's smaller and lighter. It still runs the latest version of the OS. When I get home, I plug my 6P in and use my 5 for texting and calling and my 7 if I want a bigger screen to read or something. The 6P too big to do phone stuff but still not big enough to do tablet stuff. I can set my 5 down on my Tylt when not using it and can just pick it up without having to mess with a cable.
I'm keeping the 6P for 5 reasons:
  • The camera is really good
  • The fingerprint scanner is nice to have
  • It will get updates first
  • I can sell it/give it away in a year
  • I hate returning things

Centzon Totochtin posted:

So I got a Nexus 6P yesterday and chrome crashes every time I try to open it, either directly or through a link via a Google search. It still works on my nexus 7 so is this a 6P thing or what?
Works fine for me. Maybe there's an update?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Play store says it's up to date though

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Have you tried turning it off and on again?

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Have you tried clearing Chromes data?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

It's smaller and lighter. It still runs the latest version of the OS. When I get home, I plug my 6P in and use my 5 for texting and calling and my 7 if I want a bigger screen to read or something. The 6P too big to do phone stuff but still not big enough to do tablet stuff. I can set my 5 down on my Tylt when not using it and can just pick it up without having to mess with a cable.
I'm keeping the 6P for 5 reasons:
  • The camera is really good
  • The fingerprint scanner is nice to have
  • It will get updates first
  • I can sell it/give it away in a year
  • I hate returning things

Works fine for me. Maybe there's an update?

Pretty sure you're an edge case to be swapping between two phones like that, that's not normal.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

CLAM DOWN posted:

Pretty sure you're an edge case to be swapping between two phones like that, that's not normal.
It's not like I'm swapping out SIMs twice a day. I use Google Voice so the 5 can do phone stuff on WiFi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

butt dickus posted:

It's not like I'm swapping out SIMs twice a day. I use Google Voice so the 5 can do phone stuff on WiFi.

Oh ok, there's no Google Voice here so you'd have to swap sims to do what you do, that makes more sense.