Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metos
Nov 25, 2005

Sup Ladies

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is more of a general Star Wars question but how did Boba Fett come to be seen as a badass when he got killed by Han as part of a comedy gag accident?
Probably the empire strikes back scene where they're on the star destroyer bridge and he's barely taking Vader's poo poo about no disintegrations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think it's a combo of badass attitude, cool costume, and gravelly radio voice.

Remember when the prequels came out and Lucasfilm kept claiming how cool Aurra Sing was, and how she would become the new Boba Fett and everyone would love her? And then she completely disappeared and we got Zam Wessel the next time they needed a bounty hunter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I think it's a combo of badass attitude, cool costume, and gravelly radio voice.

Remember when the prequels came out and Lucasfilm kept claiming how cool Aurra Sing was, and how she would become the new Boba Fett and everyone would love her? And then she completely disappeared and we got Zam Wessel the next time they needed a bounty hunter.
I thankfully don't remember either of those names from the prequels. I'd like to think it means I am on the path to recovery.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Samurai Sanders posted:

I thankfully don't remember either of those names from the prequels. I'd like to think it means I am on the path to recovery.

Can you be my sponsor? I'm a Friend of George L.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

I actually re-watched the mr.plinkett reviews recently. I'm mostly just disappointed in the prequels anymore, and how hard they hosed up even the poo poo story they had.

Boba was cool because of Empire Strikes Back. He specifically gets called out by Vader, he's got his own ship, and he actually hunts them down. Sure in Jedi they offed him in a stupid way, but they also have ewoks and poo poo in jedi.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Adam Bowen posted:

I have a CPU older than yours and a good graphics card (970) and it runs really well. I have no idea why someone would say you should buy it on the PS4 instead unless maybe they really like playing games with baby console controllers and don't want to do so while playing against grownups using kb+m controls
Hmm. I guess could buy a Win 7 copy and install that, then. I've got an inferior graphics card, though... a Sapphire R7 260X. Maaaaaay be sufficient, but probably not.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
yub nub

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

a helpful bear posted:

Where can I get this for $45? Or did I miss the boat now that it's technically no longer Black Friday on the east coast?

It was a flash deal on GMG for the day. Now, the Mexican VPN trick is the only way for $40 or even Brazilian VPN (if you know what you're doing), to knock it down to $35 or so.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Nov 28, 2015

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Oppa gungan style!

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I have questions that are broad and probably a little bit dumb, but I don't follow video games and you don't get without asking:

Is it worth paying £40+ for this game if you're only going to play the split-screen mode? Is there really no offline single-player mode?

I'm only asking because my brother has asked for it for Christmas and people seem quite annoyed about it. Thanks in advance guys.

Atlas Moth
Jan 13, 2012

Eternally nonplussed.
Goddamn, the LMG with Explosive Shot is the most ridiculous devastating loadout I've tried so far

AlmightyPants
Mar 14, 2001

King of Scheduling
Pillbug
I appreciate all the input - I think I'm gonna wait another month for the christmas sales before I dive in. I'm guessing it will be on sale for the same price or less and I'll actually have time to play it. Looking forward to it!

Moose King
Nov 5, 2009

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I have questions that are broad and probably a little bit dumb, but I don't follow video games and you don't get without asking:

Is it worth paying £40+ for this game if you're only going to play the split-screen mode? Is there really no offline single-player mode?

I'm only asking because my brother has asked for it for Christmas and people seem quite annoyed about it. Thanks in advance guys.

Do not buy this game if you aren't going to play the online multiplayer. There is single player, but it's only like four horde mode maps and some tutorial missions. The entire game is pretty light on content as it is, paying full price for only the single player is insanity.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Hedgehog Pie posted:

There's no singleplayer apart from a few side modes. You can play those offline, but speaking as someone who loves this game, it's not enough to justify a purchase for that alone. Hell, half the internet is calling the full game a ripoff for $60 because... well, internet.

An old GameCube and a copy of Rogue Leader 3 (which included all of Rogue Leader in splitscreen co-op) would actually be a better choice, and that game still looks amazing today. Battlefront requires an internet connection and online play to justify it.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Evil_Greven posted:

Yeah, this system is 6 1/2 years old now... running an i7 920 on whatever the gently caress MB this is... it's lasted longer than any other I've had. I've added a 140mm fan, upped the memory to the MB's max (a whole 12GB of DDR3) as well as the graphics card and PSU (only once each), but it's been drat solid. It really doesn't look like things have improved substantially, since. I should probably get an SSD, they're pretty cheap these days.

On the other hand, it's looking like getting this on the PC isn't the best idea. Last shooter I played on a console was PS2 era...

I've seen the recommendation is to play Battlefront on the PS4 if you're going to bother with it. Plus, the player numbers appear to be far higher on that platform.

gonna be honest, PC is the way to go if your PC can play it. If you already have a PS4 then yeah go for that, but the community on PC is fine.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011
Force Choked Han Solo to death. Game owns.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
I just got two trophies for beating the Hoth survival mission on master difficulty. One of them was for not dying. Annoyingly, the challenge to beat it on hard without dying didn't stack with this. Boo.

Also, the trophy for having the top score in Blast is glitched. You actually need to have the top score AND have the time count down to zero, which isn't going to happen in a full game as the kill count will max out before the timer does.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Not in the interest of raging but until a few patches come out to even things out at least. What have you found to be the best ways to level up? Usually I just play Blast or Walker Assault.

Currently at Level 9 with 5 hours in on PC. Not sure if I'm that sucking that much or just being impatient however, most matches seem to have no teamwork along with a disparity between levels vs power.

TBH, setting up a mumble server on a VPS has been the best thing so far. My friends and I can at least coordinate.

deported to Canada
Jun 1, 2006

If you are running with other people I'd recommend drop zone, get lots of pod caps, kills and wins and you can rank up pretty quick. Cargo is good too, you get 2000xp just for participating which you only get for walker assault otherwise.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Parkingtigers posted:

I just got two trophies for beating the Hoth survival mission on master difficulty. One of them was for not dying. Annoyingly, the challenge to beat it on hard without dying didn't stack with this. Boo.

Survival on Hard and not dying? Ok listen to me, answer this question: you're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you... You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why you're not helping Parkingtigers?

:colbert:

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

EconOutlines posted:

Not in the interest of raging but until a few patches come out to even things out at least. What have you found to be the best ways to level up? Usually I just play Blast or Walker Assault.

Currently at Level 9 with 5 hours in on PC. Not sure if I'm that sucking that much or just being impatient however, most matches seem to have no teamwork along with a disparity between levels vs power.

TBH, setting up a mumble server on a VPS has been the best thing so far. My friends and I can at least coordinate.

The biggest thing you're missing is basically traits at 15. I'd recommend going with bodyguard, as you always get 30% explosives resistance. Not only will homing shot now not kill you (and impacts at level 2 trait I think), but a lot of incidental deaths to grenades or other types of explosive damage goes down.

The t21, ee-3, or se-14c are the 3 guns I'd recommend unlocking and playing with. T21 is good for longer distance fuckery and is especially nice on poo poo like hoth. The ee-3 is more of a mid range gun that can transition into close quarters, while the se-14c is close quarters but you could try to finish a distant target off still.

Like someone said fighter squad is pretty good, but another option if people are willing is to just take over the skies in walker assault. Between killing people who challenge you and doing strafing runs, you can rack up a pretty impressive score even without killing boatloads of people. Some of the smaller game types can be giving a nice per-map bonus even if they don't give as much raw score. I personally just ran a lot of walker assault, and played for objectives. Especially indoor areas, it can be pretty easy to rack up a solid kill count with those objectives on either side.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

This is more of a general Star Wars question but how did Boba Fett come to be seen as a badass when he got killed by Han as part of a comedy gag accident?

He didn't die

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Holy moly does this game need a balance pass.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Tide posted:

One sentence review.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Tide posted:

Hell, just basic numeric balancing of players per side each round and auto-switching players when one side is destroying the other would make a huge difference. Those have been standard multiplayer features in most games for a decade or so.

cerebral
Oct 24, 2002

I went from really liking this game for the first week or so to really hating it over the last couple of days. I'm not sure if a free hack was released, or what, but I am running into blatant cheaters much more frequently. That, coupled with people exploiting the 99 charge glitch, has made finding a decent game the exception rather than the rule. I hope they release a patch soon, and the anti-cheat gets updated and starts doing some good (lol, never).

I'm pretty sure this has happened with every FPS that I've ever played on the PC, but it never stops being annoying. It also feels a little more obnoxious in this game because of the lack of a server browser and vote kicking. If you run into a cheater in one of the less populated game modes like Droid Run, you might as well write off playing it for awhile.

Kali11324
Dec 8, 2004

This space intentionally left blank
I have been googling this but I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the maps with the locations of the power ups? I am specifically looking to know where the hero and vehicle ones are.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So is this worth the money?

Gibberish
Sep 17, 2002

by R. Guyovich
Holy poo poo $120 are you serious

For a game with no single player mode at all, just 8 40 player maps

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

EconOutlines posted:

Fighter Squadron works for me. The matches are quick and you don't have to deal with invincibility bugs / gltiched cards / etc, just fly around and shoot poo poo. Zone out for a full map rotation and you'll have plenty of credits to unlock new poo poo and have probably jump at least 1 level.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

To be fair the people that use the power-up cards probably have enough credits that they can actually afford to use up 15 charges a map without really changing how many credits they have around. As for actual cheaters, I've only seen a couple and I've played a lot more than you have.

Also they changed hero powerups from static spawn to replacing one of the normal ones. Vehicles are still set spawns though.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

ZypherIM posted:

To be fair the people that use the power-up cards probably have enough credits that they can actually afford to use up 15 charges a map without really changing how many credits they have around. As for actual cheaters, I've only seen a couple and I've played a lot more than you have.

Me and a couple other goons actually saw someone get banned in-game a couple hours ago.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Kali11324 posted:

I have been googling this but I can't find it. Does anyone know where I can find pictures of the maps with the locations of the power ups? I am specifically looking to know where the hero and vehicle ones are.

I had assumed they were at least semi-randomly placed. Is this not the case?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Pork Pie Hat posted:

I had assumed they were at least semi-randomly placed. Is this not the case?

Vehicles are in set positions, hero cards rotate.

Edit: Also I'm starting to see complete dominance by rebels on walker assault. In my last few rotations I don't think the imps won once.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Edit: Also I'm starting to see complete dominance by rebels on walker assault. In my last few rotations I don't think the imps won once.

I started to play Supremacy exclusively now because Walker Assault is so imbalanced.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Yorkshire Tea posted:

I did not know that, thanks.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
Played some Fighter Squadron last night as after work I was too tired for anything more. Had a challenge to get 15 (player) kills in an X-Wing so thought I'd work on that. Took me longer than it should as if I saw the Falcon pickup I had to take it, plus I still want to unlock the Falcon in Base Command. Four times in the Falcon I rammed and destroyed Slave 1. I felt like an utter scoundrel for doing this, but ehhhhhhh. Twice I got him by slowly running into the ship from behind while he tailed the transport, and once he ran head-on at me in a game of chicken I literally could not lose.

I don't normally exploit MP glitches, I'm usually not "that guy", but just this once it was irresistible. Sorry.

froody guy posted:

Survival on Hard and not dying? Ok listen to me, answer this question: you're in a desert, walking along in the sand when all of a sudden you look down and see a tortoise. It's crawling toward you... You reach down and flip the tortoise over on its back. The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over. But it can't. Not with out your help. But you're not helping. Why you're not helping Parkingtigers?

:colbert:

Ah, sorry. Thought it was a commonly known tactic as I picked it up from this thread myself.

How to beat one (1) survival on master: choose Hoth, it's the easiest. Directly facing the main external doors there's a little square room with only one exit looking out down the hangar bay. This is where you fight from. Previously I'd holed up in here with another goon in co-op on hard mode. The trick is to get a blaster cannon powerup from the first pod. Whatever else you pick up, hit square (or your platform's interact button) to swap it for another one. I was lucky and got a blaster cannon on that first pod, if you don't get one you'll probably want to restart.

Deploy the blaster cannon at the back of that safe room, looking out towards the hangar doors, then use it to murder everything including the AT-STs. Even once the shield was knocked down the gun itself seemed to provide decent cover as the AI doesn't seem to go for headshots.

This got me the "under 35 minutes on master" trophy and the "don't die on master" trophy. It didn't count for playing on hard and not spending a life as that challenge doesn't stack it seems, annoyingly.

Master survival mode on the other maps is a lot tougher, but you can use all the toys and extra lives there if you're just going for stars.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
On one hand, Star Wars. On the other, EA.

For $35 maybe. Can't you get banned for using the VPN thing? I think last time i tried that my bank froze the transaction.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Parkingtigers posted:

I don't normally exploit MP glitches, I'm usually not "that guy", but just this once it was irresistible. Sorry.

I don't think it's a glitch, just plain old fashion retarded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZombyDog
Jul 11, 2001

Ere to fix yer gubbinz
Dear Dice.
I would just like to play a match of Supremacy or at least another game mode apart from Walker Assault, preferably on a server that is roughly in the same geographical location. When I spend 20+ minutes joining then leaving then rejoining the same near empty Supremacy lobby in the hopes of getting in on a game before quitting in frustration, I think about how I'd love to have a list of servers so that if there just happens to be a dozen full Supremacy matches at least maybe I can join in a queue in the knowledge I'll get a chance of getting a game on, rather than either settling for another Walker assault match or simply just quitting out to play something else entirely.

• Locked thread