Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Aphrodite posted:

If Rogue touches Nightcrawler, does she turn blue and demon-ey?
Yes

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

Medullah posted:

No, because she only absorbs mutant powers, not demon DNA.

Say what again?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Haha that's funny. I was more just making fun of the Nightcrawler is a demon story.

Comics sometimes have continuity gaps

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Ah the strapless number that Kurt was so fond of at that point.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Senor Candle posted:

The Leech thing is only a problem because he will never age. If he was an adult he could make a killing providing that service.

This proves that aging exists because of some ancient mutant stealing life energy from everything on Earth to remain immortal.

im a scientist now

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

And the name of that supremely-powerful, Juggernaut-stomping pink Sentinel was Nimrod. :newlol::newlol::newlol:

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Hey now, "nimrod" only came to be an insult because of Bugs Bunny's sarcasm.

As for the other pink Sentinels, Motherfucker and Poops, thereby hangs a tale:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nimrod was named after the Biblical character who was a mighty hunter. Using it derogatorily is a 20th-century invention (pre-X-Men, granted).

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Squizzle posted:

Hey now, "nimrod" only came to be an insult because of Bugs Bunny's sarcasm.

As for the other pink Sentinels, Motherfucker and Poops, thereby hangs a tale:

Endless Mike posted:

Nimrod was named after the Biblical character who was a mighty hunter. Using it derogatorily is a 20th-century invention (pre-X-Men, granted).

Yeah specifically the origin of the insult is that Bugs Bunny sarcastically called Elmer Fudd Nimrod because yeah that dude is a great hunter :rolleyes: but people who weren't familiar with the reference just assumed it was an insult.

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 25, 2015

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Endless Mike posted:

Nimrod was named after the Biblical character who was a mighty hunter.

I am fully aware of this, as I read every word in those comics, and you know Claremont wouldn't let something like that go unexplained. :colbert:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Squizzle posted:

This proves that aging exists because of some ancient mutant stealing life energy from everything on Earth to remain immortal.

im a scientist now
That would actually be a pretty goddamn neat twist.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

Yeah specifically the origin of the insult is that Bugs Bunny sarcastically called Elmer Fudd Nimrod because yeah that dude is a great hunter :rolleyes: but people who weren't familiar with the reference just assumed it was an insult.

Yeah but also that was already the case when Nimrod was created.

Edit: Oh the other guy said that too.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
Uh-oh. Somebody on a different message board might disagree: http://message.snopes.com/showthread.php?t=87529

The OED lists the first cite by Ben Hecht in 1933. Bugs Bunny did not exist at that time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED
1933 B. Hecht & G. Fowler Great Magoo iii. i. 183 He's in love with her. That makes about the tenth. The same old Nimrod. Won't let her alone for a second.

However, the next cite is not until 1963, after Bugs (and the cartoon when he used it). It's possible that Hecht's use was a nonce usage; certainly it's unclear from the quote that meaning is "idiot." And many more people would have been familiar with Bugs using it than Ben Hecht.

prefect fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Nov 25, 2015

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Seems like that example is referring to him as a hunter of women. It's like if people only knew Sherlock Holmes from people saying "No poo poo, Sherlock."

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wikipedia claims Bugs popularized it, which is probably not terribly inaccurate.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Die Laughing posted:

Seems like that example is referring to him as a hunter of women. It's like if people only knew Sherlock Holmes from people saying "No poo poo, Sherlock."
Yeah, the context there is pretty clearly that the guy being referred to is hunting the woman relentlessly, as he "won't let her alone for a second". He's being mildly insulted, but the insult is very much "there he goes haring off after another woman", not "what an idiot".

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, the context there is pretty clearly that the guy being referred to is hunting the woman relentlessly, as he "won't let her alone for a second". He's being mildly insulted, but the insult is very much "there he goes haring off after another woman", not "what an idiot".

"Pepe le Pew" would probably be more appropriate than "Nimrod". :D

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Not in 1933, though.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Aphrodite posted:

She has before.

E: Beaten like Xavier by his stepdad.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Rhyno posted:

Say what again?

So...er....does she absorb Nightcrawler's clothes too?

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature
I remember reading an X-Men origin story when I was a kid – it was about Jean arriving at the X-mansion and meeting Cyclops, Angel, Beast, and Ice-Man – but it's not X-Men #1. I'm aware of the more recent origin callbacks (Season One, First Class, etc.), but this thing is older, and I think it was drawn in more of an 80's or maybe 90's style. Does anyone have any idea what book that is? I think I recall the first issue ending with a Sentinel encounter.

Cyphoderus fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Nov 27, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Children of the Atom?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Cyphoderus posted:

I remember reading an X-Men origin story when I was a kid – it was about Jean arriving at the X-mansion and meeting Cyclops, Angel, Beast, and Ice-Man – but it's not X-Men #1. I'm aware of the more recent origin callbacks (Season One, First Class, etc.), but this thing is older, and I think it was drawn in more of an 80's or maybe 90's style. Does anyone have any idea what book that is? I think I recall the first issue ending with a Sentinel encounter.

Was it from that 99-cent comic line? I think all of those were set in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Xavier_and_the_X-Men

Cyphoderus
Apr 21, 2010

I'll have you know, foxes have the finest call in nature

Jack Gladney posted:

Was it from that 99-cent comic line? I think all of those were set in the past:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Professor_Xavier_and_the_X-Men

This looks like exactly what it was. Thanks a lot!

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
What's the most recent word on when Brubaker and Phillips are going to get around to the third (and I'm going to guess final) arc of Incognito?

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

I used to read a few comics when I was young but trailed off and stopped reading around 20 years ago but with all the new superhero movies and TV series and the nerds at work I've been reading a few past comics. So a couple of questions the death of Mattie Franklin seemed a bit strange to me she didn't really go down fighting or no one tried to rescue her but were moments too late, have there been any other heroes who have died in really strange way like just being knocked over while crossing the road etc..? Also she doesn't seem to have come back so is death more permanent these days?

Also I've most read Marvel, anything DC I should catch up on?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Ultragonk posted:

I used to read a few comics when I was young but trailed off and stopped reading around 20 years ago but with all the new superhero movies and TV series and the nerds at work I've been reading a few past comics. So a couple of questions the death of Mattie Franklin seemed a bit strange to me she didn't really go down fighting or no one tried to rescue her but were moments too late, have there been any other heroes who have died in really strange way like just being knocked over while crossing the road etc..? Also she doesn't seem to have come back so is death more permanent these days?

There's an infamous Green Lantern that was a squirrel who was hit by a truck.

In Injustice, Nightwing falls down and hits his head on a rock and dies.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
^^^ edit: yea, somehow I didn't see you post that

Ultragonk posted:

it's from the Injustice comic though

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Ha ha that's crazy so is he dead, dead or is he back, or too soon to tell?

Also how do they do comics these days I'm used to a very lineal issues 1, 2, 3 all the was to issue 100 or whatever, probably because of the comics I read, but apart from ones like Spider-man, X-men or avengers they seem to be much short runs and then that character doesn't come back for a while. Is that usual these days?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

He died in a comic tie-in to a fighting game where the world goes to poo poo because Superman becomes dictator of the world. He's staying dead because it is its own little thing that isn't connected to the general DC Universe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Yeah. The game mentions that Robin killed Nightwing at some point without going into details. The comic filled in the blanks.

Nightwing did come back as the new Deadman though, if that counts.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ultragonk posted:

Also how do they do comics these days I'm used to a very lineal issues 1, 2, 3 all the was to issue 100 or whatever, probably because of the comics I read, but apart from ones like Spider-man, X-men or avengers they seem to be much short runs and then that character doesn't come back for a while. Is that usual these days?

Lots of comics frequently reset to new #1's. This will usually happen if a new creative team takes over or if there is a good meta-reason to renumber (all the new #1's after the universe ending Secret Wars, Thor getting new #1's after major changes to the story's status quo, etc). New readers have an easier time starting with #1's and it's easier to sell collections (even if it can get confusing over time).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Travis343 posted:

There's an infamous Green Lantern that was a squirrel who was hit by a truck.

Green Lantern: Mosaic, where C'hp dies, is like reading a fever dream, but not really in a good way. It's interesting that C'hp's death is a continuity point that's held even into the New 52, but the actual conceit of the series (John Stewart becomes a Guardian of the Universe and oversees an interplanetary refugee community) has been thoroughly buried.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gavok posted:

Yeah. The game mentions that Robin killed Nightwing at some point without going into details. The comic filled in the blanks.

Nightwing did come back as the new Deadman though, if that counts.

Dr. Hurt posted:

He died in a comic tie-in to a fighting game where the world goes to poo poo because Superman becomes dictator of the world. He's staying dead because it is its own little thing that isn't connected to the general DC Universe.

Cheers. I always wonder how they decide who to kill off and if they'll ever bring them back, like if a character kills someone and they can't write their way out of a hole or because they just can't think of anything to do with the character.

Uthor posted:

Lots of comics frequently reset to new #1's. This will usually happen if a new creative team takes over or if there is a good meta-reason to renumber (all the new #1's after the universe ending Secret Wars, Thor getting new #1's after major changes to the story's status quo, etc). New readers have an easier time starting with #1's and it's easier to sell collections (even if it can get confusing over time).

That seems alright. Secret Wars that's the new big thing in Marvel, is it over now been as they are releasing new #1s?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ultragonk posted:

That seems alright. Secret Wars that's the new big thing in Marvel, is it over now been as they are releasing new #1s?

It's been scheduled to be over, but ran into delays (I think?), so new #1's are coming out, but there's a few issues left before Secret Wars wraps up. So, it's confusing at the moment.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

DC did a big slate of new #1s back in 2010 or 2011 when The New 52 rebooted the universe. They're better about that than Marvel though, even when for example Batgirl drastically changed its direction and creative team it didn't restart at #1, whereas there's been something like ten X-Men and Avengers #1s in the last five years.

Marvel restarts books at #1 so often creators have even started making fun of it with Marvel's own comics.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Uthor posted:

It's been scheduled to be over, but ran into delays (I think?), so new #1's are coming out, but there's a few issues left before Secret Wars wraps up. So, it's confusing at the moment.

Is it a straight Secret Wars 1-10 issues (or however many there are) or are there ties in you'd have to read to get the story to make sense?

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Ultragonk posted:

Is it a straight Secret Wars 1-10 issues (or however many there are) or are there ties in you'd have to read to get the story to make sense?

There are tie-ins but those are mostly off in their own little parts of Battleworld. Essentially Dr. Doom is ruling over a patchwork world of all sorts of different realities so the tie-in issues all focus on weird little worlds like Cowboy Avengers or Law and Thorder. They aren't "necessary" to the plot, but some of them do require you reading Secret Wars to understand what is going on, from what I've seen.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Dr. Hurt posted:

There are tie-ins but those are mostly off in their own little parts of Battleworld. Essentially Dr. Doom is ruling over a patchwork world of all sorts of different realities so the tie-in issues all focus on weird little worlds like Cowboy Avengers or Law and Thorder. They aren't "necessary" to the plot, but some of them do require you reading Secret Wars to understand what is going on, from what I've seen.

Thanks, I'd forgotten how confusing comics can be.

Also Law & Thorer, nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Ultragonk posted:

Mattie Franklin

Are you asking about Mattie Franklin because you're reading Alias because of Jessica Jones?