Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Certain fundamentalist churches preach that shooting abortion doctors isn't a mortal sin in the eyes of God because you're saving the babies.

Allahu Akbar The Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
It's good that they took him alive.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Luigi Thirty posted:

They deleted it right afterward :bravo:

The only moral terrorism is my terrorism.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

It's good that they took him alive.

And because he's white the media will forget about this in short order unless they can find a way to turn it into an attack on something the media finds palatable to dwell on.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Joementum posted:

To be honest, I'd rather not know what's in John Kerry's freezers.

Purple Hearts.

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
The fairness doctrine only applied to holders of broadcast licenses, so it would kill right-wing radio, which would've killed Fox News in it's infancy, but now bringing it back would leave cable news intact. Which is fine - cable is a different problem.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

There used to be a policy the media were required to follow called the Fairness Doctrine. It was abolished during the Reagan administration, which allowed the Rush Limbaughs, Roger Ailes, Rupert Murdochs, and Chuck Johnsons to proliferate print, radio and TV media with only one viewpoint on controversial issues. The FCC bringing that back would effectively put Fox News, Breitbart, and Glenn Beck out of business.

Is it going to end violence in America? No, but there will be less fueling unstable people's minds with vitriolic bullshit.

The problem with reinstating the Fairness Doctrine is that when the Supreme Court upheld it, they explicitly cited "the scarcity of broadcast frequencies, the Government's role in allocating those frequencies, and the legitimate claims of those unable without governmental assistance to gain access to those frequencies for expression of their views". (Red Lion Broadcasting Co. v. Federal Communications Commission, 395 U.S. 367 (1969)). Given that at least three of the sources you're complaining about primarily utilize a medium without even the tiniest pretense of scarcity, that would be a far weaker argument now than it was in the 60s.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Buffer posted:

The fairness doctrine only applied to holders of broadcast licenses, so it would kill right-wing radio, which would've killed Fox News in it's infancy, but now bringing it back would leave cable news intact. Which is fine - cable is a different problem.

If your goal is to kill right wing radio now all you have to do is wait about 10 years. Which is probably about as long as it'd take to try to get the votes to reinstate the Fairness Doctrine.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

badatom posted:

I don't understand why everyone's getting all worked up about this. "Stuff happens", remember?

I am shivering with anticipation for Jeb!'s great insight into this recent tragedy.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I'm trying to fathom how people don't see that the very second that these greater restrictions on freedom of speech were rolled out, they would be see to silence the left, not the right.

Do you really not think that, if hate speech laws were given more teeth, you wouldn't see it used to shut down anyone who criticized Israel's actions against Palestinians? That if libel and slander were expanded, it wouldn't be used to silence coverage of the Koch brothers? That if protest restrictions were strengthened, they would be used against abortion protesters and not against police protestors?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Fried Chicken posted:

I'm trying to fathom how people don't see that the very second that these greater restrictions on freedom of speech were rolled out, they would be see to silence the left, not the right.

Do you really not think that, if hate speech laws were given more teeth, you wouldn't see it used to shut down anyone who criticized Israel's actions against Palestinians? That if libel and slander were expanded, it wouldn't be used to silence coverage of the Koch brothers? That if protest restrictions were strengthened, they would be used against abortion protesters and not against police protestors?

This post is 100% correct. False equivalency is an American birthright at this point, and would be deployed accordingly.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
I'm trying to fathom how people can advocate for or against restrictions of freedom of speech based on political ideology.

Like Jesus Christ talk about missing the point. To support or oppose such a fundamental right based upon how well it serves your political beliefs rather than due to principle is cynicism in its most disgusting form, one that threatens the fabric of democracy and civil society.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Edit: missed some posts. Nothing to see here.

Xand_Man fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 28, 2015

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Fried Chicken posted:

Just look at that shithead billionaire Romney donor Frank Vandersloot, he already (unsuccessfully) sues everyone for libel and slander as is.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

The Iron Rose posted:

I'm trying to fathom how people can advocate for or against restrictions of freedom of speech based on political ideology.

Like Jesus Christ talk about missing the point. To support or oppose such a fundamental right based upon how well it serves your political beliefs rather than due to principle is cynicism in its most disgusting form, one that threatens the fabric of democracy and civil society.

Hm, yes, reframing Rawl's question of the original position to point out the deep problems with a stance; clearly a cynical move that threatens democracy and civil society instead of hewing to the philosophical roots of it. Good call.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you really not think that, if hate speech laws were given more teeth, you wouldn't see it used to shut down anyone who criticized Israel's actions against Palestinians?

Given that's already considered a fringe position in the mainstream media on par with UFO conspiracy theories it's not necessary.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

The Iron Rose posted:

because they're smarter than you are

if someone does not agree with the idea that moral principle trumps the utilitarian effects they may be swayed and support you based on showing the utilitarian effects are an illusion

you can do this while maintaining and advocating the moral view over the utilitarian view

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There are a lot of countries in the world with different restrictions on speech to the United States and also intact democracies and civil societies.

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

ohgodwhat posted:

Yeah, but you never hear about the children who stop maturing and remain Republicans for the rest of their lives.

http://www.theonion.com/video/gop-maintains-solid-hold-on-youth-that-already-loo-36778

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Fried Chicken posted:

Do you really not think that, if hate speech laws were given more teeth, you wouldn't see it used to shut down anyone who criticized Israel's actions against Palestinians?
Too late, that specific scenario is already happening to a degree in academia

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Is there a good primer on the school choice debate? It's an issue I know basically nothing about.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They've named the shooter in Colorado , apparently he is from North Carolina.

Robert L. Dear

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Peel posted:

There are a lot of countries in the world with different restrictions on speech to the United States and also intact democracies and civil societies.

Well, Europe seems to be trending out of civil society.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
In which Matt Iglesias argues that it's okay for quiverful parents to get 10 votes to your parents' 2.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Is there a good primer on the school choice debate? It's an issue I know basically nothing about.

School choice or vouchers, because there is a difference?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Countdown to Gunchat in 3... 2... 1...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Why did they run with the "pardoning the turkey" pic. So unusual.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Obama calls for something literally the entire Congress would have to be high to even vote on.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
From the RWM thread.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Hollismason posted:

Why did they run with the "pardoning the turkey" pic. So unusual.

If I recall correctly, he's currently in France for the climate summit.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Please grab all the guns Obama.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Mooseontheloose posted:

School choice or vouchers, because there is a difference?
School choice, but vouchers are closely related and I'd like to learn about that too.

Zwiftef
Jun 30, 2002

SWIFT IS FAT, LOL

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

School choice, but vouchers are closely related and I'd like to learn about that too.

It's a scam to take public monies and enrich wealthy people at the expense of minorities. You know, America.

http://inthesetimes.com/article/18352/10-years-after-katrina-new-orleans-all-charter-district-has-proven-a-failur

http://www.salon.com/2015/08/03/ref..._after_katrina/

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Also to promote Christian schools over public schools.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Too late, that specific scenario is already happening to a degree in academia

Political correctness is ruining our universities! :monocle:

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cythereal posted:

From the RWM thread.

I thought killing cops was a leftist thing

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Teflon Don posted:

I thought killing cops was a leftist thing

Freep types are really divided about it. The ultraright often approves of killing Obama's brainwashed jackbooted freedom-hating minions of liberal darkness. Depends on the context and which mode of thinking is more narratively convenient.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Quorum posted:

I don't think we necessarily want to beef up our slander laws, of all things. Look at the ridiculous stuff that goes on over in the various Britpol related threads, where posters are reluctant to post certain pieces of information. That sort of law is much more easily wielded by the elite against the powerless than vice versa.

Should planned parenthood be able to sue people who hack together videos accusing them of doing illegal things when they aren't doing illegal things?

Reminder, these lies lead to PP employees being harassed, stalked, and murdered.

Should people who do make this poo poo up for $$$$$ understand that when they get sued for it punitive damages will include all the fundraising they managed using the slander such that there is no financial incentive to make poo poo up?

You can certainly go to far, but there is a lot of daylight between where we are now and to far. Reminder, where we are now is chucklefucks competing to see who can tell the most outrageous lies about people they don't like. And the result of these lies is mass shootings and arson at churches and doctors offices.

These people aren't just saying things that are factually untrue. They aren't even saying false things that they believe are true. The folks behind the "selling baby parts for profit" smear campaign understood that what was going on here was voluntary tissue donation with a shipping fee. The subterfuge they went through to get the footage they edited required them to know this.

Proving that someone was deliberately lying is an incredibly high bar to reach. Setting that bar does not endanger public discourse. When you can reach it there should be punishment severe enough to make others think twice about doing the same.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Interesting that Rubio was so quick to seize on the attacks in France, so excited to talk about national security, and yet is totally silent on our genuine homegrown terrorists..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Hollismason posted:

They've named the shooter in Colorado , apparently he is from North Carolina.

Robert L. Dear

Dude was a co-pastor too, so expect the "no true Christian" to be flying fast.

• Locked thread