Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

Even with no perks and using vats a bunch, a core lasts like half an hour? And costs ~500 caps? If you're not making a thousand caps an hour in this game, I'm not sure what you're doing. You can use it nonstop starting with the one in concord if you really want to.

e: Just don't sprint. Sprinting murders cores

Mondian fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Nov 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

My only gripe with the gatling laser is how they actually use your cores. Whoever decided that it should just slot in the next highest charge each reload/switch off needs to be flogged.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Thanks to Diamond City Blues, Psychojet is my power armor. I regret nothing.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

poptart_fairy posted:

Cheers. Looks like I can safely skip them, then. Was enamored with the idea of putting rocket turrets on everything but drat they take up a lot of salvage.
Get both ranks of Scrapper ASAP, you get shitloads of circuitry and fiber optics from scrapping energy weapons, and it's a PITA to find that stuff to make tons of turrets otherwise.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yardbomb posted:

I kept waiting and waiting for someone to find it somewhere and make it known. How in the world you drop the ball this hard I just don't know.
No .223 ammo.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010

Jay Rust posted:

How often do you guys end up using Power Armor? I still haven't touched it past Concord, because Fusion Cores are expensive :(

Rarely because I like sprinting.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Goddamn cars. I just jumped on top of a car, it bounced up a bit or something and I just *died*.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

it seems like almost everyone ITT has made their main base at Sanctuary but it always seemed too remote to me so I've been holding off.

I'm thinking of settling on the Slog because hey it's got a pool and actually easier to fence off compared to the other spots (because you can just tear down and follow the plot of the crap fence that's already there) - and it seems decently big with a nice main house already there

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Jay Rust posted:

How often do you guys end up using Power Armor? I still haven't touched it past Concord, because Fusion Cores are expensive :(
I put one point into the fusion core extension perk and now I haven't taken off my power armor in two days, where I previously only used it to take out rare tough areas and then immediately fast-traveled and left it back home. The perk is HUGE.

Pumpy Dumper posted:

It legit looks like someone scrapped a plastic kids playhouse and tied it onto their body
SWAAAA-I MEAN SYYYYYNNNTTTHHHH!!!

Snackula posted:

God dammit why would you design an armor with giant eye catching screws on it when you know your game is going to distort them like that?
I think there's some FOV fuckery going on with that picture, probably due to the plastic surgery UI or something. I've never seen it do that in my game.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Earwicker posted:

it seems like almost everyone ITT has made their main base at Sanctuary but it always seemed too remote to me so I've been holding off.

I'm thinking of settling on the Slog because hey it's got a pool and actually easier to fence off compared to the other spots (because you can just tear down and follow the plot of the crap fence that's already there) - and it seems decently big with a nice main house already there

I've got every settler dumped at Sanctuary because the minutemen wanted to go there. I got a few extra settlers for tato/corn/mutfruit farming so I could make adhesives. Set up my own little thing at Red Rocket next to Sanctuary, but I'm thinking of moving somewhere else. It's not particularly central anymore as I've explored pretty much everything north of Diamond City.

Maybe I'll make a proper settlement somewhere else, but we'll see. :effort:

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I made my main base in Starlight drive in, I just built a huge loving fort for my peons to live in with a penthouse up top for me to craft and store my bubbleheads in. Since I built it in the middle of the parking lot with 20 turrets up top any attack gets taken care of before I even get to see the enemies.

I like the stealth field upgrade for power armor but guns are so hard to Iron sight with it on, any good sights that stand out more easily?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Sandweed posted:

I made my main base in Starlight drive in, I just built a huge loving fort for my peons to live in with a penthouse up top for me to craft and store my bubbleheads in. Since I built it in the middle of the parking lot with 20 turrets up top any attack gets taken care of before I even get to see the enemies.

I like the stealth field upgrade for power armor but guns are so hard to Iron sight with it on, any good sights that stand out more easily?

I think the glowing reticules on reflex (maybe glow?) sights appear through camo fields.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I had a lot of visual bugs with the camo field. Your pipboy is mostly transparent and really hard to use when camo'd, that might be intentional and I can live with it.

However sometimes the transparency visual effect seems to get "stuck" and I permanently can't open my pip-boy or map or anything until I exit and restart the game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Pellisworth posted:

I had a lot of visual bugs with the camo field. Your pipboy is mostly transparent and really hard to use when camo'd, that might be intentional and I can live with it.

However sometimes the transparency visual effect seems to get "stuck" and I permanently can't open my pip-boy or map or anything until I exit and restart the game.

That might actually be a seperate glitch where all the viewmodels just turn invisible for no reason. Opening VATS or aiming down a scope usually fixes it.

creatine
Jan 27, 2012

Earwicker posted:

I think my next play through I'm gonna go hard on settlements. Like the outer ones will be all food/water resources with artillery and my central base will be somewhere center map. Set up caravan routes to funnel food around for the middle

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
Museum of Witchcraft: Beth really tried their hardest making the Museum of Witchcraft "scary", huh. I don't even know what's going on when another loud audio cue starts playing. It's the audio that makes me jumpy, not whatever actually happens. Oh no a corpse falls down suddenly :ghost: Just let me kill that loving Deathclaw already

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is Sanctuary the biggest settlement area-wise?

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Jay Rust posted:

Is Sanctuary the biggest settlement area-wise?

Spectacle Island is the biggest.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Alabaster White posted:

Spectacle Island is the biggest.

By quite a bit, too

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Starhawk64 posted:

It's a shame for a game that takes one of the plot elements of Blade Runner the developers forgot to include That Gun.

If you're talking about Deckard's pistol from the movie, the standard 10mm gun model was made to look *similar* to it.

The long barrel mod makes the pistol look like FO3/NV's pistol

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

coyo7e posted:

No .223 ammo.

There's 5.56 which is almost exactly the same thing save for pressure. Anything chambered in 5.56 will safely cycle .223 and a lot of stuff chambered in .223 can handle 5.56.

Enos Shenk
Nov 3, 2011

Don't worry, I've been tinkering with modelling it.

Textures and such almost certain to change. It's just tough without knowing what all the specs for the various texture maps will be yet. And Bethesda's bonkers-gently caress 3d format.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Iceshade posted:

Museum of Witchcraft: Beth really tried their hardest making the Museum of Witchcraft "scary", huh. I don't even know what's going on when another loud audio cue starts playing. It's the audio that makes me jumpy, not whatever actually happens. Oh no a corpse falls down suddenly :ghost: Just let me kill that loving Deathclaw already

I actually thought that was pretty well done. Scared me some.

MarshyMcFly
Aug 16, 2012

poptart_fairy posted:

One thing I still haven't quite understood when it comes to crafting - if I remove mods from one weapon and put them in another, do I have to remove them from the second weapon before putting them into a third? I'm trying to figure out if using 12 perks on the crafting stuff is worthwhile. :v:

Once you have switched the mods from one weapon I would just store all your mods in your workshop. Then you can add them on later or swap them with another gun. Also yes. Very much yes those perms are worth it.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I just witnessed a Super Mutant Suicider kill himself and his two friends, all to murder a black bloatfly

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Alabaster White posted:

That might actually be a seperate glitch where all the viewmodels just turn invisible for no reason. Opening VATS or aiming down a scope usually fixes it.

Or switching from 1st to 3rd person. I have to do that a lot.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

blue squares posted:

I just witnessed a Super Mutant Suicider kill himself and his two friends, all to murder a black bloatfly

Hey man, they don't teach you anything but all in when you go to nuclear suicide-bomber school.

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
The thing that'll make me use the Laser Musket more is when there's a mod that makes this the sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds

:allears:

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

the lack of visibly holstered weapons is driving me nuts to an irrational degree

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
So are there just no Sturdy/Heavy helmet variants? The combat armor helmet looks really tiny once you get Heavy in the rest of the outfit. Maybe I'll start trying to put together a Heavy metal suit, the metal helmet is badass.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Just picked this up, what's the easiest way to make caps?

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

lol if you leave your power armor except to craft.

This is the best build, hth. Mod your power armor with sprint speed increase legs, unarmed damage arms and jetpack torso, load up on psychojet, then smack into people with Pain Train and murder them with cool moves all day every day.

If you want some extra oomph, you can console Sprinter effects on the legs, since there's no way to get it naturally and your underarmor doesn't count.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Yardbomb posted:

Strong is the absolute worst for friendly-fire, multiplied that much more when actually fighting super mutants. I'm sorry man you just, you all look the same to me alright. :(
This is really weird because it's a glaring indication that they really slipped up in the character design process. One of the main tenets of companion design is making sure that they're visually distinct so you don't think they're enemies. That's half the reason the talking friendly deathclaw wore a robe and cinematically threw it off whenever combat began - to subtly remind the player that he's not just another enemy. They've done this right before, and Strong is a really boring and lazy companion overall, he kinda feels like someone said, "oh yeah, we should really include a super mutant companion because people like them. Hey Marty, come up with a name and motivation and some reason for him to encounter the player, probably will take you what, 3 hours?"

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bold Robot posted:

Kill dudes, pick up their things, sell their things to Carla

E-Tank posted:

The thing that'll make me use the Laser Musket more is when there's a mod that makes this the sound effect.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tNJeS6O6ds

:allears:

Well, you're in luck
http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/2395/

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Bold Robot posted:

Sell stuff*

* there are very few vendors in the game to start with and it will probably be a while before you find one. Take ranks in Local Leader and whatever the barter perk is to build your own shops. By the time you can do that you will have enough cast-off gear to always run them out of caps and keep your ammo topped off.

E: inventory management is becoming a pain. I have separate containers for:

gear I'm selling
gear I will eventually (lol) distribute to my settlers across the wasteland
guns I have outgrown but I think are kind of cool so I won't sell or give them away
Armor parts I have outgrown but I think are kind of cool so I won't sell or give them away
clothes
pre-war / unused / clean junk to decorate my house with, tabletop frames with cat pictures
tools for the guy who buys tools
High-end crafted food reserves
special Nukas and fine liquor
a million T45 and Raider power armor parts
pre-war money and gold / silver trinkets

Pretty much all of these containers are in my power armor garage, and hovering over any one of them causes the game to stutter because they are all jammed full of poo poo.

titties fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Nov 28, 2015

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Bold Robot posted:

Put down generators, make lots of water purifiers, sell Purified Water for phat caps.

--

2060, good year :monocle:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

poptart_fairy posted:

One thing I still haven't quite understood when it comes to crafting - if I remove mods from one weapon and put them in another, do I have to remove them from the second weapon before putting them into a third? I'm trying to figure out if using 12 perks on the crafting stuff is worthwhile. :v:

Yes, every mod is actually its own little entry under the "mods" section of your inventory. If you've got weight that you don't know what it is, you've probably been sticking gun or armor mods in there and forgetting about them.

However, mods aren't universal. Every mod operates off of a particular chassis.

For guns, this is determined by the base receiver. If you make a recon scope for a pipe pistol, for example, it can only go on other pipe pistols and pipe pistol derivatives. (There are actually three separate pipe receivers: pipe pistol, pipe revolver, and pipe bolt-action.) Most gun locations except for the muzzle have a basic component that you'll need to craft to take a mod off, so that if for example you find a legendary exploding assault rifle and you want to swap your tricked-out assault rifle mods over to it, you'll need to make basic parts for your tricked-out rifle in order to take the mods off.

For armor, this is determined by the basic armor type and location - chestpiece, arm, leg, or possibly limb. However, "sturdy" and "heavy" variants of an armor type are considered the same basic armor chassis, so if you make a polymer insert for a combat armor right arm, it can come out and go in a heavy combat armor left arm. However, you can take the mods off of armor and return it to the baseline without crafting anything.

Melee weapons are a bit the same as armor, in that you don't need to craft anything to take mods off of them.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

titties posted:

* there are very few vendors in the game to start with and it will probably be a while before you find one. Take ranks in Local Leader and whatever the barter perk is to build your own shops. By the time you can do that you will have enough cast-off gear to always run them out of caps and keep your ammo topped off.

If you wander around the area near sanctuary a bit there are at least a couple to get you by, one of the settlers at Abernathy farm is a merchant, and there's a trader just east of the drive in, and at this point I'm pretty sure Carla lives in Sanctuary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pumpy Dumper posted:

I've really not found a combo of armor I like so right now I just have ballistic weave mk 4 on a courser outfit and walk around with a .44 revolver killing rogue synths

How did you do this? I couldn't upgrade the courser outfit.

• Locked thread